TV

Pyrodean
Community Member

Re: TV

Postby Pyrodean » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:41 pm

Finally got around to watching Stranger Things 2. Another great season.

Spoiler: show
I knew it was coming, but I was sad when Sean Astin's character got killed. I even got a little mad at the end when they were teasing Hopper and Wynona Rider's character getting together. I was like, "Really?! You killed off Mikey so you could get these two together? :angrymob: " lol. But he was just too nice of a guy. I knew he was either going to die or turn out to be a bad guy or something.

I hope Will gets to be one gang in season 3 instead of a victim again. Also I find myself liking the storylines with the kids more than the teenagers. I felt that way in season one but it was reaffirmed for me in season two.

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:28 am

Hmm, anyone here catch a little show based on a graphic novel of the same title called Happy? It's very odd so far, feels a bit like Watchmen meets Preacher meets Bad Santa. For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying it so far and I think it's worth checking out if you're into dark comedy with over the top, cartoonish violence. I'm just finishing up the most recent (fifth) episode and I like what's been delivered! :)

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:50 am

That reminds me that I really need to catch the second season of Preacher :oops:

I caught the first and LOVED it but the second one eluded me and my DVR did not pick up the slack.

(Way behind on Vikings too)

Happy sounds very interesting based on your recommendation 8-)

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:04 am

orochigeese wrote:That reminds me that I really need to catch the second season of Preacher :oops:

It was really good, quite a different direction from season one, but it fills out the characters' backstories and answers some of the questions that were unanswered after season one. Odd as shit and with a guest appearance by one of history's biggest heels, just more of the same we came to appreciate about season one. :)

Yeah, Vikings, I caught the first three seasons, and somehow missed all of them since. I really like the series, just got busy and lost the series in the shuffle... Maybe they'll do a marathon on the History channel again. :(

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:39 am

BakFu888 wrote:
orochigeese wrote:That reminds me that I really need to catch the second season of Preacher :oops:

It was really good, quite a different direction from season one, but it fills out the characters' backstories and answers some of the questions that were unanswered after season one. Odd as shit and with a guest appearance by one of history's biggest heels, just more of the same we came to appreciate about season one. :)

Glad you enjoyed it! I loved the entire first season (especially the finale) but then didn't realize Season 2 started and for some reason had massive issues trying to DVR it. I'm sure I'll be able to find it though.

BakFu888 wrote:Yeah, Vikings, I caught the first three seasons, and somehow missed all of them since. I really like the series, just got busy and lost the series in the shuffle... Maybe they'll do a marathon on the History channel again. :(

It's way too easy to get lost in the shuffle with that show. I've managed to be behind two seasons at a time then somehow caught up in like a weekend :lol: By now, I think a lot of the characters are different.

sonny615
First FPCPP Champion

Postby sonny615 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:33 pm

Pyrodean wrote:Finally got around to watching Stranger Things 2. Another great season.

It is definitely on my to watch list.
I am currently a little stretched as far as series go:

1. Finishing Deadwood season 3. A very solid 'periodic'\historic series. Nice characters and good, fun moments.
Season 3 had one of the best fight scenes I've ever seen in any show or movie. Ian McShane is pretty good too.

2. Started latest Black Mirror. Only watched one episode on a plane. Good thing the episodes are unrelated so I can watch them like separate movies.
I really like the concept. Two actors from Fargo in the 1st episode!

3. Fargo, season 2. I'm near the end now. Season 1 was superb. Season two is not as good but still very good.

4. Vikings, season 5. It is very rare that I watch episodes as soon as they are shown in the US but it was hard to resist in this case.
I don't remember myself so excited about an episode as I was about the battle in episode 8. Good stuff.

Lagertha is hot.

5. Ballers, season 3. Liked it more than I was supposed to. Stupid fun. I honestly think the Rock plays a nice role and it really fits him. I did kind of get burn out mid season 3 because I literally watched seasons 1 and 2 in about two weeks time.

BTW, do they show Fauda in the States? It's a very good Israeli series that I am pretty sure was sold to Netflix or one of the larger networks.
Watch it if you have the chance. It deals with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and focuses on Israeli 'snatch squad'\special forces. While not 100% objective, it does show some situations where not everything is black and white and it's not always easy to watch. It also has a lot of nuisances that non locals can easily miss but I'd still recommend it.
One of the better shows to come out of Israel in recent years.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:20 pm

Binge watched American Horror Story Roanoke in one afternoon. Now I am ready to catch up on Vikings.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:10 am

"Cobra Kai"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLtYmhj-0Kg

That is all.

