Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium Translation

ligerbear
Community Member

Re: Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium Translation

Postby ligerbear » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:19 pm

is this still available? thanks in advance!

sydra
Single Post Troll

Postby sydra » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:39 am

brick9mm wrote:Random, completely irrelevant question that honestly doesn't really matter but a lot of you guys have been around long enough to know the answer.

SFPWX Premium is completely obsolete at this point and not really worth playing anymore. However I adore the SNES so I mess with it from time to time on my Super Everdrive.

One thing that is immensely irritating is the only translated ROM I've managed to find flubs the names of at least half the roster. They knew who Hiroshi Hase was but apparently Misawa is a cricket and Kobashi's "Cujo". Kawada's "Jack Chan" and they even name some random guy Dude Love.

I have read some posts in other places implying there are other translated roms out there. One in particular mentioned there being one that translated all of the generic names instead of substituting them for the real ones.

So the question is, have these been lost to time? Did they exist to begin with? Is there a properly translated ROM? Is there any documentation left as to how it was translated so that the errors, intentional or otherwise may be fixed?

It's ultimately pointless but if anyone knows anything about this, it's definitely you guys. There was probably more info about this on Fire Pro Club but we know what happened to that place.

Ahhhh, it's been a long time....

I learned of the existence of Firepro World today, and stumbled upon this conversation. I actually can explain what happened during the translation process in regards to the names, since I am the one that did it afterall. I started the project with zero knowledge about hacking/hex editing/japanese/etc. Everything I did was made up as I went along :) It started as a simple hex editing translation, with the problem being that many of the names consisted of 4 kanji, which limited me to 4 characters for the name. I went into the rom and graphically changed kanji into double letters, which quickly turned names into jibberish. This allowed for longer names, but still only 8 characters. The joke fake names were used as placeholders, until I could think of something better to do with them. It wasn't until someone named Phil came along with a knowledge of assembly language that allowed us to make the names proper(and with proper upper/lowercase!). Kinda amusing that the last of the "bad" patches would be the one that most survived the years

brick9mm
Community Member

Postby brick9mm » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:01 am

sydra wrote:
brick9mm wrote:Random, completely irrelevant question that honestly doesn't really matter but a lot of you guys have been around long enough to know the answer.

SFPWX Premium is completely obsolete at this point and not really worth playing anymore. However I adore the SNES so I mess with it from time to time on my Super Everdrive.

One thing that is immensely irritating is the only translated ROM I've managed to find flubs the names of at least half the roster. They knew who Hiroshi Hase was but apparently Misawa is a cricket and Kobashi's "Cujo". Kawada's "Jack Chan" and they even name some random guy Dude Love.

I have read some posts in other places implying there are other translated roms out there. One in particular mentioned there being one that translated all of the generic names instead of substituting them for the real ones.

So the question is, have these been lost to time? Did they exist to begin with? Is there a properly translated ROM? Is there any documentation left as to how it was translated so that the errors, intentional or otherwise may be fixed?

It's ultimately pointless but if anyone knows anything about this, it's definitely you guys. There was probably more info about this on Fire Pro Club but we know what happened to that place.

I learned of the existence of Firepro World today, and stumbled upon this conversation. I actually can explain what happened during the translation process in regards to the names, since I am the one that did it afterall. I started the project with zero knowledge about hacking/hex editing/japanese/etc. Everything I did was made up as I went along :) It started as a simple hex editing translation, with the problem being that many of the names consisted of 4 kanji, which limited me to 4 characters for the name. I went into the rom and graphically changed kanji into double letters, which quickly turned names into jibberish. This allowed for longer names, but still only 8 characters. The joke fake names were used as placeholders, until I could think of something better to do with them. It wasn't until someone named Phil came along with a knowledge of assembly language that allowed us to make the names proper(and with proper upper/lowercase!). Kinda amusing that the last of the "bad" patches would be the one that most survived the years

Wow, thanks for explaining this after so many years have passed.

Never thought I'd see the guy who gave Misawa the name of a cricket turn up again.

HG101
Community Member

Postby HG101 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:05 am

sydra wrote:

I have never been more surprised to see anyone on this board.