Movie Reviews and Discussion

BakFu888
Community Member

Re: Movie Reviews and Discussion

Postby BakFu888 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:51 am

Just after Roger Moore died, all of the Bond movies started showing up on a channel here, and I realized that I hadn't seen many of them save for the fairly recent ones. I've been PVRing them as they come on and watching these old gems. Each Bond actor brings their own flavour to the mix, and even George Lazenby's (On Her Majesty's Secret Service) one-off is interesting in it's own way (he has the BEST down the barrel intro gun pose of all the Bonds...). The older movies are showing their age now, and a lot of people might be put off by how women throw themselves at 007, but they still hold up in a lot of ways, just a lot of fun, GREAT one liners (Bond shoots a dude with a harpoon gun, pins him to a palm tree and says "I think he got the point."), over the top bad guys, but without the synicism of today's action movies. It's been great going back through these movies, Connery and Moore are incredible in these roles, and some of the recognizable faces such as Dame Dianna Rigg (for Game of Thrones fans, the merciless old lady with the matchless wit, Olenna Tyrell) and an AMAZING scrap with none other than High Chief Peter Maivia in You only Live Twice (That is a BIG dude, but he moves like a cat in that scene!). Might be worth going back and checking out if you're a Bond fan... :)

Bonus: Here's that Bond versus the Rock's Gandpa fight scene! :D

https://youtu.be/9iHHQU8FamM

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:44 am

Dinner at Fred's - A rich jerk has car trouble when traveling at Christmas time and is forced to spend a night with a family of eccentric weirdos. It's all incredibly formulaic, like an 80's sitcom...but has a handful of decently funny moments to offset the predictability of it all. Pretty much anything that comes out Kevin McDonald's mouth is gold. 5/10

Star Wars VIII The Last Jedi
- There's some tonally out of place humor, Leia flying through space is dumb as shit, and the entire Finn/Rose mission was entirely pointless and only slowed down the middle of an already-too-long film...but it's still a Star Wars movie with plenty of cool fights and space battles and heroic sacrifices and all that other fun stuff. Let's not forget that these flicks have always been intended as pulp entertainment for the masses, and drop the hand wringing analysis of every single scene. Some of the hysterically over the top outrage being spewed by the fanboys online is borderline retarded IMO. 7.5/10

sonny615
First FPCPP Champion

Postby sonny615 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:24 pm

Passengers - I didn't watch any trailers going into this so I made up my mind as to what to expect based on the poster and the fact that I knew the movie was about someone who wakes up in space ahead of time. I was expecting a higher level of action and suspense. What the movie turned out to be was a love story dealing with a heavy dilemma wrapped up in a space environment. I mean the space part was nice and I was really in the mood for it but the movie could have happened in another time and in a completely different scenario. While I enjoyed watching it, the story itself (other than the dilemma) felt rather predictable and unsophisticated.

Positives:
+ Nice space setting
+ Chris Pratt does his role really nice
+ I like Jennifer Lawrence
+ Michael Sheen is wonderful
+ Interesting dilemma in the center of the film

Negatives:
- Often Predictable
- Could have been more sophisticated
- Felt like a chick flick at times

6.7/10

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:25 am

I don't know how many Michael Jai White fans are kicking' around FPWA, but...

https://youtu.be/Uxx1GgtpREg

I am STOKED for this, what a nice surprise (you jive ass, rat soup eatin', no business, born insecure, junkyard mutha f$&kas!). 8-)

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:54 pm

Loving Vincent- not only is the film an extraordinary technical achievement in filmmaking but it's actually a very well-told and well-acted original story about the circumstances surrounding the death of Vincent Van Gogh at the premature age of 37. There has only been one animated film that so thoroughly enthralled me with it's design, animation, and story and that's the criminally underrated "Chico and Rita." Touted as the world's "First Fully Painted Feature Film," Loving Vincent was created by a team of 125 artists from twenty different countries, together producing 65,000 oil paintings in the style of Van Gogh, a process that combined with the initial filming (of which the film was "painted over") took four years to produce. If you have any appreciation for art, history, mystery, Van Gogh, or the medium of film itself, please take the time to see this wonderful film for yourself.
10/10

My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:17 am

Just picked up the live action version of Blade of the Immortal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exLJtcfxKHg

Also put my order in for the Ichi the Killer Remastered Edition coming next month
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmHxzsbAZZc

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:48 am

El Marsh wrote:Loving Vincent

wow those images are amazing

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:19 pm

It just dawned on me that Josh Brolin will be appearing in major roles in two Marvel movies (one produced by Fox) in successive months, first as Cable in next week's "Deadpool 2" and then in full (after being teased and referenced for a few years) as Thanos in "Avengers: Infinity War."

He sure has come a long way from "The Goonies" :lol:
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Wed May 16, 2018 11:49 pm

Not digging the new Predator trailer at all.

450splash
Community Member

Postby 450splash » Sun May 20, 2018 9:03 pm

Nth wrote:Not digging the new Predator trailer at all.

100% agree. I love the original, but I'm not sure I will even see this in the theater. Frankly, it's a bit like the Terminator series to me: The first movie is great, but it just kept getting sillier with each new one.
Even through the darkest days, this fire burns always.

TheDenizen
Community Member

Postby TheDenizen » Mon May 21, 2018 1:51 am

Eaten Alive! The Rise and Fall of the Italian Cannibal Film - An interesting doc about the life cycle of the cannibal subgenre in Italy, mixing archival footage and photos with recent interviews of several actors and directors. It strikes a good balance between anecdotes about the filming of many of the best known examples, and discussion of their place in the wider spectrum of Italian horror films. Not a bad resource if you're interested in this sort of extreme exploitation. 7/10

Freaked
- Randy Quaid as a psycho redneck running a freakshow in a tiny South American nation, using toxic chemicals to turn people into his attractions. A totally bizarre mix of influences, incorporating everything from Airplane-like sight gag barrages to Garbage Pail Kids style grossout humor and gore. Has some interesting creature effects/puppet work, but the standout feature has to be the rockin' soundtrack featuring bands like Butthole Surfers, Parliament Funkadelic and Blind Idiot God. 7/10

Green Room
- A bunch of punk rockers accidentally see the aftermath of a murder and find themselves beseiged by a gang of neo-Nazis led by a sinister Patrick Stewart. Gritty and appropriately brutal, it offers up plenty of suspense and nasty gore. Some of the music is really good too, though a band of stringy teenagers playing the Dead Kennedys song "Nazi Punks Fuck Off" to a room full of militant skinheads would've been strung up before their set ended. Just saying. 7.5/10

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Sat May 26, 2018 3:07 am

Saw Deadpool 2 yesterday, I really enjoyed it, more of the same stuff from the first one, and I was happy about one of the bad guys who was finally featured in a marvel movie (no spoilers for anyone who still wants to see it... :) ). Lots of references to other marvel stories, making up for past transgressions using Cable's time machine ( :twisted: ), and buckets of blood and funny stuff. I really liked Domino (Zazzy Beetz) and hope the character (and the actress!) end up in future Marvel endeavours. Good stuff top to bottom.

One thing I realized, and maybe I missed it in the first movie, is that Deadpool reminds me a LOT of Jim Carrey's Mask character. I half expected him to end up in a zoot suit, eye balls popping out of his head, saying shit like "somebody STOP ME!!!". It's not a bad thing, but I just kept thinking of the mask toward the end of the movie.

PS: I did like winter soldier reference :)