27%
Never played Fire Pro games before World
No votes

Total votes: 33

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Who's Still Playing Returns?

Postby fullbug » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:13 pm

Curious how many, even with World taking over the entire planet, still plays Returns?
I don't play nearly as much of course, but still play at least once every few days, I have had a league running over a year now, and I will be dammed if I don't see who wins it all! Plus I didn't enter all those edit's to see them collect dust, still love the game.... 8-)

htiman
Community Member

Re: Who's Still Playing Returns?

Postby htiman » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:00 pm

Well, since my computer ended up not meeting the requirements for World (I have more then the minimum requirements on everything but video card, which is apparently something FP Word really wants to be extravagant), I've been playing some FPR to scratch my occasional FirePro itch.

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:02 pm

I'm currently using it to wrap up my e-feds' runs on the engine with big shows so I can focus on fully porting to World.
ImageImage ImageImage

brick9mm
Community Member

Postby brick9mm » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:58 pm

I have yet to revisit Returns, and probably won't any time soon. I suppose it's worth noting that I'm a relative newcomer to the series (bought returns in 2014 IIRC), but I have gone back and played most of the games in the series (my most played outside of Returns are FPA, FPG, and FPD)

I'll continue to revisit D from time to time like I've done many times before, because I love the Dreamcast and the game's visual style, plus the default roster is a good representation of my favorite period in wrestling history.

spencer24
Community Member

Postby spencer24 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:24 pm

I bought World on release date and think it is phenomenal, but for the time being I am sticking with Returns. Probably until the full release, at which point I will have to decide whether to start fresh or transfer all of my fed standings over to World.

Tylerd
Community Member

Postby Tylerd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:19 am

I still sim in Returns. I'll switch over to World once I get a better PC.

wet_dog_smell
needs a bath

Postby wet_dog_smell » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:09 am

I've only played Returns once or twice since I bought my PlayStation 4 over 18 months ago. I play Fire Pro Wrestling 1 on GBA everyday, to get my Fire Pro fix.

Professor Voodoo
Mad Scientist Of Editing

Postby Professor Voodoo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:26 am

I did try to get into Returns one more time, but watching a sim on Returns after playing around on World, Returns felt obsolete almost.
It's not enough to look like an edit to be an edit. You have to act like them too.

Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Professor_ ... pid=564230

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Postby Old Baby » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:26 pm

I played the hell out of Returns for 12 years, but I've never been completely happy with it like I was with 6 Man Scramble. World is better all the way around, so I have no reason to go back to Returns.

CF_Dawnbr3ak3r
Community Member

Postby CF_Dawnbr3ak3r » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:39 pm

I've only booted up Returns to check move animations and head bases for edits as I port them over.

Freem's edit tool lists moves in a different English translation from the Agetec translation. It's kind of annoying trying to figure out what a Sakata Lock III is when I know it as the Rings of Saturn and it's listed as the Nagata Lock in Returns and the Cobra Double Arm Lock or something in World. Just a bunch of tedious name changes.
The_PR_Dragon wrote:Dragons, Emus, and Wolves are all hearing impaired. Sounds about right.

freem
Everytime I am Particular

Postby freem » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:36 pm

ControlFrenzy wrote:Freem's edit tool lists moves in a different English translation from the Agetec translation. It's kind of annoying trying to figure out what a Sakata Lock III is when I know it as the Rings of Saturn and it's listed as the Nagata Lock in Returns and the Cobra Double Arm Lock or something in World. Just a bunch of tedious name changes.

I don't have the raw data to back this up, but here we go...

In Returns, most of the move names are stored as-is. However, some move names change based on the names of some wrestlers in the game. This is where the Sakata/Nagata Lock issue comes in. "Sakata" is the default name of Nagata's character in Returns. The Wrestler Tool does not bother reading the save's rename data because making the list in the first place took way too long. (I wasn't able to copy/paste names; I had to make sure that each value mapped to each move and name properly.) (Other moves that use this setup include Vader Hammer, Liger Bomb, etc.)

Guess I'll just add that to the list of things I need to do in a future version.

I can't do much about the move names changing in World; removal of the default wrestlers based on real life wrestlers necessitated another way to rename moves. Luckily, the devs provided one :p

Piotr
Community Member

Postby Piotr » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:25 pm

I still think sims were way better in Returns. It seems like in World edits spam finishers and nearfalls early into the match. There is barely any build up. In Returns it worked way better. :/ I was using Dman's edits, maybe there are some better I have no idea. Also the AI is just weird, in one match they won't go for the "post" moves at all and in the other the edit is spamming them.

Professor Voodoo
Mad Scientist Of Editing

Postby Professor Voodoo » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 am

Well DMan's edits seem to work a more "WWE" style (although far more enjoyable to watch than the actual thing), and I'd say your experience in World will vary by creator.
It's not enough to look like an edit to be an edit. You have to act like them too.

brick9mm
Community Member

Postby brick9mm » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:00 am

Piotr wrote:I still think sims were way better in Returns. It seems like in World edits spam finishers and nearfalls early into the match. There is barely any build up. In Returns it worked way better. :/ I was using Dman's edits, maybe there are some better I have no idea. Also the AI is just weird, in one match they won't go for the "post" moves at all and in the other the edit is spamming them.

