fpwarena Discord

C-Drive
Web Ninja

fpwarena Discord

Postby C-Drive » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:59 am

Public Invite Link is back Live - just click through to join the conversation:

https://discord.gg/TFEa34M

I apologize for what happened this evening, but we've always been a small community full of usually decent people so there wasn't really any reason to lock things down so much. Now that a few idiots decide to spam the channel there will be a few more steps to get on it. Let's reintroduce the discord after the raid/meltdown bullshit that took place this evening.

You will have to be a member of Discord for five minutes, and a member of the channel for ten before being able to post.

Settings and restrictions have been set in place, offensive posts have been deleted and mod team has been increased to cover all the time zones.

Current Admins (as of 4/2/18):

• C-Drive (but know that I'm not a regular on the Discord)
  • wiredcrackpot (brick9mm)

Current Moderators (as of 4/2/18):

• maikeru 2k19
  • soak314

Public invites have been removed (for now, probably will re-instate it in a week or two). A new tier of channel members, called 'Geesefolk' - because I really couldn't think of anything else off hand in the rush to fix shit...have been created and they have the power to create invites (as do the mods). If you want an invite to the discord I recommend contacting one of these folks here on the forum via PM or myself.

Current Geesefolk (as of 4/2/18):

• Firehawk
  • Hana-chan
  • KaoticPersona
  • Professor Voodoo
  • TheAceThatRunsThePlace
  • Dawnbreaker
  • Phimeek

If there's anyone who is active on the Discord and has been for a while now, you can probably get Geesefolk status. Just post here or send me a PM.
FPWR Save Conversion Kit v1.3 (2016-09-06)
Use this toolkit to easily convert .max and .psu files into the PlayStation Network (PlayStation 3) format, convert saves between regions, or load .max and .psu files into .ps2 files quickly - and more!

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Re: fpwarena Discord

Postby Zealot » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:45 pm

I have no clue what happened as I'm not on Discord all that much (Anyone can feel free to PM me on the details), but it's a shame how a few rotten eggs can really spoil the batch.

I'll have to continue looking into Discord down the road since I've acquired a mic and it seems to be livelier at times than the forums.

Here's to hoping that the rule changes will keep things more civil.
ImageImage ImageImage

craziej2k
Community Member

Postby craziej2k » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:26 pm

Yeah, last night was an... interesting introduction to the fpwarena discord! Any idea when it's going to be back up?

ninjabrute
Community Member

Postby ninjabrute » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:37 pm

Zealot wrote:I have no clue what happened as I'm not on Discord all that much (Anyone can feel free to PM me on the details), but it's a shame how a few rotten eggs can really spoil the batch.

I'll have to continue looking into Discord down the road since I've acquired a mic and it seems to be livelier at times than the forums.

Here's to hoping that the rule changes will keep things more civil.

Nobody voice chats in the discord. It's basically IRC but better. And we're a fun bunch. Yesterday was the first of any real issues, and what happened shouldn't be able to happen again.

ninjabrute
Community Member

Postby ninjabrute » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:40 pm

craziej2k wrote:Yeah, last night was an... interesting introduction to the fpwarena discord! Any idea when it's going to be back up?

It was never down. It's now invite only, thats all.

KingRadical
Community Member

Postby KingRadical » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:05 pm

No more public invites? Well I guess we have as many people in the community as we're ever gonna want and don't want any new ones, huh?

This seems like an overreaction. I'm glad you added more staff but turning the community into an exclusive little club where you have to know somebody doesn't seem like a good idea.
M O S T R A D

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:23 pm

Discord is only a small piece of the FPWArena puzzle. It's by no means the be all, end all of the community. I find it hard to even compare its 'exclusivity' to the forums which really are not that exclusive to begin with.

The restrictions are relatively minor compared to other communities I've seen and if a trusted moderator in C-Drive feels that it is necessary to prevent future mishaps, I'm all aboard with it.
ImageImage ImageImage

C-Drive
Web Ninja

Postby C-Drive » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:04 pm

KingRadical wrote:This seems like an overreaction. I'm glad you added more staff but turning the community into an exclusive little club where you have to know somebody doesn't seem like a good idea.

If you want the ability to invite folks you could have just asked.
Use this toolkit to easily convert .max and .psu files into the PlayStation Network (PlayStation 3) format, convert saves between regions, or load .max and .psu files into .ps2 files quickly - and more!

Wonderland
Community Member

Postby Wonderland » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:13 pm

terrorists win

maikeru
Community Member

Postby maikeru » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:47 pm

KingRadical wrote:No more public invites? Well I guess we have as many people in the community as we're ever gonna want and don't want any new ones, huh?

This seems like an overreaction. I'm glad you added more staff but turning the community into an exclusive little club where you have to know somebody doesn't seem like a good idea.

like, personally, i think that it's not wholly necessary so long as we have an active mod team, but nonetheless, it probably wouldn't hurt to include some sorts of things to tamp down on low-effort raiding. A rules channel with a bot, for example, that only adds access to the other channels once new users have read and comply with the rules, for example.

Having said that, this response, in turn, seems like an overreaction itself.

brick9mm
Community Member

Postby brick9mm » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:39 am

maikeru wrote:
KingRadical wrote:No more public invites? Well I guess we have as many people in the community as we're ever gonna want and don't want any new ones, huh?

like, personally, i think that it's not wholly necessary so long as we have an active mod team, but nonetheless, it probably wouldn't hurt to include some sorts of things to tamp down on low-effort raiding. A rules channel with a bot, for example, that only adds access to the other channels once new users have read and comply with the rules, for example.

Having said that, this response, in turn, seems like an overreaction itself.

Indeed.

Active mod team with the power to quickly suppress a low effort "raid" means there's no reason to not leave the link up for public use. Hell, there's no reason to have a "mod team" if the link's not up anymore, since there's nothing to mod, usually.

I think it's important to leave the link up because while yeah someone could be a public nuisance for a little bit we're now equipped to stop that as soon as it starts. The link being up publicly helps build the community in a way, it'll be especially true when the PS4 version comes out. Having it be invite-only sounds good in theory but in practice, ehhh.

KingRadical
Community Member

Postby KingRadical » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:08 am

C-Drive wrote:
KingRadical wrote:This seems like an overreaction. I'm glad you added more staff but turning the community into an exclusive little club where you have to know somebody doesn't seem like a good idea.

If you want the ability to invite folks you could have just asked.

No, I don't want the ability to invite folks. I want people to be able to find the community and become a part of it organically rather than having to ask anyone for an invite, because that'll just lead to people not doing it.
M O S T R A D

Mister Zurkon
Community Member

Postby Mister Zurkon » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:59 pm

I didn't even know FPA/C had a discord.

C-Drive
Web Ninja

Postby C-Drive » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Mister Zurkon wrote:I didn't even know FPA/C had a discord.

Had a discord icon in the header forever. Want an invite?

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:15 pm

So is "Discord" voice or keyboard-centric?
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

Mister Zurkon
Community Member

Postby Mister Zurkon » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:24 pm

El Marsh wrote:So is "Discord" voice or keyboard-centric?

Both, but all the ones I use are keyboard.

C-Drive wrote:
Mister Zurkon wrote:I didn't even know FPA/C had a discord.

Had a discord icon in the header forever. Want an invite?

Sure

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:59 pm

Ah cool

I laugh.....a lot. It can be distracting. Lol
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage

Mister Zurkon
Community Member

Postby Mister Zurkon » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:06 am

AFAIK most of the time when people use voice chat on Discord it is for group/team gaming chat, instead of using public or on console/in game chat.

Dawnbr3ak3r
ControlFrenzy

Postby Dawnbr3ak3r » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:17 am

El Marsh wrote:Ah cool

I laugh.....a lot. It can be distracting. Lol

It's basically a modern ancestor to the old Mibbet and IRC chatrooms.

A microphone is only useful if you want to speak to people verbally (in a designated room) instead of through text. I've used Discord for both.
The_PR_Dragon wrote:Dragons, Emus, and Wolves are all hearing impaired. Sounds about right.

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:33 pm

Because I'm deaf, I don't use voice. So if anyone tries to speak to me, sorry, but I won't respond because I won't hear you. I do text only.

Dawnbr3ak3r
ControlFrenzy

Postby Dawnbr3ak3r » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:42 pm

Timberwolf wrote:Because I'm deaf, I don't use voice. So if anyone tries to speak to me, sorry, but I won't respond because I won't hear you. I do text only.

You wouldn't be able to hear them in a text channel anyways.
The_PR_Dragon wrote:Dragons, Emus, and Wolves are all hearing impaired. Sounds about right.

AndreTheShadow
Community Member

Postby AndreTheShadow » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:32 pm

What is this discord of which ye speak

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:55 pm

AndreTheShadow wrote:What is this discord of which ye speak

PM sent.

C-Drive
Web Ninja

Postby C-Drive » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:10 pm

Just updated the original post - I've officially elevated wiredcrackpot (brick9mm) to Admin status on the discord. He pretty much has all the power I do.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:30 am

What a name for a moderator!

xD
ImageImage