Books?

BakFu888
Community Member

Books?

Postby BakFu888 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:23 pm

You know, those dusty old things on your grandparents shelves, the shit you used to have to look through before the intrawebs took over? Those paper filled things that you have to hold open and stare at for hours to get stories to play in your head while you fight to stay awake? Again, I looked around and couldn't find a book thread, and I'm always selfishly asking people what they've read recently in case it might be something I might like. Anyway, I thought I'd start this thread up and see what would happen.

Not unlike food, sometimes you want a gourmet, ten course meal, and sometimes you just want comfort food. I'm in the latter stage right now, and being that it's near Easter AND I'm on evening shifts at work, I just plowed through a book called "Lamb: the gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood pal". Christopher Moore is a pretty amazing writer, I love his style and sense of humour. I had this book given to me by a coworker who knows my sense of humour, loved the story, and surprisingly, is a devout Catholic. I say surprisingly because I could see this title ending up on the book burning pyre pretty quickly as I'm sure it would be deemed blasphemous by a great number of believers all over the world, but, at it's heart, I think it respects the subject matter and takes into account the undeniable fact that if there are higher powers, they definitely have a sense of humour.

If you want a light, quick read with lots of laughs and a reminder of the importance of the need for universal decency and respect for all, this is a good read! :)

Nth
Community Member

Re: Books?

Postby Nth » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:44 pm

I was sure at one point we had a book thread. I read a lot and was sure I was posting about it here somewhere. I usually have at least two novels on the go at any one time as well as listen to audio books on my mp3 player at work.

I have a lot of Warhammer and Warhammer 40k books still to get through as I basically buy them in bulk. Same with the old Shadowrun novel series. Bought at least half of the 40 some series as a bundle on ebay a while ago but have only read a handful so far. Have also been picking up the Starcraft novels recently and am soon going to start I, Mengsk.

Most recently read God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens for the second time. Also Grendel, a retelling of the Beowulf Saga from the perspective of Grendel.

Audio books I finished at work recently were The Disaster Artist, The Gunslinger, The Drawing of the Three (of the Dark Tower series), The Black Company and Shadows Linger (of The Black Company series), Fight Club (I listen to it a couple times a year, it's only a few hours long) and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (the Blade Runner inspiration that I also listen to a couple times a year)

In the actual paper que I have coming up is Ready Player One, because I want to read the book before I see the movie. Also the Metro 2033, 34, 35 trilogy. I've read the first book already.

I also just picked up Battle Royale Remastered. A re-release of Koushun Takami's original book with improved translation and additional content restored that the publisher cut from the original book.

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Postby Old Baby » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:29 pm

Books are things that I would love to be able to get into, but I struggle. They are so big and have all those pages with all those words on them. I look at a book's cover and I just want to dig into it and devour it, but then by page 3 I start flipping through the pages and thinking "how long is this going to take? is it really worth it?" After every chapter I put the bookmark in and check to see how close I am to the end and wonder if I'm ever even going to get there. The book is placed on my headboard where it sits, calling attention to itself, demanding to be read as I try to distract myself with other things. It usually takes a few weeks until the book is covered in a light coating of dust before I can release myself from the obligation of finishing it.

chango
YAY! Go Deathsteaks!

Postby chango » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:18 pm

If you’re into fantasy.... all of Joe Abercrombies books are fucking amazing. Really dark... yet witty

senator
Community Member

Postby senator » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:00 pm

Recently went through the Mars Trilogy of Edgar Rice Burroughs, a ripping good time of a read.

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:56 pm

BakFu888 wrote:I'm in the latter stage right now, and being that it's near Easter AND I'm on evening shifts at work, I just plowed through a book called "Lamb: the gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood pal". Christopher Moore is a pretty amazing writer, I love his style and sense of humour.

Fantastic, funny book. If you like Moore, I also highly recommend "A Dirty Job" about a widower with a young child who ends up becoming the incarnation of Death.
chango wrote:If you’re into fantasy.... all of Joe Abercrombies books are fucking amazing. Really dark... yet witty

I devoured all three books of his First Law series in about a week. Excellent fantasy with a superb cast of characters. Sand dan Glotka is one of my favorite characters in any book I've read.

I need to get back into reading more often.

chango
YAY! Go Deathsteaks!

Postby chango » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:03 pm

Stupid double post. :facepalm:
Last edited by chango on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chango
YAY! Go Deathsteaks!

Postby chango » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:06 pm

chango wrote:
TheDenizen wrote:
chango wrote:If you’re into fantasy.... all of Joe Abercrombies books are fucking amazing. Really dark... yet witty

I devoured all three books of his First Law series in about a week. Excellent fantasy with a superb cast of characters. Sand dan Glotka is one of my favorite characters in any book I've read.

I need to get back into reading more often.

