FPRSaveTool (prototype)

Software for modifying Fire Pro Wrestling save files.
freem
Everytime I am Particular

FPRSaveTool (prototype)

Postby freem » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:25 pm

Current Version: v0.0.2 (2016/12/06; December 6th, 2016)
Running Changelog

Version 0.0.2 is now available!

Original post below...

In another thread, I had made a throwaway reference to "FPRSaveTool"...

Even though it's nowhere near ready for general use, I thought it would be a good idea to at least introduce it.

FPRSaveTool is (as the name would suggest) a Fire Pro Returns Save Tool. The immediate bad news is that this doesn't provide editing capability since I have no idea how the checksum works. However, I wanted to make this to see if I could figure out the Fire Pro Returns data structures. (and possibly convince JB that I'm worthy enough?? :p)

The program is nowhere near done yet, due to an internal quarrel over the preferred way to show the appearance data for edit wrestlers, referees, and recostume slots. The two options I had in mind are implemented on the Wrestler Appearance tab and the Referees Tab (Appearance section). I kind of like the Referee appearance editor more, but I'm not sure if others feel the same way.

(All screenshots are from an in-development version, not the downloadable version below)

Of course, the most interesting part is the edit wrestler page:
While not every part is implemented, a number of things are being successfully read from the data. I still have not looked into the formats of the Moveset or CPU Logic.

Other screenshots of (somewhat) working parts
Options tab
Belts tab
Referees tab
Ring Mats tab

Of course, this tool will deprecate my logo viewer...
(Logos from DJKM's Beginner Pack 2016 for demonstration purposes)

About a week or so ago, I uploaded a test version of the program and posted about it on twitter. I didn't immediately post it here because I was worried people wouldn't read the readme... You see, this program only works on the raw save file for the time being, which requires an extraction process (detailed in the readme).

In any case, you can download the first prototype version (v0.0.1) here:
http://firepro.ajworld.net/FPRSaveTool_preview-001.zip
Keep in mind, this is an earlier version of the program compared to the above screenshots. I'm still working on various features, including HTML template export, the CPU Logic interface, and the remaining Appearance parts.

Comments and feedback are requested.
Last edited by freem on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DakotaK
King of Joshi Puroresu

Re: FPRSaveTool (prototype)

Postby DakotaK » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:39 pm

That's awesome.
I've followed a bit of your progress and this has evolved by leaps and bounds since the last time I checked.
Thanks for sharing this here as well.

Do you think it might ever be possible to access the 3 "extra" appearance slots for edits?
Dakota's Fire Pro Wrestling Showcases: the Gallery "World" | the Gallery "Returns"
orochigeese wrote:Dakota's World of Joshi Puroresu turns FPR into Fire Pro R: Queen's Special.

freem

Postby freem » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:45 pm

The only way I can foresee edits being able to have more than one costume is to hack the game executable itself. Only one costume is stored for each edit. (Coincidentally, the same problem exists for wrestler appearance edits; there's only one slot available per wrestler.) This program won't change that, sadly. :(

DakotaK
King of Joshi Puroresu

Postby DakotaK » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:47 pm

I see, that makes sense.
A shame though.

Still this is great work you are doing and it's certainly appreciated.
Dakota's Fire Pro Wrestling Showcases: the Gallery "World" | the Gallery "Returns"
orochigeese wrote:Dakota's World of Joshi Puroresu turns FPR into Fire Pro R: Queen's Special.

Lord Worm
Dominus Haplotaxida

Postby Lord Worm » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:30 pm

Whatever comes out of this is still pretty cool. I've wanted something like this for quite some time.

Can you work on the appearance of the edit too?

freem

Postby freem » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:42 pm

Yes; that's actually why I wanted to release this, to get feedback on the interface for appearances.

While Referee appearance data is all in one spot (using a scrollable panel), the Wrestler appearance data is set up using multiple tabs...

I wasn't sure if the multiple tab setup would be preferred over the panel setup (or vice versa), so everyone please let me know which one you prefer.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:27 am

Happy Holidays, FP Arena!! :numberone: Our Cyber Monday gift has come :D

MAGNIFICENT job, Freem. I'm looking forward to downloading this and checking it out! :markout:

I'm still working on various features, including HTML template export

HTML Template Export feature would be awesome. I loved using that for JB's FPD Edit. Even in this era of emus and max drives, sometimes it can be really handy to use an HTML template on the go or for reference.

I wasn't sure if the multiple tab setup would be preferred over the panel setup (or vice versa), so everyone please let me know which one you prefer.

Looking at the ref page and comparing it with the tab-based edit menu above, it's not an easy choice. It may be one of those things that people are mostly split on (while not being terribly CRITICAL! that it be one way or another). I think I may slightly favor the scroll based option for Appearance mode just because I'm so used to that with the game itself (not that it's better, just familiar).

Would it be a ridiculous suggestion to have two versions of the program, one with tab-based and one with panel? Would that be too much work for you to ensure that everything else works well with both approaches?

freem

Postby freem » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:40 pm

Current Status: Trying to power through CPU Logic UI design (has to be done programatically); I've figured out most of the CPU Logic data structure, but I need to go back and get a proper reading on one set of values... (and then there's the deal with the Priority Move Slots and Actions, which I have no idea how that works.)

orochigeese wrote:Would it be a ridiculous suggestion to have two versions of the program, one with tab-based and one with panel? Would that be too much work for you to ensure that everything else works well with both approaches?

Sad to say that it is ridiculous, since maintaining two versions of the program is a pain in the neck. I'd rather just deal with the one version (and I'm thinking that'll be the scrolling panel one, unless anyone has any objections).

SonnyBone
Community Member

Postby SonnyBone » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:03 pm

OOOOH this is so sweet

And yeah, stick with one version

:ceese:
#FetidToads

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:05 pm

freem wrote:Current Status: Trying to power through CPU Logic UI design (has to be done programatically); I've figured out most of the CPU Logic data structure, but I need to go back and get a proper reading on one set of values... (and then there's the deal with the Priority Move Slots and Actions, which I have no idea how that works.)

Interesting that Priority settings are programmed so differently.

Sounds like good progress on CPU logic over all though!! :idea:

freem wrote:Sad to say that it is ridiculous, since maintaining two versions of the program is a pain in the neck. I'd rather just deal with the one version (and I'm thinking that'll be the scrolling panel one, unless anyone has any objections).

"Orochi Geese: The community's source of ridiculous solutions for simple problems since 2002" :lol:

I also prefer the scrolling panel idea since it reminds me more of the way it is in the game. But I'd be totally fine if you decide the other approach is better. Overall, just really excited for this!! :markout:

Lord Worm
Dominus Haplotaxida

Postby Lord Worm » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:27 pm

Does the export edit option work?
This could make my templates go a lot faster

freem

Postby freem » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:40 pm

Current Status: Still powering through the CPU Logic interface code.
CPU Logic Priority slots are somewhat sussed out; still need to collect all the possible values for the move slots, however.

Action values are pretty straightforward. (0="-----" (used when move is 0xFFFF/None); 1=Pick up Opponent; 2=Roll Opponent; 3=Head X; 4=Legs X; 5=Head Circle; 6=Legs Circle)

Lord Fn Worm wrote:Does the export edit option work?

Not at the moment, sadly. I still have to figure out the moveset data before I can, since I'm storing data in structures that don't map 1:1 to the save file's values.

Lord Worm
Dominus Haplotaxida

Postby Lord Worm » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:11 am

Lord Fn Worm wrote:Does the export edit option work?

Not at the moment, sadly. I still have to figure out the moveset data before I can, since I'm storing data in structures that don't map 1:1 to the save file's values.

I hope you figure it out. That could cut my Edit making time in half.

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:28 pm

Looking forward to see the final result of this, seems pretty sweet......

TigerSword
Owner and Founder

Postby TigerSword » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:17 am

:markout:

freem

Postby freem » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:29 pm

First post updated with link to v0.0.2, but for people who prefer seeing version releases in chronological order in the thread...

v0.0.2 is now available for download.
See the running changelog for more information on what's new.

DakotaK
King of Joshi Puroresu

Postby DakotaK » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:16 pm

Just downloaded the new version and I'm genuinely impressed at what it's already able to read and show.
As soon as it's able to read the complete appearance data of my edits and export it in text format I might actually start doing templates again :lol:

Seriously, great work and thanks for sharing your progress with us.
And happy holidays!

freem

Postby freem » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:38 pm

In case you didn't hear the good news... this program will eventually be able to edit and save things.

As it stands, there are still a few things preventing me from supporting this 100% (because I'm a stubborn jerk who isn't editing a block of memory that's 1:1 to the save data), but that can be fixed.

The main things in the way now with my current approach:
  • Figuring out how many bytes the options data actually takes up
  • Figuring out various other blocks of data (such as: the block starting at 0x00020; Tournament and League Data; 0x100BF-0x110B3 range (seems to be 0x00 fill in every save I have); 0x111E0-0x11859 range)
  • Interpreting various pieces of data to complete things that are only half finished in the current editor (e.g. which wrestlers are in what groups, and so on)

I am HIGHLY TEMPTED to make (edit: currently working on making) a smaller program that ONLY deals with the edit wrestlers, as that's the most important part of the save file. Even with this approach, I still have to figure out all the possible values for the moveset data, which will take a while. (Of course, if the edit wrestler block is exported without the moveset being changed, this isn't as much of an issue.)

Eddie Lukin
Community Member

Postby Eddie Lukin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:47 am

What a time to be alive. Thank you for being so dedicated.
Say hey if you remember Pro Wrestling SHAFT!

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:37 am

TheChristoph wrote:What a time to be alive.

Spoiler: show

:D

freem wrote:In case you didn't hear the good news... this program will eventually be able to edit and save things.

I am HIGHLY TEMPTED to make (edit: currently working on making) a smaller program that ONLY deals with the edit wrestlers, as that's the most important part of the save file. Even with this approach, I still have to figure out all the possible values for the moveset data, which will take a while. (Of course, if the edit wrestler block is exported without the moveset being changed, this isn't as much of an issue.)

Seriously this is incredible news. I love the progress here and I can not wait to use this tool to do some editing on my PC without even needing to turn on the game. Actually, could even edit a wrestler with this tool while watching matches in the background. That may be overkill though. You didn't create this project for evil super villain Geese to have 10 monitors running with simming with a central FPRSaveTool running on my computer :lol:

... or did you :? :twisted: :angrymob:

freem

Postby freem » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:50 am

orochigeese wrote:You didn't create this project for evil super villain Geese to have 10 monitors running with simming with a central FPRSaveTool running on my computer :lol:

... or did you :? :twisted: :angrymob:

hahaha, no; I only have two monitors at most on any given computer (works really good for running multiple Fire Pro games for comparisons!)

but that sounds like a great idea :D

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:36 am

I have dual screened FPR and have also dual-inputted FPR by running it on two different systems on my TV :lol:

Right now, my setup allows for 3 FPR's running at the same time but only 2 screens to view it :punch:

helmar
Community Member

Postby helmar » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:51 pm

This is all amazing, I'm honestly awe struck
:numberone:
"Just another geek in his midthirties (forties) playing a strange video game in which little men hug each other" -Eisenheim

johnz1
Community Member

Postby johnz1 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:41 pm

If Spike does release a new Fire Pro, this tool is about to become hugely important for those of us who want to migrate FPR edits.

Unless Spike provides a tool to convert FPR edits to the new game....

brick9mm
Community Member

Postby brick9mm » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:04 pm

Messed around with this a little. Great little work in progress. Hope this gets finished, cause if it does it'll be a valuable tool for making old edits in Fire Pro World.
Last edited by brick9mm on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.