The NBA Thread

Timberwolf
Community Member

The NBA Thread

Postby Timberwolf » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:11 pm

So tonight is the season opener for the NBA with 3 games on the slate, I believe. The rest of the league opens the season tomorrow.

Looks like there is no clear cut favorite for the NBA title right now. It's a long season though and anything can happen.

I'm optimistic about my Bucks. I think they have a solid shot at improving over last year's record now that they've had a year to play under Jason Kidd plus Jabari Parker is back from his injury.

What about the rest of you NBA fans?
Last edited by Timberwolf on Tue May 22, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Re: "The Derrick Rose Injury Updates Thread" AKA The NBA Thread

Postby orochigeese » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:39 pm

I didn't even realize the season had started :lol:

The Playoff and World Series fever in NY has been so high for the Mets that even the mighty football has been drowned out.

After the Warriors won last year, this season is kind of like a "just watch and enjoy". I can't expect them to win again but that would be awesome. But they already won their Championship so I think they'll probably play more relaxed. It would be pretty cool if somehow they three-peated. Then everyone would be like: ""Wait, maybe it wasn't Michael Jordan, maybe it was Steve Kerr" :lol: :lol:

I guess my questions going into the season are:

1) Will the Spurs make one last REALLY strong effort to win one more Title?

2) Will the Knicks fall apart so comedically that it's more akin to a reality show than a basketball season for them?

3) Will the Cavs play with more cohesion and obliterate the East completely?

4) Will the Clippers actually get to the Finals for once?

5) Are the Thunder being hunted by some evil spirit of injury? :shock:

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:14 pm

Anyhow, I'm glad to see the Bulls get off to a quick 2-0 start. We knew that it would take an adjustment with Fred Hoiberg taking over form Tom Thibodeau at head coach but so far, they've exceeded expectations. It's an incredibly small sample but wins are wins. Just hope that everybody can stay reasonably healthy. Rose gets the headlines because he was an MVP-caliber player before injuries derailed him but the Bulls really missed a healthy Joakim Noah (he played hurt) for all of last season and also stretches from Pau Gasol and Taj Gibson; the latter 3 are the top 3 big men on the Bulls.

Oklahoma City proffers the most intriguing look going into the season as far as I'm concerned. Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant took turns missing time last season and were eventually joined by rim-protector extraordinaire-turned stretch-4 Serge Ibaka. Like the Bulls (funny how they're my favorite teams.....), the Thunder are also entering the season with a college-forged head coach (in tis case, 2x Nat Champion Billy Donovan). The popular opinion for years has been that aside from Westbrook's (and later Durant and Ibaka's) health, the biggest hindrance to taking the title was their head coach Scott Brooks who, while personable and popular among his players, flatly sucked as a game manager (among other issues, the insane minutes KD and Russ play have undoubtedly aided in their injury woes).IF OKC can stay healthy and IF Donovan proves to be the strategic upgrade that everyone things he is, I don't see why they wouldn't be the favorite to dethrone Golden State in the West.

As for everything else (I COULD do a team-by-team analysis but I'm as averse to providing all of that rambling as you lot probably are to trying to read it :P), I'm just hoping that we can have a relatively healthy season this year. Aside from my own teams, several others had their de facto "go to guys" miss large swaths of time, most notably the Lakers and Knicks. The league is much less fun when so many of its stars are sitting in street clothes.

Likewise, I want to see how this year's draft lottery guys play out. All of the attention is on D'Angelo Russell of the Lakers and Kristaps Porzingis of the Knicks because of their franchise's market share but while they're grabbing headlines, I'm predicting that the rookie of the year will either be Jahlil Okafor of the 76ers or Emmanuel Mudiay of the Nuggets. Mudiay had his first game last night and despite 11 turnovers, he contributed 17 pts, 6 rebounds, and 9 assists in an upset blowout over Houston. Not bad for a kid who skipped college to play in China for a season (and thus had NO exposure to NBA-level talent, unlike those found at big name NCAA programs). Okafor is an offense-first big man who should complement defense-first fellow youngling Nerlens Noel nicely. Once he adapts to playing against guys his own size, I expect he could be an 18/8 guy, which would be phenomenal for a 1st-year player. Despite not liking the caustic nature of "some" Knicks fans, I really hope that Porzingis aka "Skinny Baby Dirk" works out for them, as many expect him to fail and even more want him to. Nothing like making them eat crow!

So yeah, despite what I feel is completely understandable preoccupation with the World Series at the moment, I'm all into basketball season already. Of the "Big Four" sports, it was probably the season that I anticipated the most over the past cycle of offseasons (yes, even more than baseball; I KNEW the Royals would be good so no worries but not THIS good lol).
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:32 pm

orochigeese wrote:I didn't even realize the season had started :lol:

The Playoff and World Series fever in NY has been so high for the Mets that even the mighty football has been drowned out.

After the Warriors won last year, this season is kind of like a "just watch and enjoy". I can't expect them to win again but that would be awesome. But they already won their Championship so I think they'll probably play more relaxed. It would be pretty cool if somehow they three-peated. Then everyone would be like: ""Wait, maybe it wasn't Michael Jordan, maybe it was Steve Kerr" :lol: :lol:

I guess my questions going into the season are:

1) Will the Spurs make one last REALLY strong effort to win one more Title?

2) Will the Knicks fall apart so comedically that it's more akin to a reality show than a basketball season for them?

3) Will the Cavs play with more cohesion and obliterate the East completely?

4) Will the Clippers actually get to the Finals for once?

5) Are the Thunder being hunted by some evil spirit of injury? :shock:

My predictions to those questions (because why not? :P):

1) You bet your feathered bottom that they will. Although Golden State and OKC project to be the teams to beat in the West, the Spurs WILL be there and depending on health and circumstance, they may very well find a way to take the whole thing once again, even with the desiccated remains of the once elite guard tandem of Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli. After all, they were the only playoff team last year that gave the Warriors any significant trouble in the end and they should be even better this year with the additions of LaMarcus Aldridge and David West (who is a punk, but very talented nonetheless).

2) Sadly, I think that will be the case. Bringing in Robin Lopez (whose identical twin starts for the OTHER NYC team :lol:) was a good move but I feel that it will ultimately prove moot, as the offense will still revolve around the notoriously mercurial fancies of Carmelo Anthony. There is no doubt that Carmelo is still the unequivocal most dangerous player on the Eastern Seabord (well, that John Wall guy is pretty good too but I digress) but he can't do it alone. NOBODY can do it alone but he especially can't given his high-volume scoring style. I don't think Derrick Fisher is the right man to try to coach a turnaround and with due respect to his legacy elsewhere, I have felt from the beginning that Phil Jackson is only there because they threw stupid amounts of money at him and who doesn't like that? The playoffs would seem like a dream but realistically, a 30+ win season would be a solid finish for them.

3) I think Cleveland will be more cohesive and are still the team to beat (kind of goes with having LeBron) but the rest of the conference IS getting better and I doubt they'll have it as easy this year as they did last, even with more experience playing together. Realistically, I see the Bulls being their primary rival with Toronto, Brooklyn, and Milwaukee making strides to become more legitimate title contenders (that's not to say that they will do so this year but they should each be in for deeper playoff runs). I may be mistaken in this but I think the Hawks will be quite a bit worse without DeMarre Carroll (now of Toronto) who was hands down their best 2-way player and the "glue" that enabled their overall success.

4) HAHAHAHA. NO :upsidedownlol:

5) Sure seems like it. As I've already detailed though, if they can get past that bugaboo (see what I did there? XD) they'll be one of the top three teams in the league. That's a big if though because history is against them. If they can have any two of Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka for 3/4 of the season then they'll easily make the playoffs. If they have all three come playoff time, I'd wager they'd win the whole thing. That's not selling Golden State, San Antonio, Houston, etc. short but those 3 guys in OKC are the mean equivalent of LeBron, Wade, and Bosh in Miami a few years ago and we all saw what they did.
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Re: The NBA Thread

Postby El Marsh » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:25 am

So yeah, the Warriors are 12-0 to start the season largely because because Stephen Curry is playing like the best player in the NBA. I mean, last year he had the numbers and was the linchpin of the league champion which earned him an MVP award but what we've seen over the last 3 weeks from him has been sort of unreal. Granted the league isn't quite a month old but at present, he is way in front as the scoring leader with a 33.4ppg average (Kevin Durant is #2 at 28.1ppg) and is doing so with FG/3PT/FT % of .517/.452/.944; that's right, thus far he is in the vaunted, rare air of the 50/40/90 club. I heard some crazy stat a few days ago that said that he was making like 65% of everything inside the arc. To put that in a bit of perspective, DeAndre Jordan (a center who is notorious for his lack if offensive range) led the league in FG% last year with a percentage of exactly 71% while the NBA average is less than .500. If he wasn't such a high volume 3pt shooter, his damn shot percentage could very well be nearer to .800! But alas, he IS a very high volume 3pt shooter (1st in attempts at 126; struggling MVP runner-up James Harden is 2nd with 103 attempts) and IS a very successful one to boot (he's 1st in 3pters made with 57; the Blazers' Damian Lillard is #2 with 37 made). Of the 8 players who have made at least 25 threes so far this season, Curry's .452 percentage from downtown is the best. Of that group, only Kyle Lowry (.420) and Paul George (.415) approach Curry's mark but each has made roughly half as many 3pters as Curry (29 for Lowry and 27 for George). Utterly flipping ridiculous!

Something that I've made reference to already and will rant about at length later is just how many "impact" rookies we've seen from the 2015 draft class. Jahlil Okafor of the 76ers can score. We all KNEW he would be a scorer in the league but I don't think he was expected to average 19.2 ppg quite so quickly (and he's actually been REALLY surprising with his 7.6 rpg average, as rebounding was by far his least impressive area of contribution coming out of his year of NCAA ball). Even more impressively than him has been #1 overall pick Karl-Anthony Towns of Minnesota. At present, he is averaging 15.5 ppg, 10.2 rpg, and 2.2 bpg; these rank him top 50 in scoring, 6th in rebounding, and 8th in blocks. This guy JUST turned 20 not two weeks ago! While certainly not quite as statistically dominant as Towns, the contributions of super young international players Kristaps Porzingis (Latvia) of the Knicks and Emmanuel Mudiay (originally from the Congo) of the Nuggets. While the performances of Towns, Okafor, and a couple of other 1-2 year NCAA-bred rookies are outstanding, the largely positive contributions of Mudiay and Porzingis are notable because they did NOT play against NBA-level talent until actually joining the NBA (Mudiay went to high school in Dallas and played against some prep stars but nothing quite like teams full of them, this despite a year a professional in China). While he does have something of a turnover issue, he has shown flashes of a brilliant scoring touch (12.0 ppg, #3 aming rookies) and is a very accomplished passer (#2 in assists among rookies). Porzingis, who was much derided by Knicks fans upon his selection, has been something of a marvel. Not only has grown two inches (now an insane 7'3") and gained 15 lbs (up[ to 240) since the draft but he's proven to be much, much more versatile than his original designation as a "perimeter big" entailed. He's probably had as many highlights in 11 games as any Knick not named Carmelo has had in the past half decade. The kid has "it" and is literally getting better game by game, as evidenced by a 28pt, 11 rebound "coming out" performance in a win over Charlotte a few hours ago. Towns may be the best overall player to come out of the class (if he's THIS good now, what will he be like in 5 years? :shock:) but Porzingis may very well end up becoming the biggest star.
ImageImage

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:52 am

El Marsh wrote:So yeah, the Warriors are 12-0 to start the season largely because because Stephen Curry is playing like the best player in the NBA. I mean, last year he had the numbers and was the linchpin of the league champion which earned him an MVP award but what we've seen over the last 3 weeks from him has been sort of unreal. Granted the league isn't quite a month old but at present, he is way in front as the scoring leader with a 33.4ppg average (Kevin Durant is #2 at 28.1ppg) and is doing so with FG/3PT/FT % of .517/.452/.944; that's right, thus far he is in the vaunted, rare air of the 50/40/90 club. I heard some crazy stat a few days ago that said that he was making like 65% of everything inside the arc. To put that in a bit of perspective, DeAndre Jordan (a center who is notorious for his lack if offensive range) led the league in FG% last year with a percentage of exactly 71% while the NBA average is less than .500. If he wasn't such a high volume 3pt shooter, his damn shot percentage could very well be nearer to .800! But alas, he IS a very high volume 3pt shooter (1st in attempts at 126; struggling MVP runner-up James Harden is 2nd with 103 attempts) and IS a very successful one to boot (he's 1st in 3pters made with 57; the Blazers' Damian Lillard is #2 with 37 made). Of the 8 players who have made at least 25 threes so far this season, Curry's .452 percentage from downtown is the best. Of that group, only Kyle Lowry (.420) and Paul George (.415) approach Curry's mark but each has made roughly half as many 3pters as Curry (29 for Lowry and 27 for George). Utterly flipping ridiculous!

This fills me with equal parts happiness for Curry and the Warriors and equal parts shame for me for not catching any of this. I'm just not in NBA mood yet and it sucks that I'm missing the basketball artist known as Stephen Curry. Keep it going strong, Warriors 8-)

I did hear a week or two ago that they beat a team that was in the playoffs last year by 50 points :shock: :lol:

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:50 pm

Did Marsh and Geese switch places? Marsh posts a wall o' text and Geese posts a short response :lol:

All kidding aside, I'm impressed with the Warriors myself. While they have a long ways to go to reach the Lakers' record of 33 wins in a row, they do have a shot at the record of most wins in a row to start a season. The Rockets hold the record with 15 wins in a row to open the 1993 season.

Only one team has won 70 or more games in a season. That was the 95-96 Bulls, who had 72 wins. It's a long season to even think about the Warriors' chances of even coming close to that feat. Even the Lebron James led Miami Heat, who had 27 wins in a row in the 2012-13 season, only had 66 wins. Not to mention that the Warriors are in a tough conference.

As for my Bucks, they can't get healthy and have the bad luck of playing in a tough division. There's potential for the central division to qualify all 5 teams for the playoffs. I would not be surprised if last place in that division still get 40 wins.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:59 am

It would be HI-LARIOUS if Milwaukee knocked off Golden State tonight, which would give them the season sweep. The Bucks ended the Warriors' 28-game REGULAR SEASON winning streak last weekend and the sunshine boys have been talking mad shit about them since. Klay Thompson being back for Golden State will undoubtedly make it a much tougher task for J-Kidd's bunch but anything can happen in professional sports.

I honestly kind of want to see them do it and humiliate the Warriors (who talk too damn much anyway).
I don't think it would happen but it would be amusing while giving the Bucks another notch on the belt of legitimacy as a good basketball team.
ImageImage

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:14 pm

While it didn't happen, I'd like to say in my best Paul Heyman voice that the Bucks are the ONE in 26 and 1 :P

captain howdy
Community Member

Postby captain howdy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:57 pm

As a Charlotte Hornets fan and season ticket holder, life sucks right now lol.

In November 2nd team in the East, after an up and down December they have lost 7 in a row and are down to 11th in the East yuck.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Timberwolf wrote:Did Marsh and Geese switch places? Marsh posts a wall o' text and Geese posts a short response :lol:

He definitely used some form of magic for that :lol:

captain howdy wrote:As a Charlotte Hornets fan and season ticket holder, life sucks right now lol.

I'm just glad they are the Charlotte Hornets again!! They were my favorite team in the 90's 8-)

I took them to an undefeated season in NBA Showdown '94. Granted they were a customized all star team :lol:

And they were owned by Ric Flair, in my head :lol:

captain howdy
Community Member

Postby captain howdy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:01 pm

orochigeese wrote:
I'm just glad they are the Charlotte Hornets again!! They were my favorite team in the 90's 8-)

I took them to an undefeated season in NBA Showdown '94. Granted they were a customized all star team :lol:

And they were owned by Ric Flair, in my head :lol:

Yes! I kept having Xavior McDaniels, Stacy Augman and blonde Dennis Rodman traded to the team, so I don't know if mine was quite all-star level. My favorite was NBA Live '96 because Alonzo was still on Hornets even though they had just traded him in real life and ruined my childhood :lol:

The absolute best part was that they got to re-acquire all records, stats and history from the previous Charlotte era!!

Everything that happened in New Orleans stays there, but the Hornet/Bobcat record book and history runs from 1988 - Now with just a 2 year gap while there was no Charlotte franchise. It's been great, they have brought back guys like Del Curry and Alonzo Mourning to do tribute nights, and the original Hugo logo and player jerseys are in the team store.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:38 pm

90's Charlotte Hornets and Orlando Magic had my favorite colors and designs. San Jose Sharks too of NHL.

