VPW2 Fans! Help!

lariatooo
Community Member

VPW2 Fans! Help!

Postby lariatooo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:03 am

Does anyone know of a source for the translated default roster names? I know a select few like The Radiator and Death Green. But i've never been able to find the rest. Everything is just the IRL names of the characters.

RagDas
Community Member

Re: VPW2 Fans! Help!

Postby RagDas » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:20 am

freem used to have a whole wiki dedicated to it, and I used to contribute to it. It'd take time, but I could try and help. I can think of a few of the names off the top of my head. Bas Rutten, for example, is Bo Lassen. Tiger Mask should be Super Jaguar, but I'm not 100% on that. Antonio Inoki should be Amigo Inamura. I think Onita still has "Puchteca" somewhere in his name as well.

lariatooo
Community Member

Postby lariatooo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:17 pm

RagDas wrote:freem used to have a whole wiki dedicated to it, and I used to contribute to it. It'd take time, but I could try and help. I can think of a few of the names off the top of my head. Bas Rutten, for example, is Bo Lassen. Tiger Mask should be Super Jaguar, but I'm not 100% on that. Antonio Inoki should be Amigo Inamura. I think Onita still has "Puchteca" somewhere in his name as well.

That would be so awesome if you're compelled to do so. I've been using placeholder names based on the original virtual pro wrestling on PS1. So El Bolador, Habanero, Mad Oahu etc.. But this would be game changing (pun intended). In the meantime I've been digging through Japanese sites trying to find them and then translate them on Google. But so far it's just the real life names.

Rangerh
Community Member

Postby Rangerh » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:19 pm

In case none here can help, there are 2 boards dedicaced to VPW2 that have probably people that will know the answer :
http://s4.zetaboards.com/Old_Skool_Reun ... m/3216416/
http://s15.zetaboards.com/VPW2Dojo/index/

i've been using the english patch3 they offer to have the VPW2 rom translated for my P64 2.1 but all the names are the real life ones , so there's no licensing friendly fictional names like those AKI did in WCW World Tour or WCW NWO Revenge.

RagDas
Community Member

Postby RagDas » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:05 pm

I had originally translated just New Japan's guys, but having Googled some of the names, I found the actual near-complete list, sans Legends. If I have time, I'll translate those names too.

https://www.arcade-history.com/?n=virtu ... l&id=58057

lariatooo
Community Member

Postby lariatooo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:29 pm

RagDas wrote:I had originally translated just New Japan's guys, but having Googled some of the names, I found the actual near-complete list, sans Legends. If I have time, I'll translate those names too.

Will you be translating your name? Because you are a legend, sir. A thousand thanks.

EDIT; this is exactly what I'm talking about, part of why I love the fake names. Shinzaki is known as "Issei Makitani". Issei is defined as "a Japanese immigrant to North America", a nod to his run in WWF. God I love that.

RagDas
Community Member

Postby RagDas » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:20 pm

lariatooo wrote:
RagDas wrote:I had originally translated just New Japan's guys, but having Googled some of the names, I found the actual near-complete list, sans Legends. If I have time, I'll translate those names too.

Will you be translating your name? Because you are a legend, sir. A thousand thanks.

EDIT; this is exactly what I'm talking about, part of why I love the fake names. Shinzaki is known as "Issei Makitani". Issei is defined as "a Japanese immigrant to North America", a nod to his run in WWF. God I love that.

Legendary Heroes (All Japan Legends)
Bomber Tsukamoto = Jumbo Tsuruta
El Masquerade = Mil Mascaras
Teddy Fang = Terry Funk
Daddy Fang Jr. = Dory Funk Jr.
Teddy Burly = Terry Gordy
Professor Kill = Dr. Death
King Kong Freddy = Bruiser Brody
Abdullah The Butcher's name looks like a mispelling of his actual name. I can't tell what it's meant to be.

Legendary Veterans (Misc. Legends)
Andy The Gigant = Andre the Giant
Asuka Matsukasa = Akira Maeda
Cassandra Galilei = Aleksandr Karelin
Nixon Bracey = Rickson Gracie
Mike Cairns = Mark Kerr
Bo Lassen = Bas Rutten
Crazy Joker = Great Muta
Aztec Dragoon = Ultimo Dragon

Legendary Black Curtain (New Japan Legends)
Amigo Inamura = Antonio Inoki
The Jackal = The Tiger/Tiger King/The Original Tiger Mask
Nakamichi Oyama = Naoya Ogawa
Rintaro Chiba = Riki Choshu
Gordon Cry = Don Frye
Tsuyoshi Nio = Atsushi Onita -> Not sure about this one
Yoshiyuki Tsujiwara = Yoshiaki Fujiwara

I genuinely don't know how to translate kuromako (i.e. Black Curtain), because the literal translation of the kanji refers to someone who manipulates power behind the scenes. Another translation was "masterpiece", as well as "wire-puller", and even "match-maker". I have no clue what any of those have to do with New Japan. Furthermore, the first translation I got for "Veterans" was actually "Powerhouse", which was from the word kyogo.

My theory about the Legendary Veterans is that those guys aren't necessarily attached to AJPW nor NJPW. Andre made his name in the territories, as well as the WWF. Akira Maeda became a huge star once he formed the UWF, and later with RINGS. Aleksandr Karelin was an Olympian, with one huge moneymaking match with Maeda for RINGS. Rickson and Mark Kerr were Vale Tudo guys, with Rickson specifically repping PRIDE here, probably. Bas Rutten was naturally a Pancrase guy, but he was also someone who did well in the UFC (just like Kerr). The Great Muta is someone you'd think you'd associate with New Japan, but from what I gather from videos games at this time, most consider Keiji Mutoh to be a Japanese legend, but consider Muta a "foreigner" from America. The irony is strong considering how that was Muta's gimmick in the States, but in reverse. Finally, Ultimo Dragon made his name in Mexico and with Toryumon. The VPW series is truly the best series around. Lots of thought was put into it (more than anyone will ever know).

lariatooo
Community Member

Postby lariatooo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:53 pm

RagDas wrote:The VPW series is truly the best series around. Lots of thought was put into it (more than anyone will ever know).

Man I truly appreciate your work. I agree that the Aki engine is the best yet. Delving into these layers of logic and hidden meaning has always been a game within the games to me and is one of my favorite things about them and a large part of what entertainment I find beyond simply seeing the character renamed to it's IRL counterpart.

Since I have someone else who appreciated this stuff as much as I do, lemme ask. Why do you reckon they're mostly all given Latino pseudonyms is the US release of VPW1? El Bolador, Habañero, Puchtecha, Paco Loco etc. That was always a curiosity to me.

RagDas
Community Member

Postby RagDas » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:18 pm

lariatooo wrote:
RagDas wrote:The VPW series is truly the best series around. Lots of thought was put into it (more than anyone will ever know).

Man I truly appreciate your work. I agree that the Aki engine is the best yet. Delving into these layers of logic and hidden meaning has always been a game within the games to me and is one of my favorite things about them and a large part of what entertainment I find beyond simply seeing the character renamed to it's IRL counterpart.

Since I have someone else who appreciated this stuff as much as I do, lemme ask. Why do you reckon they're mostly all given Latino pseudonyms is the US release of VPW1? El Bolador, Habañero, Puchtecha, Paco Loco etc. That was always a curiosity to me.

The localization process was very much a rush job. I haven't translated any of the names from VPW64, but from what I recall, only some of the names retain that continuity (e.g. Uraki, El Masquerade, The Jaguar). My guess is that the guys in charge of the localization, those who weren't part of The Man Breeze, weren't familiar with a large portion of the wrestlers on the roster.

There's a whole lot more to be curious about, though. In VPW2, for example, a lot of the unlock methods reflect special events from actual Puro history. My favorite one, to this day, is probably the method for unlocking the "Ippon" trunks. You'll find in that link I sent you that the only way to unlock it is by KOing Inoki in a 1P vs 2P match. This is because the "Ippon" trunks are actually VPW2's version of Hulk Hogan's "Ichiban" trunks. It's a direct reference to how Hogan KO'd Inoki with an Axe Bomber off the ring apron. Given that you can unlock moves from WCW/nWo Revenge, you have the makings of a formula to create your very own AKI version of Hulk Hogan, haha.

Another good one his how you have to unlock the Tiger Mask II mask separately from the tights. There's a deliberate reason for this. The tights are meant to be used specifically with Misawa; the mask, however, is not. If you rip the mask open, you'll find that the face under the mask belongs to one Yoshinobu Kanemaru, the man who played Tiger Mask II in a match as a replacement for Misawa (who had long since turned into a heavyweight, and as an All Japan star, pretty much never appeared outside of his native promotion at the time) in a Tag Team match featuring Tiger Mask I, III, and IV.

