The NEW Sierra Wrestling All-Stars Thread!

unimportantguy
Community Member

Re: The NEW Sierra Wrestling All-Stars Thread!

Postby unimportantguy » Sun May 28, 2017 4:03 am

From this week's SWA TV: Raye Groves defends the Aftermath Championship against unimportantguy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN9qvQoBMKo

Spoiler: show
Raye Groves will defend the Aftermath Championship again in two weeks' time, against Raven Briars.

unimportantguy
Community Member

Postby unimportantguy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:41 am

This week, Sierra Wrestling All-Stars takes a break from the Summer Tag League to bring you TITLE MATCHES:
https://youtu.be/tPFq02KLAfI

SWA Aftermath Championship: Raye Groves (c) d. Raven Briars via Rolling Cradle to RETAIN
SWA Tag Team Championships: High Fly Heroes (Dash McCaine and Ashlyn Reed) (c) d. Kara Stern and Jane Englund via Dashed Hope to RETAIN
SWA Joshi Championship: Mieko Suzuyama (c) d. Jasmine Bellamny via Figure-Four Leglock to RETAIN
SWA World Openweight Championship: Blaze d. El Rey Dorado via Disqualification, El Rey Dorado RETAINS

Raye Groves will defend the SWA Aftermath Championship again in two weeks time, against Toxico

unimportantguy
Community Member

Postby unimportantguy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:36 am

This week, Raye Groves defends the SWA Aftermath Championship against the Purple Peril, the one, the only, Toxico!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu6aFKw2oS0

Raye Groves will defend the SWA Aftermath Championship again in two weeks' time, against Damien Long

unimportantguy
Community Member

Postby unimportantguy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:48 am

From this week's SWA TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-r4c_MWX8c

Raye Groves' next title defense will be in 3 week's time, on the SWA Pay-Per-View show, SWA Emergence. As such, it will not be uploaded onto the free YouTube channel. The opponent has not yet been publicly announced, but I heard the Angry Wrasslin' Nerd might know something...

Shoot comments follow:
This also will give me some time to check out Fire Pro Wrestling World, and decide whether and how quickly I want to roll out the World version of SWA.

unimportantguy
Community Member

Postby unimportantguy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:03 am

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... 1113775060

The SWA Joshi Collection for Fire Pro Wrestling World is now published on Steam!

unimportantguy
Community Member

Postby unimportantguy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:39 am

And now, the SWA Men's Collection is also up:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... 1123574243

unimportantguy
Community Member

Postby unimportantguy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:48 am

I've been lax in my duties as the chronicler of SWA for this thread, as well as in my duties bringing over the Angry Wrasslin' Nerd's excellent tumblr posts. For now, though, I managed to at least update the PPV results, championships, and trophies. I'll try to get some more stuff up here soon. Summer's always a super busy time for me, which is why the thread tends to get so slow then. Interesting results coming out of Emergence, with some implications for the future.

unimportantguy
Community Member

Postby unimportantguy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:37 am

Sorry it took me so long to bring this over, but here's the Nerd's review of July's Emergence PPV. He really tore apart the undercard; I thought those matches were fine with the exception of BHB vs. Los Diablos, but even that was fine except for the ending.

The Angry Wrasslin' Nerds Wrassleviews: SWA Emergence 2017
Emergence has a weird place in the SWA PPV canon. It usually takes place right after or during a large group of debuts for the company, and the booking is often all over the place as the newcomers settle into their roles. In fact, this year’s Emergence was notable for not having a debut on it, and the only new talent on the show in a match of any note were DEFCON-1. No sign of new hires like unimportantguy or Tommy Powers (thank fuck), and El Hijo de Toxico was buried in the undercard in one of the more unspectacular SWA PPV matches in the last few years, but we’ll get to that quickly enough, because that match is first up.

BHB vs. Los Diablos
A Study in Scarlet were a surprising team in this year’s SWA Summer Tag League. The unlikely teaming of Lina and El Hijo de Toxico made it all the way to the A-Block Finals before being eliminated by DEFCON-1. What was an even bigger surprise was the announcement that the duo were joining on with BHB, expanding the team from a tag operation to a full-on stable. This was our first chance to see the expanded BHB in action, with El Hijo de Toxico teaming up with Kazuo Saji to face the ever-annoying Los Diablos pair of Fabio Silva and Aguijon Tachibana.

This match could’ve been good. The matchup certainly had potential, but it devolved pretty quickly into the standard Los Diablos fuckfest; the exact same kind of horseshit we’ve been forced to tolerate on SWA TV for a year now. You all know the routine by now: Fabio Silva distracts the referee with steel chair shenanigans while Aguijon Tachibana shamelessly cheats his ass off behind the ref’s back. If there were ever any doubt that professional wrestling referees are the dumbest individuals on the planet, Toby Russel’s performance in this match was all the proof you need. The fact that Silva and Tachibana did end up getting disqualified at the end of it after a gallingly blatant double-team punt to Kazuo Saji’s groin is cold comfort. This match was feculent fucking garbage, and SWA should be ashamed of putting crap like this out there for the paying Pay-Per-View audience.

The Nerd’s Rating: Fuck this Stupid Shit/10

Samael Tangaroa and Blaze vs. The Kings of Summer
Ominous tidings with this match-up, featuring the return of Samael Tangaroa to SWA PPV. Samael has always been a purveyor of fine, high-quality conspiracy theory whackjobness, and I’ve learned to tune most of it out at this point. But in the weeks leading up to Emergence, he started saying things about a Brotherhood, and mentioning that the end was night for SWA, and the last time he started talking like that, we got fucking Los Diablos. So let’s say I’m a bit nervous about what could be coming out of this.

