Replicating aging wrestlers?

For general discussion of Fire Pro Wrestling World topics and news.
rippermadrox
Community Member

Replicating aging wrestlers?

Postby rippermadrox » Thu May 17, 2018 12:10 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions on this. I'm trying to make current, "old-man" versions of guys like the Rock n' Roll Express for my modern indy roster. If I start with the young version, I'm struggling with just how to replicate their modern version. Obviously, they should be slower, less high flying, and have overall lower stats since they're mostly wrestling lesser known indy guys and other old guys. But, they also bump a lot less, and that's where I'm hitting a wall. I want them to be able to have good matches, where young guys do most of the work, slow matches with other old dudes, and just get totally shit-canned by top-tier main event guys like Lesnar or Cena. Any suggestions, especially on stats & ukemi settings would be very welcome.

MBXfilms
Community Member

Re: Replicating aging wrestlers?

Postby MBXfilms » Thu May 17, 2018 12:48 pm

I really liked this idea after the Wrestlemania 25 match of Jericho against Snuka, Piper, and Steamboat.

They just don't have much ukemi; they won't just take moves. But they may still have the high spirit. Just slower and weaker in spots.

Controlling the high flying is great now because you can just link it to 1 or however many moves in the priority.

And maybe more standing strikes, Legends usually stand there and strike more than doing throws and such. They way they are entering less grapples that they may have to bump for. Always going for their chop or jab or whatever their signature strike is.

FlashBurton
Community Member

Postby FlashBurton » Thu May 17, 2018 1:19 pm

It's an interesting topic, I've tried to do it with a few of the aging NJPW guys. Kojima, Lyger, Tenzan, Nagata etc & I've pretty much done what's been suggested on here. I used the FPRW defaults & toned their stats down, slowed them down, increased strikes & increased "brawl" & strike grapple moves with a big emphasis on Signature moves & Finishers

I left Ukemi as default but I like your point about them taking less bumps, I'm not really sure how it could be done. It's not like the opponent will use less throwing moves & the like because they're facing an old timer or a New Japan dad

AndreTheShadow
Community Member

Postby AndreTheShadow » Thu May 17, 2018 2:52 pm

I have a couple of 'aging' guys. They mostly stick to the ground, they don't have any huge, impressive moves, and their specials don't come out until very late. They don't Irish whip often, and if they do, their run logic is really low (like sub 10% total).

They may also have weak limbs and bodies, for example, and lower defenses to submissions and big slams. They move very slowly. Any "big move" (dive, elaborate slam, etc) will come out very late and be a high percent pin follow up. They may rely on more taunts to get the crowd going.

Their breathing is usually also lower, so they gas out a lot faster.

DM_PSX
Community Member

Postby DM_PSX » Thu May 17, 2018 10:21 pm

I made an aging Luchador for my Heroes of Lucha promotion. He's 70, can barely move, and only comes out for trios+ matches at big events.

His stats are all shit, except his punch offense which is 10.
He is set to stall more than anything, and 0 running.
Return style GIANT and 0 flexibility. He doesn't want to run or leave his feet.
He works mostly holds that look like he is leaning on his opponent for support, with a sub stat of 1.
In the later match he starts to use his signature move strikes, which are supposed to be sold like they are godly.
In the downed state, he either picks them up, does the standing pin, or uses that 1 sub that looks like he is leaning on them. He doesn't bend all the way down for anything.
His cooperation is super high, and he only does easy to do tag moves where he doesn't need to leave his feet or lift too much.
He tags out at the drop of a hat.

So basically he ends up in the match, rest holds, and if appropriate a big strike. Then he gets out.

Do a less extreme version of that. And link the big strikes to taunts in priorities. Link the main taunt into another taunt at lower percentage. The old guys are all about stalling and fan fare. Use as much taunting as you can get away with in the logic screen.

kikrusher99
Community Member

Postby kikrusher99 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:31 am

Maybe with the new addition of custom layers we can get forehead wrinkles and liver spots layers to help with adding as well. :lol:

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:12 pm

My two 'older in age' edits are mostly slower (in speed stat), lower in limb strength in some places, and tend to work much more grounded, technical styles.

One also has 'Start Dash' but his actual Offensive Params are LOWER than his peers, on average. Start Dash is solely to reflect him gassing during the match.

The two are also still relatively competitive, though. DM_PSX's notes for his still sound hilariously effective for someone who is there for show and not to potentially win haha.

DM_PSX
Community Member

Postby DM_PSX » Fri May 18, 2018 10:59 pm

Severla 2.0 wrote:The two are also still relatively competitive, though. DM_PSX's notes for his still sound hilariously effective for someone who is there for show and not to potentially win haha.

He DOES win, and he gets high match ratings.

DM_PSX wrote:Only in Fire Pro could something like Caballero Blanco work. He's 900 years old. He stumbles around the ring at a snail's pace, never running, never leaving his feet, and not even bending over to pick someone up. He has a 1 in every stat except his punch(9) and rough (4 i think). He spends most of the match with headlocks and standing submissions used as weardown holds. His standing shoulder hold just looks like he is leaning on the opponent for support. When he gets to large damage he starts whipping out the strong standing strikes, flexing his 'god fist' and then using a standing pin.

Match rating, 90+%. Almost every time.

rippermadrox
Community Member

Postby rippermadrox » Sat May 19, 2018 7:20 pm

DM_PSX wrote:I made an aging Luchador for my Heroes of Lucha promotion. He's 70, can barely move, and only comes out for trios+ matches at big events.

His stats are all shit, except his punch offense which is 10.
He is set to stall more than anything, and 0 running.
Return style GIANT and 0 flexibility. He doesn't want to run or leave his feet.
He works mostly holds that look like he is leaning on his opponent for support, with a sub stat of 1.
In the later match he starts to use his signature move strikes, which are supposed to be sold like they are godly.
In the downed state, he either picks them up, does the standing pin, or uses that 1 sub that looks like he is leaning on them. He doesn't bend all the way down for anything.
His cooperation is super high, and he only does easy to do tag moves where he doesn't need to leave his feet or lift too much.
He tags out at the drop of a hat.

So basically he ends up in the match, rest holds, and if appropriate a big strike. Then he gets out.

Do a less extreme version of that. And link the big strikes to taunts in priorities. Link the main taunt into another taunt at lower percentage. The old guys are all about stalling and fan fare. Use as much taunting as you can get away with in the logic screen.

I'm also wanting to make a modern Honky Tonk Man, and may just steal every bit of this. :biff:

Loving all the other suggestions too. Big Time Wrestling comes near me every few months and its usually The RnR Express, Barbarian, Buff, and other 70s-90s guys, so I'm wanting to have a decent roster for them.

senator
Community Member

Postby senator » Sun May 20, 2018 2:24 am

Caballero Blanco sounds like someone I'd like to book in the Office some day. He sounds like a blast!

I have a whole stable of old veterans in the Senatorial Office, called the Old Guard. Most of them are the organization's trainers and mentors, and while they do get their wins in sometimes, they pretty much follow many of the same guidelines that have been posted already. They can't take much damage, they generally have weak conditioning, and their movesets are less flashy. But on the flip side, most Old Guard members can stretch the mess out of people, have a few gimmicks that keep them in the fight and know how to pace themselves. They don't win shootouts, but they can catch people on a bad night.