The Bitching Thread

senator
Community Member

Re: The Bitching Thread

Postby senator » Thu May 24, 2018 5:01 pm

El Marsh wrote:I was antagonized last night in The Elder Scrolls Online for my IRL race, sorta.
:|

Don't let that piece of trash get you down. Ignorant wastes of carbon like that only reveal their own ineptitude to be a functional part of the human race with those sorts of messages. Enjoy your game, and your experience, and just tune the garbage out.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Thu May 24, 2018 5:08 pm

One of the greatest Sony features they ever patched in as far as I'm concerned is the ability to not receive messages from anyone other than people on your friends list. I've had that on since day one and have enjoyed online gaming much more. I also tend to avoid games where you have to play with randoms, aside from fighting games which can't really be helped.

Also Sony will ban players for harassment if you report them, especially if you have messages from them as proof.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Thu May 24, 2018 6:04 pm

Yeah, y'all are right of course.

Just really infuriating.

Rational mind will prevail and all of that but that really wasn't a pleasant thing to wake up to.
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Postby Old Baby » Thu May 24, 2018 6:56 pm

It's always been just amazing to me that decent human beings can be hurt by some random worthless trash whose opinion means zero, yet we all have been. Meanwhile, random worthless trash is never seemingly bothered by the fact that they are worthless trash when they don't have to be.

Dawnbr3ak3r
ControlFrenzy

Postby Dawnbr3ak3r » Thu May 24, 2018 10:04 pm

I like to think those people are being jack asses for the sake of being jack asses and nothing more.

I've never kept track of what color someone's skin might be, what their hair looks like, what their job(s) might be.

Shit, I'm a pasty white cis-gendered male with no particular drive for a romantic relationship and I'm doing pretty okay, all things considered.

But really, who cares? We're all humans. Humans are inherently stupid. Eventually evolution will weed them out.

I'm gonna stop there before I start sounding like a certain (infamous) historical figure.
The_PR_Dragon wrote:Dragons, Emus, and Wolves are all hearing impaired. Sounds about right.

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:33 pm

There is a younger gal I know who is ranting about "The Happytime Murders" (the Henson Alternative movie coming out) saying that Jim Henson is rolling in his grave and whatnot.

I linked her "The Land of Gorch" (Jim's SNL Adult-muppet skit) and figuring she'll probably be angsty about the answer that Jim Henson wasnt Mr. Rogers.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Tue May 29, 2018 7:45 pm

Shit, she probably never saw the original Muppet Show. While not really ribald on the whole, they definitely got some shit past the radar.

But then again, we live in the age where everybody has to be bothered by something and the entire world must needs know about it.
:roll:
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:16 pm

Dude in a doolie hauling a trailer cut me off and I almost ended up going into the woods (which is a damn steep incline I barely avoided).

I could practically post this in happiness as I avoided injury to myself and my car, but Jesus Christ the dude had no reason to nearly kill me.

He did at least stop to wait on me but I was so heated by the time I got back on the road (thank God traffic was already slowing and nobody hit me) I just kept going past him.

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Postby Old Baby » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:31 pm

Yeah, you're very lucky. That happened to a coworker of mine and she ended up messing her back up and having her vehicle totaled.

People not knowing how to drive could be its own thread.

1. People who don't know what to do at 4 way stops. They all sit there and wait for someone else to do something, with one or more people usually trying to wave the other through instead of just taking their turn when they're supposed to.

2. People who don't know how to drive on the Interstate. They roar up behind and then ride on my back bumper when they could just pass. Then they finally whip out and pass, but then they whip back into the right lane with less than a single car's length between our vehicles as if they're afraid they're going to get hit by oncoming traffic when there is no freaking oncoming traffic because it's the freaking Interstate.

3. People who pass me and then almost immediately slow down to make a right turn so that I have to slow down and wait for their impatient ass to get out of the way.

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:47 pm

Im lucky I was reading the scene already. Left lane was crowding up so I started slowing up in the right lane to avoid specifically what happened to me.

I just didnt expect the guy next to me to be the one to do it, so my reaction time was practically zero.

