The last match you watched...

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

The last match you watched...

Postby Old Baby » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Been going slowly through the All Japan archive, and when I say slowly I mean like a match every day or two.

Just finished watching Antonio Inoki and Dory Funk Jr. roll around for an hour in 1970.

This match was boring as hell but gave me a real appreciation for how much better the selling was in the olden days.

htiman
Community Member

Re: The last match you watched...

Postby htiman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:21 pm

CM Punk vs. Undertaker from a SD in 2010.

Browsing through the Network, I had the random thought to see if these two had been in a match. This was the latest match that came up, and it was fun. Short but action packed and with some great selling from Punk (when Undertaker did his classic sit up Punk looked like his life had just flashed before his eyes :lol: ). Short but sweet match.

Rangerh
Community Member

Postby Rangerh » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:34 pm

Vader vs Ric Flair at Starrcade 93 as part of "my old favorites" nostalgia run of rewatching old matches :)

And again it didn't disapoint, Flair was still playing the face role instead of the usual cheating heel role and was good at it in what was built as a david vs goliath story.

I remember that Starrcade 93 had a bunch of boring matches, probably one of the worst Starrcade on that point, but it did a very good job in building up the Vader vs Flair story, with segment of Flair leaving his house and family as if he was not going to be able to come back, they even made a recap of his career as if he was going to end there (as his career was on the line as a stipulation), the promo with Vader being an unstoppable maching of destruction etc... everything done to really make you root for Flair as a face in a match there was no way from which he would come out alive.

Still great and worth watching.

roobye
Community Member

Postby roobye » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:23 am

I watch matches while getting my run in on the treadmill. Rarely watch anything post-1990.

Tonight I watched the '83 Nick Bockwinkel vs. Hulk Hogan "Super Sunday" match from St. Paul, and the '85 Ric Flair vs. Harley Race match from the Meadowlands.

Jetlag
Community Member

Postby Jetlag » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:50 pm

Recently, I've been watching a lot of old JWP (before the 1992 split) and WING. A lot of WING has been put on YouTube, including handheld shows where you can actually watch the full matches, and I'm enjoying it a lot. WING has a reputation for being a deathmatch promotion, but it had a nice variety, as they had their own young guys, shootstylists, puerto ricans, luchadores and US territory guys. I especially like the matches their juniors were having, as they would wrestle in such a way that everything felt like it was made up on the spot, no choreographed spots at all (which is something that always annoys me in junior wrestling).

The most impressive match I've seen recently is this Onita/Tarzan Goto match from 1991 -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6JvHx4IreM

FMW is famous for exploding deathmatches, but this match had only some chairs and a table, and it was absolutely crazy. These guys were killing eachother non stop, headbutts, stiff punches and lariats, Onita absolutely nuking Goto with some of the sickest powerbombs I've ever seen. Go watch it if you wanna see how crazy and intense pro wrestling can be.

DM_PSX
Community Member

Postby DM_PSX » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:36 am

Jetlag wrote:FMW is famous for exploding deathmatches, but this match had only some chairs and a table, and it was absolutely crazy. These guys were killing eachother non stop, headbutts, stiff punches and lariats, Onita absolutely nuking Goto with some of the sickest powerbombs I've ever seen. Go watch it if you wanna see how crazy and intense pro wrestling can be.

I loved watching FMW. Lots of intense rivalries, and the best Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka stuff. I didn't care for the garbage wrestling most of the time, but they handled characters and feuds really well. I loved how they would end feuds with both guys talking it out in the ring afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLwdSpTTALA

I've been slowly binge watching Lucha Underground. The first few episodes are slow and rough, but then it picks up and turns into something great. The roster is a great collection of unique characters and has the FPWA feel to it. The atmosphere of the temple is really cool, and I love the champion sitting on a throne at the top and overlooking the matches.

I've been falling asleep to old episodes of Stampede Wrestling or Gorgeous George matches.

kikrusher99
Community Member

Postby kikrusher99 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:04 am

I love FMW. I only wish I'd known of it while in the 90s.

