Basic Edit-Making Tips and Tricks

For any guides or helpful information regarding Fire Pro Wrestling World.
Reckless101
Community Member

Re: Basic Edit-Making Tips and Tricks

Postby Reckless101 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:11 pm

craziej2k wrote:OMG I thought I was the only one who did this! I've been experimenting with a more basic version as having random percentages drives me mad!

I totally feel you :lol: . I also like to work with numbers divisible by 5 as much as possible too, so that also adds to it.

craziej2k
Community Member

Postby craziej2k » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:28 pm

Reckless101 wrote:
craziej2k wrote:OMG I thought I was the only one who did this! I've been experimenting with a more basic version as having random percentages drives me mad!

I totally feel you :lol: . I also like to work with numbers divisible by 5 as much as possible too, so that also adds to it.

Do you always put certain moves in certain slots as well? nothing annoys me more than having someones standing finisher as down & Circle as opposed to Square & X.

Reckless101
Community Member

Postby Reckless101 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:15 am

craziej2k wrote:Do you always put certain moves in certain slots as well? nothing annoys me more than having someones standing finisher as down & Circle as opposed to Square & X.

I do! Square+X is usually where I put my edit's grapple finish as well. It is a bit of case by case though. Since Square+X leaves the opponent down for the longest time, I also use that slot for a move that helps to set up my edit's top rope diving move, like the Shooting Star Press, if that's their primary finish. Some examples would be a Superkick, Cutting Row or any other move that leaves my edit standing.

Other things I do:

Weak Grapple: Square = An attack that leaves the opponent standing (Ex: Elbow Bunt, Knife-Edge Chop).
Weak Grapple: Up+Square = Bodyslam or one of its other variants.
Medium Grapple: Up+X = Usually a standard Vertical Suplex, Snap Suplex or Belly to Belly Suplex, depending on the style of edit.
Somewhere in Strong Grapple = I always reserve a spot for one medium grapple move. I just like how it balances strong grapples for me.

craziej2k
Community Member

Postby craziej2k » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:46 am

Reckless101 wrote:
craziej2k wrote:Do you always put certain moves in certain slots as well? nothing annoys me more than having someones standing finisher as down & Circle as opposed to Square & X.

I do! Square+X is usually where I put my edit's grapple finish as well. It is a bit of case by case though. Since Square+X leaves the opponent down for the longest time, I also use that slot for a move that helps to set up my edit's top rope diving move, like the Shooting Star Press, if that's their primary finish. Some examples would be a Superkick, Cutting Row or any other move that leaves my edit standing.

Other things I do:

Weak Grapple: Square = An attack that leaves the opponent standing (Ex: Elbow Bunt, Knife-Edge Chop).
Medium Grapple: Up+X = Usually a standard Vertical Suplex, Snap Suplex or Belly to Belly Suplex, depending on the style of edit.
Somewhere in Strong Grapple = I always reserve a spot for one medium grapple move. I just like how it balances strong grapples for me.

Same here! I wonder if we're the only ones who do this?

Dawnbr3ak3r
ControlFrenzy

Postby Dawnbr3ak3r » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:51 pm

Up + Heavy Grapple is almost always a Brainbuster (Vertical Suplex) of some sort. I use it on every edit, mostly because they're fairly reliable for outside dive setups. My lucha edits either use the Uproot Brainbuster or the Jumping Brainbuster as the animation looks like they're putting a lot of energy into lifting the opponent up. This unfortunately looks kind of silly when they lift larger opponents, but I'd rather it be reliable than them having nothing at all to set up those spots. A lot of my edits have outside dives too, even the larger ones - in the case of the latter, they're more rare. For many of my smaller edits they use them often, but they don't always happen.

If an edit has a reliable front grapple finisher, I'll put it in Down + Heavy Grapple slot. If it's a rare finisher from front grapple, I'll put it in the SML + MED category.

Here's what my Jessica Shields' edit Front Grapples look like:

The Dinosaur Buster (Red, White, and Blue Thunder Bomb) is what I've got marked as her F move, it's also intended to be her rare finisher. She finishes opponents with the Screw Slam followed by a pinfall, or the Spinning Backbreaker followed by a pinfall, or the Kneebreaker from Rear Grapples followed by the Ankle Lock. I've set it up this way so that she has reliable, but varied ways of finishing a match.
The_PR_Dragon wrote:Dragons, Emus, and Wolves are all hearing impaired. Sounds about right.

senator
Community Member

Postby senator » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:18 pm

craziej2k wrote:
Reckless101 wrote:

Other things I do:

Same here! I wonder if we're the only ones who do this?

Nope, looks a lot like my basic approach to moveset listing, every single example listed would be valid for how I like to do things.

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:32 pm

Always have put my finish in square x, as opposed to square x down, or up, sideways, whatever, does this make a difference?

MBXfilms
Community Member

Postby MBXfilms » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:17 pm

It does, but in a good way I'd say. The 2 button spot doesn't have the "get up dazed" effect. So they stay down longer. So a pinning move or a move you will pin after are smart in that spot.

If you want top rope dives to standing and such you need non pins/submissions in the other BIG grapple spots, since they make them get up dazed.

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:30 pm

MBXfilms wrote:It does, but in a good way I'd say. The 2 button spot doesn't have the "get up dazed" effect. So they stay down longer. So a pinning move or a move you will pin after are smart in that spot.

If you want top rope dives to standing and such you need non pins/submissions in the other BIG grapple spots, since they make them get up dazed.

Interesting, was it the same in returns as well?

MBXfilms
Community Member

Postby MBXfilms » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Yes the same effects from returns.

I forget if all the back grapple BIG moves do it also, but then the double button spot just keeps them down, no dazed effect there either.

DM_PSX
Community Member

Postby DM_PSX » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:10 am

I'm finding that it's best to save the Strong and Overwhelming strikes for the opponent dazed in large damage situation.
- They tend to miss anyway any other time, which looks stupid and kills the immersion.
- They give your wrestler something NEW and different to do during the end stages of the match instead of just more grappling
- They have the feel of hitting the opponent with everything they have as one last desperation hit, and the opponent is actually damaged enough to sell them.

Wonderland
Community Member

Postby Wonderland » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:31 am

That's how I roll.

Level
AMBITION Owner

Postby Level » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:02 pm

I've always felt this was a taboo question. But I've always wondered. What determines how often an edit wins grapples? I'm asking for the use on my personal edits in my fed. For example. I have an edit like Perfectshawn Stephens, he's supposed to be one of the top edits in my fed. He should win more often than he loses. Don't get me wrong, he does, but a lot of his winning has to do with his params. He doesn't win as many grapples as I would like. But he gets edits to ND quicker because of his params. I don't like that. I want him to have lower params and win grapples more often. Kind of how I see Wonderland do in matches. Wondy just wins grapples. He's not built with hossy params or a certain affinity from what I can tell.

Wonderland
Community Member

Postby Wonderland » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:22 pm

The first go-to would definitely be ukemi. The lower it is, the more grapples they'll theoretically win on average. Depends on opponent as well, as usual.

Secondary influences may come from fight style, and recovery/breathing/spirit. Sometimes just experimenting with switching up fight style completely changes how an edit performs. Affinity interaction and whatnot probably has something to do with it. And related to that are those three skills. The more they have in the tank, the more likely they are to win grapples (or at least I'm pretty sure I remember some Blackhart-info along those lines, but it stands to reason).

