the Madness of March

jdel

the Madness of March

Postby jdel » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:00 am

Hello all, I see the place has undergone a bit of a makeover since I last dropped by. Had to find a new av and everything, the horrors.

Anyways, for those you you with long memories for utterly inconsequential things I mentioned here last year that I used FPR to sim my NCAA March Madness bracket, which was mostly a disaster except for the fact that it somehow picked the correct National champ. My goal as always is to use nonsense to defeat as many of my friends brackets, those which are picked with effort and knowledge, as possible.

The problem I ran into last year was that while I seeded based on total number of edit points (which is admittedly flawed, but so is the actual tourney seeding) by just picking the in-game wrestlers from Misawa down in descending order resulted in the "points spread" between higher and lower seeded wrestlers being to narrow to result in even sane looking results.

This is where I could use some advice from you fellows who have surely simmed a ton more than I have in this game. Basically, using a metric such as edits points, what kind of edit point spread should I be looking at for a 64 entrant tourney so that the 15 and 16 seeds have little chance but that the top ones aren't untouchable long term and that cinderellas still have a chance of occurring without there being six of them out of eight games in a single region in the opening round? I'm excluding the MMA fighters as they are too different for predictable results and likely setting criticals to high to help the underdogs out a bit, and I don't want to make the tippy top guys too strong as there are really no great NCAA teams this year, but beyond that I don't have a good feel for what range of wrestlers I should aim for a given range of seeds that will produce something that seems reasonable.

So yeah, any advice offered would be appreciated. I'll make sure to put up the bracket here before the tourney takes place so anyone interested (all one and a half of you (OG supports everything and I love him for it)) can follow how well Firepro can simulate real life.
I told ya, if you let me out of my cage, I'm gonna pile the bodies to the sky!

-Necro Butcher

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Re: the Madness of March

Postby orochigeese » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:56 pm

Welcome back, Justin Delible!!! :D :markout:

Always great to see you and cool that you are going to do another March Madness tournament!!

I don't typically run big leagues or tournaments anymore (that LTR that initially put OG-FPD on the e-fed map is a thing of the past :lol: ). It's a little hard to come up with a point range that will allow for basic competition with the low seeds while still making it more likely that the dominant seeds win. But my best advice would be to focus less on the overall point total and look more at the specific offensive/defensive point totals. A 180 point edit may not even be more dominant than a 150 point edit depending on where the points are distributed. If that 150 point edit has a 10 in punch and uses a lot of punches, they may be more dominant.

With that said, sssuming that the overall point totals actually do semi-represent the offensive/defensive point totals, then I think a 20-30 point range is probably a pretty good one for allowing the possibility of upsets.

jdel

Postby jdel » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:08 pm

Always good to see you as well OG.

I unfortunately lack the free time to really dig into the edit stats as much as I'd like to (it's also why my Firepro time is down to basically yearly super tourneys these past few years, that and the old e-fed I used to be part of biting the dust) which is why I default to edit points, as flawed as they are.

I actually had a friend point me in a decent direction off another idea I had: pick each edit by comparing to some sort of team-based statistic. I'm not sure which stat I'm going with (the two options seem to be the Pomeroy ratings or BPI minus variance (I don't know what any of those ratings mean, friend pointed me towards them)) but by using either it seems to get the point spread between #1 and #64 at about 20% with the first rating and a bit more with the second; hopefully that'll be enough. The only place I have to cheat is with the play-in games as those take place a day or so beforehand and... well I still watch the matches sim and have a job.

The real tourney starts in a bit over a week so I'll try and set this up and sim it on next Tuesday.

-Necro Butcher

jdel

Postby jdel » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:04 am

Couldn't find a good free online bracket things, so have scans of the two pieces of paper I used to lay out and keep track of my tourneys. Beware my horrific chicken scratch writing.

http://i.imgur.com/Xb6G86q.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2EBSmre.jpg

And the equivalent NCAA bracket, which should be viewable by others once the tourney starts after noon or so on Thursday.

http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-cha ... ID=6544324

Fun notes from the tourney itself:

- The very first match ended up with the number one overall seed in the actual tourney losing to a critical chair illusion despite having a 140 or so edit point advantage, at this point I remember that I forgot to set criticals down from high. Totally won't be an issue.

- 15 seed takes out the 2 seed in the same region as A) criticals and B) my enjoyment of Murakami the wrestler made me forget that he fights like a MMA guy in this game which is problematic.

- Iwasa follows up on his fluke chair illusion victory by somehow almost beating Hashimoto via countout in the next round via shenanigans, got the count up to 18.

- The sweet 16 saw a battle between Brody and Dynamite, who won the previous two years' NCAA tourneys. I think Brody has some of the most efficient AI in terms of winning matches as he goes for king kong kneedrops early and often, but when Dynamite gets aggressive like he did in this match he can do so much damage in such a short period of time.

- Bret Hart made the final four by winning every match up to that point with timely roll-ups. The thing is that he really leaned on the random heel tactics he has as he when he got in trouble he would regularly resort to the ball shot.

- My personal cinderella is always Nakanishi and he did not disappoint, coming one match short of the final four. He also had the match of the tourney against Kensuke. Nakanishi took an early advantage only to fall behind after Kensuke did some crazy damage outside the ring until they just started trading bombs with each other. At about the 20 minute mark they went to some rarer moves that end with a pin, Kensuke busting out the volcano eruption in the center of the ring for a razor close 2.9 followed by Nakanishi following up with a pair of perfectplexes for near falls. Finally he got the hercules cutter and managed to put the #2 seed away.

- ...but ultimately the story of the tourney was lariats. Hansen and Kojima tore their way through each side of the bracket by just taking everyone apart with their own versions of the lariat until they met in the finals in a battle to see whose was strongest. Hansen's was but it was a very strong final match with Kojima looking very close to winning the whole thing until Stan caught that one final lariat to close the show.

So yeah, fun times and Firepro believes that Indiana is gonna win the whole thing. Let's see if it can guess the right eventual champion in back to back years!

-Necro Butcher

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:19 pm

I love that the tournament came down to lariats and how both Hansen and Kojima walked a stoic path to the finals :D

- The very first match ended up with the number one overall seed in the actual tourney losing to a critical chair illusion despite having a 140 or so edit point advantage, at this point I remember that I forgot to set criticals down from high. Totally won't be an issue.

:shock: :hahaha: :oops:

Oh wow, that is the way to start a tournament with a bang!!!!

- Bret Hart made the final four by winning every match up to that point with timely roll-ups. The thing is that he really leaned on the random heel tactics he has as he when he got in trouble he would regularly resort to the ball shot.

Bret Hart: "I don't see what the problem is. This is based on basketball, right?"
"Yes, but you aren't supposed to ball shot, you're supposed to shoot the ball."
*Shrugs*

:D

- My personal cinderella is always Nakanishi and he did not disappoint, coming one match short of the final four. He also had the match of the tourney against Kensuke. Nakanishi took an early advantage only to fall behind after Kensuke did some crazy damage outside the ring until they just started trading bombs with each other. At about the 20 minute mark they went to some rarer moves that end with a pin, Kensuke busting out the volcano eruption in the center of the ring for a razor close 2.9 followed by Nakanishi following up with a pair of perfectplexes for near falls. Finally he got the hercules cutter and managed to put the #2 seed away.

Damn that sounded awesome!! That's cool that your personal favorite put on the match of the tournament and progressed so far. Sounded like an excellent match with so much extra on the line with advancement!

So yeah, fun times and Firepro believes that Indiana is gonna win the whole thing. Let's see if it can guess the right eventual champion in back to back years!

If so, the NCAA may chase you down :shock:

Thanks for posting all of this and it sounded like a VERY enjoyable tournament!! :D

jdel

Postby jdel » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:33 am

I return here at the time of greatest hope, as while I am in last place among the group of my friends I have the most possible points left of anyone on the board, an enviable position.

It is also a moment of truth time as my two longshots still standing have both begun playing their next games and things will either take a step towards actual glory or utter destruction in the next hour and a half or so. I choose to believe in the power of Firepro to predict the future, something which is totally not insane in the least.

-Necro Butcher

jdel

Postby jdel » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:50 am

...Firepro cannot predict the future. Moment of truth went poorly, every team lost, no hope whatsoever.

Still~

While the final results were poor, it did a decent job of selecting the right dark horses. Ignoring the one region decimated by criticals to the top two seeds, three of the teams it predicted to make the final four teams make it to the sweet sixteen and while only the #1 seed made it to the elite eight (where it lost) the other two teams were ones unlikely to make it that far (particularly the #11 seed Gonzaga, who lost in the final minute). Two of those games flip and everyone else is ruined while this bracket is in strong shape. I choose to take that as encouraging.

