Red Dead (Redemption)

kikrusher99
Community Member
Posts: 1639
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:43 am

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby kikrusher99 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:35 am


User avatar
Nth
Community Member
Posts: 1271
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:14 am

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby Nth » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:20 pm


User avatar
Will
Community Member
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:02 pm

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby Will » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:09 pm

Reallllyyyy wish that Marston's kid was the protagonist because boy does this dude look like Blandy McBlanderson, but hot fucking damn does the game look gorgeous.

User avatar
El Marsh
Marsh the Great
Posts: 1277
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:49 pm
Location: South Town, USA

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby El Marsh » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:24 pm

I honestly didn't see/hear enough of the main character there to glean an opinion one way or another. But yes, it is a visually stunning game. We knew it would be a prequel to Redemption so
Spoiler: show
seeing Dutch isn't surprising (though it's very interesting regardless)
but I'm curious to just how far before Redemption (set in 1911) it's set. Remember, there were a few automobiles and even an early airplane in Redemption. If this is straight 1880s Old West, it will feel very different and that's actually very refreshing to me as it won't just be a shiny new layer on already explored territory and will leave open the possibility of new factions that were out of commission by the time setting of the first game (i.e. Native American warrior bands, remnants of the Confederacy, homesteaders, etc).
Last edited by El Marsh on Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp
Posts: 3081
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:37 am

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby orochigeese » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:25 pm

Will wrote:Reallllyyyy wish that Marston's kid was the protagonist because boy does this dude look like Blandy McBlanderson, but hot fucking damn does the game look gorgeous.


This game looks incredible and the areas and scenes blew me away :markout:

Some potential spoilers from trailer?

Spoiler: show
I'm 75% sure John Marston was in a black bandanna and black hat toward the middle of trailer.

The end of the trailer has the guy saying "Dutch" to the guy dressed pretty well.

I'm not 100% sure which guy was supposed to be the protagonist here.

I am glad that Jack Marston isn't the protagonist unless it was a story about his clear instability causing him to go insane and on a killing spree which is exactly how I imagined him in RDR 1.

Dude was like "Connor" (from Angel) levels of imbalanced and I loved the potential. But "good guy" protagonist he was not. He was always a minute away from snapping, you could hear it in his voice.


Marsh, I'd also like 1880's "true" old West era here. The transition period in RDR 1 was awesome and great for telling stories about people's lives having to change but I'd love a sequel set b.. knee deep in the old West.

User avatar
Nth
Community Member
Posts: 1271
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:14 am

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby Nth » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:17 pm

Pretty much guarantee we'll see GTAV's heist mechanics in the game. IGN livestream mentioned bank robberies, train robberies, stage coach robberies, etc could possibly appear. If this also carries over to the multiplayer like GTAV, the amount of hours I am going to put in to this are going to be impressive. Especially if we get detailed character customization options.

User avatar
Fignuts
Community Member
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:51 am

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby Fignuts » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:33 pm

El Marsh wrote:I honestly didn't see/hear enough of the main character there to glean an opinion one way or another. But yes, it is a visually stunning game. We knew it would be a prequel to Redemption so
Spoiler: show
seeing Dutch isn't surprising (though it's very interesting regardless)
but I'm curious to just how far before Redemption (set in 1911) it's set. Remember, there were a few automobiles and even an early airplane in Redemption. If this is straight 1880s Old West, it will feel very different and that's actually very refreshing to me as it won't just be a shiny new layer on already explored territory and will leave open the possibility of new factions that were out of commission by the time setting of the first game (i.e. Native American warrior bands, remnants of the Confederacy, homesteaders, etc).


Disagree completely. Feel like the new character has a major John Wayne vibe.

User avatar
Wonderland
Community Member
Posts: 995
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby Wonderland » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:48 pm

Looks like Tommy Lee Jones.
Image
Image
Image

kikrusher99
Community Member
Posts: 1639
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:43 am

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby kikrusher99 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:24 pm

I can't wait to use the bow and arrow. Hunting is gonna be unbelievable!

