What's Your Fire Pro Story?

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

What's Your Fire Pro Story?

Postby orochigeese » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:56 am

I believe that Full_Metal originally made this thread. I liked it a lot and wanted to re-post everyone's posts. I've seen so many threads like this in the community and we always have to re-post them every few years. I wanted to make it easier on us this time :)

I'll clearly identify who said everything but the formatting on this will be basic since there are so many posts. At least they aren't lost!

Also, there's some "inside baseball" posts here about the old forum that I'm removing. Except this one:

C-Drive
Since the forum is probably going to be wiped clean, and a lot of these posts will disappear with it, I'm planning on sharing them via the new fpwarena tumblr blog, which also cross-posts to the new twitter. If you don't want your post "saved" in this fashion, just let me know - I think these are interesting stories and folks would like to read them.

I saw this but I'm still going making this thread so that new people can chime in. Hope that's okay! On with the show!

And please people. if you haven't already contributed to this thread, it would be great to hear your virgin FPW stories!!!!! :D

fullMETAL

My memories of my first FPW experience are hazy ("stuff"'ll do that to you), but my first FP game was Fire Pro Advance, sometime near the end of high school. I was looking for non-WWF/WCW games and found out about that.

wet_dog_smell

About 6 years ago I wanted to find an alternative to the latest WWE game as the legends of wrestling series was like drinking your own piss, just awful. After a google search I found Fire Pro Wrestling Returns. After watching a youtube video or two I decided I had to by this game. It was not on amazon or ebay as its the PAL version. After reading in the old FPC i found out about an Italian website that sold the game at the time for around £40. So I bought a copy and I have beeen hooked since.

orochigeese

1908: Small town bar in Boulder, Colorado. I was a prospector . Just finished up my shift, had a bit to drink.

Said the wrong thing to the wrong person.

12 hours later, I was up to my ass in FP6MS templates.

6 hours later, I woke up to find myself in the Arena.

I still don't get what a CAW is.

-----------------------------------

After my No Mercy copy glitched for the 10th time in Spring 2002, deleting my edits again, I gave up on it. I had previously bought FPD in April of 2001 but I didn't really "get it." I decided to give it another try in June '02 and was more patient this time. I understood it's value and went onto the GameFAQS FPD board to find out more about it. The people there were AWESOME and I was as drawn in by the community as I was the game itself. I joined my first e-fed (GWF, GameFAQS Wrestling Federation) a few months later, started my own fed a little over a year later, and was off to the races! :markout:

Never got to ole Californee though :oops:

HumanBulldozer

I was in highschool when I got it.

I was at like the biggest obsession of wrestling I ever was in. Still pre-smark mode. I loved SvR2006 but I hated that you could only have 30 guys.
I found myself on the gamefaqs pro wrestling boards and there was a guy who would run tournaments on various wrestling games and after a few weeks I asked him about the game he was talking about that had 500 caw slots. I didn't think it was real with the wwe games having a mere 30. As soon as I found out as much as I could I lurked over on fireproclub, joined [old screenname withheld because younger me was an idiot] learned some more. Within a week I picked up firepro returns and played it until my ps2 broke. Missed it desperately for years... tried romming it but... wasn't quite the same. Recently my best friend bought me a PS3 for christmas... first thing I downloaded was Fire Pro. Still trying to get back into the swing of things. I've created tons of edits but I just cant quite get happy with logic/movesets as I was way back when.

Jon Justice

My Fire Pro story started with the GBA games as well, back in 8th grade. It was one of those late summer Toys-R-Us gaming runs where all the good stuff was long gone. I bumped into Fire Pro Wrestling Advance in the "not good enough for the shelf" bin among stuff like Shrek, fishing, Olsen Twins, and other abominations. I initially thought it was a Tekken clone, fake Heihachi gracing the cover.

Upon closer inspection it read "wrestling", which made me want to throw it down like it was covered in ants. Wrestling games on Nintendo handhelds had been notoriously bad up to that point (ECW Hardcore Revolution on Game Boy Color :lol:). But this one wasn't by Acclaim or THQ, it wasn't WWF, ECW, or WCW, so at the very least it had to be different. I reluctantly gave FPWA a try.

Got it home, died repeatedly trying to figure out the controls. But the paper-doll animation style and the logical match pacing grabbed my attention. I became fascinated with all the little systems at play during a match, and soon discovered that I had a degree of control over these systems via CPU Logic. Thus began the addiction. You'll always be one more tweak away from that perfect match.

Fire Pro also piqued my interest in what would become my main hobbies. Looking for everyone's real name is how I discovered puroresu and shoot wrestling, of which I became a lifetime fan. The animation style got me interested in spriting and Flash. The thought processes involved with editing CPU Logic eventually got me into coding and game design (and a strange obsession with RNG).

