The NBA Thread

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Re: The NBA Thread

Postby El Marsh » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:12 pm

Stephen Curry is a witch and he should be burned at the stake
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:25 pm

He is most definitely not human.
ImageImage ImageImage

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:13 pm

El Marsh wrote:Stephen Curry is a witch and he should be burned at the stake

Zealot wrote:He is most definitely not human.

:lol:

Wonder what Orochigeese has to say since Golden State is his team, I believe.

Someone send out the Goose Signal :P

C-Drive
Web Ninja

Postby C-Drive » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:54 pm

Timberwolf wrote:Someone send out the Goose Signal :P

I already have a few days ago in another thread, but it hasn't worked yet.
FPWR Save Conversion Kit v1.3 (2016-09-06)
Use this toolkit to easily convert .max and .psu files into the PlayStation Network (PlayStation 3) format, convert saves between regions, or load .max and .psu files into .ps2 files quickly - and more!

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:30 pm

I'm ecstatic about this :D The Warriors and Curry specifically have reached a level that I didn't even believe they would. Few teams or players ever do reach this level. I saw how talented they were as they were rising up the Western ranks but I had no clue that they would get it together like this and utterly dominate the league in over the past year and a half. It's really awesome to me cause I think the players themselves are cool and their style of play is one I really support. i love seeing a 3 point shooter dominate like this. I love seeing shooters dominate like this.

Curry is being likened to a video game character at this point and it's really not an exaggeration.

I hope they beat the Bulls record and also hope they win the Championship again. This has been an awesome season for them but I hope it won't wear them out (or cause an injury) before the playoffs. I know Curry hurt his ankle the other night and that could be a problem for him given his history. The NBA is too competitive, especially in the playoffs, to ever rest on one's laurels. I'm really happy to see the Warriors getting their moment in the sun but I want it to continue. I believe they'll stay hungry but Western teams raise their game in the Playoffs (looking at you, Spurs) and injuries are impossible to predict. Regular season domination is awesome but I want them to put the cherry on top in May and June.

Meanwhile, holy shit Curry is a witch :shock: :D

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:21 pm

So uh...holy shit :markout:

The Warriors now have the best win-loss record of any team in history! They are 73-9, surpassing the Bulls record of 72 wins. I had high hopes for the Warriors a few years ago, but never did I think they'd win the NBA Championships and then make history by beating the Bulls regular season record in the next year. Here's hoping they can seal the deal with another Championship. I'm a little concerned that the western juggernaut conference is going to leave them worse for the wear and make it challenging to beat the always dangerous Spurs or the "coasting" Cavaliers in the Finals. But no one can take away the regular season victory from them. Fact is that the Bulls biggest rivals in those few years were the Jazz in the other conference whereas most of the Warriors problems will come from their same conference. If they lose to the Spurs, there's no shame in that and I don't think their regular season accomplishment should be overlooked.

Also, Kobe Bryant scored 60 points in the final game of his career and carried his team to a 4th quarter comeback :lol:

NBA has my attention again, just in time for the playoffs. Hope the West is everything it's cracked up to be and an East team with cohesion upsets the Cavaliers so that people once again understand that NBA basketball is a team sport.

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:31 pm

The Warriors may be rolling. But don't count the Spurs out. The Spurs are just as good and they tend to peak in the playoffs. Assuming the seeds fall as they should in the playoffs, it should be a great Western conference finals.

Meanwhile, "Coach" Lebron and the Cavaliers will most likely win the East. I see no one in the East to challenge Cleveland.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:40 pm

Totally agreed. I respect the hell out of the Spurs. They could win it all and I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed. I'd cheer for them too, especially against the Cavs. I love basketball and even though the Warriors are my favorite team, I really like the Spurs and generally root for them. I love rivalries between two teams that are talented and coached well. Two years of Bulls/Jazz were the highlight of 90's basketball to me despite being disappointed the Jazz couldn't win one.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:33 am

>_>

I'd probably be happier about the Warriors and their fans if they didn't collectively come off as self-entitled dicks.

Can't take anything away from them but screw em. I actually like the fact that more people were into the Kobe finale than watching the Warriors. I've never seen a team attitude sour so badly once they started winning. Guess that's what I should expect given their location.

Anyhow, the Bulls rightfully didn't make the playoffs so I don't really have a personal stake in these playoffs though I'm a pretty big fan of Russvin Durantbrook as well as Gregg Popovich and Tim Duncan so I wouldn't mind seeing either OKC or San Antonio making deep playoff runs. The East could be interesting with a bevy of unusual suspects in the top half of the seeding. I still think Cleveland will win the Conference but I wouldn't count out a team like Toronto or Charlotte to push them. The Celtics are a fun team to watch and I truly believe that Brad Stephens could become the coaching icon of his generation (he's not there yet but his impact as a 30-something rookie head coach a couple of years back was IMMEDIATE and they've only improved in each successive season). I can't rightly "pull" for them but it would be entertaining to see them make a run.
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:23 am

El Marsh wrote:>_>

I'd probably be happier about the Warriors and their fans if they didn't collectively come off as self-entitled dicks.

Can't take anything away from them but screw em. I actually like the fact that more people were into the Kobe finale than watching the Warriors. I've never seen a team attitude sour so badly once they started winning. Guess that's what I should expect given their location.

I haven't followed the NBA so much this season so I wasn't so privy to some of the stories involving players and fans. I have heard that people are annoyed at the Warriors being arrogant but aside from that I wasn't aware of any extreme assholery. I still think Miami Heat fans a few years ago were the most annoying as they were clearly just there to be seen with the hype.

Curry becoming a human highlight reel could go to anyone's head, even Warrior fans that had no role in his excellence :lol:

"We're the best!"
"No, you buy $10 beers and WATCH the best."

El Marsh wrote: I'm a pretty big fan of Russvin Durantbrook

Imagine him taking the ring to Mordor...no one would be able to steal it from him :lol:

El Marsh wrote:as well as Gregg Popovich and Tim Duncan so I wouldn't mind seeing either OKC or San Antonio making deep playoff runs.

OKC has underperformed due to injuries and I hope that one day they can have a more consistent year and get a Championship. It's crazy that Durant has not won a Title yet but injuries to him, Westbrook, and others obviously were a factor.

I never tire of Popovich and Duncan winning a Championship. Duncan is a class act in every way possible and his respect for the game and his team should be emulated far more than most NBA role models. Popovich is the greatest coaching mind in a generation. I don't care how great the Warriors have been this season (and it's not like the Spurs have been that far behind). Pop's Spurs in the Playoffs can take out any team and the Warriors have to be ready. It was not that long ago that the Spurs won a Title, and they did it against a team far more stacked than Lebron is on right now. If the Spurs win, the Cavs are fucked. If the Warriors win, I don't know. They beat the Cavs last year but there were some uneasy moments. I think the Spurs under Pop have better strategies against Lebron than the Warriors may have in crunch time due to how young they still are. Both teams have confidence but the Spurs have one forged from experience and poise whereas the Warriors have bravado (much like the Cavs do).

I'm torn. I don't know if Duncan and company are gonna stick around another year but if they don't, I'd love to see them win one more. As much as I like the Warriors, it would be the perfect Spurs move to take a season that wasn't about them in the media and then stuff it in everyone's faces by winning the Championship. Still, without a Championship to cap off this season, I'd feel like the Warriors will have the oddest "incomplete" season ever and I'd hate to see that happen to them.

In any case, either of them please over the Cavs.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:19 pm

It's never enough because of who he is but damn, give this man some credit

Spoiler: show

Not really a fan of either team and have found this series to have a couple of......dubious....instances.

Regardless of how I and others feel, Game 7 will prove to be must-see fare for basketball types, and I sort of hate that.
In any event, it would be cool to see the Cavs win their first title, and the city of Cleveland win its first title since my parents were in grade school 50+ years ago. If the Warriors win, then good for them too.

