Movie Reviews and Discussion

TheDenizen
Community Member

Re: Movie Reviews and Discussion

Postby TheDenizen » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:25 am

jbravos wrote:Batman v Superman.. be honest people are you going to see this? Already knowing the outcome in the title, knowing the outcome in the trailer??

Nope. I have zero interest in any Batman project not involving Adam West or Michael Keaton. And I have zero interest in Superman, period.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:39 pm

I haven't seen the relaunched Superman series with that new guy. And I don't buy Affleck as Batman shoehorned into this movie without his own Batman movie first. I don't think I can accept another Batman for a while after the excellent Nolan trilogy. I won't see Batman vs. Superman in the theater but I'm sure I'll catch it on TNT on a weekend night :lol:

I'm not really a fan of Superman's character but the DC animated specials have made him more nuanced in entertaining and thought-provoking ways. Hopefully that continues in this movie. I think the days of "Superman beats everything and is perfect" are thankfully long behind us but he's still not one of the more compelling super heroes to me.

I am rather excited for Xmen: Apocalypse but I don't like them giving Mystique's role so much presence just because she's played by Jennifer Lawrence and I have mixed feelings on Magneto's role.

Spoiler: show
He's part of the Four Horsemen but I feel like he's too important and independent to be Team Apocalypse for any given time. Thing is, the storytelling of how Apocalypse is influencing him is probably interesting enough to warrant it.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:21 pm

Batman is still one of the roles which I don't believe they've managed to conclusively cast with a definitive actor for the part. I've never considered any actor that has played Bruce Wayne to have done a good job of it. Probably the only reason I never got into the new Batman series is because of Christian Bale's silly Batman voice. None of the guys that have played Batman so far even resemble Bruce Wayne from the comics either which is something that has always bugged me. They sort of cast Bruce Wayne as a 'John Everyman' with money.

Guys like Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark and Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool I consider perfect spot on Hollywood did something right for once, casting, and those were only flukes. Tom Cruise was originally set to play Tony Stark but had to drop out due to another project and the Deadpool movie wasn't even going to be made until Ryan Reynolds paid for the proof of concept video out of his own pocket and 'leaked' it on youtube which got millions of hits in spite of Hollywood ruining the character in the Wolverine movie. Now Deadpool has gone on the become the highest grossing R rated movie to hit theaters and a franchise is all but guaranteed.

The Punisher is another character who has never truly been cast correctly either. Ray Winstone is probably the closest to the comic Hollywood has got. I actually haven't seen how the Punisher has turned out in the Daredevil TV series yet so I can't comment on him aside from being too small and not Italian.
I'm hoping now that Deadpool has set a precedent for the comic book movie and the R rating, The Punisher might actually get some justice on film.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:57 pm

Downey Jr. as Iron Man was perfect. I didn't realize Tom Cruise was originally considered.

I think the rest of the Avengers were cast extremely well too, especially Thor.

I still haven't seen Deadpool. But I really am not familiar enough with the comics to judge how authentic the movie is.

I thought Bale did a good job as Batman but I agree he wasn't definitive as Bruce Wayne at all. I don't really consider anyone to have been but Bruce Wayne is a hard role to pull off. That combination of his character traits is a stretch for most people. I loved the Nolan trilogy and I liked Bale but he wasn't the strongest part.

My favorite parts of the trilogy involving Bale was the story of the Bruce/Batman hybrid character overcoming plot challenges but I thought he did a good job with them, particularly in the third after Bane basically broke him.

I have mixed feelings about the Batman voice. It sounded like steamy pillow talk :goose: but the concept itself was excellent. As far as I can remember, no other live action Batman actor tried to change his voice from Bruce Wayne to Batman. And given that some of Batman's enemies used to be Bruce Wayne's friends (or just knew Bruce), it's a pretty big clue who Batman is if you get him to talk for long enough. So while i think the execution of the voice left something to be desired, I applaud the Nolan trilogy for trying to disguise Batman in every way, including that crucial voice difference. It made me look at past superhero movies (those with secret identities) and wonder why the voice disguising wasn't tried more often.

I would love to hear the fun that Animated Series Joker would have had with Pillow Talk Batman :lol:

And Nolan-series Bane too :lol:

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:26 am

Gonna break from my usual format of short and pithy reviews here. I just saw something so weird, I cannot possibly sum up my thoughts in a mere 500 characters. Apologies in advance for the wall of text below. It's full of spoilers but I can pretty much guarantee no one is ever going to watch this movie.

Kung Fu Contra as Bonecas - The literal translation of this title from Portuguese is "Kung Fu vs the Dolls", but the copy I saw was actually titled Bruce Lee vs Gay Power. That's right kids, it's a Brazilian Brucesploitation movie from the mid 70s, and I saw it with no subtitles....but allow me to take a crack at summarizing the plot.

The movie sets up more like a dusty Western, although the presence of Volkswagen beetles and microbuses indicate it is set in the modern era. There's a gang of ruthless (and flamboyantly gay) banditos traveling around murdering what appear to be Chinese farmers. Bruce Lee wanders out of the desert and happens across them right after they shoot an old man and are terrorizing his daughter. Bruce and the daughter team up and beat up the bandits...Bruce punches one guy in the crotch so hard, his balls literally fly out of his mouth and he dies. This sets up a series of escalating fights where Bruce nunchucks his way up the bandit ladder, culminating in a bloody showdown with the bandit leader.

As expected, the production values and kung fu on display are entirely laughable (the best 30 seconds of martial arts in the whole movie shows one of the random bandits practicing Capoeira in the background). There's a bunch of terrible throwaway comedy. What makes this film so interesting is its sexual politics. I know what you're thinking...."this is a cheap chop socky comedy from 40 years ago and you didn't even understand any of the dialog...WTF are you talking about sexual politics?" Just hear me out.

As stated, the bandits are clearly supposed to be gay. They wear brightly colored outfits and scarves, they mince around effeminately and dance together, paint their faces and do each others hair. This is all very stereotypical and silly, and indeed, the bandits are mostly played as buffoons. However, the bandits also rape their female victims, and have a big party with a bunch of half naked women. Their leader even has a harem of girls, and there are several scenes of them cavorting around in bed together. This is confusing to say the least. Are they gay or not?

Then our Bruce Lee lookalike (and I use that term in the loosest possible sense) appears on the scene. He's keen to fight the bad guys, but because they're killers...their sexuality is kind of a non-factor despite being front and center. In fact, Bruce himself wears a cut off hot pink muscle shirt with the words KUNG FU in bright blue letters on it, and spends most of his time fussing over his hair-do. Doesn't exactly scream "machismo". Bruce eventually ends up in bed with the girl, but he's not interested in her, as he's too focused on playing his miniature saxophone (very subtle). The girl storms off in frustration. There's a crossdresser character who isn't part of the bandit gang, who shows up basically to act as a cheerleader for Bruce during a couple of the fights.

Throughout the movie there's a series of flashbacks to younger Bruce Lee listening to solemn lessons from what I assumed to be his kung fu master, an old black guy with a huge white fu manchu mustache. But in the final flashback, Bruce and the old guy are seen slow dancing together, a clear indication their relationship was something more. At the end of the film, the bandit leader kills the girl before Bruce stabs him in the neck....and then there's a very strange scene tacked on that has Bruce busting into the hotel room of a random hetero couple and threatening/berating them for some mysterious reason. Then Bruce and the crossdresser wander out into the desert, hand in hand as the credits roll.

It's the strangest thing. Why is it Bruce Lee vs Gay Power? Bruce Lee is clearly gay, and the bad guys are bisexual at most. Bruce is nearly as effeminate as the cartoonish villains are. If this was intended as some sort of gay empowerment, then why are the depictions of gay people so cliche and silly? If the sexuality of the bad guys doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, why spend so much time establishing it? Part of me desperately wants to find a copy of this movie with subtitles to get some answers...but I'm also a little scared that the answers might be trite and remove some of the wonder I experienced watching this blind.

Seriously, nothing about this movie is good. It's impossible to rate it objectively. This isn't really even a review, it's just me thinking out loud in order to make some sense of it. From the title I figured I was just going to see a goofy kung fu flick with some comically dated stereotypes, but there's so much more than that going on. This movie completely defied my expectations of what it would be, and made me think about it for a long time after it ended. I love when that happens.

:smoking:

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:04 am

jbravos wrote:Batman v Superman.. be honest people are you going to see this? Already knowing the outcome in the title, knowing the outcome in the trailer??

It makes me weep for the concept of comic book crossover movies

TheDenizen wrote:

Nope. I have zero interest in any Batman project not involving Adam West or Michael Keaton. And I have zero interest in Superman, period.

FIGHT ME
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:30 am

I've always been a steadfast Marvel guy. Very few DC titles worth reading IMO (at least, during the period when I actively read comics...though oddly enough, my fave title of all time was Sandman, a DC book).

Batman only gets a pass in instances where he is a campy joke (ie West and Keaton)...because Batman is a campy joke. And Supes is just a dork :P Sorry Marsh

jbravos
Community Member

Postby jbravos » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:54 am

The Best Batman/Superman crossover story was World's Finest Part of the Superman Animated Series both characters were well done & the story was much better then this movie that's coming out. I find it odd a movie like this is out in March. DC is really taking a chance here having this out now and saving Suicide Squad for the summer.

