NFL 2017: PLEASE STAND AS WE SALUTE...... TOUCHDOWN!!! THE NFL THREAD

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Re: BWAHAHAHAHA HE'S FINALLY GONE! aka TOUCHDOWN!!! THE NFL THREAD

Postby Zealot » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:39 pm

A preliminary design for Washington's new stadium has a moat circling it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-reds ... ave-a-moat

So you would have to cross a body of water in order to defeat the Redskins?

Where have I heard that one before?
ImageImage ImageImage

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:19 pm

You know, the new marriage of the woeful Cleveland Browns and oft-injured quarterback Robert Griffin III will get all sorts of ridicule but honestly, I hope it works out for both. Griffin didn't get a fair shake in Washington and then handled the adversity rather poorly (well, between injuries anyway) and the Browns need someone, anyone, to lead them to respectability. I'm not even saying they need to do the unthinkable and make the playoffs but 7-8 wins would be a great step for them. Sadly, I don't think it will happen as even if Griffin does end up starting, Cleveland let two of its Pro Bowl linemen slip away in free agency and there have been rumblings that the third (future HOF LT Joe Thomas) wants out. Doesn't matter who's back there to throw, you need a solid line to have any success on offense and the quality Browns' line has significantly deteriorated over the last 3 weeks. Cleveland's greatest strength on that side of the ball is now a major question mark. Not good. Then again, I guess they're used to that.
>_<

No offense to any of those dedicated, long-suffering Dawg Pounders who may be lurking about here.
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:29 pm

RGIII must be desperate. He should have waited until training camp for a call to replace an injured QB.

wepner

Postby wepner » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:10 am

orochigeese wrote:Wepner's back!! You pulled a Terry Funk! :D

wepner wrote:I'm coming out of retirement to say that Barkavius Mingo, D'Brickishaw Ferguson, and Haha Clinton-Dix are on the Mount Rushmore of awesome/unusual player names as far as I'm concerned, Dick Butkus or Bronco Nagurski would have to fight it out for the legends position.

Dick Butkus is the Ric Flair of funny names. Multiple champion and everyone nods in respect when it's brought up.

Haha Clinton-Dix is a revelation :shock:

D'Brickishaw Ferguson is a name that I'd tell an edit maker to simplify cause they are doing too much with it.

"Try Brick Shaw."

wepner wrote:Also somehow this year is even more depressing as a 49ers fan than last. I'm all for a good implosion/ self-destruction but just not doing anything is way worse IMO.

I know they had a good run a few years ago but I pretty much resigned myself that we got the best possible performance out of the entire franchise in the 80's and 90's. It was phenomenal and I got to watch it so I'm not complaining :D

I think the Yankees are the only franchise in all pro sports that somehow are able to get multiple golden areas.

I can't honestly imagine seeing another comparable 49ers or Bulls dynasty in my lifetime or ever.

Yeah anyone who likes the 49ers and is at least 30 should probably still count their blessings, you're right about the Yankees though its pretty crazy how many distinct Yankees generations were perennial contenders. But even with them its really funny watching early Seinfeld/Simpsons make jokes about how terrible the Yankees are and that they'll never win anything.

Edited to add the Celtics and Lakers as having more than 2 distinct eras where they were awesome, there are probably others.
ImageImage

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:09 pm

I like the RG3 deal. Pretty low-risk, low-money deal. They also are rumored to take Wentz at pick #2 in the draft. Not a terrible decision especially if they do ship out McCown and get out of that unnecessary salary.
ImageImage ImageImage

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:33 pm

I doubt anyone would want McCown, not even for a 7th rounder. He probably would be released after the draft.

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:10 pm

He's still a solid backup option though. Considering the team decisions lately on backups (Eagles signing Daniel, Bengals protecting McCarron, etc.), I would still say McCown has value. The Browns would be silly to simply cut him and take the hit.
ImageImage ImageImage

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:17 pm

True that. A good backup is always important. Just ask the Dallas Cowboys, who found out the hard way last year.

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:52 am

Thoughts on the NFL schedule?

My Packers is off to a tough start with games at Jacksonville and Minnesota. Should be interesting. I'm still looking at everyone else's.

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:15 am

Screw the schedule. Let's talk about this lopsided trade for the 1st overall pick that the Rams just did.

I understand you want to ignite what is a mostly apathetic fanbase in L.A., but didn't this team do the same trade years ago on the opposite side of the deal?

Did they not learn anything from Washington?

They better hope Wentz is the real deal or they'll just be setting themselves back for a good, long time.
ImageImage ImageImage

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:31 am

Who says they are taking Wentz? Jared Goff is in the conversation too. Personally, I feel neither QB are worthy of top 5 picks. The Rams will be over reaching big time. Cleveland might be over reaching too if they take one or the other.

If I was Cleveland, I'd trade down with a team that doesn't need a QB. They can still get their man and an extra pick with it to boot.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:39 am

I think it's a trade that doesn't happen if the Rams stay in St. Louis.

It seems like an "all-in" type deal to generate interest in the franchise. The Rams have no choice but to fly or die with it but regardless of how it pans out, it has people's attention. Say what you will about Los Angeles's alleged craving of an NFL franchise, people don't exactly seem to be knocking down the gates to welcome the Rams back, so a super ballsy move that could potentially lead to a high reward is just what their fortune needed.

As much pressure that's on LA, it's really Tennessee who is in the position of "no excuses." IIRC, they have like 6 picks in the first 3 or 4 rounds this year. They HAVE to find an impact player with one of those, if not a couple.
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:16 pm

Timberwolf wrote:Who says they are taking Wentz? Jared Goff is in the conversation too. Personally, I feel neither QB are worthy of top 5 picks. The Rams will be over reaching big time. Cleveland might be over reaching too if they take one or the other.

If I was Cleveland, I'd trade down with a team that doesn't need a QB. They can still get their man and an extra pick with it to boot.

A lot of rumors from scouts and reporters have been saying the Rams LOVE Wentz. I think either way the Rams are reacting. Yes, they are in a position with a re-welcoming of an old fan base were they feel compelled to immediately satiate their need for a playoff caliber team. However, I don't believe Wentz or Goff strike me as a franchise quarterback. The benefit for both guys however is that they don't have to have their careers get immediately derailed by two garbage franchises anymore.

As for the Browns trading down? MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. The Eagles move up in exchange for a boatload of picks over the next 2 drafts.

Big win for Cleveland here as they feel content to get what they can out of RGIII before jumping the gun again with their perennial crap 1st round picks. Now that they are out of the QB race, they can actually focus on positions that really need fixing.

Philly though is in a similar position like the Rams. It's not as much location though as it is fixing what Chip Kelly fucked up. They want to reestablish confidence in what is a notoriously critical sports city.
ImageImage ImageImage

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:51 am

Just a few draft thoughts:

The whole Laremy Tunsil scenario is beyond ridiculous. Regardless of when these events happened, it really hurts the guy's character. Aside from that, it has to be a clear hacking unless the guy is borderline mad. This could easily blow up in the Dolphins' face which would make sense since their inept front office likes to acquire such talent to make them look more like a mockery than they already are. Idiot teams, man.

Steal of the night in my opinion was the Jags taking Jalen Ramsey after the Cowboys jumped the gun on Zeke Elliot. That's a mistake in my opinion. I just don't see him being a stud RB. I feel like the Jags are really going to make some noise this season, boys.

The Browns played super smart in this draft. They traded down again probably because Zeke got off the board. Can't complain about that or the drafting of Corey Coleman. Fills a huge need. I'm liking the decision-making by their office so far and that's a scary thing to say. They should be hella busy on day 2.

Cincy couldn't grab any of the 4 1st round WRs, so they chose instead to steal a pick away from the Steelers in CB William Jackson. This in turn forced the Steelers to reach for Artie Burns. Obviously, it fills a huge need, but I'm still a bit salty on the whole deal. Fucking Cincy. :angrymob:

Thank goodness the 49ers gave us pretty much the only dumbass move of first round in trading a boatload of picks to reach for a 3rd round prospect guard. If it wasn't for the Browns, people would be talking about how much of a joke this franchise has become. Guess that's what happens when your GM and owner have no general concept of how football works.
ImageImage ImageImage

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:18 am

I feel that if Elliot can stay healthy, he'll do some great things in Dallas.
I think he was drafted a tad high but he is probably the most complete (running, receiving, blocking, awareness, etc) to come out of the draft in some time. He's not an elite Adrian Peterson type runner or as great a receiver as a Matt Forte but he has the potential to be as productive as each with his wide skillset, AND he blocks (something that is criminally undervalued in RBs). I think he fills a major need in Dallas and health pending, should contribute immediately. Rumor has it they're trading up in Rd 2 to snag a QB to replace Romo (who realistically will be out of the league in a couple of seasons, perhaps after this one if he suffers another major injury). The Cowboys have surpassed the Raiders as joke of the league but if both Elliott and the young QB (provided that's their plan) work out, it could begin a rebuild the likes of which we're now seeing in Oakland. I've NEVER been fond of the Cowboys but I think taking Zeke was good for them in terms of improving the team.
Last edited by El Marsh on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

WVP206
Community Member

Postby WVP206 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:53 am

Best thing I saw about Tunsil so far...
Wario Van Peebles - The Overseer of 3W Wrestling

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:52 am

^I wonder who will get suspended first in the NFL, him or fellow Ole Miss 1st round pick Robert Nkemdiche
ImageImage

ObeySalebote
Pawnshop

Postby ObeySalebote » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:20 pm

Marsh, I forgot you were a fellow Chiefs bro. What'choo think about our draft? It's been pretty compelling to me. I don't ever recall Chiefs dealing picks like this before.

And we got a sweetheart of a deal from TB trading up to take a place kicker

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:25 pm

So far so good.
I really like Jones' potential and that CB seems solid.
What really has me curious are the two receiversvthat they drafted today. One is a problem child but he's fast as hell and supposedly separates well while the other is solid, if unspectacular.
ImageImage

WVP206
Community Member

Postby WVP206 » Sun May 01, 2016 5:22 am

I am really excited about how the Seahawks drafted, made a lot of interesting choices. I'm guessing we are going to be careful with how Rawls heals due to us drafting 3 RBs, would love to get another team to give us a 7th pick for Christine Michael again, or he could very well end up cut.

Image Image

Got a lot of work done (and a lot of work still to go) on both OL and DL, can't be too upset with our choices overall.
I'm really stoked about getting Vannett, we really needed a strong TE to come in and help with our Pro
A really capable Center who can come in and immediately compete for the job (desperately needed)
and as usual in this new era of football in Seattle we are grabbing a ton of great players as UDFA's

Can't wait for mini camps next week!
Wario Van Peebles - The Overseer of 3W Wrestling

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:14 pm

Hey Marsh, think the thread title needs to be updated for the new season? ;)

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Re: NFL 2016: The Kickoffening! aka TOUCHDOWN!!! THE NFL THREAD

Postby El Marsh » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:21 pm

Sure, why not.

It's sort of funny though. I'm eager to see some actual football that counts but I'm not really working myself into a frenzy over anything.
Whatever happens happens I guess.

Also, I really hope Brady's suspension is the last we'll fucking hear about "deflategate."

I think all the old regs know that I can't rightly stomach Brady but even I think it's ridiculous to ban him at this point.
ImageImage

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:11 pm

Even without my heavy anti-Denver bias, I think it's pretty disgusting how the referees in last night's contest effectively allowed the Denver defense to target Cam Newton's head. I know that Newton is the "unchosen one" but still, you can't allow ANY player, at ANY position to take blows to the head like that. Quite honestly, it was disgraceful and tainted what was a really nice showing in the second half by Denver's "rookie" QB. Also, way to protect your star, Carolina. Dude gets his bell rung HARD, is clearly woozy, but WINZ IS EVERYTHANG so they keep him in. :facepalm:
ImageImage

King_of_Kong
Community Member

Postby King_of_Kong » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:09 pm

Stuff like that is probably gonna continue happening, so it's up to the Carolina Panthers defense to start playing with a chip on their shoulders. Their thought process should be like, "Okay. You're gonna do that to OUR quarterback? Fine. We're gonna do this to YOUR quarterback. Let's see who lasts longer."

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:39 am

I think we can all agree that the Bo Jackson Kia commerical is baller as hell.

Also, Terrance Williams is probably the loneliest man in the locker room tonight.
ImageImage ImageImage