Other Fighting Games

Monkboon
Community Member

Other Fighting Games

Postby Monkboon » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:05 am

Speaking of guest characters, what's the general consensus with VF5 characters in DOA5 or does no one give a shit because it's DOA5?
PSN/XBOX: ManiacMonkboon

CF_Dawnbr3ak3r
Community Member

Re: Street Fighter

Postby CF_Dawnbr3ak3r » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:18 am

Monkboon wrote:Speaking of guest characters, what's the general consensus with VF5 characters in DOA5 or does no one give a shit because it's DOA5?

No one gives a shit because it's DOA5. :lol:

I love some of the characters in that game, but I can't take it very seriously when the majority of the content in the game is "girls in bikinis" which is kind of ironic, considering I'm one of the biggest advocates of fanservice. I guess it just depends on the time and situation and if it should be there or not. I don't get as much entertainment out of bikini-clad warriors as one would think.

But for real, it's really annoying seeing guest characters in these games, regardless of a "working agreement" between companies. If I want a Street Fighter game, it better be a damn Street Fighter game with Street Fighter characters in it. This is precisely why I've come to really despise and loathe NetherRealm Studios and WB for what they've done to Mortal Kombat recently. They're milking the hell out of horror icons and I could care less about their inclusion as DLC or additional characters. I don't care for the gratuitous violence in the game - I bought it because it's probably the most modern fighter out there, barring Street Fighter V, that I'm up to snuff on. There's certainly more fighters than MK and SF, but I don't know squat about most of them. Hell, I'm willing to bet I know more about DOA and SoulCalibur than I do about Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

I totally should have bought DOA5:LR on Steam this past sale. I'm pretty disappointed NRS isn't supporting MKX on PC anymore - since it was outsourced to another company, I don't know if I can blame NRS or not. I'm not as hostile over it as other people are, but it's still a huge disappointment and a letdown to the lot of PC players (there isn't much of a PC playerbase that I'm aware of).
The_PR_Dragon wrote:Dragons, Emus, and Wolves are all hearing impaired. Sounds about right.

C-Drive
Web Ninja

Postby C-Drive » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:32 pm

ControlFrenzy wrote:I don't know if I can blame NRS or not.

You can definitely blame NRS (or WB in general) - it's their product and they aren't supporting it properly.
FPWR Save Conversion Kit v1.3 (2016-09-06)
Use this toolkit to easily convert .max and .psu files into the PlayStation Network (PlayStation 3) format, convert saves between regions, or load .max and .psu files into .ps2 files quickly - and more!

Monkboon
Community Member

Postby Monkboon » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:01 am

Understood. With that said, would you be interested in a crossover DOA vs VF where SEGA were the sole developers and implemented their creative vision?

I would support such a game. Basically there would be twice the characters to choose from and I'd get to play DOA using the VF engine. Hopefully that would be a updated VF5FS engine.

Imo, that would be awesome and something that would bring VF and DOA fans alike back to the forefront. One can dream.

CF_Dawnbr3ak3r
Community Member

Postby CF_Dawnbr3ak3r » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:24 pm

Monkboon wrote:Understood. With that said, would you be interested in a crossover DOA vs VF where SEGA were the sole developers and implemented their creative vision?

I would support such a game. Basically there would be twice the characters to choose from and I'd get to play DOA using the VF engine. Hopefully that would be a updated VF5FS engine.

Imo, that would be awesome and something that would bring VF and DOA fans alike back to the forefront. One can dream.

A DOA game without as much fanservice? Yeah, I could probably get behind that.
The_PR_Dragon wrote:Dragons, Emus, and Wolves are all hearing impaired. Sounds about right.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:59 pm

ControlFrenzy wrote:A DOA game without as much fanservice? Yeah, I could probably get behind that.

Me too. There's a lot in the DoA games that get totally overlooked as a result of the fan service. Rightly or wrongly, it has prevented the game series from getting more respect as a fighter. I quite enjoyed the first DoA on PS1 and the sequel (was either on Dreamcast or Xbox, can't remember....mind got hypnotized from the bouncing udders).

I always loved the emphasis on counters in the early DoA's. They may still be there but its been years since I played one.

CF_Dawnbr3ak3r
Community Member

Postby CF_Dawnbr3ak3r » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:22 pm

orochigeese wrote:
ControlFrenzy wrote:A DOA game without as much fanservice? Yeah, I could probably get behind that.

Me too. There's a lot in the DoA games that get totally overlooked as a result of the fan service. Rightly or wrongly, it has prevented the game series from getting more respect as a fighter. I quite enjoyed the first DoA on PS1 and the sequel (was either on Dreamcast or Xbox, can't remember....mind got hypnotized from the bouncing udders).

I always loved the emphasis on counters in the early DoA's. They may still be there but its been years since I played one.

I played DOA5 for about a week before giving up on it. All of my friends that played it couldn't take it seriously either and we all went back to trashing each other in SoulCalibur V like nothing even changed. DOA5 has the counter system still from what I remember. I haven't played the game in a couple years though.

But yeah, DOA2:H was a ton of fun. I played the crap out of that game on the PS2.

C-Drive
Web Ninja

Re: Other Fighting Games

Postby C-Drive » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:53 pm

Split the discussion off out of the Street Fighter thread.
FPWR Save Conversion Kit v1.3 (2016-09-06)
Use this toolkit to easily convert .max and .psu files into the PlayStation Network (PlayStation 3) format, convert saves between regions, or load .max and .psu files into .ps2 files quickly - and more!

SpiderFab4
Community Member

Postby SpiderFab4 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:18 pm

Good idea for a standalone thread.

Also, I do give a shit about DOA5, I own every game in the series, and yes it is because I like the girls in the series. I still don't own Last Round, because with all the different versions of this and all the confusion of all the DLC, the DOA5 series has become more muddied than even the SF2 and SF4 series! Any insight would help. The only console I could get it on is X-Box 360 anyway. Is that version even any good? Is it available in physical copy or download?
Get your Hanes on, lace up your Nikes, grab your Wheaties and your Gatorade and we'll pick up a Big Mac on the way to the ball park.

Severla

Postby Severla » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:05 am

orochigeese wrote:I quite enjoyed the first DoA on PS1 and the sequel (was either on Dreamcast or Xbox, can't remember....mind got hypnotized from the bouncing udders).

DoA 2 was on Dreamcast. Always enjoyed it then, because I didnt play any women and wasnt overly distracted.

In other cross-over news:
The Arbiter from Halo in Killer Instinct Season 3. I'm slightly hyped just because it's a cool cross-over imo.

CF_Dawnbr3ak3r
Community Member

Postby CF_Dawnbr3ak3r » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:09 am

Severla wrote:
orochigeese wrote:I quite enjoyed the first DoA on PS1 and the sequel (was either on Dreamcast or Xbox, can't remember....mind got hypnotized from the bouncing udders).

DoA 2 was on Dreamcast. Always enjoyed it then, because I didnt play any women and wasnt overly distracted.

When I played DOA2:H on the PS2 (which is basically the same game with some more content iirc) I usually played as Kasumi, Tina, or Bayman. Kasumi was really frickin' fast compared to other fighters, but couldn't do a ton of damage unless you stringed together some of her moves and combos. I loved playing as Tina because, well, she's a wrestler, and she wasn't nearly as slow as Bass was(is). And then I played as Bayman if I wanted to break a guy in two - that Sambo looks like it really hurts. :lol:

As time went on however, I slowly lost interest in the series. I tried to keep it cool with the XVB games - I've never played them, because really? Who's actually playing those games for the volleyball (come on). Anyways, yeah, The graphics improved, but it really started focusing on the female cast and I always felt that the male characters weren't as interesting because of this. I wanted to like the whole roster, but since they decided "Hey, look at our females" it was quite difficult. It's especially true for DOA5. Most of the unlockables there are costumes - for the female roster. At one point I think Kasumi had 20+ costumes and Bayman had like 5, tops - I could think of plenty of different costumes for him, but they'd all be based around the same theme. Bayman in a Splinter Cell or Metal Gear Solid themed costume would have been interesting. And no, I'm not even gonna get started on the boob physics and stuff like that.

The gameplay itself is really fun, and pretty unique, but it gets lost, I think, due to the overabundance of fanservice in the game. Don't get me wrong, I love fanservice as much as the next guy, but I'd rather it be paced like, say, SoulCalibur - It's there, but it's not necessarily over-the-top (heh) or in your face - with a few exceptions, notably Taki and Ivy.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:27 am

So apparently Mortal Kombat X is getting even more DLC even after Mortal Kombat XL comes out.

Recent dev stream mentioned:

- Everyone will be getting the new netcode update.
- Everyone will be getting the new Pit stage level. Also hinted that the Pit may contain some secrets.
- New stage fatalities, brutalities and 'Secret' brutalities coming as well. Devs also mentioned that not all of the brutalities in the vanilla version of the game have even been discovered yet.
- An additional DLC pack of unknown content was also confirmed, simply called the 'Fan Service' pack. It will be offered for free.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:37 am

^I suppose at least it's more than just costumes (cough.....DOA)
:|

Given that I'm in the gaming minority of fighting gamers who prefer 3D to 2D entries, I'm actually a fan of the DOA series and I think DOA5 is a tremendously fun game. That said, when it comes to the franchise, nobody actually talks about the fighting. That's ONLY the fault of Team Ninja for emphasizing fanservice instead of competitive fighting. I'm not personally bothered by the fanservice in and of itself but the all out focus on it is irksome because instead of adding things like interesting and unique characters, stages, modes (aside from the damn pose mode; yes that's a real thing that they added :facepalm: ), better online, etc., they spend the bulk of their time cranking out (erm....) copious amounts of costume DLC that adds absolutely nothing to the game. I get it. That's their "thing" but that doesn't mean it's not ill-conceived. DOA deserves its reputation as a shameless fanservice franchise but damn if it doesn't have the foundation to move beyond that. The people at Team Ninja just don't give a damn enough about that sort of thing and as such it will always be niche and something to be spoken of in hushed tones. Or something. It's still my most played fighter of the last year but that's because it's the only truly 3D fighter on PS4 at the moment. Save us Tekken 7 :roll:
Can we please have Soul Calibur 6 and have it be good this time? :oops:

:|

Going back to Mortal Kombat and its DLC to the "Ultimate" version, I can't say that I'm surprised. Much like the DOA series, you pretty much know what sort of "support" you're going to get during the lifespan of a game from Netherrealm Studios. For good or ill, it is what it is.

Spoiler: show
don't you just LOVE that phrase :seppuku:
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

cominattraction
Community Member

Postby cominattraction » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:11 pm

I agree about DOA. Take the fanservice away and you still have a really solid game mechanics wise but that part goes completely overlooked but those not really into the game. I think I only really notice it because I'm in the minority that plays with a male character, so I don't need all the bikinis.

scorp
Community Member

Postby scorp » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:13 pm

I don't play a lot of fighters but I did get DOA ultimate last year for $10. I knew about the obvious marketing to fanboys but it looked like a solid fighter besides that. turn off "boob jiggle" and don't get caught in the ridiculous dlc costume crap and you have a game that doesn't get credit it deserves.

fullMETAL
Belt-Designing Crayonicorn

Postby fullMETAL » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:03 am

I think the Throw system in the DoA series is criminally underutilized for how deep it actually is at this point.
Like, almost everybody has at least 1 chain-throw, but you only get to see how good the Throw system can TRULY be with grapplers (the wrestlers and the Sambo fighters) and a couple of outliers like Hayabusa with those sick Izuna Drop combos.

But that's probably because strike-based button-bashing and spazzy block-counters still wins most of the matches (BAM into the barrier twice in a row!).
Escargot in 5 minutes or your dignity back!

kokushishin
Community Member

Postby kokushishin » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:51 am

Core Fighters doesn't seem to download very well for me so I haven't tried DOA5. VF Final Showdown has a similar type of problem. Played Blazblue but haven't had much interest in the followups and similarly for Xrd I might as well wait on the new version.
<rmm311> I demand you stop being right.

Licentia Docendi Dans Grapil/Lutte

Evening Star, Trollslayer, Bearer of Bad News, Bane of Fools, Dread of the Derpy

CF_Dawnbr3ak3r
Community Member

Postby CF_Dawnbr3ak3r » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:21 pm

"Analysis: Why Fighting Games Are Hard" by Core-A Gaming:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT7njg ... -SvXemDHvg

An interesting watch for me, considering that I'm nowhere near "pro" levels of experience. I consider myself "decent" at these games, and that's about it.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:40 pm

Street Fighter premier Akuma player Tokido faces off against Tekken Dragunov expert Nobi in a series of exhibition matches in Tekken 7.

Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDrxEtVj-ng
Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGAjdT6JCrM

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:47 pm

Taking a trip down memory lane. One of my all time favorite (but forgotten) fighting games gets a 20th Anniversary Overview special from its creators; Weapon Lord. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq7hnTnpLjI

James Goddard used to (and maybe still does) post on the Weapon Lord forums at Gamefaqs. Talked to him a few times and he said he would love to see the game revived as either a remaster or an all out sequel.

Loved the original. Great weapon on weapon combat, included fatalities and brutalities and a complex counter and parrying system. The game is cited as the inspiration for Namco's Soul Calibur series.

EDIT:

Also a new Guilty Gear Revelator teaser - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_gmxCgIVIk

450splash
Community Member

Postby 450splash » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:41 am

Nth wrote:Street Fighter premier Akuma player Tokido faces off against Tekken Dragunov expert Nobi in a series of exhibition matches in Tekken 7.

Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDrxEtVj-ng
Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGAjdT6JCrM

I just watched this. It doesn't seem as if Akuma is going to be as OP as I thought. Yeah, he's got that SF style super meter, but at least you can dodge his fireball.

While we're on memory lane, I was just playing the other day an old N64 game that Atari made called 'Mace: The Dark Age'. I loved this game so much in the arcade. Anyone else remember that one?
Now 98% rash-free!

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:51 am

If anyone will be upgrading to MKXL in a few days, the latest Kombat Kast of gameplay changes and patch notes is now up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-o83qEkWgM

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:35 pm

I want this:

http://www.diegosanches.com/201177/8631981/portfolio/science-combat

Famous scientists throughout history in a fighting game :idea: :D

Monkboon
Community Member

Postby Monkboon » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:42 pm

450splash wrote:While we're on memory lane, I was just playing the other day an old N64 game that Atari made called 'Mace: The Dark Age'. I loved this game so much in the arcade. Anyone else remember that one?

I definitely remember it. I use to love playing it way back when Nixon was in office. I used to play with Namira and Al'Rashid.

unimportantguy
Community Member

Postby unimportantguy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:41 pm

orochigeese wrote:I want this:

http://www.diegosanches.com/201177/8631981/portfolio/science-combat

Famous scientists throughout history in a fighting game :idea: :D

Playing Tesla in a fighting game is 100% my jam.