Had anybody checked out the history of FMW podcasts with Bahu? I forget the hosts name. They're breaking down the promotion a half a year per podcast. They also brought up (and will talk more about it when they get there chronologically) W*ING saying how it was basically formed because Onita never wanted to put other people over. It's a good listen.

[Indie Wrestling INTL] The History of FMW with Bahu Episode 1: [...]
http://podplayer.net/#/?id=40532623 via @PodcastAddict

Rangerh
Community Member

Postby Rangerh » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:19 pm

Recently watched Kana vs Meiko Satomura from Kana Pro Mania in 2014.
And i found this experience very interesting in how to mix the pro wrestling with some other art form.

The main point of that match was the presentation , there's a musician that play some japanese traditional music during the whole match, the whole arena is filled with some blue lighting that add to the theatric atmosphere (and Kana added some banding on her attire that has some phosphorescence with that light, a cool visual effect).

For the match itself, it was very good both wrestlers did an excellent performance, maybe a bit too much strikes (they must have felt it the day after) with fewer grappling but it's still a very good one with some cool back and forth and reversals from those 2 brillant performers.

Overall it's a very refreshing way to watch wrestling as if it was some theatre play, very recommended for the different spectating experience the music and lighting provide that really add to the match.

Malcolmthebeast
Community Member

Postby Malcolmthebeast » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:21 pm

Seeing I'm a Bullet Club fan, I've purchased the NJPWWorld network for less than $9.99 (because Fuck WWE) and started going through every Bullet Club match from day one.

The last match I watched was a tag team match between Bullet Club (Gallows and Anderson) and Killer Elite Squad (Davey Boy Smith Jr. and Lance Archer). Needless to say, Gallows and Anderson were better off in NJPW than WWE.
Fuck Ategai. Don't settle for bullshit fictional wrestling moves that disrespects a wrestler who already paid his dues.
Fuck Yukes. They still make fake wrestling games for WWE fans.
Skulls all day (shout out to the Bullet Club)!! #HeelTurn

kikrusher99
Community Member

Postby kikrusher99 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:05 pm

Um, you're gonna see that gun and gallows matches run thin after a bit. But early Devitt in the club was great and AJ's run was incredible.

saiyanblade84
Community Member

Postby saiyanblade84 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:51 am

Zandig vs Brain Damage in CZW

fullMETAL
Belt-Designing Crayonicorn

Postby fullMETAL » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:02 pm

Last night I watched Su Yung vs. Rachel Ellering in WWR to qualify for the Mae Young Classic.
I really think Su Yung should've won that match, she had everything going on in it. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBE8vgJuPQo

Thunder Rosa's commentary left a lot to be desired though.
Escargot in 5 minutes or your dignity back!

Malcolmthebeast
Community Member

Postby Malcolmthebeast » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:00 am

Marty Scurll vs Will Ospreay.

I never thought that match would be that good. I was proven wrong.

And congrats to Jericho for making the move to face Omega at Wrestle Kingdom 12.
Fuck Ategai. Don't settle for bullshit fictional wrestling moves that disrespects a wrestler who already paid his dues.

BakFu888

Postby BakFu888 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:40 am

AJ Styles vs Takahashi G1 Climax 25 (2015) on the NJPW show featured on the Fight Network. I've seen it before, but somehow I notice something new every time I watch it.

soak314
Community Member

Postby soak314 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:32 pm

Rangerh wrote:Recently watched Kana vs Meiko Satomura from Kana Pro Mania in 2014.
And i found this experience very interesting in how to mix the pro wrestling with some other art form.

The main point of that match was the presentation , there's a musician that play some japanese traditional music during the whole match, the whole arena is filled with some blue lighting that add to the theatric atmosphere (and Kana added some banding on her attire that has some phosphorescence with that light, a cool visual effect).

For the match itself, it was very good both wrestlers did an excellent performance, maybe a bit too much strikes (they must have felt it the day after) with fewer grappling but it's still a very good one with some cool back and forth and reversals from those 2 brillant performers.

