Stuff That Doesn't Deserve It's Own Thread

saiyanblade84
Community Member

Stuff That Doesn't Deserve It's Own Thread

Postby saiyanblade84 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:01 am

I thought I'd go ahead and make this, since nobody else has yet. It's for random thoughts, rants, photos, or whatever.
Facebook/Twitter/PSN/Skype: SaiyanBlade84

C-Drive
Web Ninja

Re: Stuff That Doesn't Deserve It's Own Thread

Postby C-Drive » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:02 am

Modded the title and stickied for posterity.
FPWR Save Conversion Kit v1.3 (2016-09-06)
Use this toolkit to easily convert .max and .psu files into the PlayStation Network (PlayStation 3) format, convert saves between regions, or load .max and .psu files into .ps2 files quickly - and more!

desertpunk
Lord of the Under Realms

Postby desertpunk » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:07 am

You cant fool me C-Drive; I originated the first version of this thread way back at the FPC.......I know what Stuff really stands for. :lol: :shock:

EDIT side note, Sonnybone blames this thread for the death of Spinning deathray...or did once at least. :deadhorse:

greatmuta2
Fan of Pineapples on Pizza

Postby greatmuta2 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:32 am

I agree that it was pretty stupid.It makes sense for the normal general discussion board but for one about random stuff it kinda missed the point entirely.

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:23 am

Oh man, this 10000th Geese post is so tempting.

If it is not one of his Microsoft Paint masterpieces, I will be incredibly disappointed.
ImageImage ImageImage

Makar17
An Owner of Two Chickens

Postby Makar17 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:20 pm

I hate websites that have a top 10, 15 or 20 about whatever and they set it up as a slideshow. Why can't they just post it on one page?
Image Image

C-Drive
Web Ninja

Postby C-Drive » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:52 pm

Makar17 wrote:I hate websites that have a top 10, 15 or 20 about whatever and they set it up as a slideshow. Why can't they just post it on one page?

Here you go: http://www.desli.de/
Use this toolkit to easily convert .max and .psu files into the PlayStation Network (PlayStation 3) format, convert saves between regions, or load .max and .psu files into .ps2 files quickly - and more!

saiyanblade84
Community Member

Postby saiyanblade84 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:35 am

Makar17 wrote:I hate websites that have a top 10, 15 or 20 about whatever and they set it up as a slideshow. Why can't they just post it on one page?

They wanna stick their crummy ads in between slides. Except many people have adblock, so it's just an annoying slideshow.

Is the e-feds area only for Fire Pro feds?

C-Drive
Web Ninja

Postby C-Drive » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:39 am

saiyanblade84 wrote:
Is the e-feds area only for Fire Pro feds?

Nope. Just note in the title what game its for. We have a KOC2 one in there right now.

desertpunk
Lord of the Under Realms

Postby desertpunk » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:55 pm

You know what grinds my gears? Two tone tights or wrestlers with two different color boots. PICK A COLOR YOU PRICKS! :lol:

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Postby Old Baby » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:05 pm

I'm a wrestling fan who finds about 90% of wrestling matches tedious and boring. Strange.

SpiderFab4
Community Member

Postby SpiderFab4 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:17 am

Old Baby wrote:I'm a wrestling fan who finds about 90% of wrestling matches tedious and boring. Strange.

Yeah, same here, it's the weirdest thing. I kinda have a bad attention span (which is why I don't really watch movies) so it can get hard for me to stay focused during a whole match.
Get your Hanes on, lace up your Nikes, grab your Wheaties and your Gatorade and we'll pick up a Big Mac on the way to the ball park.

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Postby Old Baby » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:50 pm

SpiderFab4 wrote:
Old Baby wrote:I'm a wrestling fan who finds about 90% of wrestling matches tedious and boring. Strange.

Yeah, same here, it's the weirdest thing. I kinda have a bad attention span (which is why I don't really watch movies) so it can get hard for me to stay focused during a whole match.

I think it's always been this way for me even as a little kid, I fell in love with the characters and the drama and spectacle, but the matches were usually the low point. That doesn't mean I don't like the matches, because they are the integral centerpiece of the whole thing. There are some great matches that have captivated me through the years, but if there's not a good story backing it up and good ring psychology in play, I don't care. I'd sooner watch two 500 pound behemoths running into each other with their stomachs with a good story to back it up than two athletic guys showing off fancy moves for cheap pops.

