Anyone still playing TEW?

jessestu291
Community Member

Anyone still playing TEW?

Postby jessestu291 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:34 pm

http://greydogsoftware.com/tew-2016/

I first started playing the TEW games back in 2004 and I played the absolute crap out of them. Over the years I started getting burned out until eventually it became a chore to play. I still dust it off occasionally trying to recapture that magic, but never seem to. I really hope Adam Ryland overhauls future editions because it really hasn't changed much since 2004. Anyone else still play it or any other sims like it? Any tips on getting into the game more?

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Re: Anyone still playing TEW?

Postby Severla 2.0 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:48 pm

Still enjoy the game, but I'm somewhat terrible at it. Havent played in a few years, though.

JDP
Community Member

Postby JDP » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:11 pm

I play it a bit as well, though it's been quite a few months since I have. It's one of those things where it starts off really fun, but then something you built toward didn't pan out and then you gradually start to get bored because now your entire plan is screwed games.
My Horrific Creations!: JDP's Delightful Grapplers

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Postby Old Baby » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:37 pm

I tried really hard to get into it on multiple occasions but it just always felt like a mouse clicking exercise. Too much to keep track of and most of it is not even the kind of stuff I want to keep track of. Just not for me.

RollinsPhan
Community Member

Postby RollinsPhan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:26 am

I still prefer the old school EWR game over TEW. Simpler interface and is perfect for casual play.

Haven't played EWR in a long time, Journey of Wrestling is my new booker sim addiction.

Pyrodean
Community Member

Postby Pyrodean » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:44 pm

JDP wrote:I play it a bit as well, though it's been quite a few months since I have. It's one of those things where it starts off really fun, but then something you built toward didn't pan out and then you gradually start to get bored because now your entire plan is screwed games.

Very much this. I like the game a lot but this always happens to me and I end up quitting for a few months before inevitably going back again lol

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:32 am

I second EWR. Still got it on my old laptop, but I'm not sure if real life databases are still made for it.

Last version of TEW that I played was 2005 when it became free. Like Old Baby, too much mouse clicking and I got bored quick.

Carlzilla
Community Member

Postby Carlzilla » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:57 pm

If i'm going to use a text simulator, I'll use TNM7. It's more my style, where it's a tool to tell a story with your promotion more than it is a game...

TEW always felt like a game...and not a very fun one at that.

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:04 pm

I enjoy heavy simulation situations (and, admittingly, love handling data in general, which TEW is basically Spreadsheet Wrestling) so I dont mind the clicking.

My actual issue is getting immersed. C-Verse is really weird to dive into fresh or even semi-occasionally. It's really well done, but hard to care about sometimes. I personally think part of this is that the POSER-program pictures just havent aged well. Some got better, but a lot are just not that great to me. Hard to stay connected when Im taken aback by the people Im hiring in-game.

"So make your own people and play using them!" - I have, then rival companies steal them and I get super annoyed at it lmao.

TigerSword
Owner and Founder

Postby TigerSword » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:06 pm

I can never get into TEW, it's like I spend so much time.setting things up that I lose all desire to actually play.

DM_PSX
Community Member

Postby DM_PSX » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:34 am

I prefered EWR, but even that turns into a chore eventually. TEW is way too much detail, and it's not fun to actually play at all.

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:45 am

DM_PSX wrote:I prefered EWR, but even that turns into a chore eventually. TEW is way too much detail, and it's not fun to actually play at all.

Agreed on the "too much detail" part. EWR was simple. Just book 8 segments for the show (11 for PPVs) and you're done.

With TEW, you would have to try and book enough segments to fill in a 2 to 3 hour show. I got frustrated with that real quick.

JDP
Community Member

Postby JDP » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:11 am

To be fair it's a bit easier to play using a puroresu or indy fed where all you gotta do is give each match 15 to 50 minutes.
My Horrific Creations!: JDP's Delightful Grapplers

Timberwolf
Community Member

Postby Timberwolf » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:35 pm

JDP wrote:To be fair it's a bit easier to play using a puroresu or indy fed where all you gotta do is give each match 15 to 50 minutes.

The problem is having workers on the roster that can go a half hour or more. Otherwise match quality suffers and it gets low ratings.

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:19 am

Playing TEW is playing chess, where-in you are the king.

However, all of your pieces are invisible when given to you, and you have to figure out what is what via playing.

Except sometimes they turn out to be Shogi pieces. Similar, but not actual chess pieces.

And sometimes they end up being checkers. Wrong game completely.

Furthermore, sometimes you find your good pieces.... and the other player takes them from you.

:D