AKI Evolution

kikrusher99
Community Member

AKI Evolution

Postby kikrusher99 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:23 pm

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Old_Skool_Reun ... 0167855/1/

Anybody following this or involved? It's a No Mercy mod people over at Old Skool Reunion are working on and it looks like they're adding new features to the game. Things like stored finishers and selling specific to an opponent or situation.
Looks like it could be big enough to almost be a sequel. I am keeping an eye on this project. It looks like it will be fun to play.

Lunch_Box
Community Member

Re: AKI Evolution

Postby Lunch_Box » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Definitely looks interesting.

They have a lot of great mods over there, I really wish I could get them to work on my computer.
The Keystone Wrestling Association - A collection of original made grapplers set in the 1980's, now Live on Steam!

Keystone Wrestling Association

Chuckiepk

Postby Chuckiepk » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Anybody following this or involved? It's a No Mercy mod people over at Old Skool Reunion are working on and it looks like they're adding new features to the game.

I am one of the many people working on this mod. Like you mentioned, we are trying to add many new features into the game. In addition to what you listed, we are also working on creating things such as:

- accurate wrestler movesets (that evolve/change throughout a match depending on the opponent/situation)
- a new interface (that has different promotion theme options)
- many new match types (2/3 falls, Ambulance, Barbed Wire, Casket, Championship Scramble, Deathmatch, HIAC, Scaffold, Table, TLC, War Games, and many more)
- increasing the amount of attires possible for each wrestler from the default 4 to up to 40
- unlockable items

Here are a few more previews:

- More attires per wrestler slot

- Multiple interface theme options
ImageImage

They have a lot of great mods over there, I really wish I could get them to work on my computer.

Once we get closer to completing the mod, we would also like to try to create a detailed guide that includes directions for getting it working for everyone.

JDP
Community Member

Postby JDP » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:01 pm

Looks great so far.

Is this gonna be a "mod" in the sense you've gotta game shark it to hell and back or is it legit gonna be a unique rom because the coding is so different?
My Horrific Creations!: JDP's Delightful Grapplers

Chuckiepk

Postby Chuckiepk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:14 am

We are using a mix of both methods.

Hacking/editing the actual ROM file allows us to change the polygons/shapes of objects. As a result, we are actually able to import 3D masks (such as Jushin Thunder Liger's mask horns) and costumes found in Virtual Pro Wrestling 2, WrestleMania 2000, WCW/nWo Revenge, Virtual Pro Wrestling 64, and WCW vs. nWo: World Tour. In addition to that, we can "hack" our own shapes into the ROM as well to improve things like ring area items and costume texture mapping.

With hacking the ROM file, we can import other things too such as moves, animations, sounds, and some textures from the other AKI games into No Mercy.

Things other than that can be done using GameShark codes. These include complete gameplay overhauls, new arenas, new moves/movesets, vanilla game bug fixes, increased roster sizes, and a new interface. I am currently working on adding new match types and weapons into the game. I don't have much else to show off for this mod yet, but I did create similar features for this mod's prequel, Showdown 64 (http://s4.zetaboards.com/Old_Skool_Reunion/topic/10005574/1/), which included things like damageable weapons and arena specific weapons types and graphics (shown below).

- Breakable light tubes

- Denting trash cans

- Thumbtacks

- Spraying fire extinguisher

- VPW2's mask ripping feature remade in No Mercy

- Exposed turnbuckles

Dave
Community Member

Postby Dave » Tue May 29, 2018 2:59 pm

Have any actual videos? Call me old fashioned but I find GIFs to be questionable at best, since they never reflect true speed or frame rate.

kikrusher99
Community Member

Postby kikrusher99 » Tue May 29, 2018 5:56 pm

The Twitter has gifs which seem like they're at true speed.

Dave
Community Member

Postby Dave » Tue May 29, 2018 6:21 pm

Still a GIF.

kikrusher99
Community Member

Postby kikrusher99 » Tue May 29, 2018 11:07 pm

Dave wrote:Still a GIF.

I know.

unimportantguy
Community Member

Postby unimportantguy » Wed May 30, 2018 1:57 am

I dunno who's running the Twitter account for this project, but @ing @WWEgames while advertising your WWE game romhack seems like a great way to get hit with a cease and desist.

C-Drive
Web Ninja

Postby C-Drive » Wed May 30, 2018 11:35 pm

unimportantguy wrote:I dunno who's running the Twitter account for this project, but @ing @WWEgames while advertising your WWE game romhack seems like a great way to get hit with a cease and desist.

Yep, it's a great idea.
FPWR Save Conversion Kit v1.3 (2016-09-06)
Use this toolkit to easily convert .max and .psu files into the PlayStation Network (PlayStation 3) format, convert saves between regions, or load .max and .psu files into .ps2 files quickly - and more!

Chuckiepk

Postby Chuckiepk » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:22 pm

unimportantguy wrote:I dunno who's running the Twitter account for this project, but @ing @WWEgames while advertising your WWE game romhack seems like a great way to get hit with a cease and desist.

I am not really in charge of the advertising on Twitter. One of our other team members normally takes care of that.

Dave wrote:Have any actual videos? Call me old fashioned but I find GIFs to be questionable at best, since they never reflect true speed or frame rate.

We do have a few video previews that we make once in a while as well. Here is a preview of one of the ways we are trying to improve the gameplay. We are trying to overhaul the grapple system so that move animations feel more seamless (by not always using the same grapple animation) while still retaining the original feeling that most people have liked about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJCzUvf3Jvc

Rangerh
Community Member

Postby Rangerh » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:21 pm

Interesting to see gameplay modification regarding the grappling, it should gives a new feel to the game.
I saw in one of your video that you have changed how the blocking is animated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rghTxR1Wpk

Is it only wrestler or situation dependant or is the blocking completely replaced ?
I mean many wrestling matches of old and modern in japan usually have a wrestler taunting his opponent into striking him and no selling it in order to enrage the opponent or show off his resiliency or etc... often leading soon after into a classic exchange of strikes and no selling until both wrestlers sell the accumulated pain greatly.

In AKI gameplay i found that this type of classic puro moment could be made thanks to the "chest blocking" animation, with a wrestler striking and the opponent just shrugging it off/no selling.
Would be sad to see this animation go away for a more classic brawling "parry" animation.

Chuckiepk

Postby Chuckiepk » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:15 pm

One of our goals for this project is to make each wrestler feel unique. In order to do that, we have implemented ways for certain wrestlers to have their own animations specific to them. The first post in this topic showed off an early example of the variations that we can have with these wrestler specific animations. For the blocking, we can make it so that some wrestlers block with their hands (like in that YouTube preview) while other Japanese wrestlers do the chest blocking/no sell animation.

The project leader for AKI Evolution is wanting to occasionally have development blog Twitch streams for anyone who is interested in seeing what the hacking/modding process is like and for previewing any new developments that we have made. He had one a few weeks ago and is thinking about having another one soon if his internet connection is not interrupted by the storms in his area. If you are wanting to take a look, his Twitch channel can be found here: https://www.twitch.tv/cowboyvenus.