Steam stuff

sonny615
First FPCPP Champion

Steam stuff

Postby sonny615 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:49 pm

Since quite a few people here installed Steam for the first time when Fire Pro came out, I thought I'd share a really cool feature: Family Sharing.

What it basically allows you is to access the Steam game library of another account and play the games on your PC, as long as the owner isn't playing that game at the same time.

This can be done for up to 5 different accounts and (for those 5 accounts) 10 different computers.
I did it with my brother, who doesn't own many games but now can access my nearly 600 game library.
I also did it with a friend of mine who had several games that I didn't own (Witcher 3, PUBG, West of Loathing, etc.).

You can read details here:
http://store.steampowered.com/promotion/familysharing

On that page it says you need to request access but for some reason I never got that feature to work.
The way I actually enabled Family Sharing is by setting a temporary password and have your friend login with your user from his computer and enabling family sharing on that computer (Settings -> Family). If you have Steam Authentication on your mobile (highly recommended), you will need to provide that code too once your friend tries to login.
Needless to say, only do it with people you trust 100%. Never share your account details with strangers.

For the people you do trust, this is a really cool feature.
Enjoy!
Last edited by sonny615 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Re: Steam stuff

Postby Old Baby » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Wow. Thanks for sharing that. Had no idea this was a thing.

fullbug
Ohhhhh Yeahhhhh!

Postby fullbug » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:55 pm

Thanx, this would be great if I played anything other then World on Steam......
But have been browsring other games lately actually....

sonny615
First FPCPP Champion

Postby sonny615 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:53 pm

Yeah, I really love that platform. It is by far the best one of it's kind.
You can really tell that it was done by gamers and for gamers. There are quite a few "launchers" or game platforms out there (EA's Origin, CD Projekt's GOG, Ubisoft's Uplay, Microsoft's store, etc.). No one comes close to Steam. Huge variety of games, fantastic interface and tons of great features added over the years.
I would even pass on cheaper games on other launchers just so I can have a copy of the same game on Steam (a rare case, since you can find most games super cheap for Steam).
The only other game platform I use quite a lot is the Blilzzard launcher since I am a Blizzard fanboy.

JamUpGuy
Community Member

Postby JamUpGuy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Yeah, Steam is pretty great. According to my profile, I've been a member since 2006. Steam sales are some of my favorite times of the year.

sonny615
First FPCPP Champion

Postby sonny615 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:19 pm

Another really nice tip for Steam is that you can add non-Steam games to your library.
Simply click add a game on the bottom left corner and choose "Add a Non Steam Game".

Here's an example of my installed games:

You can notice Gwent, a GOG game and a few emulators for SNES\NES and PSP\PS2 that obviously didn't come from Steam itself.
Pretty useful.

It's also useful for when you want to play on your TV, through Steam's Big Picture mode.

BTW, you can customize the grid icons so the games will look as if they are part of steam.
Here's a nice site for that with tons of custom icons:
http://www.steamgriddb.com/

sonny615
First FPCPP Champion

Postby sonny615 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:04 pm

While not a Steam feature, it is related and it's pretty cool:

Great Old Games (GOG) Galaxy has a feature called Connect.
It allows you to import games from Steam account. As in if you own a game on Steam, it will be added to your GOG library.
Sure, games are available to be added from time to time and not always but still, considering that this is a completely different store and in a way, competition, such feature is pretty mind blowing.

GOG Connect

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:50 pm

Interesting. I have a GOG account but don't use it all that much.

What are the advantages to using Steam games (or GOG games) on the GOG library?

Is the UI more friendly or takes up less system resources? Steam can feel bloated at times.

sonny615
First FPCPP Champion

Postby sonny615 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:11 am

orochigeese wrote:Interesting. I have a GOG account but don't use it all that much.

What are the advantages to using Steam games (or GOG games) on the GOG library?

Is the UI more friendly or takes up less system resources? Steam can feel bloated at times.

I don't use GOG much either :)
Some people prefer it over Steam since it is DRM free. It also has a large collection of classic games which aren't sold on Steam, so if you want that Dave or Theme Hospital nostalgia, you might want to look into GOG.

Personally I prefer my games as much as possible to be in one place and I like Steam a lot.

Tommy Tarantula
Community Member

Postby Tommy Tarantula » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:01 pm

sonny615 wrote:Another really nice tip for Steam is that you can add non-Steam games to your library.
Simply click add a game on the bottom left corner and choose "Add a Non Steam Game".

Here's an example of my installed games:

You can notice Gwent, a GOG game and a few emulators for SNES\NES and PSP\PS2 that obviously didn't come from Steam itself.
Pretty useful.

It's also useful for when you want to play on your TV, through Steam's Big Picture mode.

BTW, you can customize the grid icons so the games will look as if they are part of steam.
Here's a nice site for that with tons of custom icons:
http://www.steamgriddb.com/
whats the super Nintendo stuff you got at the bottom right where can I find that?

Tommy Tarantula
Community Member

Postby Tommy Tarantula » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:01 pm

I tried to search steam but for some reason, I can't find it.

sonny615
First FPCPP Champion

Postby sonny615 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:18 pm

It's just a fancy emulator.
You can add non Steam games and launch them from within Steam.

unimportantguy
Community Member

Postby unimportantguy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:53 am

Yeah, the primary reasons to use GOG are that every GOG game is DRM free and doesn't require you to be logged in or use a launcher like Steam does, and the collection of older games that can't really be found anywhere else. GOG is kind of fantastic for finding things that I remember playing one time back in like '95 and then never looked at again. It's surprising how often I'll go through the GOG catalogue and go "OH MAN I REMEMBER THAT GAME I HAVEN'T PLAYED THAT IN YEARS."

GOG is also really good about trying to get those old-assed games to work on modern computers. It isn't perfect, but the work they put in to make these games work is impressive and praiseworthy.

soak314
Community Member

Postby soak314 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:12 pm

unimportantguy wrote:GOG is also really good about trying to get those old-assed games to work on modern computers. It isn't perfect, but the work they put in to make these games work is impressive and praiseworthy.

Thiiis.

Steam will typically have the same games available, but will have put zero to little effort on the modern OS compatibility. You'll sometimes see a classic game on steam get a ton of negative reviews simply because that version of it won't run on new rigs.

heelsinc
Community Member

Postby heelsinc » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:06 pm

sonny615 wrote:It's just a fancy emulator.
You can add non Steam games and launch them from within Steam.

Launchbox and Hyperspin are similar organizers and work much better then steam for that purpose if you have a large collection of games or are really into emulation. I have something like 20 k games on my computer and use launchbox to have the all organized fancy with box art, music and videos etc.

BrianRos
Single Post Troll

Postby BrianRos » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:03 pm

soak314 wrote:
unimportantguy wrote:GOG is also really good about trying to get those old-assed games to work on modern computers. It isn't perfect, but the work they put in to make these games work is impressive and praiseworthy.

Thiiis.

Steam will typically have the same games available, but will have put zero to little effort on the modern OS compatibility. You'll sometimes see a classic game on steam get a ton of negative reviews simply because that version of it won't run on new rigs.

That's exactly it. That's why I love GOG and use it as often as I can.