Before I decided to try out Fire Pro, the AKI series was something I explored very deeply, so I could go on for ages about AKI trivia. Even now, I learn new stuff about it. My last piece of trivia for you is that you shouldn't try and make a Tiger Mask edit from the OG Tiger Mask slot. You'll notice that none of the tights truly correspond to the original Tiger Mask's, and that's because you're not supposed to make the original Tiger Mask. The color combination of his outfits is a big hint at this. The first costume is colored Gold, representing the Gold and Black Tiger King; the second is colored Silver, representing the Silver and Blue Tiger King; the third attire is Red, representing The Tiger.

On lore and secrets alone, the AKI series is always gonna be the best wrestling series.

lariatooo
Community Member

Postby lariatooo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:03 am

Please feel free to pile on the trivia. Being someone who had to scratch out correct attires, names and general accuracy about the characters via bootleg tape trading and an internet very scant on info about Puro at the time, I learned everything one grain at a time. VPW essentially was the mortar that built my knowledge about Japan.

I always suspected that the Ippon trunks were supposed to be for New Japan Hogan. But I could never find a decent face or hair so configured maybe I was mistaken.

The Tigermask 1 thing I knew based on movesets and outfits. I've been familiar with Tiger King and noticed that the default Tigermask has no pin in the game, just ground mount. So I figured it was not the same era as his Dynamite fued, where his traditional tights would have been worn. But the Kanemaru trivia is entirely news to me and it answers a huge question about why the face in the II mask doesn't resemble Misawa at all.

Am I also correct in understanding Kanemaru, Tamon Honda, Tigermask 4 and Yoji Anjo to be 4 characters included in CAW parts?

RagDas
Community Member

Postby RagDas » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:20 am

Tiger Mask IV isn't. Those long pants that look like Tiger Mask IV's actually belong to The Tiger. The formula should be Tiger Mask's normal head, those pants (in red), and Shamrock's boots (also in red), with white wristbands and a black belt. You'll notice that this is a a very similar attire to the one The Jaguar uses as his P2 costume in VPW1.

As for Yoji Anjo, I can't confirm for myself right now. I didn't know who he was at the time, when I was playing the game on the regular. It could very well be him, yeah. I know for a fact that Mil Mascaras' face is NOT in this game, though. His face is 100% unique. I should know because I made my own texture edit to put him in WWF Wrestlemania 2000:

Image Image

There are a few other unique faces in the game too. More engaging, however, is the choice of who gets puts under the mask. The Patriot, as you might have guessed from a simple glance, is actually Terry Funk. Tamon Honda is under the mask of Tinieblas. Perhaps the oddest one of all is that Bas Rutten is under the mask of Super Strong Machine. In the case of Funk and Rutten, it means that you can rather humorously create some alternate costumes where they're masked, and still get away with it (I have a black, white, and red Patriot occupying Terry's third costume slot, haha).

On the topic of masks, probably the best thing I've got from VPW64 is the fact that Black Tiger II, when unmasked, isn't actually Eddie Guerrero. Instead, we see the face of Johnny Ace (FYI, I resized these textures to VPW1 dimensions for comparison's sake):
This is particularly amusing because you can only access the OG Black Tiger's outfit when using a heavyweight's body. Thus, my Johnny Ace in that game has a costume dedicated to just that.

Here's a whole thread of trivia if you want to take a gander:

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Old_Skool_Reun ... 113/1/#new

Jetlag
Community Member

Postby Jetlag » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:22 pm

Ha! I was just looking for this :D

Also, unrelated, but while googling VPW2 today I found this amazing site:

http://www.angelfire.com/games2/VPW2CAWorld/

Gotta love those ancient hidden treasure angelfire sites :D

RagDas
Community Member

Postby RagDas » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:57 am

I'm in the middle of checking the Costume FAQ on GameFAQs, and some stuff needs to be corrected. I'll post some of it here if I ever get around to finishing it. One thing I would like to amend is the fact that I believe Tamon Honda's face has been mislabeled. Looking at his actual face, I'm pretty sure that's actually Tamon Honda. Furthermore, the stuff labeled "Fallen Angel" actually belongs to Tamon Honda as well. Seeing as he was an AJPW mainstay, I'm pretty sure all this equates to us being able to create him.

lariatooo
Community Member

Postby lariatooo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:29 pm

Tamon is definitely there as is Anjo (which makes sense with his appearances in VPW1 and 64). Even Honda's voice sample is there as he is a very vocal wrestler during headbutts and so forth. The face that's labeled as Christopher Daniels is actually that of Del Wilkes, even though as you've pointed out on other masks Das, the face under the patriot mask is not Del. Also the facepaint listed as Ultimate Warrior is actually intended for "Big Titan" Rick Bognar, rival to Mike Awesome in Japan and eventual New Razor Ramon. As far as I've figured out, characters available via CAW parts are