Wouldnt have been nearly the moment if he hadnt had the trailer, because I wouldnt have had to swerve and brake as hard as I did to avoid the trailer. Just braking wouldve likely dodged the truck but he whipped so hard that the trailer wouldve nailed me if I hadnt abandoned the lane.

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:45 pm

Last edited by Timberwolf on Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:48 pm

Last edited by Timberwolf on Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

C-Drive
Web Ninja

Postby C-Drive » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:17 am

Timberwolf wrote:
Old Baby wrote:

People not knowing how to drive could be its own thread.

Ask and ye shall receive.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2510

Doesn't really need to be it's own thread.
FPWR Save Conversion Kit v1.3 (2016-09-06)
Use this toolkit to easily convert .max and .psu files into the PlayStation Network (PlayStation 3) format, convert saves between regions, or load .max and .psu files into .ps2 files quickly - and more!

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Postby Old Baby » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Being single sucks.

Being in a relationship sucks.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:31 am

Getting out three hours early on a day shift only to find out the company made a mistake and now you have to come in on a night shift on your day off to make up those three hours. Yay.

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:00 am

Why has IGN become a site about speed runs, Fortnight, and unboxing shit?

Dawnbr3ak3r
ControlFrenzy

Postby Dawnbr3ak3r » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:01 am

BakFu888 wrote:Why has IGN become a site about speed runs, Fortnight, and unboxing shit?

As with most media review companies, they're a joke.

Literally nothing they say means anything to me anymore. They get paid to post arbitrary numbers for their reviews.
The_PR_Dragon wrote:Dragons, Emus, and Wolves are all hearing impaired. Sounds about right.

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:22 pm

Dawnbr3ak3r wrote:As with most media review companies, they're a joke.

Literally nothing they say means anything to me anymore. They get paid to post arbitrary numbers for their reviews.

Yeah, that has sadly become the trend over the past five/ten years. I check IGN from time to time just out of habit, but now I make a bet with myself as to how many speed run/fortnight/unboxing stories I will see there. :)

Another video game related beef I have...

Who the f%&k wants to see some shithead's live feed picture superimposed onto the corner of a screen while he/she plays a game? How did this awful, narcissistic practice become so commonplace? Why do people support such self obsessed behaviour, and why on earth would anyone even think to start this practice in the first place? Are privacy, being anonymous, and reasonable modesty dinosaurs these days?

Just curious. :)

Dawnbr3ak3r
ControlFrenzy

Postby Dawnbr3ak3r » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:41 pm

BakFu888 wrote:Another video game related beef I have...

Who the f%&k wants to see some shithead's live feed picture superimposed onto the corner of a screen while he/she plays a game? How did this awful, narcissistic practice become so commonplace? Why do people support such self obsessed behaviour, and why on earth would anyone even think to start this practice in the first place? Are privacy, being anonymous, and reasonable modesty dinosaurs these days?

Just curious. :)

As someone who's used Twitch for quite some time now, there's several reasons:

Socialization, entertainment, job opportunities, networking, among others.

Some broadcasters use Twitch as a means of socialization. I know I do. I put in the bare minimum amount of effort because Fire Pro is a niche game in a niche genre created by a niche development team. It's highly unlikely that it'll ever become super popular (maybe it will, who knows?). I can tell you that I'd be pretty frickin' miserable if I didn't have the people to talk to who show up to my streams on a regular basis. I stream because I enjoy it. If I'm not enjoying it, I stop, and I have before.

Those people who watch my streams, watch because they find entertainment from them. All I'm doing is simming matches. Is it because I use their edits if they interact with me? Perhaps. Is it because they enjoy my company and I enjoy their's? Perhaps. Is it because they enjoy Fire Pro; and by extension wrestling and they want to see something that isn't the "real thing"? Perhaps.

There's plenty of reasons that a viewer will tune into any particular streamer's broadcast(s). I follow people for specific reasons. Recently, I've followed a handful of Darkest Dungeon streamers because I'm new to the game and their knowledge and tips may help me understand how the game works. People can share strategies. People can theorycraft ideas that may or may not work. That's part of the fun. There's discussion. There's interaction. There's socialization.

I know plenty of broadcasters who've gone from literally no one watching to having hundreds of thousands of supporters because those supporters find that person entertaining or friendly. These broadcasters are sometimes polite enough to befriend others, meanwhile some are doing it purely for fame or monetary reasons. I consider some of them friends because I talk to them one-on-one on a daily basis.

One of my friends that I've met through Twitch goes by the username "Mally". I've known him for a good three years now and I know him well enough to the point that I can confide in him if I wanted or needed to. I even went so far as to make him into an edit on Fire Pro World. He's one of my favorite edits as a result of our friendship. He's also a very pretty man, and I tease him about it all the time. We laugh. We have fun. We have a good time. We both have our bad days, and it's okay. I wouldn't have ever met him if it wasn't for Twitch.

That's something I'll always cherish because not everyone has friends or can socialize "offline" - I don't have hardly any friends to socialize with offline or "in the real world" and the internet is my outlet for socialization. I'd rather spend time with a group of friends on Twitch or Discord, than spend time alone with absolutely no one to talk to. I need the bare minimum of social interaction to exist. If I didn't have that, well, I don't if I'd still be here, in all honesty.

Most older people don't really understand that, in this day and age, technology is a tool meant to be used for the betterment of humanity. I choose to spend my time with other people online; People that I only know by their username. That's fine. I'm not going to judge anyone for that. Most of my hobbies require that I have an Internet connection. I play games, I mod them, I learn how they work, among other things. I'm going off on a tangent, so I'll get back on course here.

Some people struggle with day to day activities. Some people suffer with mental illnesses that make working a "regular" job difficult. I know some broadcasters that wanted to make Twitch streaming their full-time job because they shut down in front of a mass of people. On Twitch, you aren't necessarily talking to a hundred people. You could pretend that it's just you and that webcam showing your face. That's actually pretty effective.

The people that show their faces on camera and use their voice on stream are a whole lot more confident than I am. What I do doesn't require me to do those things. Granted, some people use their looks to get ahead in life, and I may not necessarily agree with it, I don't really blame them. Camgirls are the worst, but I digress - It's their body, they can do what they want with it. I don't use Twitch as a dating site. I don't use it to look for a hookup. There's apps for that.

To loosely paraphrase Max Landis: We need social interaction. We need entertainment or else we'll be bored and our brains will turn into stew. Online communities allow for people all over the world, from all walks of life, to come together and enjoy whatever it is that they enjoy and to discuss their experiences with it. Some experiences are good, some are bad, but that's life.

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:14 am

Dawnbr3ak3r wrote:The people that show their faces on camera and use their voice on stream are a whole lot more confident than I am. What I do doesn't require me to do those things. Granted, some people use their looks to get ahead in life, and I may not necessarily agree with it, I don't really blame them. Camgirls are the worst, but I digress - It's their body, they can do what they want with it. I don't use Twitch as a dating site. I don't use it to look for a hookup. There's apps for that.

The ones I see are the annoying ones who are there presenting themselves as PERSONALITIES rather than making the focus the game itself. I like watching the feeds of FPW linked here, and there's never someone sitting in the corner of the screen being a goofball. I just can't figure out why a person would think that people out in the intrawebs would want to see a live feed of a stranger act a fool while playing a game. Obviously there is a market for such things, and I'm obviously not the target audience. I use tutorials for some games, and it's getting harder to find youtube videos without some person plugging their channel telling you to subscribe and all that shit, which is a bummer.

Your explanation is very complete, thank you for taking the time to compose it. I accept that popular media seems to embrace the celebration of disembodied faces floating in the bottom corner of a screen talking as they play a game and that there's an appetite for it, but there's no requirement for me to celebrate it. I'm glad the people that post FPW streams usually just make it about the game itself, which I know everyone here can agree stands well enough on its own! :)

Dawnbr3ak3r wrote:To loosely paraphrase Max Landis: We need social interaction. We need entertainment or else we'll be bored and our brains will turn into stew. Online communities allow for people all over the world, from all walks of life, to come together and enjoy whatever it is that they enjoy and to discuss their experiences with it. Some experiences are good, some are bad, but that's life.

