Other Fighting Games

Elwood
Community Member

Re: Other Fighting Games

Postby Elwood » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:28 am

AssaultDriver wrote:Hey is there any good Japan only PS2 fighting games to pick up?

First thing that came to mind is Hokuto no Ken (aka Fist of the North Star) by Arc System Works (the dev behind the Guilty Gear games). I've played it a bit, and it's pretty fun.

I've heard The Rumble Fish is a pretty good 2D fighter as well.

Uh... I know there's a bunch of ports of SNK fighters like Garou: Mark of the Wolves and the like that we didn't get.

AssaultDriver
Community Member

Postby AssaultDriver » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:49 am

Elwood wrote:
AssaultDriver wrote:Hey is there any good Japan only PS2 fighting games to pick up?

First thing that came to mind is Hokuto no Ken (aka Fist of the North Star) by Arc System Works (the dev behind the Guilty Gear games). I've played it a bit, and it's pretty fun.

Uh... I know there's a bunch of ports of SNK fighters like Garou: Mark of the Wolves and the like that we didn't get.

What the hell is Rumble Fish is that base off a anime?

Elwood
Community Member

Postby Elwood » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:04 pm

AssaultDriver wrote:
Elwood wrote:

What the hell is Rumble Fish is that base off a anime?

The Rumble Fish is just an obscure fighter, it's not based on anything, though it does look pretty anime-like.

Here's a gameplay vid of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTT63mbytq8

NSL
Community Member

Postby NSL » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:46 pm

Garouden Breakblow: Fist or Twist was something that caught my mind that hasn't been mentioned. It too, like Fist of the North Star, is based off a popular manga series in Japan by Keisuke Itagaki of Baki the Grappler fame. It's a 3D momentum-based fighter with fighters of many varieties. One of the "antagonists" is clearly based on Antonio Inoki, and another Rikidozan. The Baki influence is so present, Yujiro Hanma, the baddest man from Baki, appears as a secret fighter and is probably as broken as he is in the manga and anime.

AssaultDriver
Community Member

Postby AssaultDriver » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:36 am

NSL wrote:Garouden Breakblow: Fist or Twist was something that caught my mind that hasn't been mentioned. It too, like Fist of the North Star, is based off a popular manga series in Japan by Keisuke Itagaki of Baki the Grappler fame. It's a 3D momentum-based fighter with fighters of many varieties. One of the "antagonists" is clearly based on Antonio Inoki, and another Rikidozan. The Baki influence is so present, Yujiro Hanma, the baddest man from Baki, appears as a secret fighter and is probably as broken as he is in the manga and anime.

Completely forgot about this game i saw Super Best Friends play it, it looks fun.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:20 pm

AssaultDriver
Community Member

Postby AssaultDriver » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:44 pm

Holy Shit why does almost all the old Dreamcast fighting games cost an arm and a leg?

CF_Dawnbr3ak3r
Community Member

Postby CF_Dawnbr3ak3r » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:51 am

Do any of you have an opinion on Skullgirls?

I've heard that it's a very solid game with great mechanics and the roster, regardless of being all female (with the exception of a single male DLC character), is varied and well done.

I'm likely going to pick it up during the Steam Winter Sale since I'm getting back into the genre a lot lately. I wasn't really feeling MKX last year. Playing USFIV with SkullTrauma and a couple of his friends really helped to get me interested in fighting games again.
The_PR_Dragon wrote:Dragons, Emus, and Wolves are all hearing impaired. Sounds about right.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:54 am

Garou: Mark of the Wolves was just released on Steam either today or this weekend. $9. It's an excellent game and I encourage you to check out videos of it. I'm not sure if this is a great port of it, that's the only thing.

I played the demo of Skull Girls on PSN/PS3 a long time ago when it first came out. It didn't really hold my attention but it was competing with SF4 and KOF XIII. I think the game has a lot of heart and personality but it wasn't exactly my thing in terms of "impact" of the engine and the animation style. I don't have anything negative to say about it though, it just wasn't a great match for what I was personally looking for at that time.

fullMETAL
Belt-Designing Crayonicorn

Postby fullMETAL » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:18 pm

Watching the Super Best Friends Play of it, I got the following impressions:
- the animation is super smooth, practically at the same level as Guilty Gear and BlazBlue
- the roster is quite varied in character type, which is a good way of appealing to the fanbase who are into DarkStalkers or something akin to that
- people are way too much into the type of burly character that the DLC only-male-character is (which I like to call "Disproportionate Liking of Zangief Syndrome")
(btw, if the stats show that he's played the most by the most people out of all the characters, then I would automatically assume the players were sexist and basically decided "nah, I'm not gonna play this game full of girls until there's a guy in it")

