WWE 2K18

Nth
Community Member

WWE 2K18

Postby Nth » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Finally some news about the game is starting to come out.

SpiderFab4 wrote:Also, 2K18 WON'T be on Playstation 3 or X-Box 360.

Yep, from news released today apparently the entire graphics engine for 2K18 has been completely done over from the ground up with the development teams who used to work on the older systems now working solely on the new graphics engine.

The new engine allows for skin shaders, physical based rendering, real time lighting and skin and camera effects. There will be a noticeable and 'dramatic' difference in graphic fidelity and wrestler models from 2K17, reported from people who have already seen the game in action, which kinda has me excited as a PS4 Pro owner.

Gameplay - 8 wrestlers in the ring at once confirmed with new modes such as 8 man tags and 8 man ladder matches. Also confirmed Royal Rumble have FINALLY been updated and will include a new elimination system. Also a ton of new cutscenes and reactions for wrestlers eliminations have been added whereas before we had the one or two same reaction scenes. Tag teams will also apparently work together in Royal Rumbles.

Drag system has been updated allowing players to easily move and position opponents around the ring or onto objects, ropes.

Even more dynamic selling animations added to the game running on its own reactionary AI based on where the wrestler is in the ring, damage to the area taken and degree of damage the area has. Basically expanding on things like wrestlers pulling themselves up with the ropes or resting in the corner.

Highlight Reel updated including a free roaming camera for the create a video mode.

Overhauled Commentary system. (Will believe it when I see it personally) Micheal Cole, Byron Saxton and Corey Graves on mic. No Jerry Lawler? Game will supposedly be using the NBA 2K commentary engine which I have to admit is actually pretty amazing.

New dynamic crowd audio. Crowds will sound different based on the arena you are in. New crowd animations.

Roster reveal in August, will have around 200 wrestlers.

New Elimination chamber model, 3X larger backstage areas, including a new loading dock and garage area and more interactive elements in the areas. There will also be a free roaming backstage mode where you can talk to or attack other wrestlers in my career mode. New career mode with branching paths and career invasion updated that will span 15 years.

Create a Match allows for customized stipulations and win modifiers. Can be saved as Pre-sets for instant menu access.

Updated Create a Wrestler mode will take into account 'multiple ethnicities', because it was near on impossible to make Japanese wrestlers look Japanese in these games. Lots of new body types added as base models.

Community Creations have an updated search system and a new suggestion system based on past downloads.

Brand Extension support - Universe mode supports multiple brands with their own unique shows and PPV's.
Dynamic Storylines. What happens in a match can create a new branching path for your wrestler, like attacking your tag team partner can lead to a tag team breakup storyline.

There will also be a new online player mode called Road to Glory which will soon be expanded upon.

Fignuts
Community Member

Re: WWE 2K18

Postby Fignuts » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:41 pm

It all sounds great, but I'm checking my hype at the door after being let down last year.

Hopefully with the new graphics system we get a Dana Brooke that doesnt have a horrible monster face.

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:12 pm

Good on paper, will have to see how it plays out.

Per door hype checking I present the common quote I've already seen: "We're SO excited to announce this years fresh new coat of paint!"

rw2013
Community Member

Postby rw2013 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:05 pm

I actually haven't bought a WWE game since...I want to say 2k14? Daniel Bryan on the inside cover?

So I'm tempted, but at the same time...eh. I haven't missed them, to tell you the truth. And with World, probably even less inclined. But I'm looking forward to it being of a quality I might actually consider it this time. Sounds pretty good. 200 roster is nothing to sniff at. But yeah, what's the CAW count these days? That'd need to be pretty high too.

Severla 2.0
Community Member

Postby Severla 2.0 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:23 pm

2k17 was 100. Game isnt complete trash by any means, but its not a grand spectacle. It's 2K's typical '75% presenatation 25% gameplay' goals where its super pretty but not vastly deep.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:28 am

A lot of the career and universe modes I have never even touched in the game. Every year they come out buggy or broken, so I don't really care about that, but I do love the Royal Rumbles in these games, so seeing that at least is finally being updated is something I am excited for. Still hoping for some sort of controller mapping because I am still not a fan of the layout of the control scheme as it is.

wakigatame
Community Member

Postby wakigatame » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:30 pm

"Brand Extension support - Universe mode supports multiple brands with their own unique shows and PPV's."

That's been in Universe mode from the start...

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:04 pm

*sigh*

I really like the series, glitches, warts, and all. I feel that each of the previous three incarnations has dramatically improved on the one prior. Despite this, I guess I'm leery of getting all excited about so many new and long-awaited features at once. I really hope it all works out ideally but I think I know better. Still, I'll get the damn game. I try to tell myself each year that I'll skip it but I just enjoy creating things too much and their creation suite is aesthetically my favorite in games. Much as I used to buy Madden every year, I feel that the WWE franchise is an annual lock to receive my money.

Never thought I'd be all Byronic about a video game franchise :lol:
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage
The ultimate love is cannibalism.

Monkboon
Community Member

Postby Monkboon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Fignuts wrote:Hopefully with the new graphics system we get a Dana Brooke that doesnt have a horrible monster face.

But Dana Brooke does have a horrible monster face. She's an uglier version of Luna Vachon with 1/4 the talent.
PSN/XBOX: ManiacMonkboon

Carlzilla
Community Member

Postby Carlzilla » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:42 am

You're being generous with the talent, Monk.