Batman meets Sups Worlds Finest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F90nxOlsm1s

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:02 am

Himizu - A teenager with abusive parents and a rigid behavioral code struggles to survive in a small Japanese town that has been partially destroyed by the tsunami of 2011. It's actually a fairly typical coming of age story, the kid (a fairly obvious representative of Japan as a nation) trying to make sense of the world and define his place within it. Sion Sono's direction is unobtrusive and assured, but it ends on a weirdly hopeful beat after two hours of relentless misery, which feels a little cheap. 7/10

Outpost
- Ray Stevenson leads a band of mercenaries protecting a mystery man searching for a scientific thingamajig in a war zone. Of course they end up in a seemingly abandoned WWII bunker and get attacked by Nazi zombies. Picture Dead Snow shot more in the style of R-Point and you'll have a pretty good idea of what's on offer here. It's not terrible, but it definitely could've used a little more tension and way more splatter. 5.5/10

fullMETAL
Belt-Designing Crayonicorn

Postby fullMETAL » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:27 pm

I'll watch it on DVD, but I'm not wasting one of my movie tickets on it.

Although I do look forward to Batfleck and Gal Gadot's take on Wonder Woman.
Escargot in 5 minutes or your dignity back!

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:14 am

fullMETAL wrote: Batfleck

I enjoyed that 8-)

TheDenizen wrote:I've always been a steadfast Marvel guy. Very few DC titles worth reading IMO (at least, during the period when I actively read comics...though oddly enough, my fave title of all time was Sandman, a DC book).

Batman only gets a pass in instances where he is a campy joke (ie West and Keaton)...because Batman is a campy joke. And Supes is just a dork :P Sorry Marsh

Speaking as a goose who prefers Marvel as well, give Kingdom Come a read if you never have. It's one of the best superhero stories I've ever read and truly earned it's "graphic novel" moniker. Totally worth getting into if you have a few hours on a Sunday afternoon. I still remember reading it in 2000 and loving it.

TheDenizen wrote:Gonna break from my usual format of short and pithy reviews here. I just saw something so weird, I cannot possibly sum up my thoughts in a mere 500 characters. Apologies in advance for the wall of text below. It's full of spoilers but I can pretty much guarantee no one is ever going to watch this movie.

Kung Fu Contra as Bonecas - The literal translation of this title from Portuguese is "Kung Fu vs the Dolls", but the copy I saw was actually titled Bruce Lee vs Gay Power. That's right kids, it's a Brazilian Brucesploitation movie from the mid 70s, and I saw it with no subtitles....but allow me to take a crack at summarizing the plot.

I loved reading your plot summary of this crazy go nuts movie :D

I have no clue what's going on with the sexual politics but you rightly pointed out that it's all over the place :goocifer:

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:04 pm

"crazy go nuts" is a good way to describe Bruce Lee vs Gay Power

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:25 pm

I watched 'The Walk' last night, good movie, a true story about a guy who tries to walk a tightrope across the twin towers illegally, really enjoyed this, the scenes from the top of the towers were amazingly done.....

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:56 am

Turbo Kid - A comics-obsessed teen in a post apocalyptic wasteland adopts the persona of bike riding hero Turbo Kid to rescue his girlfriend from an evil warlord. An eclectic movie that revels in 80's nostalgia and presents a sweet, innocent romance butted up against scenes of over the top gore and cheesy laser effects. To the film's credit, these rapid tonal shifts never feel jarring or unnatural. Fun bad guys, great music and some sweet BMX jumps. Recommended. 8/10

The Horde
- Low budget French gore flick in which a group of cops are forced to team up with a group of criminals to survive a zombie apocalypse. With a plot thinner than Kate Moss, zero character development, and a set that consists of a series of mostly empty concrete rooms, this movie seems content to live or die on its sequences of action and gore. Thankfully these are both frequent and extreme. It's a decent if unexceptional mix of The Raid: Redemption and 28 Days Later. 6/10

Pyrodean
Community Member

Postby Pyrodean » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:44 pm

I saw Batman v Superman last night. It was better than I was expecting. I was very much against Affleck as Batman, but I have to admit he did a good job. I liked him better than Bale but then again I wasn't the biggest fan of Bale's Batman. I really wished they did a movie establishing him as Batman before this though. He plays an older Batman and a lot seems to have happened already. I need to let it sink in first but he may very well be my favorite Batman yet. And again I was a big Ben hater.

I never saw Man of Steel but I like the guy playing Superman. I'm holding off judgement on Wonder Woman because I don't feel I saw enough from her to make a sound review. But from what little there was, I liked her. Same goes for Jeremy Irons as Alfred. There just wasn't enough of him in the movie but he seemed like he could be an awesome Alfred.