:explode:

Captain Howdy and I may have to resume work on our 10 year old "Karate Kid" edit pack :lol:

Pyrodean
Community Member

Postby Pyrodean » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:37 pm

orochigeese wrote:"Cobra Kai"

That is all.

Captain Howdy and I may have to resume work on our 10 year old "Karate Kid" edit pack :lol:

:markout:

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:00 pm

Ash vs Evil Dead season 3 starts this week https://youtu.be/YC0dMhO2x3I

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:56 am

Wow, it's up to Season 3 already?

I started watching Season 1 when it debuted but then got distracted and didn't catch up. Really liked it too. Gotta get back into that and Vikings as well. Better Call Saul isn't returning until the Fall either so, once Supernatural finishes its (really dynamic for a change) season, I gots me some big time to watch other stuff.

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:17 pm

Atlanta.

Watch it.

There are marathons on up here in the frozen north leading up to season 2, I love this series. Just watched the episode titled "B.A.N." again (my favourite, I've seen it at least five times already since it aired originally), some very quotable and interesting, conversation catalyst stuff.

I guess it's not a series for everyone, but they pack TONS into a half hour slot, it makes you realize how much superfluous shit there is in most hour long shows. There are great characters, it's funny as hell, but kind of a sad commentary as well. It's an interesting show, and a must watch for Donald Glover fans! :)

Pyrodean
Community Member

Postby Pyrodean » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:45 pm

I've never watched it although I work with a guy who is a regular extra on the show.

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:00 am

Pyrodean wrote:I've never watched it although I work with a guy who is a regular extra on the show.

Cool! He's part of something interesting!

I'd love to recommend it to everyone, but I'm not sure it would be everyone's cup o' tea so to speak. I love it, there's a lot of content there, and the story isn't your typical, soullessly churned out hot dog meat paste, it's a little different. I love that the series exists, it gives me hope that the only things our overlords at TV headquarters want us to see is reality TV and shows about empty husks riding undeserved waves of fame just for releasing sex tapes or being the children of some has-been celebrity from the past.

captain howdy
Community Member

Postby captain howdy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:52 pm

orochigeese wrote:"Cobra Kai"

That is all.

AHAHAHA!! 8-)

I've been preparing my Demolition Man edits, I have all those we discussed ported over, but not updated! I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them but they still exist :D

I kinda like that we had our own personal Chinese Democracy :lol:

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:46 am

A new "Cobra Kai" trailer!

https://youtu.be/d2_2oCRPrjM

The "Nah, I don't give a shit" about window washing is absolutely brilliant given Miyagi's antics :lol:

captain howdy wrote:AHAHAHA!! 8-)

I've been preparing my Demolition Man edits, I have all those we discussed ported over, but not updated! I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them but they still exist :D

I kinda like that we had our own personal Chinese Democracy :lol:

LOL our movie pack makes Valve look generous and giving with Half Life: Ep 3 :lol:

captain howdy
Community Member

Postby captain howdy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:56 pm

orochigeese wrote:A new "Cobra Kai" trailer!

https://youtu.be/d2_2oCRPrjM

The "Nah, I don't give a shit" about window washing is absolutely brilliant given Miyagi's antics :lol:

I love that new trailer, I can't wait for Cobra Kai to start.

orochigeese wrote:
LOL our movie pack makes Valve look generous and giving with Half Life: Ep 3 :lol:

We are getting into Demon Souls 2 territory :upsidedownlol:

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:28 pm

captain howdy wrote:I love that new trailer, I can't wait for Cobra Kai to start.

Me too, I'm really excited for this new series. It looks awesome and seems far closer to the original Karate Kid universe AND vibe than the past two movies (only one which was loosely related due to having Mr. Miyagi).

captain howdy wrote: :cry: We are getting into Demon Souls 2 territory :upsidedownlol:

We're getting into "Monkey Island 3 by original team" territory :lol:

In other TV news, I finished Stranger Things Season 2 last night (after plowing through the last 4 episodes :lol: ) This is such a great series. I think I liked this season even better than the first one too. Excellent character development, managing of smaller individual/pair arcs with the larger story plot, and FEELING. I honestly think the biggest "80's throwback aspect" to this series isn't the content influences but the ability to suspend disbelief due to the excellent acting of the characters. They are treating the material seriously and it makes the whole thing feel real: especially the more down to earth relationship aspects and character dynamics. I'm sad I blew through this in about a week but I honestly couldn't stop myself :lol:

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:51 am

Trailer 3 for Karate Kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIaVdlcDRA0&feature=youtu.be

Marked out at the skeleton costume :markout:

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:15 pm

Just finished all 148 episodes of the Hunter x Hunter series. Fantastic, definitely going in my all time favorites list and I still have the two movies to watch now. Tons of characters and epic duels, this is one of those series you don't want to end.

Also started Knightfall. Was hoping it would have the same grittiness as its Vikings cousin series, but it doesn't. Only a couple episodes in, but it's falling into very TV trope territory and by the book characters. Would be more interesting if they just kept it relatively historically accurate. Still have my hopes up for The Black Company series for my sword and armor TV fix while Game of Thrones finishes up filming.

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Postby Old Baby » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:20 pm

Pyrodean wrote:Finally got around to watching Stranger Things 2. Another great season.

I knew it was coming, but I was sad when Sean Astin's character got killed. I even got a little mad at the end when they were teasing Hopper and Wynona Rider's character getting together. I was like, "Really?! You killed off Mikey so you could get these two together? :angrymob: " lol. But he was just too nice of a guy. I knew he was either going to die or turn out to be a bad guy or something.

I hope Will gets to be one gang in season 3 instead of a victim again. Also I find myself liking the storylines with the kids more than the teenagers. I felt that way in season one but it was reaffirmed for me in season two.

I was really disappointed in Season 2. It just didn't have any of the same charm as Season 1 to me.

Completely agree about Sean Astin. He was a great addition to the show and it just really sucked seeing him get tossed aside. The kids are definitely better than the teenagers, but by season 3 the kids are all going to be teenagers so we'll see how well that turns out. The worst part of season 2 for me was probably how they used Eleven. I just didn't like her much and the romance angle with Mike seemed weird and forced. And what the hell was up with that one episode where she is part of that street gang? Season 2 converted me from enthusiastic megafan to barely curious about season 3.

Pyrodean
Community Member

Postby Pyrodean » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:51 pm

Old Baby wrote:

I was really disappointed in Season 2. It just didn't have any of the same charm as Season 1 to me.

Completely agree about Sean Astin. He was a great addition to the show and it just really sucked seeing him get tossed aside. The kids are definitely better than the teenagers, but by season 3 the kids are all going to be teenagers so we'll see how well that turns out. The worst part of season 2 for me was probably how they used Eleven. I just didn't like her much and the romance angle with Mike seemed weird and forced. And what the hell was up with that one episode where she is part of that street gang? Season 2 converted me from enthusiastic megafan to barely curious about season 3.

Yeah the whole, Eleven goes into the city and joins a gang arc was a bit out of place. I think it was setting up for more super powered lab kids in season 3 possibly. As for Astin, the reason I was thinking that he might have turned out to be a bad guy was he was the one who told Will to face his fears, which in turn lead to him getting possessed by the monster. But now I see it was a reason for his character to make up for by sacrificing himself to get everyone else out of the building. Still didn't like though lol.

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:45 am

McMafia has been pretty interesting so far, y'all might want to check it out. Pretty slick, lots of high roller, multinational moving and shaking, quick transitions from dialogue to stark, brutal violence. I like the series so far, and it feels like something a bit different from the typical fare these days.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Mon May 21, 2018 4:11 am

I've only watched the first two (free) episodes of Cobra Kai on Youtube so far but they are incredible. Anyone who was a Karate Kid fan (particularly 1-3) should immediately check this out.

I honestly can't remember anything like this before: a series 30 years after a few movies that just completely understands the charm of the movies and brings it to the modern day era.

Best two episodes of ANYTHING I've watched in years (edging out the best of Supernatural this past season as well as Stranger Things Season 2), but I'm also kind of a huge Karate Kid fan and love how they brought this back :D