We'll try this again next time and see if it goes any better. Either that or I'll just fill out the bracket based on who has the cooler looking logo.

-Necro Butcher

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:56 am

I saw the Gonzaga game and that was really close. Fire Pro couldn't have predicted some of the chaos in that game :lol:

Too bad that Fire Pro didn't win the bracket for you but it sounds like it did pretty well.

jdel wrote: Two of those games flip and everyone else is ruined while this bracket is in strong shape. I choose to take that as encouraging.

Agreed :markout:

jdel wrote:We'll try this again next time and see if it goes any better. Either that or I'll just fill out the bracket based on who has the cooler looking logo.

Put the logos into Fire Pro and see which ones are in the best matches. Seed accordingly :lol:

jdel

Postby jdel » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:52 am

Hey... it is once again March, the Maddest of all months. A blizzard is also starting, but that is neither here nor there.

I have once again resumed my mad quest to make FPR, in perhaps its last year before retirement, accurately predict a basketball tournament. I've managed to run the first 32 person tournament and... the results look realistic. In the five or so years I've done this that has never happened. Let's look at the how! First, a screenshot of my spreadsheet that shows that I am totally not insane at all.

A quick explanation: AdjEM is some advanced basketball stat I don't understand that rates each team according to something or other; the fact that I cannot understand it must obviously mean that it is incredibly smart and hence incredibly accurate. As the stat can go into negative figures I add 4.66 to it across the board as it takes the lowest rated included team's score up to exactly 1. I then multiply them all by 4.9 to make the stats be on a scale slightly smaller than the edit point totals in FPR. Finally I add 60 points to every score as it increases the lowest score up to 65 points, exactly where it needs to be to use Kuishinbo Kamen who is I believe the lowest rated fellow in the game. It also puts the highest score at about 245 points which... gives me just about an ideal edit point range.

For those in school or who use math in their daily lives: don't use anything you see in that above paragraph ever.

I also set criticals to low and tried to avoid using wrestlers with "exotic" critical types when I could manage it.

When the bracket is done simming I will try to upload an image of it, but fun stuff from the first half:

-Of all things, the match of the tourney so far is Blue Wolf's upset of Giant Baba. Wolf just started throwing out big moves from the start including a jackhammer about 3 minutes in. Baba happened to bust Wolf open early and for whatever reason every simmed move seemed to attack the cut for a while, be it overhead chops to the crown of the head or coconut crush knee stomp thing. The pace gassed Baba out but despite this he took about as many big moves I've seen an edit take without staying down, except whenever he got going himself he had to stop to catch his breath. Eventually after 24 or so minutes he finally hits his big running neckbreaker drop and gets up not-winded in time to go for the pin... except right as he is close enough to pin Wolf randomly jumps up and hits an angle slam to finally get the 3 count.

-The story of the tourney might have been the folly of Ishii. Ishii got matched up against Vader and brought the fight to him in a manner that actually shocked me. He brawled with him, took the advantage and managed to hit a few powerbombs and a couple of his big brainbusters. He then grabbed Vader by the head and headbutted him as hard as he could, busting Vader wide open. The very next move was a Vader powerbomb and a 3 count. Vader, seemingly in a blood rage, shifted from a guy almost upsetted in the first round to an unholy terror. He laid unholy waste to the Great Muta in the next round and scored the tourney's lone critical 5 minutes into the match off a powerbomb that likely would have gotten the 3 count anyways. The following match was against a Nagata who was wrestling like he might win the whole thing; he barely got in any offense and was pinned in seven minutes. If not for having to face Kobashi in the semis and finally being felled by an absurd barrage of lariats he might have won the entire thing, the moral of the story being to never make Vader bleed his own blood.

-I rarely use Lou Thesz in these things (he's really strong and was my #1 overall seed in this whole thing) but I did this time and he had a very impressive run. After a first round squash of a Brahman he faced Marufuji in perhaps the greatest styles clash in history. Maru despite getting beaten horribly made a late run and even scored a two count on a late top rope splash. Marufuji as per his custom took a ganso bomb on the hardwood floor. After that Thesz ended up in what became an absurd piledriver battle with Hawk before clashing with Stan Hansen in the semifinals. It was a rather competitive matchup with Thesz holding a slight advantage until he irish whipped Hansen into the corner. He approached him and... stepped right into an absolute game changing lariat. He survived it but wasn't able to last long after, never really regaining any sort of momentum.