Things I didn't like. Doomsday...I don't want to go into everything I didn't like about him because it might give too much away but I'll just say they really didn't do him right imho. Also Eisenberg (sp?) as Luthor. Again I didn't see Man of Steel so I don't know how he was in that. But I just did not like him as Lex. He made a great villain actually, just not a good Lex Luthor. Lex Luthor should be more charismatic and less whiney millenial. Maybe I've just seen too much Gene Hackmen as Lex to like this new version lol.

The movie also seemed a bit rushed. Not rushed to the point where it kills it but it could have used another movie or two to build it up.

Overall I really liked it. Word of advice though, put the Nolan movies out of your mind when watching this, Especially for Batman. This more of a comic book movie and less of Nolan's "going out of the way to make things more realistic" style.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:17 am

Pyrodean wrote:Also Eisenberg (sp?) as Luthor. Again I didn't see Man of Steel so I don't know how he was in that. But I just did not like him as Lex. He made a great villain actually, just not a good Lex Luthor. Lex Luthor should be more charismatic and less whiney millenial. Maybe I've just seen too much Gene Hackmen as Lex to like this new version lol.

You didn't have to love Hackman to not want to see a whiney millenial as Luthor :lol:

I think Hackman was great but my favorite Luthor is the DC Animated movies version which is basically a combination of genius inventor and crime boss. The confidence and ruthlessness of Geese Howard and the brilliance of Iron Man in one. That's a Lex Luthor that can take down Superman and match wits with Batman.

I wouldn't let Jesse Eisenberg intern for that Luthor :lol:

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:17 am

Renegade (aka Blueberry) - An adaptation of a French comic book series serves as the basis for this obtuse and spiritual Western. It has all the bits that go into a conventional Western tale, but it all seems very strange through the eyes of the peyote-soaked main character Mike Blueberry, on something of a vision quest to understand his own past. Though it's a little underwhelming overall, there's some beautiful photography and several scenes of intense psychedelic visuals. Also, the cast is phenomenal (Vincent Cassel, Ernest Borgnine, Colm Meaney, Michael Madsen, Eddie Izzard etc). 6.5/10

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:30 am

Can't hear that name without thinking:

and hearing the little guitar twang at the end of the song :lol:

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:53 am

lol :upsidedownlol:

WVP206
Community Member

Postby WVP206 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:49 am

orochigeese wrote:Can't hear that name without thinking:

and hearing the little guitar twang at the end of the song :lol:

"He was a cop, and good at his job..."

:ceese:
Wario Van Peebles - The Overseer of 3W Wrestling

unimportantguy
Community Member

Postby unimportantguy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:25 pm

I keep wanting to see Denizen reviews of Jodorowsky films. Have you ever seen El Topo, Deni?

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:30 pm

never seen El Topo or Holy Mountain....or any Jodorowsky for that matter.

I'm not opposed on principle, but surrealism is not a genre that normally gets me excited, so I tend not to see many of them. I've only seen a couple of David Lynch films, and the only one I really liked was The Elephant Man, probably the most "mainstream" conventional film he's ever made.

unimportantguy
Community Member

Postby unimportantguy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:09 am

Elephant Man is totally my jam. I love when Lynch is a little more restrained and doesn't just completely go off the deep end.

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:34 am

Battleship - Probably the most expensive goof movie ever made, in which a bunch of idiots save the world by winning a life sized game of Battleship against alien invaders. It's packed with so many cheesy lines, genre cliches and over the top military porn, that it's much more entertaining when viewed as a parody of action flicks rather than an action flick in its own right. Silly enough to satisfy, but it was way too long and no one said the line "You sunk my battleship". Opportunity missed. 6/10

Butch Camp
- A wimpy gay bank clerk goes to a boot camp run by a lunatic dominatrix to learn how to stand up for himself. This is basically your standard soap opera caliber love triangle, except the two dudes end up together in the end. Judy Tenuta, best known for her accordion-playing love goddess/stand up comic persona, plays the dominatrix and a couple of her motivational rants are pretty funny. The rest of this is kinda lame, mostly because the acting is so terrible. 4/10

Dawnbr3ak3r
ControlFrenzy

Postby Dawnbr3ak3r » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:31 am

I don't know if Total Recall (the Arnold Swartzeneggar 1990 film) is supposed to be funny or not. The special effects are hilariously great and kept my interest throughout. I had forgotten about the three-breasted hooker or whatever she was supposed to be (I never saw the movie before, only hearing things about it). The movie had everything I would ever want in a cinematic experience: Stupid one-liners, ridiculous characters, and completely over-the-top absurd special effects.
The_PR_Dragon wrote:Dragons, Emus, and Wolves are all hearing impaired. Sounds about right.