Totally agree on Glotka his character arc is just incredible

Have you read the 3 standalone novels set in the same world? They’re equally as good and really flesh out some of the background characters and events!!

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:16 pm

I have successively read the first three books of the Song of Fire and Ice (I.e. Game of Thrones) series and am halfway through the slog of a fourth book.

The first three books were pretty okay. This "A Feast for Crows" though.....oy
I'm at the point where I'm reading just to get through it. Not even sure that I want to go to the next book at this point, that's how much the intrigue and overall quality has degraded. I'm guessing this is the first one after the TV show started. It's just so much worse than the previous three books.

On another note, I had been reading a rather simple but enjoyable historical fiction series about Genghis Khan and his successors. I successively made it through three of the four books (by Conn Iggulden) before moving onto something else and never going back. I think I'll finish th at fourth book and move onto his Emperor series (set in ancient Rome).

Years of academic literary analysis under my belt and it's this simple swords and conquest stuff that enthralls me! :lol:
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:46 pm

chango wrote:Totally agree on Glotka his character arc is just incredible

Have you read the 3 standalone novels set in the same world? They’re equally as good and really flesh out some of the background characters and events!!

I have not but they are definitely on my radar.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:01 am

Finished Ready Player One. Actually better than I expected, and full of 80's movie references, some of which are explained and some of which aren't, like Wade using the aliases Sam Lowery and Harry Tuttle, a nice inside nod I'm sure one or two people will recognize. Also Blade Runner playing a significant part in the egg hunt was really cool as well. I actually liked it so much I downloaded the audiobook, so I am going to listen to that on my next set of shifts. It's read by Wil Wheaton, who is actually mentioned in the book as well. Will likely pick up the movie when it hits blu ray.

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:33 pm

Nth wrote:Finished Ready Player One. Actually better than I expected, and full of 80's movie references, some of which are explained and some of which aren't, like Wade using the aliases Sam Lowery and Harry Tuttle, a nice inside nod I'm sure one or two people will recognize. Also Blade Runner playing a significant part in the egg hunt was really cool as well. I actually liked it so much I downloaded the audiobook, so I am going to listen to that on my next set of shifts. It's read by Wil Wheaton, who is actually mentioned in the book as well. Will likely pick up the movie when it hits blu ray.

I'll need to check this out. Brazil is my #2 favorite movie of all time.

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:30 am

TheDenizen wrote:[
Fantastic, funny book. If you like Moore, I also highly recommend "A Dirty Job" about a widower with a young child who ends up becoming the incarnation of Death.

Yeah! I started that one shortly after finishing Lamb. You and every other Moore fan recommended A Dirty Job as the next go for me, and I'm loving it so far! :D

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:56 am

So I go to my night shift last night and start up the audio book of I'll Be Gone in the Dark, the recently published book about the Golden State Killer / East Side Rapist by the late wife of comedian Patton Oswalt. I'm about 6 hours through the 9 hour audiobook and I come home, turn on the computer and twitter is going insane with the news a Golden State Killer suspect had just been taken into custody a few hours ago, supposedly with a 100% DNA match to crime scene evidence. Big press conference going to take place in a few hours and Patton Oswalt is twittering right now that he's on his way there.

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:36 pm

TheDenizen wrote:I devoured all three books of his First Law series in about a week. Excellent fantasy with a superb cast of characters. Sand dan Glotka is one of my favorite characters in any book I've read.

I've been looking into Joe Abercrombie's books, and between the impressions I've read and the strong recommendations from everyone here, I'm interested. What's a good starting point for a first timer?

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:46 pm

"First Law" Trilogy for sure. The first book is called The Blade Itself. He has other novels set in the same place, but the First Law series really establishes the world and its history.

desertpunk
Lord of the Under Realms

Postby desertpunk » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:04 pm

It might surprise some to learn Desertpunk reads, let alone keeps shelves of books :lol:

I'm backlogged though, I keep buying books but never get time to read them. I say i got a good 20 books sitting on my bookcase never read. :oops:

last book i actually finished was Killing the Blues, a Jesse Stone Novel, by Robert B.Parker and whoever they got to finish his manuscript after his passing.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Tue May 01, 2018 11:16 pm

Today's Amazon impulse buys: Was recently watching a youtube video featuring some news about the Alien franchise retcon. Last year it was reported a new script which would be a true sequel to Aliens was in talks to go into production with Micheal Biehn (Corporal Hicks) and Sigourney Weaver (Ellen Ripley) set to revise their roles and Alien 3 and all subsequent films would be retconned. Anyway, the project is currently in 'Movie Hell' meaning nothing is moving forward on it.

So apparently Dark Horse comics is set to turn the script in to graphic novel format. Well this reminded me it had been a while since I checked out any of the new Aliens literature, so I ended up buying the Aliens: Dead Orbit graphic novel and the Alien: Out of the Shadows novel trilogy featuring Ellen Ripley and considered official canon to the Alien universe.

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:42 am

TheDenizen wrote:"First Law" Trilogy for sure. The first book is called The Blade Itself. He has other novels set in the same place, but the First Law series really establishes the world and its history.

Picked up The Blade Itself and I am really liking it so far! Need more time to read, thank you all again for putting me on to this Abercrombie dude! :D
Last edited by BakFu888 on Sun May 06, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yo_Charlie
Community Member

Postby Yo_Charlie » Fri May 04, 2018 8:54 pm

I have a Kindle so I get all the benefits of reading with none of the dusty paper :D

I picked up Jim Ross' autobiography for $1.99 and it was a pretty solid/breezy read. You can tell there's alot of dark stuff he chose not to write about (his dad beating him, the complete failure of his personal life outside of general mentions, Owen Hart's death, etc) but the wrestling stuff he chose to cover was really informative.

It also exposed a rarely seen side of Vince. Whether it's him driving like a maniac while 'dancing' or letting JR sign Mick Foley so JR could "learn how it feels to have your heart broken by a character you think is going to a star---and then it ends up being the shits" or the insane motivational letter he sent JR after his parents died/second bout of Bell's Palsy. He comes off as much more sympathetic and human.

Dear JR,

It's not the number of times you get knocked down in life that counts. What counts is the number of times you get the fuck back up. So get the fuck back up! Give the Stone Cold hand sign to everyone who wants you to stay down. Use the love, respect, admiration, strength, and will of your friends to bolster your spirit, restore your confidence, and help you face the challenges of the future. You have come a long way, JR. You've earned a great deal of respect and admiration from family, friends, and foes. However, "that was yesterday." I need you, your family needs you, your company needs you to help carry the WWF into the future, black hat and all. JR you have my utmost respect, appreciation and love!

Your friend,
Vince

P.S. There are 5,000 reasons for you to celebrate this Christmas in an envelope on my desk, which will be presented to you on your first day back at the office. Merry Christmas.

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Tue May 08, 2018 3:33 pm

So, with all the talk of a Red Dead Redemption sequel and me being as big a fan of the game as it seems the rest of the world is, and the appearance of the first season of HBO's Westworld series for free on my cable on demand service, I've been thinking I'd share some of my of some of my favourite western themed books here in case anyone wants to get into the groove before the new game drops. A few that I read that I could recommend are The Winter Brothers and Smonk for quick page turning fun western stuff with no shortage of violence and dark humour with well constructed characters, The Sisters Brothers for a bit of a humorous but pretty awesome western story, Charles Portis' many times brought to the big screen classic True Grit, for a bit more dramatic touch, the Lonesome Dove trilogy, and for those willing to brave a DARK, incredibly violent look at the old west, Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian may scratch the itch.

So there you go, a few dusty trails to head down while we wait till October (nearly November...), if you people have any other suggestions, please share them!

:deadhorse: (Sorry, I saw the dead horse and remembered playing RDR and having my really good horse expire after a fall off a cliff and being so mad that I emptied my pistol into it, just made me laugh a bit... :))

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:25 pm

Blood Meridian is pretty much my favorite novel ever.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:14 am

^always took you more for a Robinson Crusoe kind of guy

:lol:
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:09 am

TheDenizen wrote:Blood Meridian is pretty much my favorite novel ever.

That is a GRITTY, salty ol' bitch. McCarthy at his McCarthy-ist. Loved it, but not unlike the rest of his stuff, not for everyone. Nice to see I'm not alone and also as messed as I thought I was for liking it so much! :)

Did you like The Road? Most people hate it, but I love it, one of my favourites of all time. I love amazing wordsmiths, McCarthy is one of them. The guy paints beautifully bleak pictures with language, like an artist painting amazing landscapes using only black paint and a few splatters of red. I love the unnamed father and son, the unseen, non-described cataclysm looming over the world, the hope the father instills in the boy that the destination of their journey will be their salvation, the whole thing in general. So different from Blood Meridian, but still very identifiable as a McCarthy story.

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:22 pm

El Marsh wrote:^always took you more for a Robinson Crusoe kind of guy

:lol:

lol not so much.
BakFu888 wrote:That is a GRITTY, salty ol' bitch. McCarthy at his McCarthy-ist. Loved it, but not unlike the rest of his stuff, not for everyone. Nice to see I'm not alone and also as messed as I thought I was for liking it so much! :)

oh no, you're totally messed up. Join the club :P First time I read Blood Meridian I wasn't really sure if I was enjoying it or not...then I got to the part with the
Spoiler: show
tree full of dead babies
and the switch flipped. Awesome shit.

I did enjoy The Road. Very minimalist and relentlessly bleak (not unlike Blood Meridian), but a solid read. I liked the book even more than the movie, even though I saw the movie first and thought Viggo Mortensen was amazing in the Father role.