A few years ago before Stephen Curry was well known, I was telling some peoples why I thought it was cool that he was in the NBA and doing a good job. I'm like, well his father, Dell, was on the Hornets. And they're like, Dell Curry? Who? Dell wasn't quite the overall player that Steph is (or never got the chance to show it or grow to that level) but no one is "who'ing" the Curry line anymore 8-) Dell lit it up during the Team part of the All Star Saturday night last year 8-)

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:33 pm

^I actually had that thought about him during his breakout year at Davidson

People were like "son of Dell Curry?" but I was like "OF COURSE! IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE!" :lol"

Dell Sr. wasn't a "star" but he WAS a damn good NBA sharpshooter who, IIRC, is or was the Hornets' all-time leading scorer by the time he left there. Thus, it didn't seem too terrible of a stretch that both of his sons would become exceptional shooters in their own right, with Steph having excellent athleticism to boot (something that his old man and younger brother didn't have, at least not nearly to his degree). Granted, aside from the crazy shooting range, Steph's game is nothing like his father's but it's one of those things that upon seeing and making the connection, you KNOW who it was he patterned his shot after.

As for the Hornets' fortunes this season, I completely understand the frustration but though it doesn't make it any easier, it's best justified by sheer bad luck injuries. Their current slide has coincided with the absence of "Big" Al Jefferson from their lineup who for all intents and purposes, is the single most important player on the roster. The absence of Nick Batum and Kemba Walker being in/out of the lineup have also hurt them since they don't have particularly good depth on the wing. I would think that if they can find some better health within the next month, they'll still be able to climb back into a surprisingly active Eastern Conference playoff race. They just can't do anything with injuries to their three most important players. Not that it's much consolation but at least they still have it better than the Pelicans whose one-man-show in Anthony Davis is seeming more and more destined for a very short career prime, this despite being one of the best talents in the game.

On a personal note, god damn the Bulls are frustrating this year. They have to be the streakiest team in the league. It's like they'll win 3 then lose 3, win 7 then lose 5, etc. All in all they're still "okay" but their lapses are maddening, especially when they drop games to teams that, quite frankly, they're outright superior to. With all due respect to everyone else in the Eastern Conference, if the Bulls aren't in shape to knock of Cleveland in the playoffs, nobody will be. Not that I thought they'd have much of a chance against Cleveland's retardedly stacked lineup anyway, but the Bulls are imo the clear-cut #2 team in the East in terms of talent (and yes, that's taking into account that Derrick Rose is now a role-player, something that I apparently accepted well before most others).
ImageImage

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:01 pm

El Marsh wrote:^I actually had that thought about him during his breakout year at Davidson

People were like "son of Dell Curry?" but I was like "OF COURSE! IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE!" :lol"

Dell Sr. wasn't a "star" but he WAS a damn good NBA sharpshooter who, IIRC, is or was the Hornets' all-time leading scorer by the time he left there. Thus, it didn't seem too terrible of a stretch that both of his sons would become exceptional shooters in their own right, with Steph having excellent athleticism to boot (something that his old man and younger brother didn't have, at least not nearly to his degree). Granted, aside from the crazy shooting range, Steph's game is nothing like his father's but it's one of those things that upon seeing and making the connection, you KNOW who it was he patterned his shot after.

At one point the Hornets had Dell Curry AND Hersey Hawkins and were really fun to watch if you love the 3-ball :goose:

I think Hawkins went to the Sonics at one point but for a while the Hornets back court was scary good. Also add Mugsy Bogues for occasional 3's (and all around fun) and also Larry Johnson! Gran-ma-ma was one of the best 3-point shooting PF's of that era. Hell, one game I even saw Zo hit a 3 pointer! I was floored that the whole team could shoot.

That was something I loved about the Magic too. Aside from Shaq, every single one of their mid 90's starters were spot on shooters. And putting aside that awful awful "probably still haunts him in his sleep" performance at the free throw line at the end of Game 1 against Houston, Nick Anderson was super dangerous, as was Dennis Scott.

If you wanted to have some 3-ball fun in NBA Jam: Tournament edition, Hornets and Magic were good choices.

