TV

desertpunk
Lord of the Under Realms

Re: TV

Postby desertpunk » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:44 am

Technically a DVD but anyway I just want to share my joy of buying the complete series of Rocko's Modern life for 18 bucks :)

:markout: Time to binge watch the shit out of this box set lol

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:02 am

Pyrodean wrote:Speaking of Supernatural. I've been watching it for the first time the last few weeks. Just started season four. I don't know how I managed to miss out on this show for this long. I've always known about it but passed it over because I've never been a big fan of the CW/WB. But I really wish I'd have started watching it when it first started. It would have filled a huge void that was left by the X-Files for me back then lol.

:markout:

I love this show. It became one of my favorites ever over the past few years. Season 4 (and 5) is one of my favorite seasons of the series so I think you're in for some good times. The first two episodes of the show I watched that made me need to watch more were "Mystery Spot" and the season premiere of Season 4 8-)

I've enjoyed this season so far 8-)

desertpunk wrote:Technically a DVD but anyway I just want to share my joy of buying the complete series of Rocko's Modern life for 18 bucks :)

:markout: Time to binge watch the shit out of this box set lol

Nice!! :D

Such a watchable show that predicted more than the creators would likely be comfortable being right about. Every time I see a "Black Friday" scene, I think of the mall in Rocko's world :lol:

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:39 am

fullMETAL wrote:I totally understand where that's coming from -- time-travel shows generally tend towards a tropey-as-fuck formula because it's hard to come to the decision to just write a version where they INTENTIONALLY change the past instead of ACCIDENTALLY while trying to preserve it.

It's hard not to think of the main characters as 1-dimensional, given that they basically only play 2 roles each:
Soldier guy who's not dumb
Scientist guy who's not that bad in a fight
Historian chick who has some kind of connection with the bad guy
Bad guy who MIGHT have deeper motivations than just "messing up" history

I like the actors, and they do their best to give their characters some depth, but it doesn't feel like the show's plot is actually making real forward progress YET. It's only a few episodes in though, so hopefully by episode 7 or so they'll actually go beyond the current "follow Flynn to the past, foil his plot but some small-but-significant detail changes the present, come back to the present, sadly stay one step behind Flynn, wait for next time he travels, rinse and repeat" thing.

I agree, have watched 5 episodes so far, mainly I just watch when there is nothin on.......

fullMETAL
Belt-Designing Crayonicorn

Postby fullMETAL » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:44 pm

It almost feels like my wish has been sort of granted in the last couple of episodes now because now we're getting to the "deeper" stuff, like the company (Rittenhouse) behind the time-travel scientist people having darker ulterior motives, Scientist Guy being blackmailed by them to spy on the group, Soldier Guy getting more depth besides "my wife is dead and I want to save her by changing history" backstory, Historian Chick wanting to restore her sister to the timeline, Bad Guy showing more good-guy tendencies (sort of), stuff like that.

I'll be honest, my initial reasons for watching the show were Matt Lanter (Disaster Movie), Malcolm Barrett (Better Off Ted), Goran Visnjic (stuff--I never watched ER), and the fact that it's a time-travel show.
Escargot in 5 minutes or your dignity back!

Pyrodean
Community Member

Postby Pyrodean » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:05 pm

orochigeese wrote:
Pyrodean wrote:Speaking of Supernatural. I've been watching it for the first time the last few weeks. Just started season four. I don't know how I managed to miss out on this show for this long. I've always known about it but passed it over because I've never been a big fan of the CW/WB. But I really wish I'd have started watching it when it first started. It would have filled a huge void that was left by the X-Files for me back then lol.

:markout:

I love this show. It became one of my favorites ever over the past few years. Season 4 (and 5) is one of my favorite seasons of the series so I think you're in for some good times. The first two episodes of the show I watched that made me need to watch more were "Mystery Spot" and the season premiere of Season 4 8-)

I've enjoyed this season so far 8-)

Both great episodes. I can't wait for the Trickster to get his comeupance lol.

Are there any Dark Matter fans here? I've had this show on my Netflix list for a while but never started it until last week. I just wanted to take a little break from other shows for a bit but I got hooked and burned through both seasons really fast and now stuck waiting on season three in 2017 lol.

fullMETAL

Postby fullMETAL » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:57 pm

I'm liking how Legends Of Tomorrow is going right now, and Sara Lance (White Canary) is fast becoming one of my favorite live-action superheroes--she's my favorite on the show right now, though before he got written off (for now), Leonard Snart (Captain Cold) was also my favorite.