User avatar
Nth
Community Member
Posts: 1271
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:14 am

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby Nth » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:55 pm

Red Dead Redemption 2 info leak https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDu5w53Puto



User avatar
Wonderland
Community Member
Posts: 995
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 10:05 pm

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby Wonderland » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:51 pm

There's just no way it can match the level of perfect of RDR.... I can't imagine it. Been playing again lately and it's just peak performance. Unless they have the exact same crew working on it, from art direction to sound design to gameplay mechanic decisions, then maybe it's possible to come close. But my god, this game is gold. And I don't mean fool's gold!
Image
Image
Image

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp
Posts: 3081
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:37 am

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby orochigeese » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:06 pm

Wonderland wrote:There's just no way it can match the level of perfect of RDR.... I can't imagine it. Been playing again lately and it's just peak performance. Unless they have the exact same crew working on it, from art direction to sound design to gameplay mechanic decisions, then maybe it's possible to come close. But my god, this game is gold. And I don't mean fool's gold!


I love it. East Coast-West Coast lasagna in FULL effect since I have started playing Red Dead again in the past few weeks! The announcement whet my appetite but honestly I can play this game at any time and never get bored. It's almost 8 years since it's release and I'm still finding new things!!

For example, I accidentally killed a horse when jumping it onto the back of one of those wagons two people were pulling. For years I've successfully jumped a horse onto a wagon, only to then follow the path of two NPC's. But for some reason either the horse or the cart (or the horse that cart rode in on) was different and I under-estimated the length of the jump. The horse landed on the back of the cart and immediately died. It was actually dragging the back half of the wagon too and looked really depressing. I tried it again a few times and instant death kept occurring when I got the horse on the back part of the wagon. Could definitely have been a glitch with that wagon (or my game, which STILL "saves" every time it loads) but it was weird and different. Either the horse was too close to the cart and lifted it when the horse jumped, causing the death. Or the horse's head/neck landed on the cart effectively "stunning" it for the CRITICAL! :deadhorse:

Even if Red Dead 2 has the same team and actually raises the bar, I don't think it can compete with the overall experience that many of us had with Red Dead 1 due to the hype that game had with us, and the fact it hit many of us at a point in our lives where we were truly able to immerse ourselves in it. Red Dead 2 could be technically better in many ways in regards to feature and maybe even story/characters, but it will be hard to compete with the experience so many of us had with the first. That said, I'm looking forward to what it does 8-)

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp
Posts: 3081
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:37 am

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby orochigeese » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:01 am

One thing I've been thinking about over the past week or so is Rockstar media hype for RDR2.

For those who remember, Rockstar consistently treated us for months to a ton of awesome pre-release pics, videos, interviews, and MUSIC before Red Dead Redemption 1 came out. They don't seem to be doing that here with Red Dead 2. I checked the Rockstar newswire and there are so few Red Dead 2 posts. Am I missing something here? Or is that lack of hype, plus the delays, reason to be somewhat nervous? Or perhaps they will pick up the pace in a big way like 2 months from now: which is 6 months from their formal release date.

I want to see more excitement on Rockstar's part here.

I remember an interview with one of the Rockstar head honcho's (Dan Houser?) where he said something along the lines of Red Dead now being a consistent license of theirs. At the time I was very excited to hear that but now I think: does that mean the game won't have a specific creative vision behind its existence?

I hope they blow me the F away in a few months with a media blitz. I think they will. I really like what I've seen so far but I want more of it and I want to see them more excited about it too.

User avatar
BakFu888
Community Member
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:56 am

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby BakFu888 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:42 am

orochigeese wrote:For those who remember, Rockstar consistently treated us for months to a ton of awesome pre-release pics, videos, interviews, and MUSIC before Red Dead Redemption 1 came out. They don't seem to be doing that here with Red Dead 2. I checked the Rockstar newswire and there are so few Red Dead 2 posts. Am I missing something here? Or is that lack of hype, plus the delays, reason to be somewhat nervous?


Maybe they had to hype the crap out of RDR, let everyone know that a western themed game belonged alongside all of the other stuff that was thriving at the time. Everyone will buy the next Red Dead title, I can't see it sucking, and maybe they're increasing interest by letting people's imaginations take over. I remember totally screwing up any surprises for GTA 4 by constantly hovering over R*'s site, reading every news release and game features as they became available. Ever since then, I've avoided all potential spoiler laden material, pictures, and press early build previews for games I am interested in. So maybe R* just feels that the game will speak for itself when it finally drops? [/wishful thinking...] :)

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp
Posts: 3081
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:37 am

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby orochigeese » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:50 am

Yeah, that is a good point. Red Dead is a known quantity now and it wasn't really before release. Even though the people who were interested in it generally had confidence in Rockstar, people were still calling it "Grand Theft Horse" as if the game wasn't going to have it's own unique qualities and purpose. Years later, Red Dead is a beloved game with quite an amazing legacy for what was just the first iteration of a series. The sequel was basically must-buy for me one hour into playing the original game :lol:

I just hope that the relative lack of coverage PLUS the delays aren't pointing to any fundamental issues but I'm going to try and stay confident about it. It's still a while until it's release so if Rockstar wanted to give a strong 6 months of hype, that would be plenty of time to show us their horse pokemans :D

User avatar
TigerSword
Owner and Founder
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:21 pm
Location: Warwick, RI
Contact:

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby TigerSword » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Relax, Geese. It's Rockstar. When's the last time Rockstar released a game that didn't deliver? I can't think of one offhand.
Image
Image

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp
Posts: 3081
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:37 am

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby orochigeese » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:00 pm

They never “delivered” Red Dead 1 to PC :oops: :lol:

But yeah, I agree and have general confidence in Rockstar. They haven’t done all that much over the past few years in creating new games though as so much focus has (understandably) been on adding to GTA 5 and re-releases of older games. I just hope they have that same drive to create an old west experience like they did the first time around. I’d feel better once I see them showing it more.

I didn’t really have any doubts until the recent announced delay (which I 100% support since I’m always in the “take your time to get it right” camp) which got me thinking about the lack of hype coverage from them. I hope they glorious destroy my doubts in a few months with coverage and, of course, the actual game in October 8-)

User avatar
TigerSword
Owner and Founder
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:21 pm
Location: Warwick, RI
Contact:

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby TigerSword » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:06 pm

orochigeese wrote:They never “delivered” Red Dead 1 to PC :oops: :lol:

But yeah, I agree and have general confidence in Rockstar. They haven’t done all that much over the past few years in creating new games though as so much focus has (understandably) been on adding to GTA 5 and re-releases of older games. I just hope they have that same drive to create an old west experience like they did the first time around. I’d feel better once I see them showing it more.

I didn’t really have any doubts until the recent announced delay (which I 100% support since I’m always in the “take your time to get it right” camp) which got me thinking about the lack of hype coverage from them. I hope they glorious destroy my doubts in a few months with coverage and, of course, the actual game in October 8-)

That's also a Rockstar thing though. The first Red Dead was delayed, GTA 5 was delayed, I like the fact that they'd rather push it back and get it right instead of just rush crap out the door to make a time table.

Plus now I have until October to get a new PS4 so I can play this. :upsidedownlol:
Image
Image

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp
Posts: 3081
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:37 am

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby orochigeese » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:10 pm

Me too :lol:

I actually appreciate the delay for my own benefit because I need to get a PS4 too and I’m hoping prices go down more by then

But, more importantly, I agree that it’s best and admirable that they take the time they need to finish the game and not succumb to the impatience of some fans or arbitrary release dates based on business targets rather than creative goals. The game will be better for it 8-)

User avatar
Nth
Community Member
Posts: 1271
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:14 am

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby Nth » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:27 pm

Do yourselves a favor and splurge on a PS4 Pro. You'll definitely want the extra horsepower and graphic fidelity for this game.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp
Posts: 3081
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:37 am

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby orochigeese » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:40 pm

Yes! :idea:

I was looking for clarification on which specific PS4 model to get. That was another reason that I waa holding off. I’m not used to the current generation of various versions of one console.

“In mah day, a Nintendo was a Nintendo. You knew where you stood with it.” :lol:

I assume there are different storage capacities available for the PS4 Pro too, right?


I also agree that, for Read Dead specifically, that the extra “horse” power will help :lol:

(I hope we can still feed them apples)

:deadhorse:

User avatar
Nth
Community Member
Posts: 1271
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:14 am

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby Nth » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:49 pm

My PS4 Pro has 1TB of internal storage and I also have a 5TB external HDD connected to the rear 3.0 usb port which is not on regular PS4's.

EDIT: I think all PS4 Pro's use a 1TB internal. I haven't seen any with the lower 500gb drives.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp
Posts: 3081
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:37 am

Re: Red Dead (Redemption)

Postby orochigeese » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:06 pm

Cool, thanks for the clarification 8-) I will be on the lookout from now until October for good prices.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests