YAY Sportsball! Do The Thing! Win The Points! (General Sports Thread)

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Re: YAY Sportsball! Do The Thing! Win The Points! (General Sports Thread)

Postby El Marsh » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:15 am

My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Dave wrote:Should also note that I went to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWG1Uig1v-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn5oe8bcQ40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_wG61DGxpE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5QQKuqaNOo

I went last season, as well, and have to say it was much better last time, as the games were mostly no-contests this time, and last season also had an epic 90 yard solo run try.

This looks like fun! I had no idea Canada (Toronto... ahem.) even has an active league team. League rugby is fun to watch, but being in Canada, if it's not hockey, baseball, NFL football, or even GOLF (PGA bullshit pushed the Germany/Mexico world cup game to one of the pay extra sports channels...) fat chance you'll get coverage. We'll get darts or f%&king CARDS on some of our sports networks before something as athletic as rugby of any kind. Canada's mens side continues to slide in the union rankings (21st and plummeting daily), the womens' game is doing better (3rd overall!), but you'll rarely see an international match on TV here. We did have an international drubbing of the Canadian national team by Scotland (10 - 48) here in Edmonton on June 9th, and 12824 people showed up, so hopefully, if that many people will show up to watch our side get demolished, maybe we could support a cool tournament like the one you went to!

Dave
Community Member

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:09 pm

Toronto matches are streamed, I believe, and they played all their matches at somewhere called Lamport Stadium last season with every match apparently being sold out, but this season are mostly away from home(that game at Newcastle I posted was one of their "home" matches) due to their ground being unsuitable for holding matches in the division they currently play in.

I genuinely don't see how it'll work out. Part of their agreement with the RFL for being given a place in the English pro league is that they had to pay for travel and accommodation of away teams and fans. I also get the feeling that them selling out every match was maybe a bit of a fad, due to it being the first ever season of RL in Canada, and indeed the first pro team to play trans-Atlantic.

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:19 pm

Dave wrote:I genuinely don't see how it'll work out. Part of their agreement with the RFL for being given a place in the English pro league is that they had to pay for travel and accommodation of away teams and fans. I also get the feeling that them selling out every match was maybe a bit of a fad, due to it being the first ever season of RL in Canada, and indeed the first pro team to play trans-Atlantic.

Yeah, I don't see that working out well, either. I can't imagine the expense of that kind of endeavour. I remember when there was talk of Canada potentially joining the Five Nations Championship (then Italy snuck in and took the spot... :evil: ) with Gareth Rees leading that charge, but again it was deemed too expensive, too travel intensive, etc, so that never came to be. It would have been huge for union rugby in Canada, but in reality not the most practical thing. It's cool to see a Canadian side competing in a league in the UK, hopefully they get some funding and the team ends up more than just a fad, but with how cool and awesome Canadians are, I can't see any other outcome but good! ;)

Dave
Community Member

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:01 pm

To be fair, they won their division with ease last season, and upon gaining promotion to the league above, they're currently top of that league by 7 points with 12 points left to play for.

Keep in mind that the 4 top teams in that league compete in the qualification tournament for the Super League(top division of England and France), a half round robin with the worst 4 teams from the Super League, with the best 4 teams from that table securing a Super League place... well, as long as they pass an inspection.

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:07 pm

Well, at least we won't have to hear about Neymar flopping anymore. :P

LankyLefty17
Community Member

Postby LankyLefty17 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:15 pm

As the spouse of a Belgian, our household is a lot happier than it would have been given the alternative...

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:39 pm

Spoiler: show

My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

LankyLefty17
Community Member

Postby LankyLefty17 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:56 pm

El Marsh wrote:

That second one is hilarious

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:57 pm

El Marsh wrote:

you win the internet

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:18 am

TheDenizen wrote:
El Marsh wrote:

you win the internet

Ditto