WWE 2K18

Kjuggs77
Community Member

Re: WWE 2K18

Postby Kjuggs77 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:26 am

Downloading community creations is a lot less painful this year. Last year's version constantly disconnected me...no issues so far.

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:03 am

Hikari☆Hana wrote:Hana Brightly is on PS4 Community Creations

Please tell me she has Ohno's theme.... :D

The face looks really nice, but I do admit Im surprised there's not more color in her outfit compared to the FPW outfits.

rockphantom

Postby rockphantom » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:21 pm

I've been a Fire Pro disciple since G was released in 1999. I have also enjoyed WWE 2K 14, 16, & 17. I've ordered the PS4 deluxe edition of 2K18 for $75 via eBay. It should arrive tomorrow. I am a HUGE Pro-Wrestling fan, and while I fully believe the Fire Pro series is the undisputed best wrestling game franchise on Earth, I also enjoy the 3D WWE 2K approach. The scathing 2K18 reviews floating around, however, have me second guessing my purchase. http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/wwe-2k18

I swore that since Fire Pro is back from the dead, that I would skip this year's WWE 2K offering.
However, the hype has gotten to me. I'd like some feedback from my fellow Fire Pro fans on 2K18. Is this game worth keeping?
I am not a hardcore gamer. I usually stick with Fire Pro/Street Fighter/King Of Fighters/WWE 2K titles.
I don't have time to devote to RPGs and FPS games.
I am thinking of unloading the sealed 2K18 deluxe edition at cost and sticking with Fire Pro World. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:58 pm

I have never put much stock into reviews, especially given that there are very few truly unbiased opinions. Personally, I enjoy the game. It has its flaws but it's nothing worse than what's been present in other WWE games. While it's unfortunate that they're there, nothing that I've personally encountered thus far has significantly diminished my enjoyment of the game. Then again, I am biased, as I look forward to these games every year and am thus less likely to complain about niggling issues that will invariably be resolved with an update.
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

Carlzilla
Community Member

Postby Carlzilla » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:01 am

I'm enjoying 2K18.

It's not really necessary to compare the two franchises or pick one over the other...they're both trying to do different things. I tend not to read too many reviews, because I'd much rather just form my own opinion about the game without other people's nitpicks getting in the way...but I haven't really run into any issues. That said, huge multiman matches can fuck off as far as I'm concerned, so I haven't messed with the 8 man matches, which are supposed to be buggy currently.

I haven't got to deep into career mode, but calling it an RPG or pretending that it's trying to be one (as one or two of the reviews that I have seen has done) is laughable. It's just your standard career mode with elements of the old Jacob Cass Road to Wrestlemania mode thrown in. It's enjoyable, but it's not much different from what it's always been once you get past the main story...and why would anyone have expected it to be a great departure past the story?

Overall, I don't think you'll regret buying it. It's a fun game, especially if you enjoyed 2k17, which it's definitely better than...

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:14 am

Ive heard it phrased as 'this is the best broken game I've ever played.

Apparently there are several notable bugs that break things in Career and bugs littered elsewhere, but they polished the game so damn much that people are kinda looking past some and will be fine if/when 2K patches them.

Im gonna at least rent it from Redbox on Friday and make 3-4 CAWs for if anybody wants some extras in their Universes.

htiman
Community Member

Postby htiman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:40 am

Ugh. WWE 2k18 create a wrestler sucks. Making Htiman, a character I've been making in WWE games for years, is a giant pain in the rear.

Edit: Edited to be less angry, and just distilling my post down to the main point.
Last edited by htiman on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

rockphantom

Postby rockphantom » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:29 am

Thanks for the feedback, gang. I'll give 2K18 a fair chance this weekend! More feedback would be appreciated.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:10 am

I swore I'd take a day away from creation after uploading Tanaka and Chen this morning but yeah, I'm curious about this mask thing with htiman. With everything that's available, it just seems weird if such a simple design couldn't be made using basic shapes in the game. I'll check it out when I get home later.
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage

IamAres
Community Member

Postby IamAres » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:17 am

rockphantom wrote:The scathing 2K18 reviews floating around, however, have me second guessing my purchase.

I haven't played 2K18 and I'm not really intending to (Not bashing at all, I just put a lot of work into 17 and I'm super absorbed in FPW, so I'm probably sitting this year out barring some incredible revelation) but I wanted to say that in my experience, some of the WWE games that I've felt made the best improvements were the ones ripped apart the hardest in professional reviews.