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Postby Old Baby » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:41 am

I think 2k13 was the last one I bought. I haven't missed the frustration of getting excited every year and then wanting to powerbomb my console within about a week of opening the game. I look forward to seeing the changes but no plans to buy until the game's been out long enough for the honeymoon period to wear off and the real reviews start coming out.

tigermuppetcut
Community Member

Postby tigermuppetcut » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:15 pm

I had a fucking blast with 2K17 with annuql games often the big leaps ahead are every other year so I'm cagey about 2K18 but I'll certainly be watching with interest. As a wrestling game to play (rather than sim) the WWE games are now second only to VPW2 to me.

Chopper Dave
Community Member

Postby Chopper Dave » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:51 pm

I saw on NeoGAF that 2K18 is coming to Nintendo Switch as well.

https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/8 ... 8540281856

No word if it will use PS3/Xbox 360 assets (like Fifa Switch) or updated assets.
Interesting stuff. Stay tuned for more...TALES. OF. INTEREST!!!
This signature was brought to you by...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT7tac9h8Gw

RollinsPhan
Community Member

Postby RollinsPhan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:56 am

8 wrestlers on screen at once?! Oh man the glitch videos for this one are going to be EPIC!

CX1329
Community Member

Postby CX1329 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:06 pm

I'll probably get the game eventually, especially since I do like WWE 2K17 and I think it's a good game overall, but I'm not going to believe any of those marketing buzzwords and bullet points until I actually see them for myself. They promise better commentary EVERY SINGLE YEAR, for example, and to this day it's still terrible. They have zero credibility at this point when it comes to addressing legacy issues like that.

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:17 pm

I haven't actually heard the improved commentary line in some time (like since last gen) but yeah, in the immortal words of Willard Vandiver, "Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me.....I'm from Missouri, you have to SHOW ME."

Would be nice if true but nothing to hold your breath on. Still, as always, I'll get it anyway.
My favorite wrestler is Perry Saturn who has a Ph.D in F***ing Your S*** Up from Don't You Look At Me University
ImageImage

Monkboon
Community Member

Postby Monkboon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:50 pm

Well... I guess I'm due to get this one considering I bought 12, 14 and 16 pn PS3. Sad fact, I haven't bothered to create one edit on 16, not even Monkboon. I usually play HCTP, 06, DOR2, FPW and FFPW. Can't find my boot disc so I'm hurting for some KOC II and ASPW3 action.

It's nice to finally see features implemented that I've been asking for long before I was an active member on Gamespot and Mike Reagan's old site.

I usually boot up 12 to make entrances and create an entrance vids. I may pick up 17 for PS3 because of the roster ( Styles, Joe, Kana) and because it's the last game.

I'm definitely getting WOFP and 80% chance I'm getting 18 on PS4.
PSN/XBOX: ManiacMonkboon

CX1329
Community Member

Postby CX1329 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:56 am

2K17 is a good game. It won't blow your mind, but it's a good depiction of modern day WWE wrestling and Universe mode can be fun. I let the CPU run my Universe without any intervention from me and sometimes it does a surprisingly competent job at booking.

Firebreaker Chip

Postby Firebreaker Chip » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:00 pm

I think the gameplay has been getting steadily better for a couple of years and I think the reversal system is genuinely impressive for how quickly they implemented it, I just think the feature set is a bit bloated and unfocused at this point

I spend so much time in universe undoing booking decisions I didn't want, and adding newly downloaded wrestlers to rosters, then deleting them again when I realise they're 99OVR and have no moveset, and then I get ready to have a match and realise I have to go to bed

On another night I will do career mode, and it makes you wrestle the guy you're meant to be building to a PPV match with with on Smackdown and Superstars, with an insanely limited moveset because a rookie is apparently incapable of learning to climb the turnbuckle or do the advanced veteran-only technique called a "small package", etc etc

Next time I get back to it I'm just gonna do random exhibition matches

CX1329
Community Member

Postby CX1329 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:42 pm

The gameplay is surprisingly good and it works really well in a game that seeks to closely simulate the WWE. Unfortunately, the Universe mode bugs keep me from playing this too long. The one bug that always turns mid-match interferences into a handicap match pretty much ruins the match every time it happens, because the ref never ejects the wrestler interfering and he inexplicably breaks up your pins and submission attempts even though he's supposed to be helping you, so your only recourse is to get yourself DQed in order to end the match. And god forbid you unintentionally hit him, as that turns the match into a handicap contest AGAINST YOU. It's a mess, and the cutscene that triggers this situation happens too often.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:33 pm

El Marsh
Marsh the Great

Postby El Marsh » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:22 pm

So yeah, SAnity is confirmed in the game with.....

https://youtu.be/tzS-8yr_eDw

the interesting thing to me is that this is the second game in a row that features a four-person stable (the Wyatts had one last year) with an entrance

what's more is that there is a clear mix of genders, something that hasn't been allowed for stables in a few games now
perhaps we'll have the option to do that outside of the default roster ones this year?

also, they dropped 46 reveals at once lol

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianmaziq ... 00a4f4d019

My guess is that EVERYONE who was under a WWE, NXT, or Legends deal at whatever cutoff date for the roster will be included in the game. That would mean over 200 distinct characters.
ImageImage

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:14 pm

New carry system explained - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiiEhyeIeYs

RollinsPhan
Community Member

Postby RollinsPhan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:55 pm

Hard pass.

Waiting for FPWW on the PS4. :numberone:

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Postby Old Baby » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:38 pm

That new carry system looks pretty sweet. It really all hinges on how good the AI handles it IMO. Doesn't matter to me how intricate or realistic the gameplay is if the AI sucks.