Anyways, in terms of developing one's own fighting game independently, I would think about the following aspects (using Mugen to test out each concept):
- Which character type do the most people like to play? Test out a 6-10 character roster with ONLY that type of character, then see which character's personality and look the most people gravitate to. (for instance, Shotos--do people prefer Ryu's "standard karate man" non-personality, Ken's "let's go!" upbeat personality, Akuma/Gouki's "demon demon demon demon rarrrrr grrrr" does-he-even-HAVE-a-personality, Demitri's "I'm a vampire and I'll turn you into my sexy female slave" personality, etc.?)
- Which control scheme do people either like the most ( motion, charge, pretzel, Acclaim bullshit direction tapping, etc), find the easiest to use (Street Fighter Shotos, of course), or can master and go "Ha! I can do a 720 Super Piledriver on-command priority frame-trap footsies didgeridoo EVERY TIME!" to their opponent? Then test out a roster of just THAT type of character.
- Would your intended fanbase prefer characters WITH projectiles or just pure punch-kick-grab-etc characters? Another roster test.
- And so on.

I have 3 main ideas for different Mugen (to start with) fighters, though it would take a lot of testing with different character types to do:
- A Guilty Gear/BlazBlue combination parody game, which every character would be a parody of the source character--obviously I'd have to build THOSE characters/resources from scratch since just doing a GG vs BB build, while cool, doesn't quite make my point.
- An all-female game (where the characters are visually done SNK style or GG/BB style), either like a regular one, or Rumble Roses/SlamMasters wrestling/fighting style.
- A diversely-cast SlamMasters style wrestling fighter (also visually SNK style) where there are actually as many females as males.
(my reason for using the SNK style for character sprites is because the Capcom style's proportions are too weird for my intentions)

More rambling, but I hope I got at least some of this across in a way that can be understood.
Escargot in 5 minutes or your dignity back!

kokushishin
Community Member

Postby kokushishin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:10 pm

There's 2 guys: Big Band (jazz cyborg with JoJo references) and Beowulf (Wrestling, some wolf memes, and well, Beowulf). It seems solid but the team went through several iterations and now they seem to be all-in on an RPG.
<rmm311> I demand you stop being right.

Licentia Docendi Dans Grapil/Lutte

Evening Star, Trollslayer, Bearer of Bad News, Bane of Fools, Dread of the Derpy

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:34 pm

SkullTrauma sent me this:

https://youtu.be/lAB9-vNrq-k

Collaboration between Tekken and New Japan :markout:

kokushishin
Community Member

Postby kokushishin » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:20 pm

I think I remember Bill bringing this up back in the day:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/ ... 7810000001
<rmm311> I demand you stop being right.

Licentia Docendi Dans Grapil/Lutte

Evening Star, Trollslayer, Bearer of Bad News, Bane of Fools, Dread of the Derpy

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:31 pm

King of Fighter XIV getting a graphics update in the early 2017 1.10 patch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOuL61E9T8c

fullMETAL

Postby fullMETAL » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:00 am

Still won't stop Robert from looking like a girl crossplayed him though ;)
Seriously, he looks like Cecily Strong as Lin-Manuel Miranda.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:25 pm

Nothing confirmed, but the big rumor going around forums now is a retailer release date leak for the new Tekken being February 12th.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:43 pm

Guilty Gear Revelator 2nd Rev just revealed for spring. Supposedly stand alone and available to download as an upgrade for people who already have Revelator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... NRPiSQ1E-8

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:32 pm

Tekken 7 release date trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u62V8Qi6GqQ

wakigatame
Community Member

Postby wakigatame » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:19 pm

That trailer was awesome. Too bad the New Japan collab was just a timed arcade exclusive :(

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:47 pm

For Honor is now being classified as a fighting game and Ubisoft is pushing for it to be an entry at EVO now. So here's a vid on character customization - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUI2aUsozlQ

fullMETAL

Postby fullMETAL » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:35 am

I really don't think Ubisoft's earned that right yet.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:32 pm

New KOFXIV DLC coming including new stages, outfits and three characters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgSHvZUZW7s

kikrusher99
Community Member

Postby kikrusher99 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:22 pm

I miss Eternal Champions.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:24 pm

Is kofxiv any good?
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

NSL
Community Member

Postby NSL » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:37 pm

I really enjoyed playing it. I'll put it up there with Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator as the deeper yet more fun fighters I've played recently.