Couldn't go wrong with my other favorite 90's team, the Utah Jazz 8-)

captain howdy
Community Member

Postby captain howdy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:35 pm

El Marsh wrote:
As for the Hornets' fortunes this season, I completely understand the frustration but though it doesn't make it any easier, it's best justified by sheer bad luck injuries. Their current slide has coincided with the absence of "Big" Al Jefferson from their lineup who for all intents and purposes, is the single most important player on the roster. The absence of Nick Batum and Kemba Walker being in/out of the lineup have also hurt them since they don't have particularly good depth on the wing. I would think that if they can find some better health within the next month, they'll still be able to climb back into a surprisingly active Eastern Conference playoff race. They just can't do anything with injuries to their three most important players. Not that it's much consolation but at least they still have it better than the Pelicans whose one-man-show in Anthony Davis is seeming more and more destined for a very short career prime, this despite being one of the best talents in the game.

On a personal note, god damn the Bulls are frustrating this year. They have to be the streakiest team in the league. It's like they'll win 3 then lose 3, win 7 then lose 5, etc. All in all they're still "okay" but their lapses are maddening, especially when they drop games to teams that, quite frankly, they're outright superior to. With all due respect to everyone else in the Eastern Conference, if the Bulls aren't in shape to knock of Cleveland in the playoffs, nobody will be. Not that I thought they'd have much of a chance against Cleveland's retardedly stacked lineup anyway, but the Bulls are imo the clear-cut #2 team in the East in terms of talent (and yes, that's taking into account that Derrick Rose is now a role-player, something that I apparently accepted well before most others).

Yes injuries have hurt, Jeremy Lin was banged up too along with Jeremy Lamb and Brian Roberts got playing time which is never good lol.

Yeah Cleveland isn't fair, I hate LeBron's insecurity that he can't be on a team that does not have a "Big 3".

As far as the Bulls, they are up and down which may be due to a new coach, but I get jealous of them none the less. Derrick Rose was a beast before injury but can still ball, then Jimmy Butler comes out of nowhere to be a dependable star, rising to superstar. And if that isn't enough then they have the rookie Bobby Portis, while playing limited minutes, looks like they have really found something there and looks to be a stud.

The Bulls have been the opposite of the Hornets when it comes to drafting, Charlotte spent the 4th overall on Cody Zeller a few years back, then took Noah Vonleh and PJ Hairston the next draft, they traded Vonleh for Batum who will be a UFA after the season and may not resign, then they decided not to pick up the One Million dollar player option on PJ's 3rd year, since he has been struggling. On top of that they passed on Justice Winslow to take Frank Kaminsky making it the 3rd PF they took in the lottery for the 3rd year in a row :angrymob: I really wanted Devin Booker but arrrg.

orochigeese wrote:
At one point the Hornets had Dell Curry AND Hersey Hawkins and were really fun to watch if you love the 3-ball :goose:

I think Hawkins went to the Sonics at one point but for a while the Hornets back court was scary good. Also add Mugsy Bogues for occasional 3's (and all around fun) and also Larry Johnson! Gran-ma-ma was one of the best 3-point shooting PF's of that era. Hell, one game I even saw Zo hit a 3 pointer! I was floored that the whole team could shoot.

That was something I loved about the Magic too. Aside from Shaq, every single one of their mid 90's starters were spot on shooters. And putting aside that awful awful "probably still haunts him in his sleep" performance at the free throw line at the end of Game 1 against Houston, Nick Anderson was super dangerous, as was Dennis Scott.

Oh man Nick Anderson. If I were a Magic fan I would still be sick about it. That team was loaded, when Penny Hardaway and Shaq were killing it, what I thought was about to be a dynasty turned into a really short run full of missed opportunities.

Also yes Hawkins and Dell were good stuff together, and Glen Rice was here at one point too knocking down the 3's.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:44 am

captain howdy wrote:Oh man Nick Anderson. If I were a Magic fan I would still be sick about it. That team was loaded, when Penny Hardaway and Shaq were killing it, what I thought was about to be a dynasty turned into a really short run full of missed opportunities.

