Image Cut Outs

Reckless101
Community Member

Image Cut Outs

Postby Reckless101 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:01 am

I was wondering, how do y'all cut out an edit from an image to place them on your own backgrounds? Seen it used a lot in feds and I'm interested in doing so myself. I thought it would be cool to make my RPs more engaging.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about:
Spoiler: show

I use an emulator as well if it helps.

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Re: Image Cut Outs

Postby Zealot » Mon May 22, 2017 12:10 am

A great question, Reck.

Considering you used one of my images as an example, I will let you know my secret. Basically, I run the emulator as you suggested. Then, I try to time certain events and taunts in either edit mode or using the pause function during a match with the Snipping Tool pre-installed with windows. I feel it's a much better option than the print screen button simply because it freezes your screen and allows you to make the optional cut of your image.

From there, it's whatever your personal preference is for photo editing. I personally use GIMP to crop and alter my images because it's easy to use and it's FREEWARE. Best cropping options on GIMP are the Free Select tool to freely trace your cut and/or the Select By Color tool if you want to crop an image from a greenscreen background. That can usually be done by making a simple ring with max green in all categories.

The cool thing about GIMP is you can open multiple files on tabs, so you could open up your background image and then have images in other tabs you wish to cut. In that pic there, I had my Galastream backdrop in one tab, a picture of Dai Gensui to crop in another, and a mic stand PNG image with a transparent background in a third.
ImageImage ImageImage

Reckless101
Community Member

Postby Reckless101 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:34 am

Ah, cool! I use gimp already to take pics of my edits. Hopefully it is as simple as it sounds lol. I'll definitely give it a shot. Thanks a lot for the tip! :D

fullMETAL
Belt-Designing Crayonicorn

Postby fullMETAL » Mon May 22, 2017 10:34 pm

Here's what I (and a fair number of us) do, as outlined in this thread:
1) run PCSX2, and open FPR
2) have a Custom Ring made where ALL the colors are straight up Green 255 (since most edits don't actually use that color)
3) in a match, do the standard "pause it during a move and press I think Triangle+Circle"? (whichever the combination is that removes the pause menu)
4) press F8 for a screencap (make sure the resolution in the GS Settings is really high, naturally)
5) open your screenshot in your preferred image editor
6) Magic Wand Select the green canvas (with Tolerance set however much, tweak that setting for best results) around the wrestler and Delete it
7) there will be a green glow around the wrestler, so to fix that, when you have the wrestler in its own layer, Select *AROUND* him, Contract the selection by up to 3 pixels or so, and then go to your Adjustment menu and tweak the Hue/Saturation/Brightness for best results
Escargot in 5 minutes or your dignity back!

Reckless101
Community Member

Postby Reckless101 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:51 am

Hey yall! Does anyone knows the best way to cut out edits doing moves to each other during a match? Like this:

The gif part is unnecessary right now, but if any of you have any tips for that as well then bonus! :D

I hope to start a project of sorts once World comes out, and using bits like this would really help with storytelling.

DM_PSX
Community Member

Postby DM_PSX » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:06 am

Just use a masking color.

Make an all magenta ring (255,0,255) and a magenta ref. Then you can easily crop your guys, and mask out the magenta, or just make magenta the transparent color if it's a gif.

Reckless101
Community Member

Postby Reckless101 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:10 pm

Is that right? Cool I'll give that a shot. Thank you! And if I wanted to, how would I go about making a gif? Getting the animation from the emulator, what program to use and etc...

DM_PSX
Community Member

Postby DM_PSX » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:20 am

You can try OBS (open broadcast software), but it;s slow unless your hardware supports DVR functionality. Also, just printscreen and paste.