General Wrasslin' Discussion

Love Wilcox
Community Member

Re: General Wrasslin' Discussion

Postby Love Wilcox » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:26 pm

God damn AJ Styles is so good right now. That running takedown on one of the Singh brothers is my favourite thing in wrestling at the moment :D
My original edits: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1140

forties2002
Community Member

Postby forties2002 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Zealot wrote:You will all enjoy it. Great documentary.

Very good documentary. Keepin it on my DVR list.
Whoop that trick

ninjabrute
Community Member

Postby ninjabrute » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:46 pm

I just started watching Dragon Gate for the first time ever. Started with the 8/8 show at Korakuen. Any pointers for a DG newb? Who to pay extra attention to. who to skip, what shows to absolutely not miss, etc?

kikrusher99
Community Member

Postby kikrusher99 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:57 am

ninjabrute wrote:I just started watching Dragon Gate for the first time ever. Started with the 8/8 show at Korakuen. Any pointers for a DG newb? Who to pay extra attention to. who to skip, what shows to absolutely not miss, etc?

I don't follow but I have some resources that might help. This site helps explain the angles. http://www.iheartdg.com

I'd also suggest the open the voice gate podcast from voices of wrestling. http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/catego ... oice-gate/

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:38 am

ninjabrute wrote:I just started watching Dragon Gate for the first time ever. Started with the 8/8 show at Korakuen. Any pointers for a DG newb? Who to pay extra attention to. who to skip, what shows to absolutely not miss, etc?

DG is basically the reason "Lucharesu" was ever a word. Be ready for a heavy Junior theme (unless they ninja-ed me and are working more balanced nowadays). Neville (as PAC) and Tozawa are from here if that gives any inclination of a workrate.

As for who to watch, I haven't watched in a while so I can't answer that too well, although CIMA is almost always a strong contender for their Ace.

ninjabrute
Community Member

Postby ninjabrute » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanks guys. I had been told about that site already and its pretty great. Love the fact that the guy who does that site also has a DG collection in the workshop for FPW.

Rangerh
Community Member

Postby Rangerh » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:19 am

Spotted this very interesting documentary from the early nineties (the uploader made the english subtitles) about All Japan Women, with several of the all time great featured (Bull Nakano, Aja Kong, Manami Toyota ... ) that were working for that promotion at the time.
Really excellent and recommended watch for what was women wrestling in Japan in that era
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hZDuYwoGTw

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:17 pm

So the Great And Terrible Ellsworth has been released by WWE

Kind of weird that his last week in the company saw him getting beaten by roughly the entire women's division but w/e.

A guy who spent so long doing his own thing inexplicably made it to the biggest company in the world and a fun, if not entirely memorable year-long run with the company. I'm guessing he has zero regrets about his time there. Kind of sucks for Carmella though. Those two really worked well as.....whatever they were lol and she's just not interesting enough on her own, even with her Money in the Bank Case (which he literally won for her).
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

Rangerh
Community Member

Postby Rangerh » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:51 pm

Rewatched a couple of WK10 matches but this time with the english commentary by Jim Ross.

I'm not an english speaker so both the japanese or english commentary are foreign to me so it's the voices tones that contribute to the match atmosphere, but i found really shocking how bad the whole commentary in english has been on those couple of matches i just watched.

I remember reading that unfortunately JR's wife left our world for the heavenly place and that it very obviously has affected him and so it was understandable he does not have the passion he had back in the days in his voice tone anymore, but those badly appropriate comments (making a minor call when there's an obvious match turnpoint happening) really ruin the atmosphere to me.

For those that only watch JR re-comments of NJPW matches, is he improving (a lot) in more recent matches commentary , even if not back to his old self, or should i just keep listening to the fantastic japanese ones ?

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:50 pm

His wife passed early this year, WK10 was Jan 2016. Cant really use the unfortunate event to mask his WK10 announcing. I think he's just highly unfamiliar with Japan's talent and didnt notably read his notes first.

Just watch normal shows in Japanese. They'll get you hyped even if you dont understand them.
However, major events are called by Kevin Kelly in English and he's pretty solid in his NJPW calling.

Rangerh
Community Member

Postby Rangerh » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:11 am

I thought JR was re-commenting those older WK, as i remember hearing other people on the WK11 commentary, i didn't knew he was already on them back in 2016.

Anyways, the non-JR time i watched with the english commentary was on WK11, i don't know if that Kevin Kelly was involved as i have no idea who those guys were, but the commentary was very servicable and appropriate to get along the match stakes.

I'm much more used to the japanese commentary when watching njpw or ajpw matches from the last couple of decades and probably why i felt so let down by JR performance in those couple of matches, i just wanted to give a try to the english version of the modern commentary as i had memories of JR doing such a good job back in the day.
Will keep up with the japanese commentary then.

DreFPW
Community Member

Postby DreFPW » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:04 am

BREAKING NEWS:

PAIGE IS BACK IN WWE AS PART OF RAW, MANDY ROSE AND SONYA DEVILLE CALLED UP TO MAIN ROSTER

DreFPW
Community Member

Postby DreFPW » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:02 am

BREAKING NEWS:

Ruby Riot, Liv Morgan and Sarah Logan got called up as part of the SmackDown LIVE Women's Division