YAY Sportsball! Do The Thing! Win The Points! (General Sports Thread)

Timberwolf
Community Member

Re: YAY Sportsball! Do The Thing! Win The Points! (General Sports Thread)

Postby Timberwolf » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:30 pm

Zealot wrote:
Owner Bob Baffert also became the first owner in ~80 years to win 2 Triple Crowns. Obviously a name that needs to be taken seriously for future Triple Crown race bets to see what his stables produce in the future.

Do you know if the same jockey rode both horses in the triple crown achievements? That's something else to consider if a jockey is able to do that. While a horse is usually the one to receive the accolades when winning a race, the jockey should be also be given credit for guiding the horse to victory.

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:26 pm

No. American Pharaoh was jockeyed by Victor Espinoza and Justify was jockeyed by Mike Smith. Both of those jockeys have over 3000 career wins including multiple triple crown races to their names.

While having a seasoned jockey that can work with at times emotional horses is important, getting the finances together to breed capable horses is definitely the most important aspect for stables.

Pharaoh and Justify both have lineages going back decades covering greats like Secretariat, Seattle Slew, and Man o'War among others and those stud fees do not come cheap for successful horses like that. I think I read something that Justify's stud rights alone after the Belmont are estimated to be as high as $75 million.
ImageImage ImageImage

wet_dog_smell
needs a bath

Postby wet_dog_smell » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:40 am

USA, Canada and Mexico are going to jointly host the 2026 FIFA World Cup!

Dave
Community Member

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:21 pm

Makes me feel a bit bad for the other CONCACAF countries, tbh, 'cause I imagine they'll make the extra host spots by reducing the number of CONCACAF qualification places. If I were one of say, like Honduras, Trinidad or Jamaica, I'd defo be calling horseshit.

wet_dog_smell
needs a bath

Postby wet_dog_smell » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:45 pm

Dave wrote:Makes me feel a bit bad for the other CONCACAF countries, tbh, 'cause I imagine they'll make the extra host spots by reducing the number of CONCACAF qualification places. If I were one of say, like Honduras, Trinidad or Jamaica, I'd defo be calling horseshit.

In 2026 the World Cup gets expanded to 48 teams so I'm presuming CONCACAF gets extra places.

Dave
Community Member

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:15 pm

More dilution of the quality of football AND more cutting into pre-season for a few extra quid in sponsorship, aye? Fucks sake.

wet_dog_smell
needs a bath

Postby wet_dog_smell » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:40 pm

Dave wrote:More dilution of the quality of football AND more cutting into pre-season for a few extra quid in sponsorship, aye? Fucks sake.

From what I've read the wonderful fellows at FIFA are planning for the tournament to last 32 days. And yes extra teams means more money for FIFA and more than likely those teams will be shit.

I could write an essay on how money has ruined the beautiful game.

Dave
Community Member

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:14 am

You'd probably be telling me nowt new.

All you have to do is look at the Scottish Premier Division(or any other league with only 1 team regularly making the CL) final league tables to see the obvious damage done by the Champions League TV money.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:52 am

I'd argue that money has ruined professional sports in general.

As for the 2026 World Cup, I'm pretty indifferent to it overall, even with my little burg apparently trying to put in a bid to host (it won't happen; it's not a "sexy" city).

"Somebody" has to host it and the U.S. has been begging after it for a while. Much as I like watching the World Cup, I wouldn't be caught dead trying to go to a match. Just too much hassle for it to be fun, personally.
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

Dave
Community Member

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:39 am

I dunno, really, back in the days of "No more than 3 foreigners" I got why we had a World Cup, but at this point it's just a replay of the CL played over 6 weeks with the teams/players shuffled.

AndreTheShadow
Community Member

Postby AndreTheShadow » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:02 pm

So hype for the World Cup. Shame that the opening match is this sorry excuse, though.

Dave
Community Member

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:39 pm

Should also note that I went to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWG1Uig1v-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn5oe8bcQ40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_wG61DGxpE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5QQKuqaNOo

I went last season, as well, and have to say it was much better last time, as the games were mostly no-contests this time, and last season also had an epic 90 yard solo run try.

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:18 am

Expanding the WC to 48 teams is a totally pointless and ridiculous concept.

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:58 pm

I like it because it opens up the competition for more national team diversity, but I can understand the greed concept as well for FIFA.

Russia winning 5-0 against Saudi Arabia is interesting. Not so much that Russia is good because the group will still be difficult with Uruguay and Egypt, but because Saudi Arabia was so bad. I think it shows that maybe Russia could sneak into the knockout stage if the home crowd wills them on. I also think it shows that the AFC teams are going to really struggle in this tournament.

Spirited performance though by Egypt without Salah. Sad to see them give up the lead late though. A draw for them would have been huge.

El Marsh wrote:As for the 2026 World Cup, I'm pretty indifferent to it overall, even with my little burg apparently trying to put in a bid to host (it won't happen; it's not a "sexy" city).

Arrowhead Stadium is listed among the venues for 2026 unless I'm thinking this wrong. Cincinnati on the other hand isn't a "sexy city" either but they have one of the venues being the totally shit Paul Brown stadium. Yuck.
ImageImage ImageImage

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Too bad Lambeau Field is not among the venues listed. I think it would be cool to see a Cup match in person.

Dave
Community Member

Postby Dave » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:45 pm

Zealot, for what you need to know aboot the expanded tournament, just look at the quality that made it past the first round of the previous Euro Champs, or some of the shite(Celtic etc.) that get absolutely spanked in the CL first round.

As much as I hate elitist horseshit, there has a point where someone says enough is enough. Maybe they could use the co-efficient points that decides how many CL places each country gets to split the CL and UEFA Cup places between countries, but keeping the UEFA Cup winner slot in the CL. For instance, there'd be no English/Spanish/Italian or whatever teams in the UC, but at the same time, no Scottish/Norwegian/Andorran or whatever else teams in the CL except the UEFA Cup winner, or maybe the previous quarter finalists.

Not only would it make more sense in the context of being able to sell it better to advertisers for the money men, but from a footballing standpoint we'd see an improved standard in both tournaments due to the fact that teams would be better matched leading to less 8-0 walkovers that no one wants to see.

I also feel a 48 team World Cup is a step backwards from this, and we'll just see more teams like the Saudis, who no offence to the guys, but are basically the quality equivalent of Conference teams.

Fun fact: 10 years ago, I'd've went absolutely radge if someone laid down an opinion like that, but I don't see the point of watching walkovers.

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:00 pm

Again, both sides of the expansion argument has their advantages and disadvantages. Either way, I think we'll be seeing a lot more of these multi-country/continent bids for future World Cup events as that seems to be much more favorable for the scheduling and venues needed.

Just got done watching Morocco/Iran. What a heartbreaker for Morocco.
ImageImage ImageImage

wet_dog_smell
needs a bath

Postby wet_dog_smell » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:49 pm

The whole point of FIFA expanding the World Cup is for one reason, money. They are a bunch of greedy bastards, yes it would be nice to see Trinidad and Tobago at the World Cup but they may get slaughtered, but FIFA don't care, they say it's for the good of the game, but the reality is it's more cash for them.

At club level I've always said the UEFA Champions League should be for CHAMPIONS of a country, not teams who finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th in the bigger European Leagues(and I'm a Liverpool supporter). And with that said UEFA are money grabbing bastards as well.

I must also say I go and watch my local team play a few times a season (I've done this for years as going to watch Liverpool is very expensive), funny thing is they play in the Premier League and have qualified for Europe for the first time since 1966. When I see things like that I can say football is the beautiful game.

Dave
Community Member

Postby Dave » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:36 pm

I dunno, man. I've been to Albion Rovers.

Whilst half-joking there, how that place isn't condemned is beyond my understanding. I'm not shitting you here, but the terracing doesn't even have any concrete(ash and wood slats, deadly serious) and you nearly choke from all the shit that gets kicked up when someone scores.

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:07 pm

Cristiano Ronaldo is as efficient at scoring as he is at evading taxes. Did he injure himself carrying the entire team on his back at the end there?
ImageImage ImageImage

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:55 pm

Well boys, it's been a good ride but the end times are clearly upon us: Mexico has defeated Germany in a World Cup match

Utterly unbelievable
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:18 pm

Huge upset defeating the defending champs there. Maybe Mexico has a chance to actually get past the quarterfinals this year.
ImageImage ImageImage

wet_dog_smell
needs a bath

Postby wet_dog_smell » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:58 pm

Mexico played really well I thought. I'm not looking forward to watching England tomorrow at all.

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:46 pm

England got lucky thanks to the wunderkind that is Harry Kane.

Meanwhile, as far a Colombia goes, take the gun and shoot your foot. Dreadful performance against Japan so far for a team I had pegged to possibly challenge for 3rd place. A red card in the 3rd minute was an ominous sign.
ImageImage ImageImage

Dave
Community Member

Postby Dave » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:59 pm

Did Kane actually score it or was it like an own goal and he was holding his hand up and going "MINEMINEMINEMINEMINE!"?