Kabuki
Mr. Pogo
Yone Genjin
Power Warrior
Road Warriors Hawk and Animal
Sting (crow and OG)
The Great Nita
AKIRA (bat face paint. Unconfirmed)
Jason The Terrible
Leatherface
Hisakatsu Ooya
Tamon Honda (face 86)
--
Tsuyoshi Kikuchi
Rusher Kimura
Haruka Eigen
Masa Fuchi
(These four are all different attires for the same character in VPW64)
--
Masao Inoue
Satoru Asako
Dan Severn
Mistuhiro Matsunaga
Naomichi Marufuji
Yoshinibu Kanemaru

(Marufuji and Kanemaru barely had ring attire before the game was released. So primarily they'd be clad in plain underwear trunks and boots. As referenced in AJPW matches of the late 90's with Kentaro Shiga, Kanemaru, Marufuji and KENTA, they all started out in red undies and plain boots. But a great point of reference for researching attires are trading cards and YouTube matches from the corresponding years)

Lastly, and call me crazy here, but I think a good case can be made for Aki's intention for Muhammed Ali and Leon Spinks edits. The gloves and boxing shorts make very little literal sense unless you consider Inoki's bizarre showdown with Ali, and even more compellingly, that Onita faced off with Spinks a number of times. Spinks actually appears to have toured a little with FMW, participating in tag matches, gloves, trunks and all.

EDIT; http://s15.zetaboards.com/VPW2Dojo/topic/7844226/1/

This message board seems to confirm much of that.

wakigatame
Community Member

Postby wakigatame » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:39 pm

RagDas wrote:Andre made his name in the territories, as well as the WWF.

In Japan he's more known for the matches with Inoki, Hansen, Maeda, Sakaguchi and probably even the times he teamed with Baba than anything he did in America. I think Kerr would be a PRIDE representative here as well since he was fighting exclusively for PRIDE for about two years before VPW2 was released. I think the theme of the stable he's in is foreign legends in the sense that they're guys who were legends in Japan as well as abroad.

RagDas
Community Member

Postby RagDas » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:56 am

wakigatame wrote:
RagDas wrote:Andre made his name in the territories, as well as the WWF.

In Japan he's more known for the matches with Inoki, Hansen, Maeda, Sakaguchi and probably even the times he teamed with Baba than anything he did in America. I think Kerr would be a PRIDE representative here as well since he was fighting exclusively for PRIDE for about two years before VPW2 was released. I think the theme of the stable he's in is foreign legends in the sense that they're guys who were legends in Japan as well as abroad.

Welp, I just re-read my post. I guess I didn't make that point clear. I believe those guys are very much legends IN Japan, but they're also guys who found fame outside of NJPW and AJPW. The Legendary Heroes and The Legendary Black Curtain are AJPW and NJPW respectively, so it makes sense to have guys who aren't necessarily 100% affiliated with either, but are still legends.

@lariatooo: A Boxing fight style was intended for use in VPW2, but it's been dummied out, as it was never completed. Boxing gloves make sense if only for the presence of Bart Gunn (waddup Brawl For All).

Does anyone know if there was a Japanese stable or a gimmick with the title "Madness", or something corresponding to that? There's a pair of tights termed "Madness Tights" that I had originally thought could belong to Randy Savage, but that wouldn't make any sense. They don't look like his tights, and I don't think he would have used his late-WCW gimmick in Japan (he only wrestled at the Jan. 4 show in 2000, but he was there as the classic Macho Man, more or less).

fullMETAL
Belt-Designing Crayonicorn

Postby fullMETAL » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:10 pm

A couple of quick corrections on the fake names:
- Liger is actually "Mask de Danger", not "Masked Danger"
- El Samurai is "Death Grin", not "Death Green"
- Norton is "Scotch Bourbon", not "Scotch Barbon"
- Magnum Tokyo MIGHT BE "Paisan TOKIO" ("Paisan" meaning "Peasant" in Spanish, "fellow countryman" in Italian) rather than "Python TOKIO" (since the kana is PAIZAN rather than PAIZON), but that one might just be a personal preference one.
- CIMA is "Caesar Muscat" (as the grape/wine), not "Caesar Masakado"

Meanwhile:
- Abdullah's VPW2 name is "Abdallah the Botcher" :P
Escargot in 5 minutes or your dignity back!