-I also had a double count-out in the first round which is... problematic given that every basketball game must have a winner. I will likely have to re-sim that later on as a singles match and plug a winner in.

-The finals ended up being another battle of the lariats, last year's winner Hansen matched up against Kobashi. The lariats were actually the story of the match as while Kobashi took advantage and managed to hit a few of his own he did everything in his power to avoid Hansen's, countering or avoiding several of them and managing to maintaining just enough control. Eventually Kobashi busts out a burning hammer and gets the pin... except Hansen is in the ropes. He picks up Hansen to follow up and at that moment Hansen finally nails the lariat and falls on top of Kobashi in the middle of the ring for the 1... 2... 3!!! No wait, it was a 2.9 and Kobashi won with a lariat a couple minutes later, but it was one hell of a nearfall.

Kobashi moves on to the finals and hopefully I don't lose power for the entirety of the next two days so I can sim the other half.

-Necro Butcher

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:58 am

Yes, it's back!! :markout:

Laughing so hard at the math comment :lol:

Love how Ishii basically turned Vader into a SUPER MONSTER with the headbutt. Wow. That's what happens when you flash red in front of a bull, even if it comes from the bull!

Kobashi/Hansen sounded awesome!!

You're in the storm path too, huh? Yeah, I'm hoping we don't lose power or else March Madness may take on an entirely different meaning ...

Spoiler: show

jdel

Postby jdel » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:57 am

We were in the storm path and... we ended up getting like 6 to 8 inches. Storm of the century my arse.

Still, had power and got to sim the rest of the tourney which ended up being just a bit less realistic. Alas my scanner isn't working so I can't share the full tourney bracket either. Still, the remaining highlights:

-For the sin of having a double count out Saito and Sekimoto got put into a barbwire death match. Not a bad match, got double juice, favorite spot was Saito putting Sekimoto in a boston crab with his face right on top of a barbwire bat.

-Which wrestler represents each team is always fair but sometimes lines up great. My favorite was nearly Jeff Jarrett representing Middle Tennessee but I don't think anything could top Mr. Ass-Based Offense himself Koshinaka representing... Butler :)

-The big story was a bunch of second round upsets throwing the entirety of the tournament into chaos, but this actually manifested itself in two vastly different ways in the two different regions.

-The top of the bracket was defined by a pair of destroyers emerging, those being Taue and Jamal. Taue started the tourney with three straight squashes, including a second round toppling of that region's #1 seed in Terry Funk. I swear at least half of the moves he threw were powerbombs, big boots and an absurd variety of chokeslams. Jamal was in somewhat more competitive matches but generally won via his amazing ability to squish people. In particular his corner Vader Bomb felled a number of competitors. He met Taue in the finals of his region and bested him in a bomb-throwing contest after a pair of fire thunder drivers.

-The bottom of the bracket was instead the story of how one upset gave an underdog the most sweetheart of draws. Tatsutoshi Goto, all 151 edit points of him, managed to pull off a second round upset of region #1 Kensuke Sasaki in relatively easy fashion. In contrast, the rest of this half of the bracket saw the favored wrestlers win a series of pyrrhic victories. In particular the #2 and #3 seeds Akiyama and Mil Mascaras endured some of the most nightmarish beatdowns you will ever see an eventual winner take. The fresh Goto kept winning relatively easy victories over superior opponents who were coming into the matches barely able to stand and kept falling to a series of his apparently patented back suplexes. He eventually toppled a mostly destroyed Akiyama to win the region, and then toppled a Jamal who came off a war with Taue.

-...The thing is, though, that due to this being two separate 32 person tourneys the final match is a singles match with two completely fresh competitors. After a series of crippled opponents Goto was rewarded with a chance to go one-on-one with a Kenta Kobashi at 100%. Beyond this he ended up facing a Kenta Kobashi who decided to ignore whatever his logic said to do and made it his quest to cripple the cinderella of the tournament. Goto fired back as best he could with his back suplexes but Kobashi responded with a barrage of chops and lariats that would make the hardest man weep. He did not go for the burning hammer... he went for three burning hammers, the final of which was outside the ring on the goddamn floor. Kobashi saw what Goto did in his half of the tourney. Kobashi decided to take no chances. Kobashi decided to teach Goto a lesson. Kobashi lost. I don't know how and I watched the damn thing. He did not go for pins when he should of, Goto kept going for his backdrops and by god he toppled Mr. Die Hard himself with them.

This bracket is gonna lose my pool by a lot in all likelihood because of this (unless Seton Hall wins the national championship, in which case OMG). Still, I can't be mad. I rooted against Goto throughout the tourney because of the likely damage he was doing to my odds of winning. I rooted against him because he just caught a series of lucky breaks and rode them to the finals. Yet when the luck ran out, when he had to face an absolute legend who threw nothing but hell at him he somehow won a match he had absolutely no right walking away from. Salutations Tatsutoshi Goto for today you are legend~

-Necro Butcher

Kristofferson
Community Member

Postby Kristofferson » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:39 pm

jdel wrote:-...The thing is, though, that due to this being two separate 32 person tourneys the final match is a singles match with two completely fresh competitors. After a series of crippled opponents Goto was rewarded with a chance to go one-on-one with a Kenta Kobashi at 100%.

Apologies if I've missed something but I didn't think there was any damage carried over to subsequent rounds in FPR :?: So Goto would have been wrestling all his opponents at 100%.

jdel

Postby jdel » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:19 am

Kayfabe, you fool!

I have no idea if it does or does not. I do sense there is a kind of momentum in these tournaments, whether it is due to actual damage carrying over, some other hidden "special sauce" in play or simply me seeing things that don't actually exist. That said I always look for whatever story presents itself and go with it, so Goto totally snuck his way into the finals and then in his moment of truth fought his heart out to show that he still deserved it.

-Necro Butcher

Kristofferson
Community Member

Postby Kristofferson » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:10 am

I was kinda hoping that something had been discovered in tournament mode that I didn't know about...

...I almost didn't post because I thought you were talking kayfabe but I was curious enough to ask. Plus mixing a fantasy situation with the mechanism of the FPR match types is a wierd sort of kayfabe.

jdel

Postby jdel » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:45 am

Sorry if it was confusing, I didn't mean to throw anyone off or anything. I honestly have no hidden info but I've assumed for years that some damage carried over (with some obvious recovery between rounds) based on the tourney results I've gotten, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just random luck I ascribed meaning to.

Also I'm a weird sort so that would be par for the course for me, OG can attest to that :P

-Necro Butcher

jdel

Postby jdel » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:02 am

Quick update on how it is going at the end of Day 3

...and Fire Pro has lead me to sole possession of first place!!!

That would be great, except PPR stands for possible points remaining and, umm, yeah that's grim. Still under 24/7 hardcore rules that would make me a likely 14 or so hour long champion which ain't too bad 8-)

-Necro Butcher

jdel

Postby jdel » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:16 am

New year, new tourney... New Fire Pro :shock:

I used the same mathematical approach as last year (scroll up for details), as logical and absurd as it has ever been. It should have work even better as with thousands of edits to choose from getting exact numerical matches should be a breeze. There was just one slight complication I hadn't really considered due to my inexperience with the new game: there's no easy way to look up the total edit points in-game due to the workshop set-up, and no master list to check out as there was with FPR as there's very few pre-made wrestlers included.

So! Instead I just typed numbers into the Steam workshop search hoping that enough edit makers included the point totals in their descriptions (if Rev or CaptainHowdy happens to stumble across this, bless you both as you were lifesavers). The downside is that it proved difficult to keep things to less than a dozen or so different edit makers, some of whom had rather different ideas when it came to logic and not spamming top rope signature moves in the opening minute. Beggars can't be choosers though, and it meant the first round was full of surprises and terrible mistakes on my part.

Random highlights:

-A low ranked Ahmed Johnson made the final four, which is a little bit odd. What was very odd is that I eventually came to refer him as Ahmed "workrate" Johnson as he just kept having great matches. He had the highest rated match of that first 32 person tourney (96% vs Hennig) and aside from a random squash of Hulk Hogan to make said Final Four they were all dramatic matches full of nearfalls and dramatic reversals of fortune. His sweet 16 match against Andre the Giant was one of the most entertaining on that side of the bracket. Ahmed Johnson, who knew?