I'm still playing Fire Pro fifteen years, several consoles, and dozens of other games later. FPR has pretty much taken over my PS3. And Fire Pro Wrestling 2 has earned a permanent place in my pocket...

Kamen Ranger

I was in high school when I first learned about the game. I had played the GBA ones here and there before but didn't get into it. I was going to a another website at the time when I saw a trailer for FPR. It caught my attention instantly. I saw death matches,match maker and the extensive edit modes.

At the time I had started getting into Lucha Libre and Puro. Before that all I knew was WWE,WCW and ECW. To find a game with all the guys I was learning about on it. It made my day. About a month later I learned about FPC through a forum board. Ever since it's US release I've been playing it.

Gentlemensgentleman

I was late to the FPR hype.I bought FPR when I was in community college.

I hadn't bought a wrestling game in years since I had stopped watching the WWE back in 2008. Svr 2007 was the last WWE game I would buy until WWE '13.I think I bought FPR in 2010 when I usually just watched CZW and BJW. I was interested in two things in FPR: the 500 character slots and BJW. I really wanted to play as BJW with Ryuji Ito, Yuko Miyamoto, and others. FPR opened me up to other Japanese promotions that I like to watch now like DDT, K-Dojo, and 666.

RJ!

I bought FPW for the GBA and immediately returned it because I had no idea how it worked.

Ten years later, I heard about how good FPWR was, and I would sim MMA matches. I had no idea how to get save packs, so I never got too much into the game.

Fast forward to when I discovered this community, and that the PS3 version was available. I figured out how to do edit packs, and boom. I have recent;y purchased FPW again, and I am learning how to use it. Such a big fan of the mobile FP games.

TyeDyeNightmare

Well.I bought FPR at a local flea market for $10 in 2012.I never heard of the game but bought it because It was a wrestling game.I was into collecting PS1 and PS2 wrestling games at the time.It didn't matter if they were great or horrible.I bought wrestling games to have a complete collection for myself.A cheap hobby if you will.

FPR sat in my CD folder for almost a year.I didnt play it.It was another wrestling game in my collection.I had an amazing game and wasn't aware of it.

One night I was looking through my folder and saw FPR.I totally forgot about it.So,I went on Youtube to see if there were any reviews.I watched a review by Allie- RX and by the end of the video I was amazed.I create my own rings,refs,edits and logos?500 edit slots!I was like:Yes please!
I discovered FPC and this site.I was amazed that there were communities and players posting packs.This game was my 1st experience of downloading game saves.I never heard of such a thing.I was used to going on caws.ws and printing out formulas and creating from scratch for WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2006.

A friend of mine brought me up to speed and what I needed to put saves on memory cards.I bought a thumb drive,downloaded PS2 savebuilder and bought an ARMax.I downloaded every pack I could get my hands on.As time went on I saw packs I liked and didnt like.DJKM's packs really caught my attention.His packs had everyone a fan like myself could imagine:80s,90s,WWE,ROH,Territories,and so on.Every week I bought memory cards just to see his work.I was like a player of Magic the Gathering getting a new expansion pack.This game just blew my whole world open.
I read Bill Woods Manuel,asked questions,read posts and everything.Then I discovered simming.I never played this game but engrossed myself in simming,which I still do a lot.After reading about tweaking the rules,refs and COM Skill,my matches came out in a way that I was satisfied with.
It was always my dream to be a wrestling booker.That dream never came to pass so FPR was the closest I would come to being a booker.It has been and still is a lot of fun.In fact,Ive corresponded with many cool people after discovering this epic game like DJKM,Desertpunk,TheJess and many others.

Currently,I started my own personal sim league using DJKM's packs.On my Youtube channel:TyeDyeNightmare I've posted my sim matches with his great edits.My latest project I completed was The Lottery of Legends Tournament.It's a 32 team single elimination tournament that combined Survivor Series 4 on 4 elimination matches with Battlebowl.I did an actual lottery and recorded the matches.It was a long journey but I completed it somehow.LOL.I will continue to upload matches so viewers can see what I'm booking.Who knows,maybe I will gain a following.
Thanks to everyone who keeps this game fresh in their own way.I can see why this game has such a great following.FPR is proof that a game doesn't need realistic graphics,eliminations chambers,DLC packs,online play,etc.It's old school and no nonsense.Plus,where else can you see The Goobledy Gooker get blown up in an Exploding Barbwire Deathmatch.Onita would be proud.Well,that's my story.I'm glad to finally share it with every here in The FPR Arena.I hope everyone enjoys reading it as I have experienced it.

Nth

1999, checking out Gamespot of all places one day, an editor their had done a mini preview on a upcoming Japanese wrestling game called Fire Pro Wrestling G. I don't think I had ever heard anybody gush over a non WWF wrestling game.... ever.

Now as an aside, I had briefly heard of Fire Pro back in 1997 when my cousin had a copy of X Premium emulated on his laptop and completely hyped it as 'the' game every wrestling fan should have. He showed it to me and I was 'meh', bearing in mind WCW vs NWO World Tour had just come out and we had (for the time) an astounding 3d wrestling game. I was sort of done with the 2d age.

Also, I didn't even know at the time wrestling in Japan was not only a thing, but also treated as a sport. So this gamespot editor seemed to be familiar with the Fire Pro series and hyped me on it with some key notes: Simulation gameplay, hundreds of wrestlers, a creation suite allowing dozens of wrestlers to be created with over 500 moves available, exploding ring death matches, and what really hyped me; current WWF and WCW rosters together in one game.

HAD TO HAVE IT!!!!

New it was only in Japanese so I made my very first foray over to a little place called Gamefaqs where I was told I would be able to find translations and a how to guide on how to get my PS system modded to play Japanese games. Bought a Game Wizard, which I still have and it amazingly still works to this day. I was terrified of modding my reasonably new PS console and a Game Wizard simply plugged into the systems I/O port.

I remember ordering my copy from The Rage and had no credit card so I had to use a money order. I still remember getting a money order for $125 (I got the express shipping) and still remember the cashier looking at me kinda weird when I needed to have it made out to The Rage.

When the game first arrived and I popped it in, I admit, I did not like it. Couldn't get the grappling down for the life of me, constantly had trouble navigating the menu's and really didn't understand the concept of building a match with small moves and working up to bigger moves. That idea was completely foreign to me coming from the world of WWF games.

Eventually, something just clicked. I did the training dojo (tutorial mode) from the career mode in the game and I started being able to land strikes and win grapples. It got to the point where I would have the game running all day. When I wasn't actually playing, to stop for dinner breaks, I was simming matches which I found just as entertaining as playing.

I had no interest in the Japanese rosters at the time. Had no idea who any of these people were and had never even seen a Japanese wrestling match. So I started simming random Japanese guys and when I saw someone with a moveset I kinda liked I would end up doing a net search on him. Discovered a lot of people had made music videos of Japanese wrestlers, I got into Japanese wrestling, first through all these music videos people had made. Ended up buying some VHS compilation tapes and I steadily veered away from the western wrestling.

I totally became Mr. Fire Pro after that. All wrestling talk with friends turned to Japanese wrestling and all wrestling game discussion turned to Fire Pro Wrestling. I sold that game on a lot of people back then. When my cousin bought his copy, he also on a whim bought another game with it called AJPW: King's Soul. That game would sit on a shelf for years untouched until King of Colosseum Red came along.

Now I thought Fire Pro Wrestling G would be it for me. Along came Fire Pro Wrestling D for the Dreamcast. Well I just couldn't justify buying an entirely new game system just for one game... or could I?

Carlzilla

I got SFPWXP in 1996. It was the summer between 8th and 9th grade. My go to wrestling game at this time was TNM, which, for the youngins, was a Qbasic (at that point), text-based, circuit simulator that might be the only wrestling game to have more lasting appeal than Fire Pro to me. I used SFPWXP to create wrestlers used in my circuit (it was the first non-text wrestling game with a create a wrestler that I ever played) and then sim my "big" cards because it was all nice and visual. Then I'd book the matches to end the same way at the same time in TNM to create the connection between the two. The only major Fire Pro game I haven't played is Six Man Scramble because I never owned a Saturn. I've sort of grown tired of Fire Pro as of late though. I just feel like I've done all there is to do.

tafkaga

1997. I stumbled upon Fire Pro S on the Internet and thought it was just too good to be true.

My wrestling game at that time was WWF Raw for SNES with a roster of like 12 wrestlers. The only match I really enjoyed was the Royal Rumble. Then, I find a game that has better graphics and a roster of hundreds of wrestlers? There weren't many things that I just *had* to have as a kid/teenager, but this was one of them. I *had* to own this game.

There were a few stumblingblocks, such as it being a Japanese import, and the fact that I didn't even own a Sega Saturn. At 17 years old, I didn't have that kind of money laying around, but my parents saw how much I wanted it and decided to help me get it. Picked up the last Sega Saturn at a Wal-Mart in Rolla, Missouri and ordered the conversion box and game online.

Finally, the game arrived and it was beyond anything I could have imagined in a wrestling game. I became addicted to simming matches long before I realized that there were other people who enjoyed the same thing. I kept track of all my match results and win/loss records in a notebook.

Back then you could only store 16 edits on the console, so I picked up formulas made by Mysterios Kagura from the pre-FPC Fire Pro community and had Owen Hart, Lex Luger, Nation of Domination, Sid and several others.

I'll never feel that way about a wrestling game again, not even Fire Pro, because I'm spoiled now.

C-Drive
Web Ninja

Re: What's Your Fire Pro Story?

Postby C-Drive » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:03 pm

I think it was fullbug that actually started the thread, so props to him. Good thread to bring over from the "purgatory-era" of fpwarena. I'm gonna mod your title...just a bit.
FPWR Save Conversion Kit v1.3 (2016-09-06)
Use this toolkit to easily convert .max and .psu files into the PlayStation Network (PlayStation 3) format, convert saves between regions, or load .max and .psu files into .ps2 files quickly - and more!

chango
YAY! Go Deathsteaks!

Postby chango » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:08 pm

I think I might be the only person who got in to Fire Pro because of the graphics.....

I've been a follower of Japanese wrestling for years mainly NJPW as it was on Eurosport (I think it was late 90s early 2000s based on when people debuted) and whenever looking up wrestlers I'd come across images of Fire Pro.... And loved the look of the characters.( I still think That FPR is the best looking wrestling game there is.)

After looking into them bit and realising what it was..... I joined Fire Pro Club,even though I didn't have the game...I didn't say anything to anyone for years.... and only started 'speaking' when we were all coming up with ideas for the Hoax!

I didn't actually have the game when I first joined and wasn't sure/ couldn't work out how to get an import due to the whole PAL/NTSC gubbins . So when the PAL release of Returns was (finally) announced I was straight in there, even though it cost me 60 quid and I had to have it imported from Italy....... But I'd been after it /looking at it/ pining for it for years and when I finally got it was everything I wanted it to be. I couldn't wait .....

And I played as Toru Yano straight away.

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:00 pm

orochigeese wrote:I believe that Full_Metal originally made this thread. I liked it a lot and wanted to re-post everyone's posts.

Hmmm, have to meet this Full Metal dude, sounds like a great guy..... :lol:

captain howdy
Community Member

Postby captain howdy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:18 pm

It was early 2002 and I was working night shift at a job, I would occasionally google pics of wrestlers or wrestling video game characters to send to my friend working night shift with me.

I kept seeing pics from a 2-D sprite based wrestling game that I thought looked great. I was seeing wrestlers I had never seen in a game before and they all looked accurate. I was doing research and found out the pics were from a Japanese wrestling game called Fire Pro Wrestling, and there was a Game Boy Advance version in the US. I tried that on emulator and decided to take the next step, so after some research I ordered a Dreamcast, the 'game codes' disc to bypass region, and then ordered the Fire Pro game from Japan. I was also lucky enough to find and order the transfer device to be able to download other players edits and use them.

I didn't participate as much in the website/community in those days and after a year or so of fun with the game and entertaining my friends, there wasn't much I could do with having to travel and carry all the equipment with me to houses to set up so we could play.

I found the Fire Pro Club in early 2005 I believe, and there had been a new FP game released (FPR). There was also a board member creating a patch to display the game in english ('Iamjoe' I think was his name). This re-sparked my interest in Fire Pro and it was off to the races again, downloading member packs and this time trying to get in on the action by making the "rest of the rest" edit pack where I tried my hand at guys like Papa Shango, Adam Bomb and other lesser wrestlers that were not seeing the light of day by the quality edit makers on the site.

With some constructive feedback I learned how to better make edits and made some great board friends, I would say the most generous being orogchigeese! goose was ever helpful in any way that was needed, and also friendly and what I would call one of the bright spots of the FP community.

When the US version of FPR hit I started playing with it even more and discovered that by changing the flesh color gradients I could make the edits look like they were '16-bit' sprites, and that kicked off my '16-Bit Mania' tribute to old arcade and console wrestling games.

So 10 years later I still stop in from time to time, and I still have my PS2 that's only used for FPR. The game does not get as much play as it used too but it's still going strong. I need to eventually find out how to transfer all of my cards to the PS3 before my PS2 croaks for good lol.
My Fire Pro Returns Edit Packs:
16-Bit Mania!!
16 Bit Mania!! Expansion Pack
NES/Arcade
Heavyweight Boxing
16-Bit Mania!! Promotion Specific Packs

fullMETAL
Belt-Designing Crayonicorn

Postby fullMETAL » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:12 pm

I think it might've actually been fullbug. Similar usernames and all that.

My thread was "what's the source of your FPC/Arena username?"
Escargot in 5 minutes or your dignity back!

Makar17
An Owner of Two Chickens

Postby Makar17 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:34 pm

For me it started when I was browsing wrestling games and came across some SFPWXP animations. I liked them so much that I joined a community and made my own animations, rings, crowds and other stuff for making animations. Sadly, it's all gone.

I bought the Sega Dreamcast and at the time some guy traveled from Costa Rica to Panama to sell games. Every time he showed up I bought lots of games, being single and living at my moms house at the time. He had a copy of Fire Pro D but I didn't play it much because of the language, but I loved the graphics. I also had Fire Pro for the PSX, I think, but the story was the same.

I have always loved Fire Pro and when it came out for the PS2 I bought it, and a swipe card and some other disc to play it. It was a hassle, and there was the language issue. I got the translation guide from gamefaqs and began to play the game a lot. When I read that it was being translated I was happy. Finally I was going to play Fire Pro in a language that I understand. Up to this day, it's the game I spend more time with.
We meese Ceese.

KitchenSink

Postby KitchenSink » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:14 pm

I was a WCW fan during the Monday night wars, with a heavy focus on Sting and DDP.

Late in '97 DDP posted a link on his fansite of himself as a created wrestler and just said it was from a "new wrestling game".

I proceeded to cum in my pants over the prospect of being able to create your own wrestler in a game. So I followed the link to the main page of Icemaster's site and finally discovered that it was from a Japanese wrestling game called Six Men Scramble.

I got the game that christmas and later made the "walk of shame" several times with a huge stack of printouts for edits from the same site.

I actually had the pages for The Giant (Big Show) years later. I just couldn't justify throwing it all out :)

djkm77
Community Member

Postby djkm77 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:12 am

Just want to say if it was not for Captain Howdy I would not be making any edits and my packs would have never happened. His generosity letting me use any and all of his edits for my packs sparked my interest and creativity to make ginormous packs with all the obscure edits. For my money Howdy and Kagura are the two best edit makers I have ever seen.
"A dollar saved is a dollar wasted." John "Blood" McNally
Links To My Saves
http://www.fpwarena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31
http://www.fpwarena.com/files/djkm77/

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:56 am

So where did it all begin for me, you ask?

(Shut your faces. You know you all are interested. I'm watching you.)

My taste for wrestling, as with most people, has waned on and off for years after I first started watching during the NWO/Attitude Era days. Originally hooked with my first wrestling game WWF Wrestlemania Challenge for the SNES, I was alright with that casual play until games like WCW/NWO Revenge and it's carbon copy Wrestlemania 2000 came out. That's when my creative mind turned to booking my own shows.

It wasn't until Here Comes The Pain on the PS2 that I created my first character Nail. Picture a 5'10" blond-haired guy with a red bandana, black muscle shirt, red pants with black lightning bolts, and a shitload of capoeira, submissions, and BFMS. Those were the days.

Time past and as did my love for wrestling (Death of Benoit being one of main reasons as he was my favorite wrestler). I totally missed the 2003-2008 wrestling timeline, so most of that is foreign to me. It wasn't until I bought SvR07 on the cheap that I decided to do my e-fedding again as I was interested in that time in the revival of ECW.

It got to the point though that I had so many ideas and so few edit slots. Enter Fire Pro Wrestling. Now I had briefly heard of the GBA games being chock full of edit slots and game stipulations, but I never really tried them out due to budget restrictions. That was until I stumbled across FPR in Gamestop for $9.99 and I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I was blown away by the 500 edit slots and the steep learning curve, but after I got an AR Max, joined Fireproclub, and changed my main edit from savior of hardcore to...well...savior, I never looked back.
ImageImage ImageImage

TyeDyeNightmare
A Champ of Fantasy Booking

Postby TyeDyeNightmare » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:54 am

I gotta say..these stories are great to read honestly.We all have different stories of how we got here and why we enjoy this game that was made over 10 years ago.I'm amazed how this game has stayed almost current since with the movesets and edit parts.
Masato Masuda was a genius.We still play or sim this game that really never needs a new release.That's the cool thing I dig.I don't know what else to say.It's like Masada said,"I'm going to create a true wrestling game that players can make expansion packs and share with others.This game will bring endless possibilities of matches and will stay current for years.Players will still be playing and talking about Fire Pro after I've left this world.This is my gift to them"Whew.....goosebumps...
It's not a gimmick.It's a lifestyle.Trust.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:38 am

Whoops about giving credit to the wrong FULL. Sorry about that. This thread is bug territory :D

Zealot wrote:It wasn't until Here Comes The Pain on the PS2 that I created my first character Nail. Picture a 5'10" blond-haired guy with a red bandana, black muscle shirt, red pants with black lightning bolts, and a shitload of capoeira, submissions, and BFMS. Those were the days.

The BFMS, submissions, and lightning bolt designs remind me of Bolt who I first created in Smackdown 1 in 1999 :D

Really awesome to see Kitchensink and Captain Howdy back!! I've missed you guys!! :markout:

fullMETAL
Belt-Designing Crayonicorn

Postby fullMETAL » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:46 pm

I didn't start to get past BFMS until I got Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 (AFTER No Mercy, btw), because up until then, there was no real way to "force" you to start to structure your moveset "properly" (and I didn't start playing ANY Fire Pros also until AFTER No Mercy) in US wrestling games.

