Am I oblivious to controls, or is this just a button mash?

shyguygamer
Community Member

Am I oblivious to controls, or is this just a button mash?

Postby shyguygamer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:07 am

I've tried absolutely everything here. I understand triangle is basically run/irish whip. I've seen the vid of the guy explaining weak vs. strong and critical, but really, the only way I've ever won a match is button mashing. I've tried the strategy of weak grapple, one-tap, rapid-tap weak grapple plus direction button. Literally the only thing that works is button mashing between square and x until you can hit circle or your finisher.

ArachnidSoul
Community Member

Re: Am I oblivious to controls, or is this just a button mash?

Postby ArachnidSoul » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:20 am

I think you should set the match difficulty to 1. The game isn't about button mashing, its about getting your timing down. Once you get a feel for the timing, the game will make sense to you. It's much less of a button masher than many other wrestling games. You really only need to button mash to break out of being pinned or being locked in submission holds.
-Arachnidsoul (YouTube.com/ArachnidSoul)
Fire Pro Wrestling World Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fireprowrestlingworld

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:22 am

Whats the skill setting at? Make sure you start off at 1, until you get the hang of it, its just practice and timing really.....

shyguygamer
Community Member

Postby shyguygamer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:38 am

ahh yep, probably skipped over that since I'm used to the easy/med/hard settings. thanks.

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:26 am

shyguygamer wrote:ahh yep, probably skipped over that since I'm used to the easy/med/hard settings. thanks.

Once you get the hang of the controls, you will beat any wrestler like they are jobbers on level 1 or 2....

Carlzilla
Community Member

Postby Carlzilla » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:20 am

Also, keep in mind that even if you win a grapple, it will still be reversed if you're trying for circle moves at the beginning of the match.

You've got to work up to things in FirePro.

October Raven
Community Member

Postby October Raven » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:55 am

It is the exact opposite of button mash.
Proving Ground Championship Wrestling: Weekly TV based E-Fed
#FLSoverMLS

My YouTube Let's Play Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzhF75 ... TfnVvGi8hw WATCH LIKE SUBSCRIBE RECOMMEND TO PEOPLE PLZ

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:59 pm

October Raven wrote:It is the exact opposite of button mash.

In Spike wrestling, buttons mash you! :shock:

fullbug wrote:Whats the skill setting at? Make sure you start off at 1, until you get the hang of it, its just practice and timing really.....

That's a good suggestion 8-)

I would recommend though that before shyguygamer even starts on CPU Level 1, set up a match between 1P vs. 2P and just control the 1P. Don't have anyone using the 2P side. That wrestler will just stand there, allowing you to test all types of moves including strikes and especially grapples (from all grapple positions). The value here is in watching and listening to see the exact moment that the animation of the collar and elbow tie up stops. That is the time to hit the button. You have to wait for that animation to stop. You'll learn that, even against a wrestler not controlled by anyone, if you press any button too early before the collar and elbow tie-up animation is complete, nothing will happen. An early button press is ignored and often makes it impossible to time it right. That realization will stop button mashing. You're aiming for timing precision here and you can start to learn that against a 2P opponent not controlled by anyone. If you can't get the timing right against the 2P opponent, even a CPU level 1 opponent will be too hard and confusing.

kikrusher99
Community Member

Postby kikrusher99 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:19 pm

Work on strikes against 2P or you will never figure out the distance on some of the moves. I still miss so much more than I hit. Hope they fix this in World.

vverhei

Postby vverhei » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:53 pm

orochigeese wrote:I would recommend though that before shyguygamer even starts on CPU Level 1, set up a match between 1P vs. 2P and just control the 1P. Don't have anyone using the 2P side. That wrestler will just stand there, allowing you to test all types of moves including strikes and especially grapples (from all grapple positions). The value here is in watching and listening to see the exact moment that the animation of the collar and elbow tie up stops. That is the time to hit the button. You have to wait for that animation to stop. You'll learn that, even against a wrestler not controlled by anyone, if you press any button too early before the collar and elbow tie-up animation is complete, nothing will happen. An early button press is ignored and often makes it impossible to time it right. That realization will stop button mashing. You're aiming for timing precision here and you can start to learn that against a 2P opponent not controlled by anyone. If you can't get the timing right against the 2P opponent, even a CPU level 1 opponent will be too hard and confusing.

This is exactly how I learned to play. You said this, but it's important enough to repeat and emphasize: Pressing the button too early will screw you.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:59 am

vverhei wrote:You said this, but it's important enough to repeat and emphasize: Pressing the button too early will screw you.

Exactly. I lose more because I hit the button too early than because I hit it too late. Took me a while to really get a sense of patience and confidence in that patience to wait for the right time. I used to have eagle eyes for the Fire Pro D collar and elbow tie up animation. I never quite got that mastery for KOC II though.

kikrusher99 wrote:Work on strikes against 2P or you will never figure out the distance on some of the moves. I still miss so much more than I hit. Hope they fix this in World.