-I absentmindedly picked a ref for the second 32 person tourney who ended up being Joe Higuchi. I actually had to scrap the tourney halfway through the first round, schedule the remaining matches as exhibition ones and continue as a 16 man tourney as I wanted it to be finished before I died. He basically could only count to three if you pinned your opponent on the upper half of the ring and relatively near him. This culminated in a 50-minute match between Magnum TA and Jake Roberts that had so many ddts and belly to belly suplexes with both men just beating each other to death, sadly mostly contained to the bottom half of the ring.

-The silver lining in this is that it lead to the most compelling storyline of the tourney, the against all odds cinderella run of Magnum TA. He should have been easy pickings after the absurd war that was his first match (I know damage doesn't really carry over >_> ) and had to face a murderer's row of high level opponents who beat the hell out of him, but he was such an amazing fiery babyface who would not give up or stop swinging. He was always just a belly to belly away from either buying himself some time or scoring a flash pin.

Against Kenny Omega he took a rainmaker knee followed immediately by a one-winged angel and managed to kick out at 2.9, only to hit a belly to belly for a 2.9 of his own as each man tried desperately to hit their big move one more time, with Magnum getting to it first. Against Naito he was clearly outclassed all match to the point it seemed near the end that Naito was toying with him, but he hit a belly to belly right next to the ref that produced a true flash 3 count (I think if he hit it near the bottom half of the ring it would have just been a 2). Against Kokushi Musuo (Hakushi Mutoh) he survived the cheapest, big move spamming edit I've come across (I think he hit a moonsault in the first 3 minutes of every match he had, sometimes multiple) to advance to the final four, where finally his belly to belly could not save him from one more superior opponent.

-That superior opponent was Goldberg, who managed to win the whole thing. This was sort of best case Goldberg as while not all of his matches were compelling, he had a pair against Daniel Bryan and Ric Flair that were about as good as any other match in the tourney. They really showcased brute force vs. technique (or cheapshots with Flair) as in both matches he started off shrugging off their offense until he was slowly being broken down and finding himself in true peril, being bailed out both times by a last-second show of explosive strength (and benefiting from a finish that ends in a pin). The final match was against a low-seeded Meng who simply beat his way to the finals and had a truly spirited brawl in the finals. Early on each man tossed the other outside the ring, exited and nearly got counted out, at which point they re-entered the ring, got into a strike exchange and just brawled from that point forward. Meng eventually kicked out of a jackhammer at 2.9, locked on an outside the ring tongan death grip at about the 15 or 16 count which resulted in an absurdly dramatic potentially double count out tease before a second jackhammer sealed the deal.

-Shoutout to the late 80s Ric Flair I was worried about because it had a high point total and was from an edit maker I wasn't familiar with as it was just a blast to watch. It made full use of the priority slots to put a ton of personality into the matches. Flair often doing a beg off taunt after a weak grapple chop to simulate a no sell, or having the edit do a woo taunt after reversal back kicks or the late match low-likelihood brass knux shot (and tying that taunt into a pin), it might be old news to those here but it really opened my eyes to the new possibilities this game offers.

-Oh yeah, the team that FPW simulated winning the whole March Madness thing? Michigan State, the same team Barack Obama picked to win as a dark horse. Clearly this means he is also using Fire Pro to pick his bracket :markout:

-Necro Butcher

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:28 am

Welcome back!!!! Hope you are having a great year so far :oooiknow:

jdel wrote:New year, new tourney... New Fire Pro :shock:

:D

jdel wrote: Beggars can't be choosers though, and it meant the first round was full of surprises and terrible mistakes on my part.

jdel wrote:-A low ranked Ahmed Johnson made the final four, which is a little bit odd. What was very odd is that I eventually came to refer him as Ahmed "workrate" Johnson as he just kept having great matches.

I can't tell if this was meant to be under the "surprise" or "terrible mistake" category :lol:

jdel wrote:-I absentmindedly picked a ref for the second 32 person tourney who ended up being Joe Higuchi. I actually had to scrap the tourney halfway through the first round, schedule the remaining matches as exhibition ones and continue as a 16 man tourney as I wanted it to be finished before I died.

Yikes, that is definitely frustrating. By the time he would have been done with the original tourney, we'd have a new Fire Pro.

jdel wrote:-That superior opponent was Goldberg, who managed to win the whole thing. This was sort of best case Goldberg as while not all of his matches were compelling, he had a pair against Daniel Bryan and Ric Flair that were about as good as any other match in the tourney. They really showcased brute force vs. technique (or cheapshots with Flair) as in both matches he started off shrugging off their offense until he was slowly being broken down and finding himself in true peril, being bailed out both times by a last-second show of explosive strength (and benefiting from a finish that ends in a pin).

That's cool. I think Fire Pro can be at its best when it has that total clash of styles with edits.

jdel wrote:The final match was against a low-seeded Meng who simply beat his way to the finals and had a truly spirited brawl in the finals. Early on each man tossed the other outside the ring, exited and nearly got counted out, at which point they re-entered the ring, got into a strike exchange and just brawled from that point forward. Meng eventually kicked out of a jackhammer at 2.9, locked on an outside the ring tongan death grip at about the 15 or 16 count which resulted in an absurdly dramatic potentially double count out tease before a second jackhammer sealed the deal.

It seems like your game basically booked a Thunder main event from 1999 :lol:

jdel wrote:-Shoutout to the late 80s Ric Flair I was worried about because it had a high point total and was from an edit maker I wasn't familiar with as it was just a blast to watch. It made full use of the priority slots to put a ton of personality into the matches. Flair often doing a beg off taunt after a weak grapple chop to simulate a no sell, or having the edit do a woo taunt after reversal back kicks or the late match low-likelihood brass knux shot (and tying that taunt into a pin), it might be old news to those here but it really opened my eyes to the new possibilities this game offers.

The taunt after strikes have been one of my favorite parts of the game for the past month :markout:

Sounds like this was a very fun year for the tournament!! Inaugural World-wide March Madness :numberone:

jdel

Postby jdel » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:05 am

orochigeese wrote:
Sounds like this was a very fun year for the tournament!! Inaugural World-wide March Madness :numberone:

I actually named my bracket Titus & Fire Pro Worldwide :D

So the goal, as always, is to beat a real bracket. This year it was slightly more likely due to the absolute insanity of all those high-ranking seeds falling early and often, yet it all came down to today (hence why no follow-up until now). KSU, the 9 seed in their region represented by the legendary Meng, ended up a game away from the final four. If they made it, that would be 80 more points which would put the bracket even with two real brackets. Moreso it would give them the chance to win one more game and 160 more points, which would mean Fire Pro World would likely out-predict roughly half of the brackets it was up against.

All that stood in the was was an 11 seed represented by a 98 year old Sister. Meng vs an almost nun, almost centenarian and... Meng lost :shock:

So yeah, bracket finished in last place, I blame the Kokushimusou edit. On to next year~

BTW OG, the first tourney... well tourneys I ever ran was back on FPD where I ran 16 individual tourneys to determine the 16 entrants in a grand finale tourney. After all of that the final match was Big Show vs Goldberg, and it ended via the infamous frontface lock elbow to back of head pinfall. Since then both Fire Pro Big Show and Goldberg have been on my... list, and Goldberg having the chance to ruin another tourney for me was a potential worst case scenario. Thankfully he did really good most of the tourney so he is redeemed.

...Screw Big Show though :twisted:

-Necro Butcher

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:21 am

jdel wrote:I actually named my bracket Titus & Fire Pro Worldwide :D

:lol:

jdel wrote:All that stood in the was was an 11 seed represented by a 98 year old Sister. Meng vs an almost nun, almost centenarian and... Meng lost :shock:

Turkey Neck is a perfect defense to the Tongan Death Grip :lol:

jdel wrote:BTW OG, the first tourney... well tourneys I ever ran was back on FPD where I ran 16 individual tourneys to determine the 16 entrants in a grand finale tourney. After all of that the final match was Big Show vs Goldberg, and it ended via the infamous frontface lock elbow to back of head pinfall. Since then both Fire Pro Big Show and Goldberg have been on my... list, and Goldberg having the chance to ruin another tourney for me was a potential worst case scenario. Thankfully he did really good most of the tourney so he is redeemed.

...Screw Big Show though :twisted:

I think I remember that tournament, I definitely remember the Big Show vs. Goldberg match and your resulting doldrums from the finish :lol: Sounds like Goldberg redeemed himself big time (right in time for the HoTF announcement :lol: ) but Big Show is still in the dog house.