WarZone had pre-set movesets, no customization possible.
Attitude and the ECW games let you pick the "big" moves basically from the outset, so there was no incentive to do a proper build-up.
WrestleMania 2000 was basically guilty of the same, plus there were WAY more moves to choose from.
No Mercy's only real "limitation", moveset-wise, was to limit how many favorites you could put (1 per situation/strength), plus still no real logic editor like in VPW2.
SmackDown 1 just severely nerfed you just due to needing points in a stat or something (rather than limit you by move-strength/situation) and there was still no incentive to voluntarily do a small-to-large build up since you could do groggy moves at the drop of a Gut Kick.
SmackDown 2 and 3 had a ton of moves and you could still do "big" moves on the Ready Grapples.

So VPW2 had more realistic limitations, like when you pick a Hybrid or Shoot fighting style. For instance, with an entire SECTION of grapples MISSING and REPLACED by the Striking Combo (and Weak Grapples completely GONE in the Shoot style replaced by the Takedown Mount when you hold the Grapple button), you had to pick your moves more carefully.
With the basic Logic Editor finally in play (which was taken OUT of No Mercy for no raisin), you had to pick your moves more carefully based around what your basic fighting and defense style was.

THEN Fire Pro Advanced came out and US audiences got to get wall-eyed @_@ looking at the expansive Logic section (in officially translated english rather than a hit-or-miss translation patch like on the SNES games), and the "properly" structured list of moves from Small to Large Damage, which forced you to pick your moves more carefully.
Escargot in 5 minutes or your dignity back!

Boney_Magician
Community Member

Postby Boney_Magician » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:02 pm

Made a FPR universe of around 70-80 edits, all with their own logic, and to a certain extent, their own history within that universe.

Had to move, during the move we ended up staying with gf's family. Tried to boot up FPR on PS3, then the whole system shit the bed.

Motherfu--

Was able to save PS3, but all saves of all things were completely GONE. It's been at least 4-5 months since I played. It'sbeen hard as shit to even try to start to play.

Still haven't.
#OtakuGANG

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:53 pm

orochigeese wrote:Whoops about giving credit to the wrong FULL. Sorry about that. This thread is bug territory :D

:lol: :upsidedownlol: :smoking:

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:28 pm

Boney_Magician wrote:Made a FPR universe of around 70-80 edits, all with their own logic, and to a certain extent, their own history within that universe.

Had to move, during the move we ended up staying with gf's family. Tried to boot up FPR on PS3, then the whole system shit the bed.

Motherfu--

Was able to save PS3, but all saves of all things were completely GONE. It's been at least 4-5 months since I played. It'sbeen hard as shit to even try to start to play.

Still haven't.

Oh man, that really really sucks. Losing 80 edits is awful. I'm sorry about that, Bones :oops:

I can't see getting back into the game for a long time after that. My advice would be to just take a long break until you really really want to play and then maybe start from scratch.

I don't know if this 2014 save of yours has any of your own edits besides FPCPP Bones (the one from that year, at least).

http://fpwarena.com/ogfpd/Pics/Saves/FPR/BonesNA.max

Dancing Stevie

Postby Dancing Stevie » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:18 am

The first Fire Pro game I got access to was Fire Pro X Premium on the SNES (Emulator) with the translated patch on it. Through playing the game I got a better understanding of the Jap wrestlers and sought out tapes of All Japan and New Japan so I could see Misawa and Kobashi in action for real.
When I had my PS1 I got Fire Pro G imported, had a lot of fun with it as the career mode was pretty cool as well as all the fun to be had with the edits. As a PS1 owners we could always laugh at the Sega Saturn but I was still jealous their FirePro 6 Man Scramble allowed for 6 man tags yet FPG which came out 3 years later was limited to 4 guys on screen at once.

When FPR turned up for PS2 I was all over that and invested in the Sharkport (or Action Replay as they were called in UK). Finally save files could be downloaded and transferred saving hours of painstakingly following the edit templates. Spike releasing it in the USA in English was great as well.

Fast-forward to the current day and I’ve recently got into FPR again using a PS2 emulator. Nice to have access to some sweet edit packs to get me started again.

If I had the money (and lots of it) I’d love to crowd-fund the Spike dev team into giving us an up to date Firepro. As much as the community has squeezed a lot of life out of the game it gets harder going forward as new moves appear that are not in the game. My instruction to the dev team would be simple, just give us HD sprites, up the amount of edit slots, update the moves and also some kind of half decent career mode and I’m sure all of us would be over the moon.

Mindsmack

Postby Mindsmack » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:13 am

When I discovered emulation back in the day, I started playing "Super Fire Pro Premium X". I remember binging on World Championship mode with Sabu. It was a pretty fun game, but nothing earth-shaking.

