General Wrasslin' Discussion

Love Wilcox
Community Member

Re: General Wrasslin' Discussion

Postby Love Wilcox » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:26 pm

God damn AJ Styles is so good right now. That running takedown on one of the Singh brothers is my favourite thing in wrestling at the moment :D
My original edits: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1140

forties2002
Community Member

Postby forties2002 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Zealot wrote:You will all enjoy it. Great documentary.

Very good documentary. Keepin it on my DVR list.
Whoop that trick

ninjabrute
Community Member

Postby ninjabrute » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:46 pm

I just started watching Dragon Gate for the first time ever. Started with the 8/8 show at Korakuen. Any pointers for a DG newb? Who to pay extra attention to. who to skip, what shows to absolutely not miss, etc?

kikrusher99
Community Member

Postby kikrusher99 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:57 am

ninjabrute wrote:I just started watching Dragon Gate for the first time ever. Started with the 8/8 show at Korakuen. Any pointers for a DG newb? Who to pay extra attention to. who to skip, what shows to absolutely not miss, etc?

I don't follow but I have some resources that might help. This site helps explain the angles. http://www.iheartdg.com

I'd also suggest the open the voice gate podcast from voices of wrestling. http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/catego ... oice-gate/

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:38 am

ninjabrute wrote:I just started watching Dragon Gate for the first time ever. Started with the 8/8 show at Korakuen. Any pointers for a DG newb? Who to pay extra attention to. who to skip, what shows to absolutely not miss, etc?

DG is basically the reason "Lucharesu" was ever a word. Be ready for a heavy Junior theme (unless they ninja-ed me and are working more balanced nowadays). Neville (as PAC) and Tozawa are from here if that gives any inclination of a workrate.

As for who to watch, I haven't watched in a while so I can't answer that too well, although CIMA is almost always a strong contender for their Ace.

ninjabrute
Community Member

Postby ninjabrute » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanks guys. I had been told about that site already and its pretty great. Love the fact that the guy who does that site also has a DG collection in the workshop for FPW.

Rangerh
Community Member

Postby Rangerh » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:19 am

Spotted this very interesting documentary from the early nineties (the uploader made the english subtitles) about All Japan Women, with several of the all time great featured (Bull Nakano, Aja Kong, Manami Toyota ... ) that were working for that promotion at the time.
Really excellent and recommended watch for what was women wrestling in Japan in that era
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hZDuYwoGTw

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:17 pm

So the Great And Terrible Ellsworth has been released by WWE

Kind of weird that his last week in the company saw him getting beaten by roughly the entire women's division but w/e.

A guy who spent so long doing his own thing inexplicably made it to the biggest company in the world and a fun, if not entirely memorable year-long run with the company. I'm guessing he has zero regrets about his time there. Kind of sucks for Carmella though. Those two really worked well as.....whatever they were lol and she's just not interesting enough on her own, even with her Money in the Bank Case (which he literally won for her).
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

Rangerh
Community Member

Postby Rangerh » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:51 pm

Rewatched a couple of WK10 matches but this time with the english commentary by Jim Ross.

I'm not an english speaker so both the japanese or english commentary are foreign to me so it's the voices tones that contribute to the match atmosphere, but i found really shocking how bad the whole commentary in english has been on those couple of matches i just watched.

I remember reading that unfortunately JR's wife left our world for the heavenly place and that it very obviously has affected him and so it was understandable he does not have the passion he had back in the days in his voice tone anymore, but those badly appropriate comments (making a minor call when there's an obvious match turnpoint happening) really ruin the atmosphere to me.

For those that only watch JR re-comments of NJPW matches, is he improving (a lot) in more recent matches commentary , even if not back to his old self, or should i just keep listening to the fantastic japanese ones ?

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:50 pm

His wife passed early this year, WK10 was Jan 2016. Cant really use the unfortunate event to mask his WK10 announcing. I think he's just highly unfamiliar with Japan's talent and didnt notably read his notes first.

Just watch normal shows in Japanese. They'll get you hyped even if you dont understand them.
However, major events are called by Kevin Kelly in English and he's pretty solid in his NJPW calling.

Rangerh
Community Member

Postby Rangerh » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:11 am

I thought JR was re-commenting those older WK, as i remember hearing other people on the WK11 commentary, i didn't knew he was already on them back in 2016.

Anyways, the non-JR time i watched with the english commentary was on WK11, i don't know if that Kevin Kelly was involved as i have no idea who those guys were, but the commentary was very servicable and appropriate to get along the match stakes.

I'm much more used to the japanese commentary when watching njpw or ajpw matches from the last couple of decades and probably why i felt so let down by JR performance in those couple of matches, i just wanted to give a try to the english version of the modern commentary as i had memories of JR doing such a good job back in the day.
Will keep up with the japanese commentary then.

DreFPW
Community Member

Postby DreFPW » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:04 am

BREAKING NEWS:

PAIGE IS BACK IN WWE AS PART OF RAW, MANDY ROSE AND SONYA DEVILLE CALLED UP TO MAIN ROSTER

DreFPW
Community Member

Postby DreFPW » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:02 am

BREAKING NEWS:

Ruby Riot, Liv Morgan and Sarah Logan got called up as part of the SmackDown LIVE Women's Division

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:03 am

Check out Rock's new tattoo, pretty cool looking!

After approximately 30 hours of tattooing (4 sessions) with my good bud and iconic artist @nikkohurtado, the story of my skull is complete. Flow of positive energy is constant thru the breathe of life. Horns always positioned forward. Not up, but forward - representing forward progress and always at the ready to dig in and dig deep. Eye is the mana - the spirit and the power. It’s everything. It’s where I draw my strength from all things I love and protect. As with my Polynesian tattoo on the left side of body, the symbolic mana lays over my heart. We all have mana. Our strength. You just have to find it.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:22 pm

Rich Swann has been arrested and charged with assault and battery, kidnapping, and false imprisonment against his wife, Indy wrestler Su Yung.

I don't know the circumstances but those charges are utterly disturbing. I can't say that I'm very familiar with her but as with any victim of domestic violence, I sincerely hope that she has a strong and healthy recovery. Nobody should have to endure something like that.
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

SpiderFab4
Community Member

Postby SpiderFab4 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:03 am

El Marsh wrote:Rich Swann has been arrested and charged with assault and battery, kidnapping, and false imprisonment against his wife, Indy wrestler Su Yung.

I don't know the circumstances but those charges are utterly disturbing. I can't say that I'm very familiar with her but as with any victim of domestic violence, I sincerely hope that she has a strong and healthy recovery. Nobody should have to endure something like that.

He's been immediately suspended because of WWE's policy on domestic violence.
Get your Hanes on, lace up your Nikes, grab your Wheaties and your Gatorade and we'll pick up a Big Mac on the way to the ball park.

CP Munk
Community Member

Postby CP Munk » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:11 am

Can any puroresu fans give me a run-down on the state of the major promotions heading into 2018 please?

I know New Japan is doing pretty well, or at least it seems that way with their increased penetration of the US market. All Japan and NOAH both seem to be pale imitations of their former selves; I remain absolutely stunned that Zero-One hasn't folded yet. (Isn't there even a limit to yakuza money?) Dragon Gate seems to still be doing its thing.

BTW, in regard to the earlier post about DG, do yourself a favor and find some Toryumon matches from 2000-2001 (back when they were still affiliated with Ultimo Dragon). Amazing amazing stuff when the key guys were young and could really go.
Almond Free, Acorn Free and Better Than You

Wonderland
Community Member

Postby Wonderland » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:58 pm

I tried watching current WWE. I really wanted to like it. Maybe I'm just an old asshole, but it was unwatchable. In ring action was good (except that fans are more into their phones and wanting to be on camera themselves than the match), but my god anytime anyone had to talk was cringe.

They were all just delivering lines, and only a handful of the world's best actors can do that in any believable way, and world's best actors these are not. Compared to the old shit I've been watching lately, it seems like there was a lot more off the cuff improv and just in the moment talking before. Everything felt so stiff and stifled now.

But a second rope Styles Clash onto another dude was pretty cool. And some of these youngsters can really move and put on a show. Jinder Mahal has a great angry face. But the aesthetic of the whole thing does feel really.... kiddy. And I guess it's passed me by and isn't made for my demographic anymore, so fair enough. Oh well.

Dawnbr3ak3r
ControlFrenzy

Postby Dawnbr3ak3r » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:51 pm

And now you know why I don't really enjoy watching wrestling all that much right now.
The_PR_Dragon wrote:Dragons, Emus, and Wolves are all hearing impaired. Sounds about right.

djkm77
Community Member

Postby djkm77 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:50 am

Wonderland wrote:I tried watching current WWE. I really wanted to like it. Maybe I'm just an old asshole, but it was unwatchable. In ring action was good (except that fans are more into their phones and wanting to be on camera themselves than the match), but my god anytime anyone had to talk was cringe.

They were all just delivering lines, and only a handful of the world's best actors can do that in any believable way, and world's best actors these are not. Compared to the old shit I've been watching lately, it seems like there was a lot more off the cuff improv and just in the moment talking before. Everything felt so stiff and stifled now.

But a second rope Styles Clash onto another dude was pretty cool. And some of these youngsters can really move and put on a show. Jinder Mahal has a great angry face. But the aesthetic of the whole thing does feel really.... kiddy. And I guess it's passed me by and isn't made for my demographic anymore, so fair enough. Oh well.

I agree with everything above. I can watch some really bad wrestling but these last few years have been brutal.

Their cut shots give me headaches. I just watched an entire New Japan young lions show with 1 hard cam and zero announcing and it was easier to watch. I have no idea why they need to cut away from the moment of impact of every move.
"A dollar saved is a dollar wasted." John "Blood" McNally
Links To My Saves
http://www.fpwarena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31
http://www.fpwarena.com/files/djkm77/

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:01 am

Wonderland wrote:Jinder Mahal has a great angry face.

:lol:

Old school-based heels like him used to have a "match build" gimmick against the face challenging them. Stuff like full-nelson challenges or arm wrestling or bikini line competitions or something like that.

Mahal should have his own signature "Face off" segment which would be a staring contest where he has to make the other wrestler look away based on how angry he is. It would be awesome to see him vs. Kane :lol:

Oh, and I'm in the same boat as you. Until Vince can do a better job pretending that every Wrestlemania for now on won't feature Reigns in the main event, I stopped caring about WWE. Suspension of disbelief and immersion in scripted entertainment is totally destroyed when it's 100% obvious what is going to happen. Maybe it's not obvious to Vince's target audience and that's fine. But it's pretty clear what they want and even if I cared more about Reigns, I hate watching the obvious and the obvious not done particularly well.

I still catch Raw and Smackdown every now and then just to keep an eye on things (last time I completely took my eye off wrestling, ECW, the nWo, and DX occurred) but I'm not invested at all anymore.

senator
Community Member

Postby senator » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:19 pm

djkm77 wrote:Their cut shots give me headaches. I just watched an entire New Japan young lions show with 1 hard cam and zero announcing and it was easier to watch. I have no idea why they need to cut away from the moment of impact of every move.

It's funny, they have some of the best performers in the world, but they lack even the slightest bit of confidence in them to be able to bump and sell moves convincingly in HD. And Dunn's MTV "reality" show style jump cuts are truly nauseating in general. Ugly production style, and I'll never get anyone who tries to say that WWE's production is superior to NJPW's more visceral approach. Money and polish can't buy you quality.

orochigeese wrote:
Wonderland wrote:Jinder Mahal has a great angry face.

:lol:

Old school-based heels like him used to have a "match build" gimmick against the face challenging them. Stuff like full-nelson challenges or arm wrestling or bikini line competitions or something like that.

Mahal should have his own signature "Face off" segment which would be a staring contest where he has to make the other wrestler look away based on how angry he is. It would be awesome to see him vs. Kane :lol:

Love this! An angry stare off would be a hilarious segment, especially with Mahal. I'd personally like to see him and HHH "Face Off."

Dawnbr3ak3r
ControlFrenzy

Postby Dawnbr3ak3r » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:42 pm

I don't really know, guys.

I find it a little depressing that I get /way/ more entertainment out of the random sims I run on Fire Pro than I have been from "actual" wrestling lately.

It's all become too predictable. WWE brings in new talent. They don't need it. They should be using the talent they've already acquired. They could put on plenty of good matches with what they've got if they gave them the chance to. Instead of this, they're hiring more and more guys and gals, but I don't really understand /why/. The casual fan doesn't have a remote idea who any one of them is.

So you have all these marginally talented wrestlers on the roster and they're going nowhere because most of them aren't being used. I can't remember the last time we got a meaningful title match that didn't end in a predictable finish only to go on and have a new champion drop the title to the person they won it against. I thought titles actually meant something, but now they're literally just props, not worth anything. Hell, their primary champion is a guy who shows up twice a year and that's it. There's nothing satisfying about that. That's not a fighting champion, that's just lazy booking. Lesnar isn't interesting to watch anymore - hasn't been fun to watch since his initial run in the company, way back in... 2002/3-ish.

"IT'S SO GOOD THOUGH!" ...but it's not. It's watered down indy-lite wrestling and I loathe everything about it.

Rumor has it that Reigns is winning the Rumble (again) and going on to main event Wrestlemania (again). Apparently Warmachine and Ricochet are rumored to show up sometime in the near future.

/shrug

I don't know why I care anymore.
The_PR_Dragon wrote:Dragons, Emus, and Wolves are all hearing impaired. Sounds about right.

DM_PSX
Community Member

Postby DM_PSX » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:25 pm

Wonderland wrote:I tried watching current WWE. I really wanted to like it. Maybe I'm just an old asshole, but it was unwatchable. In ring action was good (except that fans are more into their phones and wanting to be on camera themselves than the match), but my god anytime anyone had to talk was cringe.

I agree.

The entire atmosphere of WWE is horrible now. It's been stripped down to the lowest possible thing that could still be called wrestling to appease advertisers, which is understandable, because the only reason tv channels exist is to sell ads, like all media outlets.

But then the entire screen and set is covered in LED lights and banners all over the screen and etc.

The wrestlers speak like cartoon characters.

The announce team is really cliche and insincere.

They recycle the same gimmicks, segments, storylines adnauseum.

The rest of the show is nonstop ads for their other products and services.

There is like 9 hours a week of this. It's all very exhausting and pointless.

New Japan, Lucha Underground, and random things I find on youtube are such a breath of fresh air. The new NWA Ten Pounds of Gold series is great. There are channels like 'Monsoon Classic', 'Rassle Reel' and etc that post old NWA and WWE shows.

Edit:
Monsoon Classic
4WrestlingFans
Rassle Reel
Women's Wrestling Japan
LeeFlix

Dawnbr3ak3r
ControlFrenzy

Postby Dawnbr3ak3r » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:20 pm

DM_PSX wrote:New Japan, Lucha Underground, and random things I find on youtube are such a breath of fresh air. The new NWA Ten Pounds of Gold series is great. There are channels like 'Monsoon Classic', 'Rassle Reel' and etc that post old NWA and WWE shows.

Speaking of, I still need to go back and catch up with Lucha Underground - Last I heard they were doing a 4th season, but all the "good" talent - a la Ricochet, Mysterio, and a handful of others are no longer under contract, so I don't know what they're going to do, if anything at all at this point.

I get more entertainment out of YouTube channels like Wrestlelamia, Wrestling with Wreget, and a few others than I do out of regular wrestling programming.

I like NJPW's production, but I'm not big on the King's Road style finisher spam fests - but you could say the same about WWE's booking these days too.

I dunno. I want wrestling to be unpredictable again. I want to be surprised. I want it to feel "real again". I want to be taken aback and believe that the Undertaker calling thunderbolts from the sky is real - I know it's not, but you know what I mean.

We know Roman is going to hog the spotlight and they're gonna ham it up so he gets all the TV time in the world. That dude absolutely needs a new character, like badly. It's too obvious they've been doing the Cena 2.0 thing with him for years. He's not gonna change, which is unfortunate because I could see giving him a greater chance if he was given a character change. I'd be more forgiving of him if he wasn't rammed down our throats. I'd be more forgiving of him if he stopped doing the Superman Punch. He can do the Spear and that big fuckin' Powerbomb and I'd be content.

I hated Strowman when he was with the Wyatt family, and now that he's on his own doing big boy powerhouse stuff every week, I /love/ it. Of course it's silly when he flips a dump truck. Of course it's silly when the ring explodes and falls apart. Give me that and make it mean something.The dude even got crushed by a trash truck a while back and he came back in two weeks, if not less than that. Strowman is basically Superman, ironically enough. I actually like that about him - he doesn't look like Superman, but he's doing these absolutely absurd spots and it's almost believable. He could even rip a skyscraper off it's foundation and I'd eat that shit up. That's why I love wrestling - They're supposed to be characters.

I want to be entertained. Current WWE (in the grand scheme of things) isn't entertaining.