Games you are playing!

BakFu888
Community Member

Re: Games you are playing!

Postby BakFu888 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:50 pm

Still messing with Dark Souls (in The Depths right now, recently discovered the wonders of CURSE... :( ), such a HUGE game, I can't believe there are THREE of these beasts (and it's moody Victorian cousin Bloodbourne, STILL can't finish the Cleric Beast... :evil: ). It's odd how you just keep learning with Dark Souls, and how often you regret choices made with respect to upgrades/level increases made with your hard earned souls. What an odd experience, it feels like a Stockholm syndrome type experience, but I think it's just so rewarding being able to handle an enemy easily after being decimated by it over and over again in your first few encounters. Odd stuff.

Speaking of odd, I also started Nier Automata last night. Anyone with a PS4, an interest in action RPGs, and love for Platinum Games fare needs to check this out. The game defies pigeon holing by jumping around from genre to genre seamlessly as you play, looks AMAZING, the combat is fun and the enemies are interesting (look like wind up robot toys...). The first boss fight is AWESOME and reminded me right away of Metel Gear Rising, building-sized boss attacking you with limbs made of heavy earth moving equipment, crazy stuff. The music, ambient or otherwise, is a real treat. I can't wait to get back into this strange experience again, it's nice to see novel stuff like this still being made in the era of non stop, safe known money making ,micro transaction/ pay to win, FPS/sports/AC sequels. Hopefully the success of games like Nier will drive cool, innovative, niche games into existence and not just the safe, mass consumption stuff. Try Nier!!! :)

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:50 pm

Just picked up Wulver Blade on PSN. A sidescrolling hack and and slasher set in ancient Scotland with plenty of decapitations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PibH10WXaYw

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:58 pm

Shadow of Colossus Remastered and Monster Hunter now both installed. Also picked up Dragon Sinker, definitely paying homage to the old 8 bit Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games it seems to be a combination of both styles, includes a job system and multi party system to mix and match up to 12 characters. With a PS+ discount I definitely have to give this a try.

SonnyBone
Community Member

Postby SonnyBone » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:49 am

ICONOCLASTS!!!!! Lovin it, dont want it to end

And Nth ^ Same. Workin on MHW, just beat SOTC remake on normal. Will go back and do hard mode and get those extra trophies on run 2. Also looking forward to what comes out of those gold coin situation.

Replaying Oracle of Seasons / Ages for some study/reference material. Also getting ready to start up Observer and get back into my PSVR backlog. Skyrim VR is super addicting but the scope of it all just scares me. Still chipping away at Killer Instinct XB1 every once in a while. Love that game! OH and Everybody's Golf.

edit: i basically own every system and game i could ever want now, so i'm just grinding backlogs and getting new releases as I have time, which is kinda rare compared to the old days.
#FetidToads

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:13 pm

SonnyBone wrote:ICONOCLASTS!!!!! Lovin it, dont want it to end

And Nth ^ Same. Workin on MHW, just beat SOTC remake on normal. Will go back and do hard mode and get those extra trophies on run 2. Also looking forward to what comes out of those gold coin situation.

Yeah, has anyone figured out what those do yet? The only speculation I have heard so far is that they eventually may unlock access to an all new colossus that was made specifically for the remaster.

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:26 pm

I have been mostly playing Red Dead for the past two weeks. Still the best game of the last generation to me. Somehow keep having new experiences that I've never had before and finding funny new things.

I've also been playing the PSN demo for NBA Elite - the EA game that was never released after the VG community skewered it for a few public glitches. The demo (from years ago) is better than full games I've played and I've been enjoying the limited Dynasty mode where you get to control your created player in a rookie game. There's also a zen to the controls (especially dribbling/shooting) that makes even demo shoot-around fun. I play this demo every year or so just because all all the 2K games, while complete game experiences, have controls and gameplay that always feel a little bloated to me.

Fignuts
Community Member

Postby Fignuts » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:44 am

Found a way to get into a public lobby without anyone else in it, in GTA Online. Now my friends and I can run businesses without level 100+ players in fully upgraded jets greifing us. Already making a lot of bank from it.

I swear, playing this with friends I've laughed so hard I couldn't breath countless times.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:40 pm

I beat the early access of Deep Sky Derelicts in one sitting. It's basically just a demo and you only get 4 derelicts to loot before the early access ends, but it did leave me wanting more. Love that whole Heavy Metal vibe it has to it and with character customization, that's always a big plus for me. It's basically Darkest Dungeon in space, so I suppose I can still boot up Darkest Dungeon to get my fix.

Also the Secret of Mana remake releasing on the PSN store tomorrow and I am looking forward to that. I've had it pre-ordered for months and I want to play through it and then go back and play through the original on my SNES classic mini. I loved it when it originally came out after thinking I would hate it, but I haven't played it again since its original release so I forget almost everything about the story except the travel by cannon and the evil Santa boss.

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:56 pm

Darkest Dungeon is driving me insane. Like the HP Lovecraft insane since this game pretty much takes place entirely in the Lovecraftverse and maintaining not only your characters health is a big gameplay factor but also dealing with keeping them sane.

A pretty neat gameplay feature as every time you send a team delving into the underworld below the mansion they often come out with their sanity deeply affected.
It creates some interesting results. I actually had one character die of heart attack because he completely lost his sanity while we were trying to escape from a dungeon while low on supplies and torches and being attacked and walking into traps.
I've also seen some characters develop the Masochist trait when they lose their first bar of sanity. They refuse to be healed or armored, they spout insanity and taunt monsters into attacking them first and become completely suicidal. On the other hand there is also a chance of insanity working in your favor as every time your character reaches his breaking point he does a resolve test to see if he succumbs to the insanity or actually gets emboldened and turns into a badass with a special virtuous trait.

Characters develop so many crazy traits (I've even seen necrophilia as a trait) in this game that it becomes a job in itself dealing with their mental well being why you're hanging around the Hamlet. There's an Abbey, a Sanitarium and a Tavern that can all be used to deal with your characters mental and physical traumas. Drinking at the bar, brothel, and gambling are all available in the tavern, although characters who frequently use the same things to calm their sanity after missions can eventually have a negative effect as well. Drinkers can be come drunks, gamblers can start losing money (or gaining it) and brothels can incur some sexual deviancy. Some characters will completely refuse certain activities.

They Abbey lets you meditate, flagellate or pray as some of your characters start off pretty religious and will not partake in other forms of activity, although they can be corrupted once exposed to the horrors.I have one character who developed an anti-theism trait after witnessing the horrors and refuses to use the Abbey at all.

I had a man at arms lose his sanity in the dungeons and became a masochist. He developed some bloodthirsty traits and the only option it let me have to restore his sanity was to send him to the Abbey to get flagellated.

The Sanitarium actually lets you lock up a character to remove or change traits, but it tend to be pretty expensive. But I have two characters who are kleptomaniacs and they keep stealing the teams loot on dungeon crawls so when I can afford it I am going to have to send them to the Sanitarium to have that trait removed.
I've also got one of my characters currently infected with the Red Plague, and another with some disease called Boiling Entrails.

With the DLC they added some new character classes and a nice base building/upgrading mechanic that really adds to the game. The games timescale goes by weeks at a time and I am currently on Week 10, which is still pretty early in the game, but already things are starting to happen around the town that are affecting it. I am wondering if there is a time frame where you have to complete missions that are imminently affecting the town as the horrors are slowly building up.

If anyone is into turnbased strategy RPG games, I highly recommend this. I also recommend watching a starter tips and tricks vid like this https://youtu.be/H0mtSpTeTIg before you start. I may even start my run over again to correct some early mistakes I made.

Theamashoon
Community Member

Postby Theamashoon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:49 am

The wife bought me a new Switch and with it Super Mario Oddessy. Man oh man. I feel like I'm a kid again in the 80s playing Mario. Has it been that long? Fuck, I'm old! Anyway, amazing game, but my poor PS4 is getting no playtime....

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:48 am

Nth wrote:Darkest Dungeon is driving me insane. Like the HP Lovecraft insane since this game pretty much takes place entirely in the Lovecraftverse and maintaining not only your characters health is a big gameplay factor but also dealing with keeping them sane.

This sounds awesome from your write-up. I love the status elements that include traits other games don't, like sanity. I'm not really that into turn-based RPG's but I love the way this game handles it all. Sounds like they totally understood how to work Lovecraftian lore and feel into this genre of game and make it shine :goocifer:

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:28 am

It's driving me insane. I've started over several times with different opening strategies. I always seem to end up with most of my roster either getting killed or going insane. I've also experienced a few characters going AWOL, literally. I actually had to look in the weekly report to see what happened. One of my Vestral characters (Healer character) was recuperating at the Abbey with some meditation, had a vision and decided she needed to go on a religious pilgrimage and took off for a few weeks, which left me with no healer.

Then my chief Highwayman character went gambling, lost 1000 gold, then lost one of our relics gambling so not enough money to buy supplies for the next mission. THEN my Man-at-Arms got syphilis in the brothel, THEEEEEN my Grave Robber got infected with a blood disease which has the probability of infecting any area he uses to regain sanity. So when I sent him out on a night of drinking, HE INFECTED THE WHOLE BAR and if I send any other characters to the bar they have a chance of getting infected. So I finally get a new Vestral and she decides she doesn't want to go on missions with my Abomination character, so I have no money, no healer, half my roster either sick or insane and the other half a bunch of low powered newbies getting killed on milk runs. So I abandoned the campaign and started over. This time doing better, only one fatality so far, everyone still sane and relatively disease free.

This game is the Dark Souls of RPG's.

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:53 am

Nth wrote:It's driving me insane. I've started over several times with different opening strategies. I always seem to end up with most of my roster either getting killed or going insane. I've also experienced a few characters going AWOL, literally. I actually had to look in the weekly report to see what happened. One of my Vestral characters (Healer character) was recuperating at the Abbey with some meditation, had a vision and decided she needed to go on a religious pilgrimage and took off for a few weeks, which left me with no healer.

Then my chief Highwayman character went gambling, lost 1000 gold, then lost one of our relics gambling so not enough money to buy supplies for the next mission. THEN my Man-at-Arms got syphilis in the brothel, THEEEEEN my Grave Robber got infected with a blood disease which has the probability of infecting any area he uses to regain sanity. So when I sent him out on a night of drinking, HE INFECTED THE WHOLE BAR and if I send any other characters to the bar they have a chance of getting infected. So I finally get a new Vestral and she decides she doesn't want to go on missions with my Abomination character, so I have no money, no healer, half my roster either sick or insane and the other half a bunch of low powered newbies getting killed on milk runs. So I abandoned the campaign and started over. This time doing better, only one fatality so far, everyone still sane and relatively disease free.

This game is the Dark Souls of RPG's.

I read about this game, it seemed to be something that I'd like, so I picked it up during a sale a while back. I'd heard a lot about Darkest Dungeon, about the sanity thing, and the dark, Lovecraft inspired themes, but after reading your progress reports, I want to drop what I'm playing (Dark Souls...) and dig into this!

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:12 am

I really wish that I was into turn-based strategy games because this game sounds awesome 8-)

If this was like a free-roam game, I'd be all over this :indigo: :goocifer:

So I finally get a new Vestral and she decides she doesn't want to go on missions with my Abomination character

There's no "I" in "team", Vestral :evil:

Spoiler: show
Just one in "vestralicide"

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:12 pm

The game is intentionally punishing. It's one of those games where you know a campaign can go down in flames pretty quickly, even when you seem to be doing fine, but it's when you get those little moments of victory that keep you coming back to it over and over. When you get to name and customize your characters the game gives you that little bit of attachment to them, especially when they go on dozens of missions and have been built up and then they end up dying on something stupid like bleeding out or poison. There is actually a graveyard in the Hamlet where you can go and see all your dead characters as well.

I also have to give props to voice actor Wayne June who plays the Narrator in this game. All through the game he chimes in with just perfectly spot on comments about what you're doing and it adds so much to the Lovecraft atmosphere when he comments on the horrors and just the general nihilism of the universe.

This was actually a Kickstarter game that I am kicking myself for not backing when it was first in development. I just bought the additional DLC which includes a side campaign called The Crimson Court which looks like it might deal with vampires and two new character classes.

And the character classes are another thing. They're great, although you have to play with them to find out what they do. 17 classes and I still don't know what they all do yet.

The Vestals are the healer class as I figured out.
The Grave Robber, still not sure what their specialty is but they like knives.
The Abomination, one of his special skills is to transform into a monster and religious characters don't seem to like them.
The Crusader, religious knight, high offense abilities.
The Man at Arms, tank like character good for defense.
The Antiquarian, good for team buffing and finds relics and heirlooms in dungeons. The more you bring on a mission the more loot you will find.
The Plague Doctor, uses poisons and alchemy and can also counter enemy poisons.
The Hellion, uses a halberd.
The Houndmaster, guy has a dog with him he uses for his attacks.
The Shieldreaker, uses spear and shield
The Bounty Hunter, looks like a viking.
The Leper, high damage character, but slow and tends to miss.
The Arbalest, uses a giant crossbow, ranged character.
The Highwayman, good at long range with pistol and short range with knife.
The Occultist, have only had one so far and he died before I really could use him.
The Flagellant, worships pain and gets stronger the more damage he takes.
The Jester, more like a ninja.

A fitting tribute https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptUMw6SEYEc

EDIT: Oh I love this. Each character in the game gets a one page comic strip showing their backstory https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1161026234

Nth
Community Member

Postby Nth » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:10 am

I'm about 30 some odd weeks into my longest and most successful Darkest Dungeon run yet.
Four fatalities so far including two starting characters, two of which who died fighting the first dungeon boss of the Crimson Court side quest. My Plague Doctor, Raven Black, bled out from injuries fighting the Crocodilian while my Vestal healer Lady Snowblood was dragged down and killed by it before my Crusader, Captain Croaker and his sidekick Highwayman Krik the Bastard finished it off with sword and pistol. Fortunately the weekly stage coach arrived at the Hamlet with Croaker's old friend Man at Arms Sgt. Murgen to help fill one of those slots. Been waiting months and still no new Plague Doctors from the stage coach has arrived in town to replace my other one.

I did discover that the Eldritch infection does in fact spread throughout the Hamlet over time unless you complete quests to slow it down. I've received numerous notices of townsfolk being attacked by various creatures, but I think killing the Crocodilian in the Crimson Court and the Necromancer Apprentice in the Ruins may have slowed the spread, although sending expeditions into the Crimson Court pretty much guarantees at least one person getting infected which means return trips to obtain blood vials so they don't succumb to the wasting disease that occurs if they don't consume blood for a long enough period of time.

Finally taking advantage of the camping mechanic now. As my current troupe of mercenaries level up, they are refusing to take on low level missions which means I have to take on the longer more difficult expeditions which actually involve having to camp in the dungeons for a night. All characters have various camping skills to help buff your party while you rest and recuperate. I learned the skill to protect from ambushes is a very nice one to have when my first camp was attacked in the middle of the night.

Also was introduced to wandering bosses with the arrival of The Fanatic. An insane monk who wanders dungeons hunting down monsters from the Crimson Court. That's all well and good unless you have characters who have the Crimson Curse blood infection, in which case The Fanatic considers them enemies and if he appears in dungeons you are exploring will relentlessly hunt your party down until you kill him. I'm extra nervous because three of my top tier characters all currently have the infection and I am terrified of running in to him until they are strong enough to take him on.

Did get some relief with some nice town events including a visit from a group of wandering nuns who provided free medical care at the Sanitarium for a week and I got some diseases on the roster cleared up and a couple psychological issues taken off while saving a ton of gold as well.

I find I can only play a couple hours at a time now before the stress of the game starts to get to me, but it always has me coming back. I'm currently on vacation so more than once I've woken up in the middle of the night and just had the urge to go back into the dungeons.

DM_PSX
Community Member

Postby DM_PSX » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:38 am

Currently playing Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, it's amazing. Just got a Switch and it totally lives up to the hype. Fire Pro would be amazing on this.

BakFu888 wrote:Still messing with Dark Souls
One of my favourite games. It's really just a big Metroidvania / Ocarina of Time type game, but with 'omg it's so hard' window dressing. Once you understand what's happening and how the mechanics work, it gets a lot easier, and you understand that you are invincible / have infinite lives. :)

orochigeese
E-Fed Pimp

Postby orochigeese » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:48 am

Nth wrote:Also was introduced to wandering bosses with the arrival of The Fanatic. An insane monk who wanders dungeons hunting down monsters from the Crimson Court. That's all well and good unless you have characters who have the Crimson Curse blood infection, in which case The Fanatic considers them enemies and if he appears in dungeons you are exploring will relentlessly hunt your party down until you kill him. I'm extra nervous because three of my top tier characters all currently have the infection and I am terrified of running in to him until they are strong enough to take him on.

That is scary as shit. Not only do you have to deal with the usual monsters but some rogue monk specifically gunning for you? :|

Nth wrote:Did get some relief with some nice town events including a visit from a group of wandering nuns who provided free medical care at the Sanitarium for a week

Sounds like the equivalent of the ice cream man :lol:

Nth wrote:I find I can only play a couple hours at a time now before the stress of the game starts to get to me, but it always has me coming back. I'm currently on vacation so more than once I've woken up in the middle of the night and just had the urge to go back into the dungeons.