But that's just because I love seeing Wentworth Miller and his let's-face-it-he-sounds-like-Liquid-Snake drawing-out of words. :D

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:09 pm

I don't know if it qualifies as "TV" but I actually thought that WWE Storytellers thing last night was pretty amusing.
It's sort of like that old Comedy Central show "Shorties Watchin Shorties" that featured comedians telling a story that was being animated as it was being delivered. While the stories themselves weren't really anything we haven't heard before from wrestlers, the visual gags in the animation really "made" the bits. It was a bit rough in terms of transition (something that ALL WWE Network originals suffer from) but ultimately, it was an amusing 12 minutes. Not sure how many of these they'll do but I could see myself watching more.
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

SpiderFab4
Community Member

Postby SpiderFab4 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:30 pm

I liked Shorties Watching Shorties so maybe I'll check it out.
Get your Hanes on, lace up your Nikes, grab your Wheaties and your Gatorade and we'll pick up a Big Mac on the way to the ball park.

fullMETAL

Postby fullMETAL » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:19 am

My favorite one was when Dane Cook was talking about coming home late with stripper glitter all over him, trying not to wake his girlfriend.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:24 pm

Supernatural was awesome last week and then last night up until the ending which just felt really weird.

Spoiler: show
They've done the "law enforcement catches the boys" story before with increasingly higher stakes throughout the show. But it just kind of bores me whenever they do it, and then repeat it. The story of Lucifer's child was 10000% more interesting (although a little rushed. At least one more episode for build between last week and last night would have been ideal) then the whole Gitmo thing they are going for. I mean, Sam was in the cage with Lucifer TWICE (and once within the last year), so this is just kind of stupid to put him here now.

I get that they are doing it to contain and distract them and Cass so that Lucifer's child can grow (probably not unlike Amara...) but it was just an odd plot device to use here. They seem to have something planned with that head of Secret Service guy though. Perhaps he's a demon or is actually Lucifer now. So I'll try to keep an open mind. But watching them get imprisoned made an otherwise innovative and fresh episode feel a little stale at the end. Other than that, I really enjoyed the last two episodes.

I wonder who gets out of holding facilities first, Sam and Dean or Rick Sanchez :lol:

Oooo-wee did you hear that Lucifer was having a baby? Ooo-wee! :upsidedownlol:

Also loved that Arthur Ketch is pretty much Arthur Wingate in arrogance and personality :lol:

The Thanksgiving Simpsons marathon has gone well beyond the relevant episodes at this point but I absolutely loved re-watching all the golden age episodes. Every few years I watch them, I enjoy them even more and am even more impressed at what they did in the mid 90's. So ahead of it's time for humor and insight. They got the intricacies of their characters so well before they abandoned caring for an "anything can happen" mentality.

Did anyone watch that "Mr. Neighbor" show last weekend on Adult Swim? It was pretty funny :mrgreen:

CF_Dawnbr3ak3r
Community Member

Postby CF_Dawnbr3ak3r » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:32 am

I'm late, but I've just recently started watching Vikings. I got the first 3 seasons on DVD as a gift last Christmas and never took the opportunity to properly get into it. I got the first half of Season 4 on DVD for Christmas this year, so I should probably take advantage of that and get through what I haven't seen. It's much easier for me to watch since I also set up dual monitors on the new desk I put together. It's so nice being able to watch movies, TV shows, etc, while playing more slow paced games that don't require as much attention as other games might.

I've gotten through the first 7 or episodes so far. It's not too bad. I'm finding the raiding segments to be the most interesting. The English monk that is spared early on intrigues me, mostly because he's so different and alien from everyone else, but despite his lack of knowledge of their customs, I do like that he's been spared. I'm a bit worried the series may turn into a Game of Thrones killing spree with the number of characters that have been killed off early on - trying not to be too spoiler-y in case people haven't seen it, like me, despite the show being on for a few years now.

I don't really have a favorite character, or yet, anyways. They're all unique in their own way, and I like that from such a wide cast of characters.
The_PR_Dragon wrote:Dragons, Emus, and Wolves are all hearing impaired. Sounds about right.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:43 am

I still have to pick up the released seasons of Vikings, I usually wait for sales on amazon to pick up sets. I just bought the Babylon 5 boxset because it was on sale and I had never seen it before.

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:51 am

ControlFrenzy wrote:I'm late, but I've just recently started watching Vikings. I got the first 3 seasons on DVD as a gift last Christmas and never took the opportunity to properly get into it. I got the first half of Season 4 on DVD for Christmas this year, so I should probably take advantage of that and get through what I haven't seen. It's much easier for me to watch since I also set up dual monitors on the new desk I put together. It's so nice being able to watch movies, TV shows, etc, while playing more slow paced games that don't require as much attention as other games might.

I've gotten through the first 7 or episodes so far. It's not too bad. I'm finding the raiding segments to be the most interesting. The English monk that is spared early on intrigues me, mostly because he's so different and alien from everyone else, but despite his lack of knowledge of their customs, I do like that he's been spared. I'm a bit worried the series may turn into a Game of Thrones killing spree with the number of characters that have been killed off early on - trying not to be too spoiler-y in case people haven't seen it, like me, despite the show being on for a few years now.