Like, I remember '12 (I think, may have been 13) getting some super bad reviews - but that was the game that introduced the idea of "if you counter their finisher, they lose it and you get it" which was one minor mechanic on the surface, but it TOTALLY revolutionized the way the matches played - with that one simple change, suddenly you were never completely out of a match. It used to be all about a race to who gets their finisher first - now you could turn things around at the last second. It was a total game changer for me, and the exact moment that actual matches in the games became genuinely exciting for me.

So you had the game-changing mechanic, and it was no worse in any other way than the previous iterations. It was, at that point, the best WWE game since No Mercy, I felt. But I remember it getting totally ripped to shreds on the handful of review sites I check.

I know that doesn't help you with THIS game, but it's something to keep in mind. One thing to maybe check out is if a Redbox near you carries it - I'll usually do that with the game if I'm curious. You can go on their website, find a box that has the game near you, and rent it over the website. Then the machine will hold it until you pick it up. If you're kind of a night person, do this a frog-hair after midnight and have it for pretty close to two full days for the price of one. Just make sure it's a location that's either open all night or keeps the box out front, rather than inside the store. :lol:
Also slightly there's something happy, so enjoy it!

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:02 am

htiman wrote:Ugh. WWE 2k18 create a wrestler sucks. Making Htiman, a character I've been making in WWE games for years, is a giant pain in the rear.

Edit: Edited to be less angry, and just distilling my post down to the main point.

Were you by chance making him in Career to start? You dont have all the unlocked parts in there to start this year.

kikrusher99
Community Member

Postby kikrusher99 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:45 pm

Have they reintroduced the ability to select how many finishers you start with (i know they've had that for a while) AND how many you get as a maximum for the match? I used to like setting up a total of four to start, and they didn't replenish. Basically to emulate the powerball system in King of Colosseum. Is that possible?

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:53 pm

^You can choose to start a match with up to 3 finishers, after you set it to do so in the custom match menu. (It's really quick and it saves, for future use)

You can't set a limit in the number of finishers used in a match but I'd image setting match momentum to "low" would result in only one, maybe two additional finishers being accrued throughout the match. On normal momentum, you usually see 2-3 per match from the heartiest of wrestlers.
ImageImage

htiman
Community Member

Postby htiman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Severla 2.0 wrote:
htiman wrote:Ugh. WWE 2k18 create a wrestler sucks. Making Htiman, a character I've been making in WWE games for years, is a giant pain in the rear.

Were you by chance making him in Career to start? You dont have all the unlocked parts in there to start this year.

Nope, its the normal create a wrestler mode.

But, after getting past the problems with the mode, I managed to make a version that is acceptable. Not what I wanted at all, and overall not as good as what I could do in literally any of the PS3 WWE games, but its the best I can do in WWE 2k18.

If anyone wants him (on PS4 only, obviously), tags are: htiman, fpwarena, fpc pp

Hikari☆Hana
Community Member

Postby Hikari☆Hana » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Severla 2.0 wrote:
Hikari☆Hana wrote:Hana Brightly is on PS4 Community Creations

Please tell me she has Ohno's theme.... :D

The face looks really nice, but I do admit Im surprised there's not more color in her outfit compared to the FPW outfits.

I take a more realistic approach when it comes to 2K, and I haven't decided how I want to represent a potential Fire Pro-inspired attire for her yet. Hana's always had a school girl gimmick that's evolved for the last few years, so I always try and making something which draws back towards her original gimmick. She doesn't really represent that well in Fire Pro, so I always opt to making something more colorful there, since sprite work is always more pleasing when it's colorful opposed to more "realistic colors." But I do want to make a 2K-version of her Fire Pro attire eventually.

Uploaded onto PS4 Community Creations:
Johnny Rocket!
Just search HidamariBread or PanofWonder.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:49 am

So yeah, I've given up on the face photo editing for my Teresa Tanaka CAW. After hours of work on it both in game and out, the final result looks like she's cosplaying the drag queen Divine. So yeah, I'm going to rework her face without the photo. I feel that I'm a pretty fair sculptor of face shapes so it won't be a major, major loss but it's still kind of frustrating, especially since the picture worked fine in 2k16. In 2k17 and 2k18, the picture leaves very dark splotches on one of the cheeks and I just can't get seem to edit that out without it looking like crud. Oh well. Just wish I'd have conceded defeat before: a) spending several hours on it this past week and b) uploading it to Community Creations. I thank the blessed two dozen souls who downloaded her despite the horrific face (I think i did great job with body shape and costuming besides, so that probably helps) but yeah, I can make her look better and altogether less hideous. At least the Xouxou Chen face still worked well enough and more/less looks identical to last year's entry (which was probably my most downloaded and commented upon CAW ever). Take victory where you can find it, I think.

