Watching the Super Best Friends Play of it, I got the following impressions:
- the animation is super smooth, practically at the same level as Guilty Gear and BlazBlue
- the roster is quite varied in character type, which is a good way of appealing to the fanbase who are into DarkStalkers or something akin to that
- people are way too much into the type of burly character that the DLC only-male-character is (which I like to call "Disproportionate Liking of Zangief Syndrome")
(btw, if the stats show that he's played the most by the most people out of all the characters, then I would automatically assume the players were sexist and basically decided "nah, I'm not gonna play this game full of girls until there's a guy in it")
Anyways, in terms of developing one's own fighting game independently, I would think about the following aspects (using Mugen to test out each concept):
- Which character type do the most people like to play? Test out a 6-10 character roster with ONLY that type of character, then see which character's personality and look the most people gravitate to. (for instance, Shotos--do people prefer Ryu's "standard karate man" non-personality, Ken's "let's go!" upbeat personality, Akuma/Gouki's "demon demon demon demon rarrrrr grrrr" does-he-even-HAVE-a-personality, Demitri's "I'm a vampire and I'll turn you into my sexy female slave" personality, etc.?)
- Which control scheme do people either like the most ( motion, charge, pretzel, Acclaim bullshit direction tapping, etc), find the easiest to use (Street Fighter Shotos, of course), or can master and go "Ha! I can do a 720 Super Piledriver on-command priority frame-trap footsies didgeridoo EVERY TIME!" to their opponent? Then test out a roster of just THAT type of character.
- Would your intended fanbase prefer characters WITH projectiles or just pure punch-kick-grab-etc characters? Another roster test.
- And so on.
I have 3 main ideas for different Mugen (to start with) fighters, though it would take a lot of testing with different character types to do:
- A Guilty Gear/BlazBlue combination parody game, which every character would be a parody of the source character--obviously I'd have to build THOSE characters/resources from scratch since just doing a GG vs BB build, while cool, doesn't quite make my point.
- An all-female game (where the characters are visually done SNK style or GG/BB style), either like a regular one, or Rumble Roses/SlamMasters wrestling/fighting style.
- A diversely-cast SlamMasters style wrestling fighter (also visually SNK style) where there are actually as many females as males.
(my reason for using the SNK style for character sprites is because the Capcom style's proportions are too weird for my intentions)
More rambling, but I hope I got at least some of this across in a way that can be understood.
Escargot in 5 minutes or your dignity back!