Deaths of those Well Known

BakFu888
Community Member

Re: Deaths of those Well Known

Postby BakFu888 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:26 am

Zealot wrote:R. Lee Ermey, best known for playing Gunnery Sgt. Hartman in Full Metal Jacket and having one of the best ad-libbed scenes in all of cinema, passed away today at 74.

At ease, soldier. :(

Bummer, his performance in Full Metal Jacket is one of my all time favourites by any actor in anything. I don't know if a week goes by where one line or another from his performance doesn't enter my mind. Why, just today I was introduced to a new service engineer from a vendor my company uses named Lawrence. I had a nice laugh after exchanging pleasantries with Lawrence, because if you're a fan of Sgt. Hartman's you'll know what he thinks about the name Lawrence. :D Hopefully Mr. Ermey will be proudly enjoying a dump up in heaven in that sanitary and squared away head that he talked about.

As you were, Sgt. :(

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:35 am

Nth wrote:
Old Baby wrote:Harry Anderson dammit

Aw damn, Night Court is still one of my favorite shows ever.

Yeah, I don't know how anyone couldn't love that show or Judge Harry Stone.

Funny enough, he played similar laid back characters in Cheers (as recurring patron "Harry the Hat," predating his star turn on Night Court) and in the family sitcom Dave. If he wasn't at least a little like that IRL, he was damn good at playing it on TV.

And the magic! How could you not like the magic tricks?

Man, that dude was cool!
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:29 pm

El Marsh wrote:Also, film director Milos Forman passed away a couple of days ago. If you're not familiar with his name, you're probably at least familiar with his two masterpieces: "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and "Amadeus."

Yeah I saw that as well. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is arguably my favorite film of all time. I have been wanting to see Amadeus for a while and this may expedite the process.
ImageImage ImageImage

TigerSword
Owner and Founder

Postby TigerSword » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:11 pm

Amadeus is fantastic. Not at all historically accurate, but super entertaining.

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Postby Old Baby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:18 pm

I liked Amadeus but didn't love it. F. Murray Abraham was great but Tom Hulce was just weird. Part of it was the director's (RIP) choice to have Hulce play the role with an American accent.

TigerSword
Owner and Founder

Postby TigerSword » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:19 am

Old Baby wrote:I liked Amadeus but didn't love it. F. Murray Abraham was great but Tom Hulce was just weird. Part of it was the director's (RIP) choice to have Hulce play the role with an American accent.

I personally always find it weird when a movie takes place in a non English speaking country, but the characters all speak accented English. When that happens, (like speaking with a German accent in a movie set in Germany) it takes me out of the experience a bit, as I feel like they should be speaking German but we hear it in English since the movie is in English, so there shouldn't be an accent.

Also, fun fact, the modern New England American accent is actually a lot closer to how the British spoke historically than the modern British accent.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:44 pm

RIP Avicii

he's one of few electronic DJs whose work I liked

only 28 years old
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:08 pm

Damn. 28 is too young. RIP.
ImageImage ImageImage

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:58 pm

Verne Troyer at 49.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:07 pm

Yeah, that sucks. Dude seemed really chill out of character and imo, he was one of very few consistently great things about the Austin Powers movies. It's difficult to avoid typecasting when you're just shy of 3 feet tall but I think once the fame of Austin Powers passed, he made more of a name just being himself, "warts and all," and I think that's pretty great imo.
ImageImage

desertpunk
Lord of the Under Realms

Postby desertpunk » Thu May 31, 2018 2:35 am

Bruce J Mitchell of MST3K fame passed away April 28th.
He's really only known for his role of Zap Rowsdower from the Final Sacrifice, although he did have some 80's TV work.

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:12 pm

Wow, Anthony Bourdain today. :|