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:02 pm

Sumo would be way better if it had storylines.

robthorn24
Owner of Victory Pro

Postby robthorn24 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:41 pm

Old Baby wrote:but if there's not a good story backing it up and good ring psychology in play, I don't care.

This is why it drives me nuts that WWE constantly throws matches together for absolutely no reason. Give me a reason to care about the match. Anything.

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Postby Old Baby » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:08 pm

robthorn24 wrote:
Old Baby wrote:but if there's not a good story backing it up and good ring psychology in play, I don't care.

This is why it drives me nuts that WWE constantly throws matches together for absolutely no reason. Give me a reason to care about the match. Anything.

A match for the sake of a match wouldn't be so bad if the talent wasn't so overexposed, but today it just seems like we've seen everything and there's nothing special about two wrestlers facing off. They have to manufacture a trite story to sell a PPV match between two guys who have been paired off countless times on Raw or SmackDown, and who will likely face off countless more times on Raw and SmackDown after their PPV match is over.

saiyanblade84
Community Member

Postby saiyanblade84 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:32 pm

TheDenizen wrote:Sumo would be way better if it had storylines.

I'd watch it.

C-Drive
Web Ninja

Postby C-Drive » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:33 am

TheDenizen wrote:Sumo would be way better if it had storylines.

Everything is better with (good) storylines, though. Matches are just resolutions of storylines to me in wrestling.

@desertpunk

saiyanblade84
Community Member

Postby saiyanblade84 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:24 am

That's freakin' weird... I stared at it for a good minute or two. I need to sleep.

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Postby Old Baby » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:00 pm

I know that lady. Hi ... your mom.

Chopper Dave
Community Member

Postby Chopper Dave » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:50 am

I could use some computer advice. I bought the parts and built my own computer last year.

First off, cleaning the inside of dust. Small vacuum nozzle or compressed air can? My dad, who has been working with computers for most of his life, suggested the vacuum, saying that the compressed air can drive the dust in to components further if done at the wrong angle. I talked to someone else and researched a bit online, and there are conflicting reports on the matter. Some say that a vacuum nozzle could cause static build up. I'm leaning towards the compressed air, but what do you guys think?

Second, I'm starting to notice a freezing issue with my computer. At first, it was just Counter Strike: Global Offensive, where sometimes in an online match, the sound would skip, and the screen would tear and go black for about 8-10 seconds, then come back. Tonight, it's happening with lower impact programs. On separate occasions, updating Windows Defender, opening File Explorer, even when typing this post, the computer will completely lock up (only the mouse moves) for about 30 seconds before becoming responsive again. The screen doesn't go black during these freezes, but I noticed once that the HDD indicator light was solid. I'm running Windows 10, using Windows Defender for anti virus. The only background process is Logitech gaming software for my mouse. I tried running a Malwarebytes scan, Updating the graphics driver, updating the BIOS. I'm going to try a check disk in the command prompt next. One thing I thought of was my power supply. It's 600 watts, which my dad said tonight didn't seem like a lot. I put my configuration into some power supply calculators online, and they said about 430 to 450 watts would be recommended, so it seems "ok" for now, but if I upgrade any more, I'll most likely get a new power supply as well. Any thoughts on this issue? I'll provide more information if needed.

Last, not as big of an issue, but while I'm at it, what anti virus program(s) are you guys using? As I said above, I'm using Windows Defender, but once in a while I'll also scan with Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and CCleaner. I had some trouble installing AVG free when I upgraded to Windows 10, so I decided to stick with Defender.
Interesting stuff. Stay tuned for more...TALES. OF. INTEREST!!!
This signature was brought to you by...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT7tac9h8Gw

C-Drive
Web Ninja

Postby C-Drive » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:58 pm

Chopper Dave wrote:First off, cleaning the inside of dust. Small vacuum nozzle or compressed air can? My dad, who has been working with computers for most of his life, suggested the vacuum, saying that the compressed air can drive the dust in to components further if done at the wrong angle. I talked to someone else and researched a bit online, and there are conflicting reports on the matter. Some say that a vacuum nozzle could cause static build up. I'm leaning towards the compressed air, but what do you guys think?

I've always done compressed air and never had issues really, but the idea about it getting deeper into components is true. Just make sure your angles are across the components. Really, unless you're a heavy smoker or the computer has been sitting for years in a very dusty place, you shouldn't worry too much about dust. If you just built it last year, and you have a fairly clean house it's probably fine.

Chopper Dave wrote:Second, I'm starting to notice a freezing issue with my computer. At first, it was just Counter Strike: Global Offensive, where sometimes in an online match, the sound would skip, and the screen would tear and go black for about 8-10 seconds, then come back. Tonight, it's happening with lower impact programs. On separate occasions, updating Windows Defender, opening File Explorer, even when typing this post, the computer will completely lock up (only the mouse moves) for about 30 seconds before becoming responsive again. The screen doesn't go black during these freezes, but I noticed once that the HDD indicator light was solid. I'm running Windows 10, using Windows Defender for anti virus. The only background process is Logitech gaming software for my mouse. I tried running a Malwarebytes scan, Updating the graphics driver, updating the BIOS. I'm going to try a check disk in the command prompt next.

If it's a solid freeze it could be memory, you can find some memory testing software for that. But it could also be CPU or motherboard, and could be graphics. Freezes suck at diagnosing.

Chopper Dave wrote:One thing I thought of was my power supply. It's 600 watts, which my dad said tonight didn't seem like a lot. I put my configuration into some power supply calculators online, and they said about 430 to 450 watts would be recommended, so it seems "ok" for now, but if I upgrade any more, I'll most likely get a new power supply as well. Any thoughts on this issue? I'll provide more information if needed.

600 is usually plenty, especially when if you built this machine on the low end of the cost bracket.

Chopper Dave wrote:Last, not as big of an issue, but while I'm at it, what anti virus program(s) are you guys using? As I said above, I'm using Windows Defender, but once in a while I'll also scan with Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and CCleaner. I had some trouble installing AVG free when I upgraded to Windows 10, so I decided to stick with Defender.

If you're on Windows 10, Defender is great. You're doing extra protection with using Malwarebytes, and CCleaner can clean up the registry - but I've recently heard on a more modern OS like Win 10 you shouldn't use software like CCleaner to clean out the registry. I'm not sure either way, so I stopped using it and haven't noticed any problems since switching to 10.

Another security-centric thing I do is always run an adblock extension. uBlock Origin for Firefox or Chrome is the best. Make sure you get uBlock Origin as it's the original and not the copycat, solely called uBlock. I also use a custom hosts file:

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

This blocks unwanted connections to ads and possibly dangerous domains.

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:33 pm

C-Drive wrote:
Another security-centric thing I do is always run an adblock extension. uBlock Origin for Firefox or Chrome is the best. Make sure you get uBlock Origin as it's the original and not the copycat, solely called uBlock. I also use a custom hosts file:

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

This blocks unwanted connections to ads and possibly dangerous domains.

You know what I find really usefull as well? The free version of Ad Muncher, I'm always amazed how much crap, like ad pages, that program filters out.... 8-)

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Postby Old Baby » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:19 pm

1. I've had my computer for almost 5 years and never cleaned the dust out of it. I don't think newer machines get as dusty because they're better ventilated. I opened mine up the other day and it had very little in there. I always make sure I get a bunch of different case fans in mine because cooling has been an issue for me. I've never had to change out a component in this PC and it's still great because I bought pretty high end stuff, so I'm hoping it'll keep chugging along for a long time to come.

2. Freezes don't sound like graphics to me if its happening on stuff like updating your anti-virus. Hopefully it's just memory because that's a pretty easy fix. Hopefully it's not the board.

3. I also think 600 watts is plenty.

4. I used Microsoft Security Essentials for my anti-virus, but I've heard Defender is good now. I used to use Avast and it always did good for me, but it got really annoying with popups asking me to upgrade to the paid version, so I dropped it. Like you, I also run CCleaner and Malwarebytes, so sounds like you got your bases covered.