/Marsh Blog

And yeah, sorry htiman. I wish that could have worked better for what you personally wanted but for what it's worth, I think that looks pretty much like how I know him from FPR.

edit:
Before
After

while I DID change the eye makeup between redesigns, I should note the only reason it was like it was in the original was to obscure some makeup that didn't transfer well from the photo

the re-do isn't perfect but I think it looks much better than the botched face photo job
ImageImage

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:18 pm

El Marsh wrote:while I DID change the eye makeup between redesigns, I should note the only reason it was like it was in the original was to obscure some makeup that didn't transfer well from the photo

the re-do isn't perfect but I think it looks much better than the botched face photo job

When in doubt with a face-scanned picture, add the full-faced white face paint (or a large circle logo), make it skin-toned and then lower it's transparency to about 35 or so (play with it if need be). It helps at removing glares and thinning out very dark spots simultaneously.

She looks good in the first images, but obviously has a harsh glare on her face.

CAWs the past few years, IMO, have an issue of having highly glossed faces with no shadowing, so adding any kind of facial scan immensely helps give them extra detailing.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:49 pm

*BEARHUGS*
:markout:
That makes quite the difference, as the glare is reduced (still there but much more presentable) AND those splotches look more in line with her skin tone. I'd never have thought to try that in my frustration. Thank you so much for that!
:D

As it is, I think I'm going to leave two versions uploaded, one with the face photo (complete with Severla's suggested retouch ;) ) and one without. That way, if anybody looks for her, they can decide which one they prefer.

I am DONE
ImageImage

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:23 pm

El Marsh wrote:*BEARHUGS*

*Critical. Dies*
:zealot:

Yeah that trick has helped a lot throughout the years. Happen to have a comparison shot? Wouldnt mind seeing how she came out after the makeup job.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:21 pm

Severla 2.0 wrote:
El Marsh wrote:*BEARHUGS*

*Critical. Dies*
:zealot:

Yeah that trick has helped a lot throughout the years. Happen to have a comparison shot? Wouldnt mind seeing how she came out after the makeup job.

No problem!

Before

After

As you can see, the change is fairly subtle but overall, it looks MUCH smoother and the face blends in almost seamlessly with the skin of the neck, compared to before where it was obviously different. I also changed the makeup around after adding the face paint layer, both because I think it looks better than relying on the stuff from the photo, although I have taken advantage of the eye makeup by adding some from the game OVER the one that's in the photo (I feel without the game makeup, it's just too dark on its own). Truly I don't think the pictures do it due justice so much as actually seeing the change on the model as it occurs. Regardless, I feel that it is a marked improvement and I thank you again for this tip. 8-) I think I'll make regular use of it going forward.
Last edited by El Marsh on Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:27 pm

Her eyes and forehead are notably softer in contrast. If the cheeks/forehead are still too bright, maybe use another logo layer with a higher transparency.

Either way, glad I could be of assistance!

Edit:
I know the nightmares of fighting with layers of facepaint (this is from last year)
Spoiler: show

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:33 am

Okay so I rented 2k18 because I figured "Hey! I'll scratch a slight CAW itch and maybe give people some extra original universe people!"

I made half a CAW and was like 'MEH.'

Kinda sad, really.

kikrusher99
Community Member

Postby kikrusher99 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:14 am

It's just too overwhelming. I haven't wanted to create anybody since 2014.

Hikari☆Hana
Community Member

Postby Hikari☆Hana » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:31 pm

I can help with face texturing. I'll take screenshots of my own results soon, just so you get an idea of how I edit my face textures. But for now:

Wrestle Parade arena is on PS4 Community Creations:
Just search HidamariBread or PanofWonder

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:47 pm

Hikari☆Hana wrote:I can help with face texturing. I'll take screenshots of my own results soon, just so you get an idea of how I edit my face textures. But for now:

Wrestle Parade arena is on PS4 Community Creations:

Stuff like this is why I wanted to at least get 1-2 CAWs up online D:

Also face texturing is a whole other beast, I just gave the help on the transparent face paint because it helps smooth faces :B