I don't really have a favorite character, or yet, anyways. They're all unique in their own way, and I like that from such a wide cast of characters.

Your in for a fun ride, great show....
Still shocked over the latest episode, wont discuss it here though.....

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:54 am

Nth wrote: I just bought the Babylon 5 boxset because it was on sale and I had never seen it before.

Another great show, just about to rewatch the whole series.... 8-)

forties2002
Community Member

Postby forties2002 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:34 pm

forties2002 wrote:
Old Baby wrote:Anyone watching The Colony?

I just finished episode 3 last night. It hasn't really hooked me like Walking Dead or Lost did, but I'm intrigued enough to keep watching.

I was really into The Flash season 1 but for some reason I haven't had the urge to pick up season 2. Superhero burnout maybe.

Is that the show that has Sawyer from "Lost" and Rick's wife from "TWD"?

Started watching this over the Christmas/New Years break. Not bad so far, i'm on episode 5 or 6. I will keep watching. I know the new season starts on January 12th, is it in its 3rd season?
Whoop that trick

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:31 am

Adult Swim is regularly showing Space Ghost: Coast to Coast again so we should all rejoice :D

ControlFrenzy wrote:The English monk that is spared early on intrigues me, mostly because he's so different and alien from everyone else, but despite his lack of knowledge of their customs, I do like that he's been spared.

I really liked him too, he's one of my favorite characters.

ControlFrenzy wrote:I don't really have a favorite character, or yet, anyways. They're all unique in their own way, and I like that from such a wide cast of characters.

Agreed. Vikings did an excellent job at building a large group of interesting characters in the first season.

I need to catch up with it eventually, I think I missed the last season if not two :oops:

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:41 am

Halfway through the first season of Stranger Things and it's hitting all the right notes. Holy shit :shock:

Lord Worm
Dominus Haplotaxida

Postby Lord Worm » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:52 am

orochigeese wrote:Halfway through the first season of Stranger Things and it's hitting all the right notes. Holy shit :shock:

Oh yeah. Sooo good.
For anyone who grew up in the eighties/early nineties should find that show somehow comfortingly familiar.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:43 am

Lord Fn Worm wrote: :D Oh yeah. Sooo good.
For anyone who grew up in the eighties/early nineties should find that show somehow comfortingly familiar.

I was reading one article that praised the sense of immersion and escapism that the show had. Perhaps because it's on Netflix and there aren't any advertisements (especially those "bottom of the screen ones") but the show just feels so delightfully self-contained. There is no social media pimping. This is the show, this is the universe that you are supposed to care about and pay attention to, and they aren't giving anything supplemental while the show is going on. I also like how it invites you to buy into it, without any sense of irony, and enjoy it. I appreciate that, entertainment offered up for straight entertainment sake. That IS comfortingly familiar.

I'm on episode 7 now.

Spoiler: show
The two scenes when 11 made contact with the monster were awesome. I want more of that type of thing (the flashback and explanation of how things happened) but I think it's good they did things this way. I heard Season 2 may go more into the overall explanation of what is going on here with the dimensions. It's cool that things are starting slow as the rules of this world are being built. I like thinking about the questions as much as I like them being resolved. Love all the D&D analogies to the shadow world :D

It's hard to pick a favorite character because all of the mains are excellent but I'm going with Hopper for now.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:42 am

I only found out tonight at work the new season of Vikings is well underway. Got some downloading to do when I get home.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:37 pm

Caught up on the first 6 episodes of the new season of Always Sunny in Philadelphia. This show just gets funnier every season.

The Ass Pounder 4000, the Ass Pounder, Never Stop Pumping. Jesus Mac :lol:

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:44 pm

I absolutely loved that episode :D

They have been having an amazing season so far and really hitting gold with their experimental and standard style episodes. I wasn't so into last season (but don't remember it so well) but this has been stand-out so far 8-)

The Ass-Pounder 4000 reminded me of when Mr. Garrison invented his own form of travel in South Park :lol:

fullMETAL

Postby fullMETAL » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:47 pm

You mean...IT? ;)

Anyways, last night was a Tough Mudder special on CW, and while I usually watch obstacle-course shows semi-religiously, I completely tuned out and didn't pay a lick of attention to it.

Meanwhile...HOLY SHIT, SHIELD :O

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:18 pm

Fans of the original "24" should check out 24:Legacy. It's been good so far. I'm excited for next week's episode. It's not the same without Jack Bauer, but still a good series.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:23 am

Picked up the first 5 seasons of American Horror Story on sale on Amazon. I know nothing about the show accept that everyone says it's awesome. So I am going to start that tonight.