The match itself was mostly nothing, leaving us 0 for 2 for good matches on this card. Kings of Summer were a fun little team in the Summer Tag League, but it was clear enough from the beginning that they weren’t going to be setting the world on fire. There were a couple wheezing gasps of hope for them, but the Tangaroa/Blaze team was fairly dominant here.

But why would Blaze team with Samael? What does he have to gain from this? Where is all this going? I have a bad feeling about this, guys.

The Nerd’s Rating: Mediocre/10

Beyond2000 vs. The Partycrashers

Our third tag-team match in a row, and after the first two, I was already starting to feel pretty done with this shit, especially with the unnerving prospect of one of these great teams having to leave SWA forever. At this point in the evening, I was getting ready to write this Pay Per View off as a disappointment, but I’ll be damned if they didn’t choose that exact moment to kick this shit into overdrive. Both teams were at their very best, and this was the first really, honestly good match of the evening. I just don’t know if it was worth saying goodbye to Beyond2000 in SWA.

The Nerd’s Rating: I’m so Conflicted/10

Lina vs. Raye Groves
Now we’re getting somewhere. After an admittedly tepid undercard, this PPV started really getting its wheels behind it here. Raye Groves had a dominant run as Aftermath Champion through the late spring and early summer, and SWA was remarkably cagey about who he would be facing at Emergence. While fan rumors went wild, SWA did not officially announce Groves’ opponent until the match itself, generating significant hype over who the “mystery opponent” might be.

When it came time, and Lina’s music hit the arena, the crowd came absolutely goddamn unglued, and that hype carried on through the match as these two wrestled their hearts out. Raye Groves has beaten some high caliber opponents in his time as Aftermath Champion, but Lina gave him the fight of his fucking life. Groves threw everything he had at Lina, from power throws, to mat submissions, to high flying, to outside brawling. Lina brought it right back in spades, reminding everyone that she is, in fact, still one of the pound for pound strongest women in SWA as she slammed Raye Groves as if he weighed nothing at all. At the end of it all, the Little Big Man was that fraction of a hair slower than Lina, as she countered a Spinning Death Ray into the mother of all Stagecrashers for the win and the loudest pop of the night.

The Nerd’s Rating: Face-Melting/10

DEFCON-1 vs. High Fly Heroes
The only problem with this match, really, was that it was on a card too flush with tag team matches. Four of the seven matches on the Emergence card were tags, and the audience was getting hungry for some singles action. Otherwise, this was easily the best of the night’s tags by a country mile, and a great showcase for the up-and-coming Sophie Volkov, who had ample opportunity to show off her power and technique as she threw Dash McCaine and Ashlynn Reed all around the arena. Unfortuantely, the night did not belong to the winners of the Tag League, as High Fly Heroes once again proved their ability to overcome the odds.

In all honesty, this match would probably work better in a vacuum, without the context of the show itself. Within the show, there were just too many other tags to make this match feel special. By itself, this could easily come across as a much better match. It’s a weird sensation when the show itself detracts from the match, but here we are.

The Nerd’s Rating: Worth re-watching/10

Kaori Nakajima vs. Mieko Suzuyama
Sometimes, it feels really good to be wrong. I know I wasn’t alone in being surprised by the fact that this match even happened, and I certainly wasn’t alone in not having high hopes for it. While Suzuyama and Nakajima are known to be close friends and occasional tag team partners, it seemed pretty clear to most fans that the Joshi Ace was on a whole other level from her friend Nakajima.

Well, I don’t know if it was the venue that night, or what, but this match delivered. Kaori Nakajima proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that she can be just as hard-hitting, just as technically sound, just as tough, and just as relentless as her more popular friend, and the resulting match had a lot of jaws being scraped up off the floor. I, for one, came away from this match totally ready for a critical re-examination of Nakajima’s body of work, and I’m pretty damn excited to see what she does as Joshi Champion!

The Nerd’s Rating: An Awesome Surprise/10

Connor Cipris vs. El Rey Dorado
Okay guys, remember the Nerd of a couple months ago saying he was disappointed in Connor Cipris’ performance at Aftermath and hoped Cipris would have a better strategy going in to Emergence? Well halle-fucking-lujah. Christmas came five months early and this shit right here is exactly the reason to watch professional wrestling. This match had it all, baby. Technical mat wrestling, big counters, high-flying, some massive slams and suplexes, a tense brawl that went throughout the arena, and an absolutely heart-stopping finish.

And did I mention schadenfreude? That’s right, folks. Not only is the year-long reign of terror perpetrated by El Rey Dorado over, but he tapped the fuck out. Blade Breaker; middle of the ring; nowhere to go. After the past year of asshattery from El Rey Dorado and Los Diablos, watching him cry out in agony as he squirmed and struggled in a futile attempt to get out of the Blade Breaker was exactly what I needed. Seeing exactly how much it pained El Rey to tap out, knowing that it meant losing the title... oh man. It was just the fucking best. Goodbye to the fucktastic reign of El Rey Dorado, hello to your new SWA World Openweight Champion, Connor Cipris. May his second reign with the title be better than his first.

The Nerd’s Rating: Hell. Fucking. Yes./10

unimportantguy
Community Member

Postby unimportantguy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:44 am

So I just realized that I didn't do any sort of notification when I did this.
WE'VE MOVED!

The 2018 SWA thread can be found at the link above, or by browsing through the World of E-Feds section. Come see what's been happening in 2018!