Odd and Obscure Games

Nth
Community Member

Re: Odd and Obscure Games

Postby Nth » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:40 am

Elwood wrote:
Sooj wrote:
djkm77 wrote:I can't even explain how much fun it is playing on these old systems with all these games. Good times.
https://krikzz.com/store/

Can only imagine. Pretty damn incredible - I had no idea stuff like this was out there.

Yeah, there's something like this for virtually any cart-based system at this point (personally I've considered getting an N64 one, but money's tight atm). I have a flashcart for the Nintendo DS and it works without a hitch for playing DS and most GBA games (a small handful are too big, unless you have a extra RAM cart for the GBA slot). There are emulators for these, so you can play classic Game Boy as well as some NES games.

These devices get better when you throw-in DIY stuff. For instance:
http://mendelpalace.tumblr.com/post/151 ... y-and-game

That's someone's modded GBA (with added backlight) running the Goomba Color, which not only plays all GB and GBC games, but has options to use the special borders for the Super Game Boy device.

BTW, a good obscure game I'd forgotten: the Japanese Famicom version of Rampart. The original Rampart, for those who don't know, was an arcade game by Atari, a light strategy game where, after choosing a fortress, you alternate between firing at enemy ships/troops and laying Tetris-like pieces to fill in holes in your fort (if there's any holes left when the round ends it's Game Over).

Most versions of the game are straight ports, including the US NES version by Tengen. But a Japanese version was made by Konami, and while the central gameplay is intact, it mixes things up with more board variety, different themes for stages (Fantasy, Military, Fairytale and Samurais) and having an actual campaign mode. Plus an English translation patch came out pretty recently, so that's a bonus.

I must have rented the NES and SNES ports of Rampart dozens of times. Used to play that game for hours. Even played it when it was in the arcade, although you had to play it with a track ball and that just killed me.

Elwood
Community Member

Postby Elwood » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:50 am

Hey guys, I'm back!

Did you know that quite a few years back, there was a project where various indie game devs tried to recreate every game from the awful NES multi-cart Action 52? I just found out yesterday, and while the project was never 100% finished (only about half the games were submitted), some of them look pretty rad.

A few highlights include:
Non Human (featuring the main guys responsible for Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR97u7XE1Mw

Illuminator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fulZSNBqIGo

and Streemerz (which got converted to the NES proper)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkp-v8dB6V0

Mister Zurkon
Community Member

Postby Mister Zurkon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:32 am

"Scratches" is a pretty amazing Point and Click Adventure game that has amazing atmosphere and one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a P&C.

While it is fairly well known among hardcore adventure fans, I'd file it under Obscure since it's been obliterated from legit purchase by publishing nonsense.

soak314
Community Member

Postby soak314 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:47 am

Since a lot of people have likely hopped onto steam for the first time ever to get FPW, I may as well throw one of my underrated favorites in this thread!

'LISA', is an RPG. I talk about it a bit on my edits thread.

It's a fantastic little earthbound-like with very high post-apocalyptic concepts. It boasts an absolutely banging soundtrack and a truly dark sense of humor. It even has a little wrestling sidequest!

Best played on 'Painful' mode, but if you're the type to get frustrated easily, there's absolutely no shame in going in on normal.

Will
Community Member

Postby Will » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:15 pm

soak314 wrote:Since a lot of people have likely hopped onto steam for the first time ever to get FPW, I may as well throw one of my underrated favorites in this thread!

'LISA', is an RPG. I talk about it a bit on my edits thread.

It's a fantastic little earthbound-like with very high post-apocalyptic concepts. It boasts an absolutely banging soundtrack and a truly dark sense of humor. It even has a little wrestling sidequest!

Best played on 'Painful' mode, but if you're the type to get frustrated easily, there's absolutely no shame in going in on normal.

Bruuuhhh. Love me some LISA. It's so weird. And the story is—well, it goes some places. Picked it up really cheap on a Steam sale after hearing some buzz about it and I absolutely adored it. It's a strange, strange game, but I love it. And yeah, soundtrack is dope AF.
(omg that's clickable and will take you to SHTCW: a!)
Steam Workshop!

soak314
Community Member

Postby soak314 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:38 pm

The Sexy Brutale is a very light, very short, puzzle/mystery/time shenanigans game with a sharp sense of style.

As a puzzler, it's frustratingly simple. As a mystery game, it's very predictable. The story is a little overbearing, and the ending is love it or hate it. But somehow, as a whole, it's bigger than the bits that make it up.

Recommended if you're immediately drawn to the motifs and aesthetic, otherwise it likely won't hold your attention.

sonny615
First FPCPP Champion

Postby sonny615 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:08 am

Cool topic.

A few recommendations from me:
1. The Plan - it stands out because it is probably the shortest game you'll ever play but it does provide a sense of completion and an interesting message. It's also free on Steam.

Two more 'famous' games:

2. Papers, Please - I find this game super unique and weird. From the somewhat frustrating gameplay to the setting (you play a border control\passport checker). As someone who grew up in a communist country, I can tell you that this game captures the atmosphere of living in such country very nicely. The cold, the paranoia, the frustration and the feeling that no matter what you do you just can't beat the system. It feels like a small taste of George Orwell's 1984 in game form.