That said, as dominant as LeBron has been during these Finals (look at the picture....LOOK AT IT!), it should be noted that the Cavaliers are getting invaluable contributions from Kyrie Irving (who is even busting his ass on defense to limited effect), Tristan Thompson, JR Smith, and........Richard Jefferson? Kevin Love has been a complete flop in Cleveland and that's never been more apparent than in these Finals. That said, Richard Jefferson (the 35 year-old swingman who starred on those great Nets teams from 15 years ago) has been a revelation. He doesn't run or jump like he used to but he's as intelligent and tough as ever and that savvy and tenacity has served Cleveland well where their starter, Love, has completely missed. Good call on Tyrron Lue to give him heavy minutes instead of Love. I'm not sure many coaches would have had the fortitude to bench a "star" over a supervet but with Love's output (or lack thereof), there was just no choice.
ImageImage

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:12 pm

Richard Jefferson made me a fan of his when he played for the Spurs even when they made life difficult for my then favorite team the Suns (led by Nash). Jefferson is probably one of the most serious, ambitious, and reliable players on that team and he still has a ton of skill and physical ability. He's a professional and they need that now. Kyrie has stepped up but is inconsistent and you never know what J.R. Smith is going to do in terms of his play or behavior.

I'm surprised that the Warriors have blown a 3-1 lead and that they had a meltdown last night.

I wanted them to win this year (especially to "protect" their season record) but my interest in the NBA has kind of waned again and so I'm not quite as emotionally invested in their victory this year as I was last year. Granted, last year being their first shot meant more but I'm more apathetic this year about them winning or the Cavs losing :lol:

This entire NBA Finals kind of feels like Lebron "Hulking up" which makes me a little :? about it all too. I'm pretty certain that Game 7 will be decided in an overtime buzzer beater after Lebron stuffs a Curry 3 before regulation time ends.

fullMETAL
Belt-Designing Crayonicorn

Postby fullMETAL » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:02 pm

El Marsh wrote:Tyrron Lue

Tyrron Luennister? ;)

(insert GoT photoshopped pic here)

Anyways, LeBron is LeBron is LeBron is LeBron. But, in my opinion, if the Cavs actually WIN this year, it'll be because LeBron finally got himself good enough teammates (like with the Heat Holy Trinity of him, Bosh, and Wade) in Cleveland to help him out.
Even Kobe Bryant needed help for his Lakers to win the Finals before, you know?
Escargot in 5 minutes or your dignity back!

djkm77
Community Member

Postby djkm77 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:44 pm

Great booking by the NBA this year. Warriors are teasing a slow heel turn only to return to Oakland with a huge baby face pop. Going to be a huge house and TV ratings are going to be off the charts.

Also heel ref Monty McCutchen is working tonight's game so the Warriors are going to have to play twice as good to win. Since the beginning of 2016 the Warriors are 34-1 at home when he does not ref and 1-3 when he does.
"A dollar saved is a dollar wasted." John "Blood" McNally
Links To My Saves
http://www.fpwarena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31
http://www.fpwarena.com/files/djkm77/

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:15 am

Whatever

I'm happy for the Cleveland fans

the Warriors posers who didn't give a shit about basketball until it came into vogue can eat a bag of dicks
ImageImage

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:25 am

It only took a half a century, but the sports gods have shined their light on Cleveland once more.
ImageImage ImageImage

Chopper Dave
Community Member

Postby Chopper Dave » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:59 am

The shock has worn off, but it's still pretty incredible to think about, especially the way it happened, down 3-1. According to the news channels here, there's been a bit of minor damage to some cars and signs in Cleveland, but nothing major, and nobody appears to be hurt. Much better than some people on NeoGAF predicting the city was going to burn down.

I know in the past I had my doubts about Cleveland sports, and even though it's a bit late now, I realized near the beginning of tonight's game that, at the end of the day, it is just a game, and life goes on, win or lose. I've told myself that before, but I think I really believe it now. I'll be more light-hearted when it comes to sports, and no matter what controversies or terrible losing seasons might come for Cleveland, I will continue to support and cheer on the Cavs and the Indians as long as I can. I won't cheer the Browns, but that's because of my dislike for the NFL in general, nothing against the Browns personally.

My overall feeling right now is happiness, a sense of peace. No matter what happens in the future, Cleveland will always have 2016.
Interesting stuff. Stay tuned for more...TALES. OF. INTEREST!!!
This signature was brought to you by...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT7tac9h8Gw

forties2002
Community Member

Postby forties2002 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:00 pm

Chopper Dave wrote: that's because of my dislike for the NFL in general

For I am but a caveman and do not understand these strange words...

Congrats Cavs!
Whoop that trick

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:13 pm

Did Tony Romo sign a contract with Golden State or something? :sarcasm:

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:31 am

Golden State did the same thing in the last few minutes that I used to be (rightly) CRITICAL! of Lebron for. They weren't running plays and relied on perception of their greatness to force low percentage shots in. They gave the game away in the final few minutes. Kyrie's shot wasn't super high percentage but that wasn't really the game winner. Golden State's refusal to adjust their strategy and go for actual plays lost things for them. Lebron's block was brutal :shock:

I'm happy for Cleveland. Even Kevin Love is happy tonight :lol: Golden State botched this one though. After such an amazing season, it's shocking to see them drop a 3-1 Finals lead. Whether Curry was injured or not, the plays just were not good at the end of the game. They had issues with stopping Cleveland and kept forcing up shots way early in the 24 second clock. Overall, Cleveland wanted this more and worked really hard for it. They earned it. Lebron deserves the praise here.

A few years ago, I would have been annoyed at Golden State losing this and the way they did. But eh, I'm not. They won last year. They'll hopefully learn from this loss and come back stronger (as the Spurs did against the Heat). Golden State still has incredibly young players (and Iguodala) and they will learn from this and get better. Kerr will make sure of it.

Speaking of Kerr, last night's Finals Game 7 was the highest rated Finals Game 7 since the Bulls/Jazz series of '98.

kokushishin
Community Member

Postby kokushishin » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:03 pm

I know Bogut's not the guy he used to be, but his injury didn't help either.
<rmm311> I demand you stop being right.

Licentia Docendi Dans Grapil/Lutte

Evening Star, Trollslayer, Bearer of Bad News, Bane of Fools, Dread of the Derpy

forties2002
Community Member

Postby forties2002 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:51 pm

orochigeese wrote: After such an amazing season, it's shocking to see them drop a 3-1 Finals lead.

I don't know if anyone realized this, but GS went 73-9 in the regular season. They lost the same amount of games in the playoffs, that's what is shocking to me! 1 vs Hou, 1 vs Por, 3 vs OkC and then 4 vs Clev
Whoop that trick

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:30 pm

It's also the first time that they've lost 3 consecutive games since Steve Kerr took over as coach in 2014.

On a more personal note, the Bulls traded away Derrick Rose for the Knicks' trash. I am not particularly happy to see Rose leave and I'm even less-impressed by the haul. The Bulls' front office is almost Beltran-era Royals bad and I'm not sure that I want to endure it much longer.
ImageImage

djkm77
Community Member

Postby djkm77 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:26 pm

forties2002 wrote:
orochigeese wrote: After such an amazing season, it's shocking to see them drop a 3-1 Finals lead.

I don't know if anyone realized this, but GS went 73-9 in the regular season. They lost the same amount of games in the playoffs, that's what is shocking to me! 1 vs Hou, 1 vs Por, 3 vs OkC and then 4 vs Clev

And four of the losses were reffed by McCutchen.
"A dollar saved is a dollar wasted." John "Blood" McNally
Links To My Saves
http://www.fpwarena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31
http://www.fpwarena.com/files/djkm77/

forties2002
Community Member

Postby forties2002 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:19 pm

Durant to Golden State. Wow!
Whoop that trick