Are the old games worth playing?

heelsinc
Community Member

Are the old games worth playing?

Postby heelsinc » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:28 pm

So I started with D skipped returns and am back on board with World. Played the shit out of D the reason I skipped returns was just because I didn't want to have to remake all my edits again.

Anyway since I never played any of the old games is there any reason to back and check them out? Part of what I love about Fire Pro is the rosters so part of me wants to go to those older games just to check out the rosters and see who made it to the games etc. Is there really any other reason to play the old games since so little has changed besides the graphics?

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Re: Are the old games worth playing?

Postby orochigeese » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:32 pm

The portable games have appeal for the portability. It's 100% worth it to track down a GBA and get FPA or FPA2. I still use it for "Fire Pro on the Go" (that doesn't mean toilet but it doesn't mean not toilet) and during my FPR run, I consistently used FPA to come up with edits and edit strategies that I transferred over to FPR.

Some of the older Fire Pro console games have certain story modes that are worth playing from what I've heard. I haven't ever experienced them though since FPD and FPR didn't have them. FPD had Victory Road which was basically SF2 arcade mode and FPR had match maker mode: an awesome idea in theory but missing the usage of edits so it had no relevance to me since I hated simming with the FPR defaults. Match Maker mode was really an awesome idea that fell CRITICALLY! short for a large portion of the community due to lack of edit inclusion but whatever, I've already said years of my "peace" on that :angrymob:

I loved FPD and FPR (and was so underwhelmed by FPZ that I never bought it but do wish that Spike kept the "outdoor" arena!) but I see no reason to play them over FPW right now. Obviously the loss of gradients is an issue but I personally think the overall FPW package offers more options, especially now that Freem's FPR/FPW Tool combination allows you to transfer your FPR edits over.

I've heard the story modes in earlier games like (I think) FPG and some other ones were truly groundbreaking as was some "Management of the Ring" modes but others will need to fill you in on that.

I'm just here for the GBA games plug, the :deadhorse: on Match Maker Mode, and the toilet joke.

heelsinc
Community Member

Postby heelsinc » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:20 pm

Haha thanks for the reply. I stay away from handhelds as a whole. Screens to small and they are easy to emulate onto my 70 inch tv so I just do that

brick9mm
Community Member

Postby brick9mm » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:14 pm

Fire Pro G has a full VN style (okay, if you don't know what a VN is, choose-your own adventure style) story mode where you can end up wrestling in WWF, WCW, AJPW, NJPW and I think the MMA promotions were included in the mode as well.

If that sounds rad to you (and you're willing to flip through a translation guide) then go for it. FPG is my favorite besides World and Returns as it has a completely different visual style, slightly different grapple timing and probably the best default AI even without the priorities.

eastcoastkody

Postby eastcoastkody » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:09 am

G & SFPWXP are worth going back to i think

lolhaxman

Postby lolhaxman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:22 am

There are some timing nuances of FPR that I really miss to be honest, but yeah...it doesn't have any particular feature that will make going back to it "worth" much if Worlds really gets back all of its features.

Returns was such a good game though...

RollinsPhan
Community Member

Postby RollinsPhan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:14 am

FPR is great because of the gameplay and the insanely huge default roster.

HG101
Community Member

Postby HG101 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:51 am

I consider X Premium on SNES to be worth playing. There's still some saves for it floating around.

Eddie Lukin
Community Member

Postby Eddie Lukin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:22 pm

I only recently played 6 Man Scramble for the first time and it was no fun. I think D is the earliest Fire Pro I’m able to enjoy at this point. Kind of a bummer really.
Say hey if you remember Pro Wrestling SHAFT!

names9

Postby names9 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:23 pm

6 man scramble will always holds a special place in my heart (it was the first fire pro I played) and to this day no other firepro game (sound-wise) could match. I could never forget the sound of Vader roaring as he powerbomb you to the mat leaving you CRITICAL! me and my friends would play it all night.