That was true for the initial build of the game, but they fixed the logic skipping from small to large moves a few updates ago. Either that or I'm remembering things wrong, and the logic of the particular edits you're using is just rubbish.

In my experience creating edits, most of them ports from Returns, it's more or less the same as it was before. I suppose part of the problem could be that before, edits were made almost exclusively by people who knew what they were doing. Now that the game and sharing edits are accessible as possible, there's a wide variety of ways people program the logic, ways that you can't always trust, especially considering half the people who play the game use the term "CAWs" to describe their work.

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:07 am

brick9mm wrote: Now that the game and sharing edits are accessible as possible, there's a wide variety of ways people program the logic, ways that you can't always trust, especially considering half the people who play the game use the term "CAWs" to describe their work.

We need an 'edits you can trust' thread here, that would be helpful in the huge edit wasteland.....

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:12 am

fullbug wrote:
brick9mm wrote: Now that the game and sharing edits are accessible as possible, there's a wide variety of ways people program the logic, ways that you can't always trust, especially considering half the people who play the game use the term "CAWs" to describe their work.

We need an 'edits you can trust' thread here, that would be helpful in the huge edit wasteland.....

Definitely. I've been avoiding general population edits.

Dude Cactus

Postby Dude Cactus » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:24 am

I boot it up from time-to-time.

My most recent session left me torn.

I was seeing some things happen during the sims and it left me thinking why did I think that was such a good idea logic wise months, maybe even a year or more ago? And with World now being out, do I go back and tweak the edits and finish the ones that are incomplete? Or, do I just use that time for tweaking to just do that when I port them over to World?

oh_my.goth
Community Member

Postby oh_my.goth » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:56 am

Since World has been out I've been more focus on creating edits for that. Although my POS mini laptop can barely handle any game let alone WORLD enough for me to play any matches it's still good enough to create things. At least till I can afford to buy a new computer or rent one.

I have been thinking lately of going back and playing Returns just because I miss playing matches and plus I wanna tweak things That are just recently popping into mind, so we'll see when the mood strikes.

mr jenzie

Postby mr jenzie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:10 pm

currently compiling a save list of EVERY caw i want to use for my soon to be born again SUPERfeds 3.0!
now when i say EXPANSION .....
i MEAN EXPANSION!
it will run into the THOUSANDS of caws!

because i do things in small amounts
:upsidedownlol:

Piotr
Community Member

Postby Piotr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:12 pm

The list of trusted editors would be nice. :)

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:25 pm

Piotr wrote:The list of trusted editors would be nice. :)

Yes! Hopefully someone will step up and take this on.... :)

CDNFPW

Postby CDNFPW » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:39 pm

htiman wrote:Well, since my computer ended up not meeting the requirements for World (I have more then the minimum requirements on everything but video card, which is apparently something FP Word really wants to be extravagant), I've been playing some FPR to scratch my occasional FirePro itch.

TBF those minimum requirements are pretty inflated. FPW:W runs amazing on my i7/1070 rig but it also runs at a pretty much constant 60FPW with an older Core 2 Duo and an Nvidia 9400M (which IIRC is about half what the minimum requirements for VRAM is). Even know a guy that was able to run it fine with a Core M 5Y10c with integrated graphics as well.

Steam still does refunds I think(?) so if the game ever goes on sale and you just want to try it for a bit to see if the game will run, that's probably not a bad deal.

That being said, for a more OT post, I still play FPW:R once in a while but I've mostly just been on it so that I can transfer some of my CAWs and logic over. I think once World is more fleshed out I probably won't go back much. There are certain things I miss from FPW:R though like how we were able to change the color of more than a single part of a design or piece.

unimportantguy
Community Member

Postby unimportantguy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:04 pm

I'm still playing at least some Returns almost every day at this point, though much of this is at this point in cases where I will have a World window open on one half of my desktop and a Returns window open on the other half to work on edits, do comparisons, or note differences in logic/match styles from tweaking. World has, however, gotten me playing a fair bit of KOC II, and coming to a greater appreciation of just how damn good single-player vs. CPU matches are in that game.

Professor Voodoo
Mad Scientist Of Editing

Postby Professor Voodoo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:55 pm

Nth wrote:
fullbug wrote:

Definitely. I've been avoiding general population edits.

I agree. We need to lead people in the right direction, and have them avoid what I dub, "MUGEN syndrome".

oh_my.goth
Community Member

Postby oh_my.goth » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:07 am

My gf found my FPWR disc today that I had hidden last year when Hurricane Matthew hit and flooded our apt.
I stashed it in a disc sleeve a long with my Action Replay Max disc :D so needless to say I'm pretty stoked about it and might just Fire up the PS2 tomorrow or soon to play some Fire Pro Returns! Image Image