3. Her Story - I praised this game a few times before but it is worth a mention. There was a time, I'd like to guess - late 90's, when this genre of games based on many recorded video scenes was fairly popular. You don't see many good games like this today. Even considering all the games in that genre, Her Story still stands out as obscure. The way you play the game is quite unique and the story itself is interesting. It's not a long game, you can finish it in about 4 hours and feel like a badass when you figure things out (or not :)) but it will probably make you think about the game for a long time after completion.
If you want a unique experience, unlike anything out there, play this game. Don't read any reviews or spoilers, just play it. Oh and I suggest grabbing a pen and paper. Helps out a lot.

Rikidozan

Postby Rikidozan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:45 pm

Heist 2001 is very good clone of SWAT 2 mixed with Commandos. You can rarely find any copy of it and it's hard to download or even run it on modern systems. Crookz: The Big Heist is a spiritual successor.

Death to Spies: Moment of Truth and Alekhine's Gun with global mods/revamps. Hitman, Thief, Desperados, No One Lives Forever, Splinter Cell, Velvet Assassin, Sniper Elite, Hidden & Dangerous and Commandos combined into one.

VGA Planets and Stars! (1995) are the most complex 4x space wargames, have extremely little exposure and very rare findings.

Demon's Winter (1988) one of the best Pool of Radiance like games.

Warlock 2 if you like games like Master of Orion, Master of Magic, Heroes of Might and Magic, Age of Wonders, Disciples, Civilization and other 4x games.

Infra Arcana and Caves of Qud is one of the best roguelikes out there that deserve WAY MORE attention than they get.

STUNTS: 4D Sports Driving (1990) the best competitive driving simulation. I wish someone except online league players knew about this game.

All-Star Pro Wrestling 3 is the best pro wrestling game.

That's all I can name off the top of my head. I'm an avid gamer since 1988. I own FAT catalogue and still dig Moby Games for new stuff, mod old DOS and new indie games.

ArachnidSoul wrote:For people looking to play a game that makes Dark Souls look easy, try the fun yet unfairly rigged against you game called 100% Orange Juice. I didn't expect much until I played it because its not at all the usual type of game I play, but its a lot of fun solo or with friends. Just don't expect to ever win. You'll pretty much be the masked guy working through the Memphis territory in the 1970's in terms of ever getting a win.

Hey, man. Please get back to shooting wrestling videos. I'm a big fan of your gameplay style and commentary. I was even subscribed to Bingo Hall channel because of your uploads. Your recent Fire Pro videos are some of the best around. I wish you can record more All-Star Pro Wrestling and King of Colosseum 2 footage.

Elwood
Community Member

Postby Elwood » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:38 am

So a game I recently came across that would probably be of interest to folks on this site is Buriki One, a 1999 arcade fighting game by SNK for their short-lived Hyper Neo-Geo 64 system. It aims to be a more realistic fighter, featuring characters of different styles who often function quite differently from one another. Also, most strikes are performed using the joystick instead of buttons. Sadly it's never been ported.

lordmo, a dude I follow on Tumblr, hyped it up pretty hard in this post:
http://lordmo.tumblr.com/post/167108997720/mo-you-ever-look-into-buriki-one

And a couple of vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgWC7KbAT1U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Ny26_ZjnA

Zealot
Galastream Owner

Postby Zealot » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:47 pm

I remember there being a game years ago called Abel's Hell or something similar. Not sure of the actual title.

Basically, it's this regular alien dude who crash lands on a planet with aliens that are the equivalent of "stuffed animal" cute. Look very innocent and whatnot. However, when Abel (the alien that crash landed) journeys through the planet, he soon realizes that their look is a facade and they are more of a totalitarian government type race.

I really wish I knew what the game was called or if it was even released because I would love to play it.
ImageImage ImageImage

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:19 pm

Zealot wrote:I remember there being a game years ago called Abel's Hell or something similar. Not sure of the actual title.

Basically, it's this regular alien dude who crash lands on a planet with aliens that are the equivalent of "stuffed animal" cute. Look very innocent and whatnot. However, when Abel (the alien that crash landed) journeys through the planet, he soon realizes that their look is a facade and they are more of a totalitarian government type race.

I really wish I knew what the game was called or if it was even released because I would love to play it.

I want you to find this game but part of me also wants to believe it was a dream :lol: :lol:

(In either case, you should make one of those creatures in Super NOVA)

If it's real, I feel like it would either play like an 8-bit RPG or Little Big Planet :D

Elwood wrote:So a game I recently came across that would probably be of interest to folks on this site is Buriki One, a 1999 arcade fighting game by SNK for their short-lived Hyper Neo-Geo 64 system. It aims to be a more realistic fighter, featuring characters of different styles who often function quite differently from one another. Also, most strikes are performed using the joystick instead of buttons. Sadly it's never been ported.

lordmo, a dude I follow on Tumblr, hyped it up pretty hard in this post:
http://lordmo.tumblr.com/post/167108997720/mo-you-ever-look-into-buriki-one

And a couple of vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgWC7KbAT1U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Ny26_ZjnA

I've wanted to play Buriki One since Gai Tendo (the protagonist of the game) showed up in KOF XI a few years back. He played incredibly differently than everyone else. P.S. Hi Elwood! :oooiknow: