Games you are playing!

Nth
Community Member

Re: Games you are playing!

Postby Nth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:40 pm

I'll be picking one up sooner than later now. Was going to get a new vid card for the PC first, but with the recent hike in GPU prices I'll definitely be holding off until they come down again, so a Switch, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey and a Pro Controller have all been sitting on my Amazon wishlist for a while now.

soak314
Community Member

Postby soak314 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:59 am

Gave Hunt: Showdown a whack. It's got amazing atmosphere, and a really deliberate pace, but it's still just a battle royale game at the end of the day. It feels like the World of Tanks of the BR genre, slower, more cerebral gameplay that might appeal to ... it's a battle royale dadgame is what I'm saying.

BR games just aren't my cup of tea, so I refunded it. Might be worth a gander to those who like their horror/hunting/multiplayer coop pvp tho.

TigerSword wrote:The Switch is a no brainer. Fantastic system, awesome game lineup, plus the portable ability is game changing.

Agreed, the Switch is a beast. Lightweight, super fast, pick up and play gaming that you can slap on the TV if you're so inclined.

TigerSword
Owner and Founder

Postby TigerSword » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:43 pm

Yeah, the fact that I can be lounged on the couch playing Zelda, then my girl comes.in and wants to watch something on TV, and I literally just have to pick up the base unit and I'm still playing Zelda while she's watching TV is such a nice thing.

DM_PSX
Community Member

Postby DM_PSX » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:52 pm

Old Baby wrote:Been thinking about getting a switch. My new gf loves classic Nintendo and I've been trying to figure out how to get her into modern console gaming.

There isn't much classic Nintendo to be had at the moment. There isn't much in the in the shop right now. Looks like the classic stuff will be part of the online service that launches in the fall. It will be like 20$ a year.

soak314
Community Member

Postby soak314 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:01 am

Finally settled on my first *nindie* (cripes i both love and hate that term) purchase on the Switch: Golf Story.

It literally feels really good. The first thing you'll notice booting the game up is the liberal use of the switch's rumble feature. At first it kinda bugged me, but after a while it really gave the game a tactile, solid feel. Especially in portable mode.

It also totally helps that Golf Story is a bloody solid sports RPG. Reminds me of that one GBA Mario Tennis title, the one with the super in depth story mode. Also, any aussies playing it will probably get some bonus feels from the markedly Australian setting the devs went for.

Easy recommendation.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:10 am

Took a break from Darkest Dungeon after another fatality of a veteran group member and spent a night playing Deadbolt. You play as the the Grim Reaper, who is a hitman in the underworld. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGUqv6ftYeo

Definitely reminded me of Not a Hero, although in Deadbolt you don't assemble a roster of unique and hilarious psychopaths with their own perks and abilities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DMvZOPm14Y

Recommend both games highly.

CP Munk
Community Member

Postby CP Munk » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:05 pm

Does anyone still play SvR 2010 on last gen?

I've been having a blast with story designer
Almond Free, Acorn Free and Better Than You

TigerSword
Owner and Founder

Postby TigerSword » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:05 pm

Just jumped back into Sleeping Dogs. Still one of my favorite combat systems.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:07 pm

The creators of FTL released their new strategy game Into the Breach on Steam today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaiFvuWsfy8

Beyond the trailer I know nothing about it, but considering I got over 400+ hours worth out of FTL that I bought for $5 with an included soundtrack, I gave this one a buy as well.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:57 pm

TigerSword wrote:Just jumped back into Sleeping Dogs. Still one of my favorite combat systems.

Yes! Great choice! :markout: I've been switching off between Red Dead and GTA 5 lately depending on whether I want lasso love or car catastrophes (and sticky explosions :goose: ) But I have heard the call of Sleeping Dogs beckoning me to take up the MMA Suit and Katana sword...and irish whip/throw :lol:

Sleeping Dogs has my favorite 3rd person action combat system of all time and I love the car jumping as well. I miss the martial art club gauntlets and countering like butter :D

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:42 pm

TigerSword wrote:Just jumped back into Sleeping Dogs. Still one of my favorite combat systems.

Seconded.

orochigeese wrote:Sleeping Dogs has my favorite 3rd person action combat system of all time and I love the car jumping as well. I miss the martial art club gauntlets and countering like butter :D

Uh, third-ed? :)

Loved Sleeping Dogs, loved the combat, the use of the environment in said combat, the chases (on foot or in vehicles), the city itself, the MUSIC (the MENU music is better than entire soundtracks for some games!!! Case in point, I LOVE this little loop, the first one especially, it gets caught in my head from time to time randomly...), the whole thing was epic, top to bottom. Even the DLC was good, the homage to enter the dragon is CLASSIC! Get on this if you haven't already. Thanks people, I might have to take a trip back to HK very soon now. 100%ed it on the 360, I'll have to try the remastered one I think...

Wonderland
Community Member

Postby Wonderland » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:15 pm

Space nerds:

Endless Space 2 is a nice Civ style game but heavily story oriented with cool animated (but not controllable) ship battles.

Elite Dangerous is a life threatening illness. Help.

I binged all of Battlestar Galactica then got into these. Now I'm in danger of losing it all. Worth it?

Level
AMBITION Owner

Postby Level » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:40 pm

Wonderland wrote:Space nerds:

Endless Space 2 is a nice Civ style game but heavily story oriented with cool animated (but not controllable) ship battles.

I really wanted this, but unlike Civ there is no hotseat. That's pretty much essential for me to enjoy these types of games at home. My girlfriend and sister both live with me now and they are both gamers, mostly on PC, and I don't want to buy multiple copies of the same game so we can play together.

JDP
Community Member

Postby JDP » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:11 am

I've been playing the 3D remaster of Secret of Mana lately.

A lot of people whine, bitch, and complain about the graphics but honestly they look basically about what I pictured them looking in a remaster. They're very similar to the original sprites, just 3D. That being said they could have improved on some of the animations a little bit to work with the fact they have 3D graphics now. In cut scenes the mouths don't even move, for example. The gameplay is fine, and basically the same as the SNES game with a couple minor improvements (easier diagonal movement, you can set it to allow more than 4 of each item, etc)

The remastered songs as probably the worst part. Now, I won't say all of the songs are bad as there are a small handful they did really well - but the rest of them? Hot garbage. Luckily, you can simply toggle the old SNES soundtrack on. Almost like they knew the remasters sucked, and didn't have time to redo them before release so they just gave you an option to stop the pain. The voice acting is also a mixed bag, but this one doesn't bother me very much as my favorite game of all time is probably CastleVania Symphony of the Night, ergo I have no right to talk trash about bad voice acting, haha. You can toggle on the Japanese voices, or simply turn the voices off entirely though.

One cool feature they added is sometimes when you sleep at an inn to hard save (there is an auto-save feature which is good because the game has a memory leak and crashes sometimes) you often get little skits between the three characters not at all unlike a Tales of game which adds additional personality to the three which were fairly barren in the original game.

Overall in spite of the flaws, as a fan of the original I'm pretty happy with the remake (aside from the crashing. They gotta fix that crap).
My Horrific Creations!: JDP's Delightful Grapplers

soak314
Community Member

Postby soak314 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:23 am

Wonderland wrote:Space nerds:

Elite Dangerous is a life threatening illness. Help.

I binged all of Battlestar Galactica then got into these. Now I'm in danger of losing it all. Worth it?

Yes.

I'll be joining you in that sea of stars if I ever catch you online. Got Elite updated and am quite keen to see what the 10 gigabyte fuss is all about.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:30 am

I think when I bought Into the Breach I was given a free copy of FTL. Since I already have it, I 'think' I am able to Steam gift my additional copy if anyone wants it.

soak314
Community Member

Postby soak314 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:36 am

Nth wrote:I think when I bought Into the Breach I was given a free copy of FTL. Since I already have it, I 'think' I am able to Steam gift my additional copy if anyone wants it.

Same here! It's a damn fine game.

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:58 am

Ever play a game and feel bad about beating a boss? First time I experienced remorse for a boss kill was Shadow of the Colossus back on the PS2. Well, this time it's in Dark Souls of all places. Usually I feel like I've won the Super Bowl after each on of those soul sucking deviants falls, but then I ran into Sif the Great Grey Wolf. I felt bad finishing that amazing beast, I don't know why we couldn't just have made a truce and shared some undead rat kabobs over an open bonfire together, and gone on to defeat the land of Lordan as a team. This game keeps tugging me along, getting my ass handed to me in Sen's Fortress now, f**k pendulums, f**k lightning slinging cobra magicians, and f**k Indiana Jones style boulders, but I can't stop playing. :)

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:08 pm

Oh man, I've been out of the For Honor loop for a while but I see I am going to have to get back into it because I just found out among the character classes they added was the Aramusha 2 sword Samurai. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tZ3xFdEsRk

Highlander and Gladiator classes also added - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4BMaTRFcho

soak314
Community Member

Postby soak314 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:43 pm

Splatoon 2

This game does one thing very, very well. It establishes a world not through narrative, but through aesthetic and game structure.

I just got through my first Splatfest, a regularly re-occuring in-game event that splits, then pits, the playerbase against each other in an absurd celebration of differing opinions (this particular Splatfest asks players to pick between the sides: "Which came first, chicken or egg?").

A Splatfest is accompanied by a change in the game's tone for its 24 hour duration. The typically bright lobby-world goes dark as a night theme settles in.

A stage is erected atop the building you frequent for accessing multiplayer battles. Upon it, the game's two musical emcees (Pearl and Marina), put on a non-stop concert show.

User-created art litters the lobby-city, lit up in neon and plastered all over the lobby-city's walls, signs, and jellyfish. Pretty much all of the art involves humor around eggs and chickens.

All the game's usual songs are replaced with versions that are Pearl and Marina's covers. They sing all these songs in Splatoon's gurgly, made up language, and their familiar voices remain omnipresent throughout your Splatfest participation. It lends the Splatfest a truly special air that is only enhanced by its limited time nature.

Once the Splatfest ends, the results are tallied up for the entire region (in this last Splatfest's case, both EU and US shared results pools, it was a pretty big deal). Pearl and Marina dutifully report said results to any player who opens the game, and many jokes are made at the expense of the losing team.

No other game I have played has ever achieved a sense of in-game culture influenced by player participation as immediately believable as Splatoon's.

If you own a Switch, get this game pronto, because there's only likely a year of these Splatfests left and they are a bloody event.

Splattering everything in suspiciously white colored liquid is pretty fun too :numberone:

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Wow. What a treat.

I picked up the Shadow of the Colossus remake a while back, just been playing it over the weekend and finished the game today. I owned this game for the PS2 when it came out, I only got as far as the fifth colossus before someone "borrowed" my copy and I never saw it again. Fast forward a decade, and I get to experience this amazing game for the first time. If you've played the game before, Bluepoint Games KILLED this, they got everything right, the game looks and sounds incredible, and it's totally worth picking up and experiencing again. I know it had great "bones" to begin with (the PS2 game is a classic), but Bluepoint really treated it with reverence and respect, and it shows in the entire package.

I'm not blown away very often anymore, I'm getting jaded, I hate that I'm aware of that but can't seem to change it, I don't often get really excited or moved by much anymore, but this game made me feel like a kid at Christmas again. I could play this game another hundred times and I don't think it would get old. I never do the new game plus thing (BAAAAACKLOG!!! No time...) even though I've always thought it was a good option for games to have, but I will play through SotC at least a few more times, and will likely revisit it every couple of months.

If you've never played the game and have a PS4, treat yourself and pick it up. Barely any dialogue, a big empty, quiet, gorgeous world, amazing musical score, fun fights with the colossi, a pretty amazing story, and definitely different than anything else you're playing right now, this sucker has definitely cemented a top five favourite games position for me. Awesome stuff! :D

sonny615
First FPCPP Champion

Postby sonny615 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Edit: oh and you guys are totally making me wanna play Sleeping Dogs every time I visit this part of the forum.

Nth wrote:I think when I bought Into the Breach I was given a free copy of FTL. Since I already have it, I 'think' I am able to Steam gift my additional copy if anyone wants it.

From what I read online the codes are somehow linked to into the breach so you can't gift them. Perhaps I'm wrong.
I wanted to give a copy of FTL to my little brother but I bought Into The Breach right aftet the promo ended.

DakotaK
King of Joshi Puroresu

Postby DakotaK » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:19 pm

Into the Breach is amazing.
Never played FTL, but watched a bunch of videos on it, so a new game by the developer piqued my interest.
And I love grid-based strategy games, so I picked up Into the Breach right away and am loving it.
Dakota's FPW Gallery | Showcase only!
orochigeese wrote:Dakota's World of Joshi Puroresu turns FPR into Fire Pro R: Queen's Special.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:20 pm

sonny615 wrote:Edit: oh and you guys are totally making me wanna play Sleeping Dogs every time I visit this part of the forum.

From what I read online the codes are somehow linked to into the breach so you can't gift them. Perhaps I'm wrong.
I wanted to give a copy of FTL to my little brother but I bought Into The Breach right aftet the promo ended.

I just checked and it is showing up in my gift registry and will allow me to select someone on my list to send it to. It does say I am not allowed to trade it though, but gifting seems to be fine.

sonny615
First FPCPP Champion

Postby sonny615 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:13 pm

DakotaK wrote:Into the Breach is amazing.
Never played FTL, but watched a bunch of videos on it, so a new game by the developer piqued my interest.
And I love grid-based strategy games, so I picked up Into the Breach right away and am loving it.

Same. Never played FTL (although it's there in my library) but bought Into The Breach and played it for a couple of hours over the weekend.
It's so good!