My first success early on with striking in FPD was with the Pancrase fighters. I really liked their strikes. They reminded me of fighting game strikes. A lot of their kicks had a comfortable range and predictable speed behind them. The middle kick was especially useful for me and allowed me to finally get the timing for at least one strike. After that point, I was able to slowly branch out to other strikes. To this day I really am more comfortable with landing kicks over punches in Fire Pro. Something about them just feels more natural.

kikrusher99
Community Member

Postby kikrusher99 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:14 am

orochigeese wrote:My first success early on with striking in FPD was with the Pancrase fighters. I really liked their strikes. They reminded me of fighting game strikes. A lot of their kicks had a comfortable range and predictable speed behind them. The middle kick was especially useful for me and allowed me to finally get the timing for at least one strike. After that point, I was able to slowly branch out to other strikes. To this day I really am more comfortable with landing kicks over punches in Fire Pro. Something about them just feels more natural.

I'm the same way. I think it's that the distance is easier to gauge that with punches.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:03 am

I think it's definitely the distance and also the angles. A lot of the mid and high kicks have very clear and straight angles whereas the punches will sometimes have hook motions that make it difficult to see where the punch will land unless you are really familiar with that move. That's one reason I like the uraken/spinning back fist. Even though the initial body turn can initially make it hard to connect with, once you get used to planning for that, you get a nice straight style punch. The Russian hook is really good for that too.

Long before I was even remotely competent with grapples, I was able to start winning matches against higher level CPU opponents (well, levels 4 and 5 at least) just based on the my comfort level with the middle and high kicks from guys like Peter Aerts, Masakatsu Funaki, and Yuki Kondo.

HG101
Community Member

Postby HG101 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:37 am

shyguygamer wrote:I've tried absolutely everything here. I understand triangle is basically run/irish whip. I've seen the vid of the guy explaining weak vs. strong and critical, but really, the only way I've ever won a match is button mashing. I've tried the strategy of weak grapple, one-tap, rapid-tap weak grapple plus direction button. Literally the only thing that works is button mashing between square and x until you can hit circle or your finisher.

Has this guy figured out how the controls work yet? Like has anyone explained the "press button after their palms hit each other's shoulders" thing yet? Because I've tried reading the thread and I can't make heads or tails of the discussion.

shyguygamer
Community Member

Postby shyguygamer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:26 am

HG101 wrote:
shyguygamer wrote:I've tried absolutely everything here. I understand triangle is basically run/irish whip. I've seen the vid of the guy explaining weak vs. strong and critical, but really, the only way I've ever won a match is button mashing. I've tried the strategy of weak grapple, one-tap, rapid-tap weak grapple plus direction button. Literally the only thing that works is button mashing between square and x until you can hit circle or your finisher.

Has this guy figured out how the controls work yet? Like has anyone explained the "press button after their palms hit each other's shoulders" thing yet? Because I've tried reading the thread and I can't make heads or tails of the discussion.

Took me a while but I kinda figured it out from what people said. It's still difficult even on 1, but I at least have a sense of what I'm doing.

HG101
Community Member

Postby HG101 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:59 am

You're probably doing something wrong if it's difficult on the easiest setting.

How EXACTLY do you think the controls work?

Dawnbr3ak3r
ControlFrenzy

Postby Dawnbr3ak3r » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:20 am

I have a harder time with strikes than grapples. I can hit running strikes and grapples (depending on what the moveset is) pretty well. I play with edits that have the fast movement setting and that helped me figure out timing pretty easily there. Fire Pro isn't a WWE/2K game, so you can't just hit heavy grapples straight out the gate - gotta start with the weak grapples and progress further - that's just how it is. Flying attacks also take a little bit to get used to, as do springboards.

I play on difficulty 2 because I'm awful at these games anyways.
The_PR_Dragon wrote:Dragons, Emus, and Wolves are all hearing impaired. Sounds about right.

shyguygamer
Community Member

Postby shyguygamer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:23 pm

HG101 wrote:You're probably doing something wrong if it's difficult on the easiest setting.

How EXACTLY do you think the controls work?

Generally speaking, controls, square=weak, x=medium, circle=strong, triangle=irish whip, R1= drag

to grapple, simply walk into opponent.

Basically, you start with weak and work your way up to strong. Timing is key, as you basically have to hit it just the hands hit basically. And yes, even on 1, it's still difficult, but not nearly as difficult as before. Basically what I find when I lose is that usually I haven't damaged my opponent enough, and then they kick out at 2, they make a comeback, and do like 4 moves and pin for 3. So unless there's a specific kickout button, idk.

HG101
Community Member

Postby HG101 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:54 am

So you understand that it's "first to enter the move command after the palms hit the shoulders without being early", correct?

AcidDragon
Community Member

Postby AcidDragon » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:22 am

Yes, there's a kickout button. You just hold X. That is, you hold it down and do not let go and you will either have the spirit to kickout or not. There's no tapping of the X button necessary. Just hold it until you either kickout or it goes to 3 and you lose. If you try tapping, there's a good chance you'll get pinned because the X button wont register at the right time. That explains a lot, actually. Submissions are a different animal and I just hold X and rotate the thumbpad until I escape.

MBXfilms
Community Member

Postby MBXfilms » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:46 pm

I've read early you can tap X to kick out and you get some bonus spirit or something.
Might be one of those gaming tales or rumors though.

Hold to make sure you will kick out if you are not totally beat.