Overall it's a very refreshing way to watch wrestling as if it was some theatre play, very recommended for the different spectating experience the music and lighting provide that really add to the match.

Sounds like something i woulda gunned for if I had ever made it to my debut. This kinda stuff is a really cool side effect of wrestling in a country that treats it like performance art. Definitely gonna give this a watch

Malcolmthebeast
Community Member

Postby Malcolmthebeast » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:01 pm

Kazuchika Okada vs AJ Styles at Wrestling Dontaku 2014 for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship.

I really thought Okada was going to lose via submission. He stayed in that match until the very end
Spoiler: show
The end where Yujiro Takahashi showed up and destroyed Okada, helping out AJ in the process, on the birthday of the Bullet Club.

Rangerh
Community Member

Postby Rangerh » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:34 pm

Watched Ric Flair vs. Lex Luger at WrestleWar 1990: Wild Thing

This originally happened during the years in which only WWF had matches aired in my country, so i obviously couldn't watch this WCW match when it happened.
And so it slowly fell down under my radar, and with the age of the internet i didn't even knew it existed.
So i finally got my hands on it after reading about this match on a wrestling board, and after a watch i was really shocked, because i didn't expected it to be that good for a match i had never heard about before.

It's one of those matches that people thinking Luger wasn't a very good wrestler should watch, because in this one both he and Flair tell the story masterfully, Luger as some superhero and Flair cheating like crazy and doing his best for turning the crowd against him like a true comic book villain.

It was a fantastic example on how classic wrestling was able to tell great stories without having to rely on death defying wrestling techniques at all out of a couple of spots here, as i was coming from watching a couple of G1 Climax 2015 and 2016 matches i was worried if watching Luger vs Flair so soon after would be detrimental to its quality (due to it going to be obviously slower paced), but it was so well done that my fears were for nothing and i loved that match as much as i did with with the Tanahashi vs Okada from G1 i watched before).

I had read that some people think the match was great because Flair carried Luger, but after watching i disagree, Luger selling is great , his character work is flawless on this match and he connects with the fans and drag them behind him, you can see that he really worked a lot to deliver a fantastic story with Flair there.
Flair did a fantastic cheating heel performance here too.

Luger and Flair had an incredible chemistry in that match, and the side cast of wounded Sting and Woman ( Nancy Benoit , may she be at peace in Heaven ) added some nice turns into the drama playing in the ring.

I'm not fan of the ending, but it was servicable to protect both guys for further development.
Definitively recommended as one of the best classic wrestling match.

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Postby Old Baby » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Luger's best work was in '89-'90. His promos were the best thing going and he was on fire in the ring. He was the best heel in the business in '89, IMO and had awesome matches with Steamboat and Brian Pillman later in the year. He was never very graceful and didn't have a very deep moveset, but at that point in his career he was telling a story as well as anyone in the business and better than most.

AndreTheShadow
Community Member

Postby AndreTheShadow » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:28 pm

I know it's not wrasslin', but I've recently gotten deep into Sumo wrestling through a channel on youtube. It's the shit.

If anyone's interested, the channel is by a guy called Robert Mensing, and it has day-by-day highlights of all the most recent Sumo bashos. I've started to pick up a bit of the strategy, and it's all pretty cool. Keep your eyes on a guy called Hakuho, one of the current Yokozuna. He's a fuckin' beast, and if it wasn't for an incorrectly called false start, he would have gone undefeated at the last tournament.

Wrasslin' wise, I've been watching some lucha just to get a feel for what old-school lucha was like.

DM_PSX
Community Member

Postby DM_PSX » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:33 pm

I had an old Saturday Night's Main Event on in the background and I was watching Andre The Giant face Macho Man. There was so much distraction going on from Heenan trying to find Jake's snake ringside, and Jake himself coming out. It made me sad, because I realized it was all smoke and mirrors to hide that Andre was in so much pain and could barely move. He needed to hold onto the ring ropes just to stay upright, and they used him being afraid of snakes to cover that he would collapse in the aisle trying to walk away from the ring. :(