Mae Young Classic

Love Wilcox
Community Member

Re: Mae Young Classic

Postby Love Wilcox » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:21 am

I thought last nights finals show was fantastic. It was kept short and sweet but the presentation was great and even though the match itself wasn't necessarily the best match of the tourny workrate wise it had that big time feel to it which made it seem special. Kairi winning was the right move long term I think as she can now be slotted right into the NXT women's title picture. Baszler still needs a bit of polish but she looks and acts like a star so hopefully we'll see some big things from her in the future.

Overall the tournament was a massive success for me. It didn't have the workrate or movez of the Cruiserweight Classic but it had an incredible depth of characters and personalities on show that I felt was missing in the CC. Almost all of the women had something to offer and I hope they sign the vast majority of them ASAP.
My original edits: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1140

senator
Community Member

Postby senator » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:19 pm

Love Wilcox wrote:I thought last nights finals show was fantastic. It was kept short and sweet but the presentation was great and even though the match itself wasn't necessarily the best match of the tourny workrate wise it had that big time feel to it which made it seem special. Kairi winning was the right move long term I think as she can now be slotted right into the NXT women's title picture. Baszler still needs a bit of polish but she looks and acts like a star so hopefully we'll see some big things from her in the future.

Overall the tournament was a massive success for me. It didn't have the workrate or movez of the Cruiserweight Classic but it had an incredible depth of characters and personalities on show that I felt was missing in the CC. Almost all of the women had something to offer and I hope they sign the vast majority of them ASAP.

Good post, I agree with just about everything here. Really hope they do sign a lot of those competitors, but if I had to pick my selection off the top of my head, I'd grab Kairi, Shayna, Toni, Tessa, Candice, Piper, Abby, Bianca, Princessa, Mia, Jazzy and Mercedes. All of them would stand out in their own way, and would build one heck of a division.

I don't get the red hot hatred some people had for Baszler. She didn't look out of place in the ring like some said, just a bit green, but her aggression and physicality were great and despite her age, I think she has a decent bit of potential to realize in her pro wrestling career. Then again, I'm a sucker for shoot style stuff and a MMA fan who likes seeing crossover athletes like this, so I'm biased, badly.

Extremely pleased to see Kairi get the win, though, she's such a likable wrestler to cheer for and when she turns up the offense, it's obvious why she's so hyped.

Hikari☆Hana
Community Member

Postby Hikari☆Hana » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:01 pm

Abbey Laith and Bianca Belair already have WWE contracts. Abbey's been signed for a while, and is her "WWE Name." She was Kimber Lee on the indies and worked NXT house shows while playing the role of fodder talent until the tournament. Bianca played similar role, only without the prior experience Laith has. Lacey Evans, Sarah Logan, Vanessa Bourne were also already signed prior to the tournament as well. So, no worries there!

I personally hope they sign Tessa Blanchard, Santana Garrett, Viper, Candice LeRae and Toni Storm. They're just my daaaaarlings though, and is purely based on action figure probability. lol

fullMETAL
Belt-Designing Crayonicorn

Postby fullMETAL » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:57 pm

Related: Last night, I watched Toni Storm vs Io Shirai from a few months ago for the Stardom belt, and thought the finish was full of super duper bullshit--Toni should've handily won that match 2/3rds of the way through, and it would've been nice to see her holding that belt during the MYC.
Escargot in 5 minutes or your dignity back!

htiman
Community Member

Postby htiman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:16 pm

My brother decided to get the Network so we both watched the first two episodes of this yesterday. It was...really not great. The finishes were so boring and almost always came out of nowhere (and not in a good way). Half the time the matches stayed mostly grounded and boring to the point where we both cheered when Mia Yim started doing wrestling moves in her match with Sarah Logan and other exciting things and the match had a finish that wasn't just a pin after a random move or a boring submission out of nowhere like every other match had. It was just a solid match and easily the best of the two episodes. A lot of the wrestlers in the other matches seemed talented but the matches themselves just didn't really work.

On a side note, Marti Belle is the worst damn heel I've had to suffer through in a long time. Her boring match vs Evers was 75% Belle pulling the "heel keeps stalling the match to be an ass" and 25% the same bland brawling of most of the other matches. I was legit getting angry and the episode almost got turned off right there.

Definitely not something I'll be going back to. Maybe I'll check out the CWC and see if it was as good as its reputation says.