Very true. Communication through online communities is amazing, I've communicated with people from all over the world, everyone is closer, and it makes people from different places more than populace from a random place on a map, it personalizes things. I guess narcissism has always confused me and seeing the extents to which people will take it just saddens me a bit, but it will continue, and I have the choice not to consume or celebrate it.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:30 am

I'm admittedly very new to twitch and have only watched one stream (TheDenizen's show last weekend).

I liked how he did it. It was like the old mibbit chat but so, so, sooooo much smoother.

I've only seen YouTube videos of people who post their faces everywhere and while I'm not necessarily a fan of it, I wouldn't deny people the right to do that. I guess I'm so used to communicating with people blindly that I don't see the need to do so, especially when others have done without for years. To each their own though.
ImageImage

C-Drive
Web Ninja

Postby C-Drive » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:37 am

El Marsh wrote:I liked how he did it. It was like the old mibbit chat but so, so, sooooo much smoother.

It is better. Verified users (which we tried once, but oh god, people hated it) is the main reason. One day, we'll remove the actual "Arena". No one has used it in months because of the fact that Twitch does the same thing, but better. I technically no longer support it. I don't get people asking to be "added to the Arena" now, I get people asking that their Twitch page be added to the notification system. It's so much better for me to have one less thing to have to work with.
FPWR Save Conversion Kit v1.3 (2016-09-06)
Use this toolkit to easily convert .max and .psu files into the PlayStation Network (PlayStation 3) format, convert saves between regions, or load .max and .psu files into .ps2 files quickly - and more!

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Postby Old Baby » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:21 pm

My amazing life-changing too-good-to-be-true relationship that I've posted about on and off turned out to be too good to be true. I ended up calling 911 on her last night as she punched in a window trying to get into my house. She cut herself really bad and texted me this morning telling me that she ripped some tendons. I just remember her standing there on the other side of a smashed window at 1 AM trying to hold a conversation with me with blood all over her. It was like a scene out of The Shining. Prior to this she had run around the house trying to find an entry point and even used a ladder to try to get in through one of the windows and repeatedly tried to kick in my door.

She showed signs of being a bit psycho but we had so many good times and she was so awesome and generous in so many ways that I chose not to see them. I just hung on to hope that everything could work itself out, but now I'm being blamed for destroying her life and throwing her away like garbage just because I asked to take things slow. It's apparently my fault that she tore her arm up while punching through my window.

Unfortunately I don't really see any good way that this relationship could have ended. It's not like there was ever a safe jumping off point. What I should have done is taken things slow instead of jumping in with both feet. Don't do that. Don't be like Old Baby.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:17 pm

I'm sorry that it ended so catastrophically Old Baby. I am glad that you're safe and hope she gets all the help she needs going forward.

I actually came with my own "bitch" today.

I am sick to death of the SJW/Anti-SJW nonsense that has completely overtaken gaming discussion in many, many places. I don't really give a fuck about either side's opinion, I just want to talk about games. Kind of hard to do when every attempt to do so devolves into that shit.
ImageImage

senator
Community Member

Postby senator » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:27 pm

El Marsh wrote:I'm sorry that it ended so catastrophically Old Baby. I am glad that you're safe and hope she gets all the help she needs going forward.

I actually came with my own "bitch" today.

I am sick to death of the SJW/Anti-SJW nonsense that has completely overtaken gaming discussion in many, many places. I don't really give a fuck about either side's opinion, I just want to talk about games. Kind of hard to do when every attempt to do so devolves into that shit.

I hear you with that one. Ironically, I like to have the ability to separate politics from many of my other interests.

We're all healthier when people of varying ideologies can get together and find commonalities, and trying to shoehorn partisan politics into everything just makes society that much more combative and balkanized. I don't want to read some simplistic, ad hominim flame war over a wrestler's political standing when I read wrestling news. I don't want to read about cultural wars when I look for a game review.

There COULD be places for that sort of thing, but those should be set aside and focused towards a politicalized view of cultural items, rather than taking something primarily intended to provide entertainment discussion and making it into a partisan battlefield or a platform for the writer's polarized opinions.