TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME: THE BASEBALL THREAD!!!

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME: THE BASEBALL THREAD!!!

Postby El Marsh » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:47 am

That really is the best title for this thread so kudos to whoever originated it.
:D

Well, we have playoff baseball tonight with the AL Wildcard game. I'm kind of indifferent about who plays my beloved Royals after the game tonight but Houston probably "scares" me a bit more than the Yankees. Tough stuff with C.C. Sabathia but he undoubtedly did the best thing for himself, his family, and his teammates. I wish him the best with his treatment.

My lifelong #2 team (inherited from mother) is the Chicago Cubs who play in the NL Wildcard on Wednesday. I most certainly want them to advance but in the seemingly likely (they ARE the Cubs and we love them win or lose) event that they don't, I'm all for Pittsburgh running the table as Cutch is cool as heck and manager Clint Hurdle is one of my very favorite people in baseball.

Go Royals!
Go Cubbies!

May they meet in the "End of the World" Series in a few weeks :lol:
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

450splash
Community Member

Re: TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME: THE BASEBALL THREAD!!!

Postby 450splash » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:49 am

Well, the NL wildcard winner takes on my Cardinals. I hadn't heard if Molina will be available for the DS or not. If he isn't, I think their opponent will have a better chance, of course...even if it is the Cubs. :) To be honest, I would also like to see the Mets do well. They don't get here too often, and I detest the Dodgers, so I hope the Mets destroy them.
Now 98% rash-free!

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:15 pm

Just tagging this thread to follow in "my posts."

LaddWO
Community Member

Postby LaddWO » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:57 am

Cool thread. Just in time for the postseason.

Zealot
Galastream Owner

OCTOBER! - The Baseball Thread

Postby Zealot » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:00 am

Bucs and Cubs

Prepare for a blackout.
ImageImage ImageImage

450splash
Community Member

Postby 450splash » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:05 am

One thing I wasn't expecting was a bench-clearing brawl. I don't even think that was intentional, but there you go.
Now 98% rash-free!

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:08 am

Smartass punk plunked 2 of our guys. You really think that they would let that shit slide?

He got what he deserved.
ImageImage ImageImage

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:16 am

That whole sequence was wild.
Kind of a shame that it (all 3 HBP) marred an otherwise amazing outing from one of baseball's best this season.
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage

450splash
Community Member

Postby 450splash » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:59 am

Well, I think that Cardinals game was a good game. I'm not just saying that 'cause the Cards won. :) It was a well contested game until the bottom of the 8th.
Now 98% rash-free!

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:35 pm

Baseball breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. - Bart Giamatti, 7th Commissioner of Baseball
ImageImage

450splash
Community Member

Postby 450splash » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:50 am

El Marsh wrote:Baseball breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. - Bart Giamatti, 7th Commissioner of Baseball

That is so true.

Side note: As a Cardinal fan, maybe I shouldn't say this, but I thought it was amusing that Wainwright came in and his first pitch went right out of the yard. Maybe this *is* the Cubs' year. After all, they deserve a chance once every 107 years. :D
Now 98% rash-free!

450splash
Community Member

Postby 450splash » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:37 pm

OK, so I'm watching the game 5 of Texas/Toronto. What was that in the 7th that gave the Rangers the lead? Did he put his bat in the way to deflect the throw back to the pitcher? They let it stand that the Rangers scored? That was so weird.
Now 98% rash-free!

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:44 am

It was a very rarely seen but correct call by the ump. When the catcher throws the ball back to the pitcher, the ball is considered live (ie if the catcher accidentally chucks it into the outfield, the baserunners can run). If the batter had intentionally stuck his bat in the way of the catcher's throw, it's called interference: the ball is dead and the batter is out....but since the batter and his bat were within the batter's box, when the catcher's throw hit his bat and rolled into the playing field, the ball was then live and the runner allowed to run/score.

I think the controversy arose because the home plate umpire initially (and immediately) ruled the ball dead, so Toronto players just stood there while the Texas runner ran home. It was bad umpiring but they did technically make the right call in the end.

The best thing was how it just riled up Toronto, and they smashed Texas for four in the bottom of the seventh. Most exciting, emotional baseball game I've seen in a looooong time.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:01 am

I really wish some of the fans hadn't tried to make a riot out of the thing by throwing litter on the field
No matter how upset you are, that shit is never acceptable and made a fairly likeable fanbase a bit less so.

While I take my hat off to the Jays (and feel for Texas because honestly, they choked the game away), I really can't stand their attitudes. People have talked shit on my Royals all season for displays of emotion but somehow the Jays have gotten a free pass for just as long. I have nothing against the Jays faithful because they're rooting for their team the same as I am but I really, truly dislike the Blue Jays and hope my Royals can find a way to diminish their insane power. Good luck Deni and that other Jays fan here (sorry, I don't remember who it was specifically >_>) but I really want to see my hometown guys take the penant again this year.

May the best team win.

Spoiler: show
and for the love of the gods, please no fights or beanball fests >_<
ImageImage

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:42 am

Toronto sports fans are generally drunken maniacs. You should see Toronto FC matches. :P That being said, raining debris on the field really isn't acceptable.

And what's the objection to displays of emotion? Why would anyone talk shit about the Royals or the Jays players' for being passionate about the game?

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:18 pm

That was a game I will always remember, what a ride! Even my wife got into it, and she hates baseball. go Jays!

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:17 pm

That Rangers runner should have never scored since the play was ruled dead. That being said, Joey Bats's home run was indeed epic. Great game to see.

I'm not surprised with how their fans reacted though. 22 years without a Stanley Cup will do that to a country, so they have to unleash their pent-up aggression on something competitive.
ImageImage ImageImage

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:59 pm

Zealot wrote:
I'm not surprised with how their fans reacted though. 22 years without a Stanley Cup will do that to a country, so they have to unleash their pent-up aggression on something competitive.

A Stanley Cup? Its been longer then 22 for that, although a World Series would be nice soon.... :lol:
I actually was in Toronto for the last 2 wins, what a party that was, still have the hangover...... 8-)

450splash
Community Member

Postby 450splash » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:05 pm

fullbug wrote:A Stanley Cup? Its been longer then 22 for that, although a World Series would be nice soon.... :lol:

Didn't the Maple Leafs win the Cup in the mid-90's? I thought they did, at any rate.
Now 98% rash-free!

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:49 pm

450splash wrote:
Didn't the Maple Leafs win the Cup in the mid-90's? I thought they did, at any rate.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, last was in 67, before I was even born.....
I was not laughing so much at you, just of the thought of the Leafs winning a cup...... 8-)

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:00 am

The Maple Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967. The last Canadian team to win was Montreal in 1993.
ImageImage ImageImage

450splash
Community Member

Postby 450splash » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:43 am

Zealot wrote: The last Canadian team to win was Montreal in 1993.

OK, that must have been what I was thinking of. Thanks, Zealot.
Now 98% rash-free!

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:17 pm

Wow, what an ass kicking by KC to the Jays tonight, I am very depressed.....

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:47 am

Yep, it's just a technicality now, the series is over. The Jays simply cannot win 3 games straight after tonight's demoralizing loss and extensive use of the bullpen. I had my suspicions that Kansas' pitching would be good enough to quiet the Jays biggest hitters, but I didn't expect our pitchers to get lit up so badly. Even the game that the Jays won they gave up 8 runs.

Congrats to Kansas, good luck against the Mets.