It's definitely a balancing act to squeeze a lot outta these factors and not be a hossmonster. Like you said, Wondy is built around producing workrate, but not necessarily dominating. He definitely doesn't always win, or even close to always (though maybe close to close to always?). But he usually gets in his licks before he goes out if he goes out. And if he wins, it's after having given the opponent more than ample opportunity to have prevented it. Which as you pointed out, is a function of parameters and logic, including specifically ukemi, but also how moves are spread around and where win opportunities come from and their limitations.

tldr: try lowering Perfect Shawn's ukemi, even a dab'll do ya. Or even before that, run a few sims with a different fight style skill. Alternatively, try giving him a High setting in either or more of recovery/breathing/spirit. Then test test test to make sure you didn't OP him.

craziej2k
Community Member

Postby craziej2k » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:30 pm

what about the RNG? I thought grapple winning was up to that mostly? (I read it in here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=60)

Wonderland
Community Member

Postby Wonderland » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:35 pm

This might be one of those situations where a logic category overrides RNG? See the boggling of the geesemind here and POND-er. (cause geese, pond, ehh)
http://www.fpwarena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1772&p=51702#p51702

But ukemi definitely has a noticeable effect. Almost certainly not a placebo. I think it's just that RNG determines say who woulda otherwise won the grapple and what move it would have produced, but ukemi determination overrides it for the other guy and it gets countered.

Hm.. but in that case, it's not so much to the point of Level's question about how to WIN more grapples, not just counter them... Hmmmm... In which case, I'd lean more heavily on the non-ukemi ideas I mentioned above to try and achieve that. Though RNG still looms large in asking what those changes would effect if it's ALL and ONLY RNG determined. But as pondered by geese above, it doesn't appear that it is ALL just RNG determined and certain overrides may exist, some of which may include things like ukemi/fight style/gas in the tank.

DM_PSX
Community Member

Postby DM_PSX » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:43 am

Per the latest patch, the CPU now does PERFORMANCE 4 when winning a match.

senator
Community Member

Postby senator » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:41 pm

Here's a basic tip you probably all know, but sometimes I forget to do it, so I figure I'll pass this out as a reminder. When putting a bald cap on our edits, it's sometimes easy to forget to copy and paste the skin tone color to the cap. Do remember to do so, or else you might get uber-shiny head syndrome.

kikrusher99
Community Member

Postby kikrusher99 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:27 pm

How do you copy the skin tone? I've checked it before and it's 255 across the board. That's not right is it?

Wonderland
Community Member

Postby Wonderland » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:31 pm

kikrusher99 wrote:How do you copy the skin tone? I've checked it before and it's 255 across the board. That's not right is it?

Right click with mouse, triangle with controller. But it's for skin to skin type parts, which I think includes the bald caps cause they come with the color variety and matching number at the end like the body parts. Otherwise, yeah the skin parts have their own color numbers which don't match up with the rest of edit parts.
Last edited by Wonderland on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kikrusher99
Community Member

Postby kikrusher99 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Ok that's what I've done with a base 2 edit but it was 255 all white. When I pasted on a paint layer on the face it was all white.

Wonderland
Community Member

Postby Wonderland » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:41 pm

Oops, failed ninja edit on my part too late.

Copy pasting skin colors should work from skin to skin body parts, but not from attire color to skin or vice versa. I think. I mean I know the skin color copy paste works cause I was doing a bunch of it last night.

senator
Community Member

Postby senator » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:45 pm

Yep, copy and paste works so long as your skin tones all match up, and you're copy and pasting between skin tone parts, whether they be body or bald cap parts. Anything else has to be separately configured to line up, although you can certainly copy and paste non skin colors between non skin color parts.

Will
Community Member

Postby Will » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:01 am

Speaking of skin colour, how do y'all treat matching up skin colour "parts" to give the illusion of skin to a wrestler's actual skin colour?

Like say you want flame designs on trunks, and use a skin-coloured t-shirt to cover up the midsection and make it look like skin. How do y'all match up the skin colours? I admittedly struggle with that.

Wonderland
Community Member

Postby Wonderland » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:10 am

Eyeball it. Never feels ideal.