If there was ever a game with a developer mission to drive its players literally crazy, this is it :upsidedownlol: :goocifer:

BakFu888
Community Member

Postby BakFu888 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:06 am

DM_PSX wrote:One of my favourite games. It's really just a big Metroidvania / Ocarina of Time type game, but with 'omg it's so hard' window dressing. Once you understand what's happening and how the mechanics work, it gets a lot easier, and you understand that you are invincible / have infinite lives. :)

Wow, nicely distilled, insightful view! You're 100% right, it's odd how hopeless and clueless you feel when you start, but the longer you go along, the more you screw up, the more you DIE, the more the game makes sense and the easier it gets! And yeah, you really are invincible, although during some boss fights, it doesn't seem that way. I beat the hydra and the capra demon on my first try, but don't ask me how many times the moonlight butterfly and the bell gargoyles whipped my ass. The Stray Demon and Havel also beat me senseless the first few encounters I had with them, but you start to learn, or get gud as they say. Blightown has been tough, but not impossible. I can't wait to finish this beast and crack into the rest of the series, DS1 still looks okay, the environment helps foster a feeling of doom and hopelessness, but it is showing its age, and it will be cool to see what the added horsepower of current gen consoles will add to the creepy monsters and oppressive environments of the rest of the series! :D

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Postby Old Baby » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:21 am

I've picked up Shadow of Mordor about 4 times since I got it at Christmas and keep putting it down after about 20 minutes. I must just be getting old because I don't have any patience for learning the controls. Maybe I'm just spoiled with PC and point/click interfaces, because I'm still able to sink plenty of time into WoW and Darkest Dungeon.

SpiderFab4
Community Member

Postby SpiderFab4 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:44 am

Basically been spending most of my gaming time into downloading CAWs for WWE 2K18 for X-Box One and 2K17 for both Xbone and 360. It's amazingly frustrating how many CAWs contain bad ratings (way too high or way too low) or even worse, default movesets. Look, they don't need to deal with Fire Pro style logic in WWE games, are a couple numbers and moves too much to ask?
Get your Hanes on, lace up your Nikes, grab your Wheaties and your Gatorade and we'll pick up a Big Mac on the way to the ball park.

IamAres
Community Member

Postby IamAres » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:20 am

DM_PSX wrote:Currently playing Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, it's amazing. Just got a Switch and it totally lives up to the hype. Fire Pro would be amazing on this.

I'm playing Breath of the Wild right now, too. Holy balls, this game is amazing. Unless it somehow takes a sharp, sharp nosedive at some point, this will have to end up in my all-time top three or so. I've been a Zelda fan for literally the entire series, and this feels almost like they combined the best element of each game into one to rule them all.

I got excited for this game from literally the first ten seconds of video I saw, which are from very near the beginning, where you just see the camera pan up and away, across the world. It looked like...in the manual for the first game, there's like, a matte painting (or maybe it's even a model) of the game world. It's dense and mysterious and just slightly out of focus. I don't know how to explain it, but this game looks like that. And, somehow I could tell, in those first ten seconds of video, that you could go anywhere you can see, and that exploring those places would be hella cool. I never watched or looked up literally anything else about this game at all. I was sold that hard.

What I don't know is why it took me so long to start playing it. Maybe I just didn't want to bust out the Wii U again, or maybe I was afraid it wouldn't live up to the totally impossible expectations I had in my head. But, holy shit, does it live up. This game is kind of what I was seeing in my head and imagining, when I would play the very first game as a kid. It's not very often, as an adult, that something can really enter your head and make an impression the way it would have when you were a kid, but for me at least, this game has.

Now watch, the next time I play it, it will piss me off furiously somehow and I'll never touch it again. :lol:
Also slightly there's something happy, so enjoy it!

Torvar
Community Member

Postby Torvar » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:20 pm

We bought a switch with taxes for the family so I have been playing 4 player Mario Cart 8 Deluxe, Breath of the Wild and picked up Kingdome Come Deliverance all are great games the only thing about Kingdome Come that suck is lockpicking is a pain in the as. But 4 player Mario Cart with the kids can't be beat.

Old Baby
Flaming Bob's Dad

Postby Old Baby » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:26 pm

Torvar wrote:We bought a switch with taxes for the family so I have been playing 4 player Mario Cart 8 Deluxe, Breath of the Wild and picked up Kingdome Come Deliverance all are great games the only thing about Kingdome Come that suck is lockpicking is a pain in the as. But 4 player Mario Cart with the kids can't be beat.

Been thinking about getting a switch. My new gf loves classic Nintendo and I've been trying to figure out how to get her into modern console gaming.

TigerSword
Owner and Founder

Postby TigerSword » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:32 pm

Old Baby wrote:
Torvar wrote:We bought a switch with taxes for the family so I have been playing 4 player Mario Cart 8 Deluxe, Breath of the Wild and picked up Kingdome Come Deliverance all are great games the only thing about Kingdome Come that suck is lockpicking is a pain in the as. But 4 player Mario Cart with the kids can't be beat.

Been thinking about getting a switch. My new gf loves classic Nintendo and I've been trying to figure out how to get her into modern console gaming.

The Switch is a no brainer. Fantastic system, awesome game lineup, plus the portable ability is game changing.