I had total respect for the Houston Rockets but that series was heartbreaking. And I still maintain that Houston won the following 3 games (for the sweep) so easily because those missed Anderson free throws demoralized the young Orlando Magic squad. I loved that team too. Huge fan of Penny, D-Scott, and Nick Anderson specifically. Shaq was just power at that point and didn't yet gain the skill that he did working in LA but he was till fun to watch. And I loved the mentor role that Horace Grant played coming from the Bulls. I remember them beating the Bulls (with the returned MJ) in the playoffs to get to the Finals too. I was so primed for a huge battle between the Magic and Houston. But after those missed free throws at the end of game 1, it was just all downhill. They never got their nerve back :oops:

It was so painful to sit through too. Watching MJ beat the Jazz with that last second shot was at least a triumphant moment for a player. No one on the Rockets squad got to really be victorious watching Anderson miss those. And man, Anderson was like a 90%+ FT shooter and one of the best shooters in the league. It's not like this was Shaq. Every time I see Dennis Scott on NBA TV, I'm always wondering if he's still thinking of Anderson missing those shots :lol:

captain howdy wrote:Also yes Hawkins and Dell were good stuff together, and Glen Rice was here at one point too knocking down the 3's.

YES!! Glen Rice was another awesome player. Total all-around SF-sized guy who shot like a SG. I love guys who can do that. You just never know if he's gonna destroy you with a drive or from downtown. He was also great in NBA Jam :lol:

captain howdy
Community Member

Postby captain howdy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:48 pm

orochigeese wrote:
It was so painful to sit through too. Watching MJ beat the Jazz with that last second shot was at least a triumphant moment for a player.

Michael Jordan made basketball not much fun for people throughout the 90's :(

When the Hornets made their first playoff appearance in 1993 against the Celtics, we went to the local video store that had a ticket master, and drew in a lottery to get tickets. We drew 4th and got tickets 3 rows from the roof but I was just happy to be there. We got to see the famous shot of Alonzo catching the ball and shooting from the top of the key to beat the Celtics and send the Hornets to the 2nd Round!

Unfortunately 23 years later it's still their biggest moment. :facepalm:

captain howdy
Community Member

Postby captain howdy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:30 pm

Kemba! went off for 52 points yesterday, that was fun to watch.

Stressful game lol, I've never heard an entire crowd groan for more overtime, like what happened at the end of the 1st overtime.

But Kemba!!

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:38 pm

Cleveland fires HC David Blatt - for having the team in first place in the conference with a 30-11 record.....

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:02 pm

It has always seemed evident that the team never respected him. Each side seemed strained to make it work but it was never a good fit and honestly, I'm surprised that they even brought him back to start this year, despite winning the Conference title last season. It's Cleveland's dipshit GM that made the call to bring him in from Europe (where he spent the better part of 3 decades IIRC) and it's that dipshit GM that made the call to fire him at this particular point. I feel a bit for Blatt because when he came in, LeBron and Kevin Love weren't part of the equation. It was meant to be Blatt coaching up Kyrie and Andrew Wiggins. Then shit happened and he ended up with two high ego celebrity superstars, something that he could not have possibly been prepared to handle even with his extensive experience in Europe. At least he's still going to get a lot of money out of the deal.

As for the Cavs, they finally have one of their own to run the sidelines. No more excuses. Tyronn Lue (a KC native :D) has been one of the league's top assistants since he retired. If the players don't trust him to run it right then frankly, the team deserves to fail in their title pursuit. Hell, I'd say they arguably do just for the ill-treatment of Blatt but again, I don't immediately perceive that to be on the players but on the General Manager.

I'm sure all sorts of dirty details about this dismissal will soon appear.

Guess they really needed that spotlight back on Cleveland :lol:
:|
ImageImage

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:15 pm

Well, Cleveland loses its first game without Blatt. If this continues, it should be interesting to see the fall out from this.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:12 am

Well, that was a pretty fun All-Star weekend even despite all of the Kobe junk
ImageImage

fullMETAL
Belt-Designing Crayonicorn

Postby fullMETAL » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:11 am

Jason Sudeikis for MVP of the Celebrity game, yo
Escargot in 5 minutes or your dignity back!

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:54 pm

Stephen Curry is beyond ridiculous and I mean that in a good way. He's insane. Just when I think he's done it all, he does another jaw dropping performance.