Once I became really interested in the Dreamcast community (And I'd say that I still am), I played "Fire Pro Wrestling D". That one managed to get its nails in me a little deeper. After awhile though, real life took priority, and I had to make plans to come back to it later.

And that brings me to right now. At the moment, I'm in over my head on "Fire Pro Wrestling D" (which has been translated to English since the last time I played it). I've managed to find a ton of early 2000s edits. I'm running five separate promotions, seven championships, tournaments, open leagues, a ranking system, etc etc etc.

At the same time that I'm getting this huge retro fix from "Fire Pro D", I'm setting up a modern equivalent through "Fire Pro Returns" on PCSX2. I'd say I'm a little less than half-way through my "Fire Pro D" game right now, and hope to switch over to "Fire Pro Returns" around the end of the month.

So I'm basically addicted to this series. I think my wife's starting to get worried.

TyeDyeNightmare
A Champ of Fantasy Booking

Postby TyeDyeNightmare » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:13 am

Mindsmack wrote:When I discovered emulation back in the day, I started playing "Super Fire Pro Premium X". I remember binging on World Championship mode with Sabu. It was a pretty fun game, but nothing earth-shaking.

Once I became really interested in the Dreamcast community (And I'd say that I still am), I played "Fire Pro Wrestling D". That one managed to get its nails in me a little deeper. After awhile though, real life took priority, and I had to make plans to come back to it later.

And that brings me to right now. At the moment, I'm in over my head on "Fire Pro Wrestling D" (which has been translated to English since the last time I played it). I've managed to find a ton of early 2000s edits. I'm running five separate promotions, seven championships, tournaments, open leagues, a ranking system, etc etc etc.

At the same time that I'm getting this huge retro fix from "Fire Pro D", I'm setting up a modern equivalent through "Fire Pro Returns" on PCSX2. I'd say I'm a little less than half-way through my "Fire Pro D" game right now, and hope to switch over to "Fire Pro Returns" around the end of the month.

So I'm basically addicted to this series. I think my wife's starting to get worried.

I'm doing the same thing with FPR.I run Tye Dye Nightmare Wrestling using DJKM's edits.I just finished and uploaded videos of my 6 massive Battle Royal Series Tournaments to crown my World,United States,World TV,Jr Heavyweight,World Tag and US Tag Champions.I ranked all the edits as well.It's very addicting indeed.I find myself simming to all hours most nights.I'm suprised I make it to work on time.lol.The bills get paid on time so my wife doesn't worry too much.She only gets concerned when I'm getting loud and cheering on the sim matches.I'd say your addicted when your watching a sim watch,an edit hits their finisher,goes for the pin,it's a 2.9....you yell in disbelief:THAT REF WAS SLOW DAMMIT!...That's my usual reaction.LOL.
It's not a gimmick.It's a lifestyle.Trust.

Mindsmack

Postby Mindsmack » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:16 pm

Haha. That's pretty bad. But I'm glad I'm not alone.

I'll have to check out your e-fed videos. Let me ask this: Do you sim everything? Do you play any of it? For example.. I'll play as one character in an open league, and if I don't end up coming in 1st place, I'll sim a title match between the computer-controlled character who did come in 1st and the computer-controlled champion. But, in theory, I play as much or more than I sim.

elementpro

Postby elementpro » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:32 pm

I was always super into making my own 'eFeds' whether it be with my wrestling toys when I was super little or in earlier video games that had the CAW feature (WWF Warzone, Smackdown 2, etc).

For my tenth birthday I got to head out with my pops and buy a Gameboy Advance. With this, I was allowed to buy two games. Being a sports fan, choice #1 was Madden. I then looked for the newest WWF GBA game but the only wrestling game I could find was called 'Fire Pro Wrestling'. My ten year old self said "ahh fuck it" and made the best decision I could of possibly made.

I immediately got hooked on the game. The ability to make ANY wrestler was amazing, as well as the hundreds of existing wrestlers that I wasn't familiar with that already existed in a game. Fast forward to around 18, I purchased FPR for my PS2 and was stoked to see that the franchise took the next step. FPR is single handedly responsible for getting me into japanese wrestling, as well as consuming hours of my life.

I've always had FPR eFeds with real life wrestlers, but I recently started my completely fictional eFed and plan to post it on the boards.

Gamer707b
Community Member

Postby Gamer707b » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:34 pm

Whats up everyone. Ive been a Pro Wrestling all my life and started watching early 80s world class. Yes that long ago. Anyway Ive played countless wrestling games over the years. Some good some horrible. I remember when I was reading about fpr back in 07, I had only heard of the series but never tried it. I ended up going to toys r us and picked it up for 15 bucks. First couple weeks I sucked and didn't totally "get it". Then it all started to unravel like an onion. The more I played it the more I started to fall for it.
Then a couple years ago (yes I was late to the party) I discovered I could copy templates and add all the wrestlers I want> I was blown away! I still haven't downloaded saves yet but want to soon. So the fact that this game is visually so outdated and that I still LOVE it, doesn't surprise me. Ive been someone who always prefers gameplay over grafix any day> Still play 8 and 16 bit. So long story short , Ive played a good 30-40 wrestling games and this one tops them all. The fact that I still play this game sometimes after owning it for some 8 years or so says enough. My wife thinks Im nuts playing this "old and ugly" game. So that's my story. I feel guilty paying just 15 dollars brand new for it.

Pyrodean
Community Member

Postby Pyrodean » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:44 pm

I'm still fairly new to Fire Pro. FPR was my first. I got it in 2007 at Gamestop after picking it up and putting it back a few times. I wanted a different wrestling game because I'd gotten burnt out on the Smackdown vs. Raw games. I loved creating wrestlers in those games, both real-life and customs, and was always frustrated with the amount of slots they gave us. I finally decided to give Fire Pro a shot because it looked like it was tailored more towards what I was looking for which was more customization, I was never all that big on graphics or real life rosters. I figured if it just had 40 or 50 slots for my CAWs it'd be worth it. I was astounded when I saw it had 500! Talk about exceeding expectations lol. It was a rough start at first though. I remember almost going into a rage fit because I couldn't even figure out how to navigate most of the menus, let alone figure out how the hell "logic" was supposed to work lol. But I didn't give up because there seemed to be something special about this game and I wanted to figure it out. So I went online to look up some info on it and ended up finding the FPC and all my prayers where answered :markout: (plus I got goosed :goose: :oops: )

Reddaye

Postby Reddaye » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:08 pm

I became aware of Fire Pro around the time Fire Pro D was released on Dreamcast. I very clearly remember going online and drooling over import screen shots of the game. I never ended up owning a Dreamcast, nor playing FPD, but that was the game that sparked my interest in the franchise for sure. I'd later drool in a similar fashion over other Fire Pro games that I didn't expect to ever play.

So when it was announced that Fire Pro Wrestling would be coming to the Gameboy Advance, I was extremely excited. I got my GBA and had enough money for two games. One of the games I grabbed was Fire Pro Wrestling. At first I didn't get the timing, but after taking the time to practice and learn the game, I grew to love it. I fiddled with the edit system and made various wrestlers, but didn't experiment too much with the logic settings. I did spend time hanging around Fire Pro Club and such, but never really joined in directly with the community at that time.

Fire Pro Wrestling 2 was announced, and I wanted it. With new moves like the Olympic Slam and Shining Wizard added I was excited at the idea of having even more accurate versions of my favorite wrestlers. Unfortunately I could never find a copy, and never got to play it.

Fast forward a few years, and Fire Pro Wrestling Returns is announced for a North American release. Retailing for only $20 I quickly ordered it from eBay, since I didn't expect to ever find it in my small town. Which is funny considering I went to the local Walmart not long after and they had tonnes of copies on the rack for $20. Oh well. I eventually got my copy and played around with it for a while before real life took my interests elsewhere.

I just recently got interested in pro wrestling again after several years away. So I got myself a copy of Fire Pro Returns and started digging more deeply into the editing system. Since I was young I'd always built my own fantasy wrestling promotions using wrestling figures, or GI Joes. So that creative process of making your own characters and telling stories has always fascinated me. Now with all kinds of different ideas bouncing around in my head, I've started really sinking my teeth into creating edits, and hopefully getting a handle on CPU Logic.

wakigatame
Community Member

Postby wakigatame » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:00 am

I remember the big thing about 6MS from GameFan but my first Fire Pro was the first GBA game, I got it for my 10th birthday right after it got released. I remember seeing screenshots of it in EGM and just going O_O because holy crap Rock vs. Hogan~! Obviously when the game came out, everyone from the US promotions had jacked up attire colors and that took me a few days to figure out ("What do you mean I spent three hours trying to make Kane and he was right there all along?!") but I spent a lot of the summer between third and fourth grade with that game. I ended up getting Fire Pro 2 from Movie Gallery and wasn't as fond of that game because it took out the tournaments and I didn't like that the American version was stripped of Management of the Ring mode. I loved the gameplay once I figured everything out and my copy of Fire Pro 2 had a ton of edits on it before some asshole stole it from me in middle school. I don't play Fire Pro often anymore. If I really want an import game fix I'll throw in KOC, be it KOC II or one of the original two games or I'll dig out Wrestle Kingdom 1 & 2 and sometimes I break out VPW or VPW2. Fire Pro was basically the gateway to Japanese wrestling for me because if I hadn't been interested in those games, I would have never stumbled onto Monitor's site for KOC 2 and would have never bought that game and a fliptop or started downloading NOAH and New Japan matches and nearly getting banned from the library.